Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Kiwidiva, I know a Maori princess by the name of Reina Waters who lives in Mt. Manganui. She would be in her early 40's about now. She kinda looks like you. Any relation?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
IT'S JUST ENTERTAINMENT ... IT'S NOT REAL!!!!
No, it surely isn't. But neither were the works of Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, the Grimm brothers, or Hans Christian Anderson, and the number of books written ABOUT those works is enough to fill entire shelves in the library, which they do. Sure, it's just entertainment, but for some of us, it can be as fun, meaningful, and entertaining to talk about that entertainment. I dedicated the entirety of my undergraduate study to such pursuits.
Old October 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Kanaka

OK, I stand corrected on the Palace, I guess it is supposed to be across the street. I do agree, though, that the camera seems to move around a lot, which gives the show a nice pace, but the camera never lingers anywhere. This jumpiness as a cinematographic technique (emulating a hand-held device) got it's start a few years back with NYPD Blue, when it was used to a really irritating degree for nearly a whole season b/4 they slowed it down a bit.

The problem is that one of the biggest stars of the show is Hawaii. Like the lights and deserts of Vegas and the semi-tropical settings of the CSI shows already mentioned, the beautiful backdrop of this show is The Islands, esp. Oahu. So... why just a glimpse of things? Keep the camera on certain scenes longer, with dialog in the background to fill things in. And mix it up. Go to nonusual places, like up the Tantalus Drive, for example, where even locals hardly ever go (except for a better view of da submarine races, of course!)
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Ali`i

When is Alex O'Loughlin or Scott Caan use sunglasses as a prop for dramatic acting?
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:40 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
When is Alex O'Loughlin or Scott Caan use sunglasses as a prop for dramatic acting?
Um. What?
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Ali`i

TV Squad offers some input as to the what direction the show should be headed. For the most part, it's spot-on.

Quote:
Put more emphasis on Scott Caan. Just three episodes in, it's pretty apparent that Scott Caan's version of Danno is the breakout character of this show. He's intense, he loves his daughter and will do anything for her, and doesn't follow McGarrett around like a lapdog. The writers have wisely given the modern-day Danno his own back story; we know more about Danno at this point than we know about any of the other main characters, and that's mainly because of Caan's performance.
As if Scott Caan isn't already overshadowing lead actor Alex O'Loughlin as it is, TV Squad thinks Caan should be emphasized more? But you know something? I agree. My personal feeling was that if the producers wanted a stronger Steve McGarrett character who would carry the show, then they should have picked an older actor with a stronger screen presence. Someone who could project an air of authority and confidence over anyone else on the show. But O'Loughlin is nearly the same age as Caan. He doesn't have a tenth of the charisma that Jack Lord had. And his acting like the impetuous, loose cannon while the new Danno is more cautious and plays things "by the book" further diminishes the sense of McGarrett being a law enforcement leader who is in control over his team. The way things are headed, I do think the network might have to give serious consideration to having O'Loughlin and Caan being promoted as "co-stars" of Hawaii 5-0, instead of O'Loughlin being the main star.

The writer keeps talking about utilizing Grace Park more, and that makes sense. But at the same time, I don't think Daniel Dae Kim's role should be neglected. The burden that is placed on Chin Ho struggling to shake off the allegations that he was a bad apple in HPD's cart should be part of a developing storyline, which eventually leads to exposing who was responsible for the frame-up and clearing Officer Kelly's reputation once and for all.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Um. What?
Then, there's a Roger Daltrey's scream after the sunglasses move.
Old October 11th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Kiwidiva, I know a Maori princess by the name of Reina Waters who lives in Mt. Manganui. She would be in her early 40's about now. She kinda looks like you. Any relation?
not that i know of but i come from a huge ohana and the family tree spreads all over aotearoa and the globe so maybe?
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM
Ali`i

Mike Perry and Augie T make their debuts tonight - and watch for the 'traffic whip-around' from the airport off-ramp, to somewhere in west O`ahu and then a quick turn to the H3 tunnels - all in the same chase!
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
Mike Perry and Augie T make their debuts tonight -
Wen goin' get Andy Bumatai?

btw: The U of Maryland marching band won the online voting for the Hawaii 5-0 theme.
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Ali`i

Looks like they worked in Scott Cann's knee injury into the storyline. Also the return of the shave ice guy.
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Wen goin' get Andy Bumatai?
I wonder how available he is now that he's living in NoCal, repping Kona Deep Water and back on the road doing stand-up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
[...]Also the return of the shave ice guy.
Taylor Wily. Happy to see him in a somewhat recurring role.
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Ali`i

I loved Augie T's appearance and his line re. the helicopter: "you buss 'em, you buy 'em".

