Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
I would have thought the people responsible for casting the lead roles would have chosen two people with better chemistry.

They should be able to play off each other, draw energy and humor from each other and of course, intensity when the scene demands it.[...]
FH, please take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt because I'm not involved in the show. In the industry, yes, but not the show.

My guess is the main characters were put together, prior to being hired, to check out their chemistry. Something obviously worked or the potential was seen. Once hired and in pre-production a table read takes place. Again, that's another opportunity to see what chemistry is brought to the characters. An audition and a table read are a far cry from the cameras actually rolling. Personally, I'm not unhappy with how O'Laughlin and Caan play off of each other, esp. so early in the season. I like the juxtaposition of contrasting personalities; the stiffer more serious Jack Lord character and the looser more easy going James MacArthur character catapulted into the 21st century. It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.

The other thing that can't be ignored is...direction. We don't know what action the director is requesting of the actors. Good directors and good actors will collaborate. That might not be so easy early on when everyone is still trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

Anyway, just my 2. Feel free to give me change!
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

However the 1968 pilot ran for around 2 hours and the Five-O unit already existed in the show. Where as the 2010 pilot the run time is about 40 something minutes (without the commericals) and the unit is in the process of forming, even after the 2nd episode it is still known as "the task force".
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Kia`aina

I'll take your 2 cents tutusue, because you know much more than I would ever hope to know!

Thanks for the insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
FH, please take what I'm about to write with a grain of salt because I'm not involved in the show. In the industry, yes, but not the show.

My guess is the main characters were put together, prior to being hired, to check out their chemistry. Something obviously worked or the potential was seen. Once hired and in pre-production a table read takes place. Again, that's another opportunity to see what chemistry is brought to the characters. An audition and a table read are a far cry from the cameras actually rolling. Personally, I'm not unhappy with how O'Laughlin and Caan play off of each other, esp. so early in the season. I like the juxtaposition of contrasting personalities; the stiffer more serious Jack Lord character and the looser more easy going James MacArthur character catapulted into the 21st century. It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.

The other thing that can't be ignored is...direction. We don't know what action the director is requesting of the actors. Good directors and good actors will collaborate. That might not be so easy early on when everyone is still trying to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

Anyway, just my 2. Feel free to give me change!
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Re: Kelly Hu...I have no idea if she was considered for the role of Kono or not. But, at 42, she's at a demographic disadvantage...as gorgeous as she is. The industry is ruthless that way. I doubt Kelly would've created the buzz that Grace Park did even tho', imho, Kelly is the better actress. And then there are all those bikini scenes! I'm not feeling the believability factor with Grace yet.
Oh man! If it was true that the producers passed up Kelly in order to give the starring role to Grace, that was a BIG mistake. (Actually, the 2nd biggest mistake. Read on for mistake #1.) Kelly is only about 5 or 6 years older.

Kelly getting a role that becomes more prominent as time goes on sounds like a very good idea. This show needs all the help it can get.

Quote:
Re: Steve vs Danno...It seems to me that the writers went for similar personality types as the original show. I'm wondering, however, if anyone expected how great Caan would be; a big personality difference from the original Danno. I kinda feel that hampers O'Laughlin's character. There's time to make adjustments but I feel those adjustments will fall on O'Laughlin because Caan has really established his character, one that's very appealing to the viewers, in only 2 episodes. Come to think of it, he established it in the first episode.
Caan as a more outspoken Danny Williams was perfectly cast. Unfortunately, it is looking more and more like O'Loughlin is casting mistake #1. Does that mean that I think the show is doomed? Not necessarily, if the storyline of the show calls for an ensemble effort, rather than being centered around Steve McGarrett like in the old show.

The ratings for H50 2.0 have been solid so far. But I foresee problems ahead if the supposed main star can't project a greater, more confident onscreen presence.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
I'll take your 2 cents tutusue, because you know much more than I would ever hope to know!

Thanks for the insight
As a viewer you are certainly entitled to your opinion about the show...and it has merit. Not everyone is going to like every character or every story. That said, the process of casting is interesting, intense and, more often than not, misunderstood.
Old September 30th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Is there going to be a car chase scene with both characters having an open mouth expression screaming "Aaaaaa.." as the car flies through the air?
Another car chase scene would have T & T Tinting carrying a plate of glass with McGarrett & Williams driving their police vehicle through it.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
[...]
Kelly getting a role that becomes more prominent as time goes on sounds like a very good idea. This show needs all the help it can get.[...]
It appears Kelly was considered for the role of the governor.
(scroll about half way down)
Here's more info, with some character descriptions.
(The above links are from last Feb.)
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how this ensemble cast develops...or doesn't develop, as the case may be. Hitting a home run with an ensemble cast is always the goal but not always the result. It takes time.
Just want to add. That's true, and we only seen two.

I think we can agree that Magnum P.I. crew gel together very fast and very well. The only thing that took a bit of time was figuring out Rick's role.
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
It appears Kelly was considered for the role of the governor.
(scroll about half way down)
Here's more info, with some character descriptions.
(The above links are from last Feb.)
Hollywood always cover up age. So Kelly Hu can really still be a 30 year old character.

There no way Demi Moore would accept a TV role. But I do think she would make a good Governor type of character. She is "old" enough, and and yet young enough to be attractive. They could play her off as perhaps having some romantic interest in the past with the old father.