Also, at the end, when McGarret and his sister were at the grave of their father (at Punchbowl no less), the gravestone read "John McGarret". Did I see that correctly, or am I missing something?
Old October 12th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Ali`i

The dad's name is John. Are asking about if the last name is spelled 'McGarret' or 'McGarrett'?
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
Also, at the end, when McGarret and his sister were at the grave of their father (at Punchbowl no less), the gravestone read "John McGarret". Did I see that correctly, or am I missing something?
We just have to always keep in mind that they are connecting the old, but yet make no connection with the old.

I like the sister's line of how the Dad treated them like they don't exist. Well....they didn't on the old 5-0.
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post

As if Scott Caan isn't already overshadowing lead actor Alex O'Loughlin as it is, TV Squad thinks Caan should be emphasized more? But you know something? I agree. My personal feeling was that if the producers wanted a stronger Steve McGarrett character who would carry the show, then they should have picked an older actor with a stronger screen presence. Someone who could project an air of authority and confidence over anyone else on the show. But O'Loughlin is nearly the same age as Caan. He doesn't have a tenth of the charisma that Jack Lord had. And his acting like the impetuous, loose cannon while the new Danno is more cautious and plays things "by the book" further diminishes the sense of McGarrett being a law enforcement leader who is in control over his team. The way things are headed, I do think the network might have to give serious consideration to having O'Loughlin and Caan being promoted as "co-stars" of Hawaii 5-0, instead of O'Loughlin being the main star.

The writer keeps talking about utilizing Grace Park more, and that makes sense. But at the same time, I don't think Daniel Dae Kim's role should be neglected. The burden that is placed on Chin Ho struggling to shake off the allegations that he was a bad apple in HPD's cart should be part of a developing storyline, which eventually leads to exposing who was responsible for the frame-up and clearing Officer Kelly's reputation once and for all.
I agree 100% with what you are saying. However, I think they got it planned out well. As we saw a bit less of the Danno, last night. It was Chin-Ho as the side kick toward the end.

We still don't know Steve McGarrett that well (yet).

But they got two good side stories cooking when they run out of material.

Danno's personal life and Chin-Ho's history, they can go to that if they need to pull an Ace from the deck of cards.

Steve McGarrett is quickly becoming Jack Lord because we know nothing about him. They gave him a hottie (Navy connection) on the USS Enterprise. I hope the writers work on that too.

Thomas Magnum had dates and was smooth with the ladies. It make him lovable and human. Steve McGarrett needs more of that.

The "all-business" attitude is quickly like father like son.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanalane View Post
The "all-business" attitude is quickly like father like son.
Are you saying that you think the old Steve McGarrett is the new Steve McGarrett's father?
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Are you saying that you think the old Steve McGarrett is the new Steve McGarrett's father?
No. See my post above the one you quoted.
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Kumu

The resturaunt that Caan & O'Loughlin visits..... Is it the one at Pearlridge?
Cause I have been there many times when I used to work at Downtown Pearlridge.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:11 AM
Ali`i

It was three strikes and you're out for me. Not gonna watch this show anymore.
Old October 13th, 2010, 02:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I'm confused. Was his name John McGarrett or Steve Holmes McGarrett?
Old October 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
The resturaunt that Caan & O'Loughlin visits..... Is it the one at Pearlridge?
Cause I have been there many times when I used to work at Downtown Pearlridge.
That restaurant was Monterey Bay Canners. There's only one,.... @ Pearlridge, as you noted.
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Kumu

There was a scene where Chin-Ho's Harley pulled up next to McGarrett's Silverado so Chin-Ho wanted to show Steve and Dano the bad guy's jacket. There was a big yellowish parking structure in the background with canvas shade things on the top floor. (time index 25:01, you view the episode at CBS.com)

Does anyone recognize that location?

Last edited by zff; October 13th, 2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old October 14th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

That's near Kawaihao St. and Queen St., the tall condo building is Keola Lai.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...6.97,,0,-29.24

Last edited by pzarquon; October 14th, 2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
That restaurant was Monterey Bay Canners. There's only one,.... @ Pearlridge, as you noted.
Mahalos.... I have been away for 10 yrs btw