After all, in the 1st episode, the Governor wais "Your Dad was also a Friend of mine."
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Yes, the Camaro looked great. Maybe the Mustang is gone because Chevy came in as a sponsor after the pilot was shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
Speaking of Magnum PI and cars, I noticed in the preview for next week's episode, McGarret and Dano were driving around in a Ferrari. The Governor's special task force must pay pretty good.

Last edited by zff; September 30th, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Speaking of Magnum PI and cars, I noticed in the preview for next week's episode, McGarret and Dano were driving around in a Ferrari. The Governor's special task force must pay pretty good.
I didn't see it yet. In Magnum it made sense. The Ferrari was not his.

If the Camaro was not special enough, they could always fix it up with aftermarket stuff.
Old September 30th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Kumu

Oh yeah, and another thing....

I love all the little transition scenes in the show that showcase Hawaii. I know they edit those in to jazz it up, but wow, it's like the Hawaii Tourism Board produces the show. I especially love the high-definition aerial photography. Some of those shots look like they had a helicopter flying between the buildings.
Old October 1st, 2010, 09:59 AM
Ali`i

Lee Cataluna adds some perspective to 'old v. new' 5-0 in this morning's paper:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...l_formula.html
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
I love all the little transition scenes in the show that showcase Hawaii. I know they edit those in to jazz it up, but wow, it's like the Hawaii Tourism Board produces the show. I especially love the high-definition aerial photography. Some of those shots look like they had a helicopter flying between the buildings.
The production apparently has a dedicated secondary camera unit that does nothing but scour the island for 'slice of life' scenes and images for those intercut transitions. I think that's one of the smartest things they did. I personally think the chemistry between Caan and O'Loughlin is pretty good, but even if you don't -- even if the plots fall flat, and the story seems weak one week or another -- just those periodic blasts of Hawaii imagery are great.

The best part is that they're not all cliche depictions of Hawaii. There was even a shot of a homeless beach camp... though of course it probably just look like a regular picnic and camp area to the uninitiated. But the mix of surf and sand and urban shots is refreshing to me.

Especially as weather turns wet and cold on the Mainland, those rapid-fire injections of golden Hawaii (albeit somewhat over-filtered in a "CSI: Miami" oversaturated way) are going to be like IV drug injections of happy for millions of folks.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Ali`i

http://www.sportshawaii.com/

Not too late to vote for the UH band to appear on Hawaii 5-0.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
The best part is that they're not all cliche depictions of Hawaii.
Did you notice there were no bikinis in the second episode, except for the ones in the opening title sequence? I was both pleased and disappointed.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 06:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
The production apparently has a dedicated secondary camera unit that does nothing but scour the island for 'slice of life' scenes and images for those intercut transitions. I think that's one of the smartest things they did. I personally think the chemistry between Caan and O'Loughlin is pretty good, but even if you don't -- even if the plots fall flat, and the story seems weak one week or another -- just those periodic blasts of Hawaii imagery are great.
Very Miami Vice-ish, those transitions are. I think it was Michael Mann who readily admitted that his show played to the MTV crowd, emphasizing the visuals and the music while the plot was almost an afterthought. For better or worse, H50 2.0 appears to be taking the same direction.

I don't know if the Hawaii Tourism Authority had anything to do with those montages. If the HTA had their way, for sure the series would be incorporating actual hotels and tourist attractions into the stories. For instance, the original series did numerous shootings at locales like Sea Life Park, Valley of the Temples, Hanauma Bay,... and even some places that are now gone, like Paradise Park and the Oceania Floating Restaurant. Hotels like the Ilikai, the Kahala, Sheraton Waikiki, and Hawaiian Regent (now the Waikiki Marriott Resort) were also featured many times.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post

I don't know if the Hawaii Tourism Authority had anything to do with those montages. If the HTA had their way, for sure the series would be incorporating actual hotels and tourist attractions into the stories. For instance, the original series did numerous shootings at locales like Sea Life Park, Valley of the Temples, Hanauma Bay,... and even some places that are now gone, like Paradise Park and the Oceania Floating Restaurant. Hotels like the Ilikai, the Kahala, Sheraton Waikiki, and Hawaiian Regent (now the Waikiki Marriott Resort) were also featured many times.
On a related note, the opening credits obviously give Hawaiian Airlines a huge plug, wasn't a United Airlines plane in the opening credits of the original and many other episodes too?
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Ali`i

Another step toward naming the crime-fighting unit in tonight's episode; also, heavy use of the Kukui High connection . . . except the football team is the Kukui Kings (but the fans go nuts!).
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
[...]also, heavy use of the Kukui High connection . . . except the football team is the Kukui Kings (but the fans go nuts!).
In anticipation of the Kings vs Nuts confusion, an explanation can be found HERE!!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Ali`i

the best line ever about pineapple on pizza - I totally agree!!!!
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:05 AM
Ali`i

So from this episode while Chin Ho and Steve went to the same high school, it was on different years with Chin Ho being the older one.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:25 AM
Ali`i

I think Honolulu is a big enough town that all local people aren't related to each other.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
So from this episode while Chin Ho and Steve went to the same high school, it was on different years with Chin Ho being the older one.
We knew that from the pilot, because Chin Ho said McGarrett broke all of his records.

I thought this was the best episode so far. And the ending was cute.
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Ali`i

So now we know. Kukui High School is actually Iolani!