Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 28th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Yes, the Camaro looked great. Maybe the Mustang is gone because Chevy came in as a sponsor after the pilot was shot.
Still no seatbelts and very little of the driver actually looking at the road.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Ali`i

This is a fun show!

I like the way Danny defiantly wears a tie, a ratty tie to be sure, but still a tie. I wonder it he'll wear it throughout the series. It's just one of the things that make him the most interesting character in this show.
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Ali`i

And they use cell phones while operating vehicles. tsk tsk
Old September 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
A few noteable guest stars seen (don't wanna say who/whom so I do not spoil for others that has not seen episode 2 yet.
That hardly seems necessary. The title of the thread SAYS it's where the episodes and storyline will be discussed. Anyone who wants to avoid spoilers (as you probably did) will avoid the thread until they've seen the relevant episodes.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
1. Looks like this will be more of a buddy type of police show vs. the kind of show the original was - not too much focus on the wooden bad guys... some focus on the victims - much of the story still revolves around the 5-0 team.
More like the Odd Couple, combined with the level of action and violence typical of a basic cable TV show like Burn Notice. I suspect that the phenomenom of Steve & Danno butting heads with each other will be an ongoing theme throughout the series.

Quote:
4. I still miss the incidental "Hawaii Five-0" theme music sprinkled within the episodes like the original.
I do too. But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote). The original show didn't exclusively focus on the starring cast and the storylines seldom conjured up plots where it was just the four 5-0 officers singlehandedly cracking the cases all by themselves.

Quote:
5. The Danny character is the scene stealer.
I'll do you one better. I think Scott Caan is the one actor who gives the show some soul and is keeping it from sinking into the same kind of boring and incomprehensible mess that torpedoed Hawaii from the get-go. That said, I don't know if a charismatic, wise-crackin' Danno alone will be enough to captivate a TV audience over the long haul. The other actors will have to step it up.

Quote:
If the show skews too much of a "local" Hawaii lifestyle, it could lose its mainland based audience. Happened with an ABC TV show called "Byrds of Paradise"... was too local, everyone in Hawaii who watched it caught on, but the show did not connect with a mainland audience....
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
There was a lot less local flavor in this episode.
Yeah well, the audience ratings still went DOWN, from 13.8 million viewers to 12.3 million, losing the battle to ABC's Castle.

And I'm gonna have to challenge this supposed bit of conventional wisdom about Hawaii-based TV shows. Yes, Byrds of Paradise and Island Son, both knee-deep when it came to exploring local issues and themes, were ratings failures. But both shows were homespun dramas that had little to draw upon as far as action, suspense, and exotic locales went. If the new Hawaii 5-0 wants to tackle storylines that involves the Hawaiian independence movement, the environment/development debate, racial tensions, etc., etc...., I think these things can be woven into the plots, as the writers can still incorporate all kinds of explosions, car chases, and high-tech gadgetry at the right moments so that things don't get too stale for the segment of "Mainland viewers" who supposedly don't care about these themes. But for the record, I think that there is a segment of those who do care, and it would be a mistake to assume that the Byrds of Paradise experience means that such viewers are non-existent.
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
[...]But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote).[...]
A curiosity question for my challenged memory...Did the original series introduce all the supporting characters during the first 2 episodes?
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
More like the Odd Couple, combined with the level of action and violence typical of a basic cable TV show like Burn Notice. I suspect that the phenomenom of Steve & Danno butting heads with each other will be an ongoing theme throughout the series.
Typical of most buddy cop shows and movies of the past.

Quote:
I do too. But even more, I miss the stable of supporting characters that the original 5-0 featured on a regular basis. The M.E. (Doc), the forensics expert (Che Fong), the secretary (Jenny), the District Attorney (Manicote). The original show didn't exclusively focus on the starring cast and the storylines seldom conjured up plots where it was just the four 5-0 officers singlehandedly cracking the cases all by themselves.
I agree. The original Five-0 had an entire department working for them including the people you mention. I do believe they will have a medical examiner written into the series soon, played by the Japanese guy who was in the TV show HEROES. Plus they usually always called for HPD backup when situations got sticky.

So far what we have here are 4 "renegades" going at it alone (with the Governor's support... so far), skirting the letter of the law many times including the "manini" things like driving without seatbelts and using their cell phones while driving. But then we have to remind ourselves this is not total reality... and I think the actual cell phone law exempts law enforcement from that very ordinance.

Quote:
I'll do you one better. I think Scott Caan is the one actor who gives the show some soul and is keeping it from sinking into the same kind of boring and incomprehensible mess...
I'll agree with that assessment.

Quote:
And I'm gonna have to challenge this supposed bit of conventional wisdom about Hawaii-based TV shows. Yes, Byrds of Paradise and Island Son, both knee-deep when it came to exploring local issues and themes, were ratings failures. But both shows were homespun dramas that had little to draw upon as far as action, suspense, and exotic locales went. If the new Hawaii 5-0 wants to tackle storylines that involves the Hawaiian independence movement, the environment/development debate, racial tensions, etc., etc...., I think these things can be woven into the plots, as the writers can still incorporate all kinds of explosions, car chases, and high-tech gadgetry at the right moments so that things don't get too stale for the segment of "Mainland viewers" who supposedly don't care about these themes. But for the record, I think that there is a segment of those who do care, and it would be a mistake to assume that the Byrds of Paradise experience means that such viewers are non-existent.
Perhaps, but the networks try to reach the broadest of audiences with their prime time fare for maximization of eyeballs, ad revenue and ultimately profits. The show has already been set up as "light" in contrast to the original "Hawaii Five-0" that skirted on a few of those types of political topics. Perhaps if this version were more like the original, tackling those kinds of issues would probably work better.

Right now, what we have is a pretty "bang up, shoot em up get the bad guy kind of buddy cops show with some comedy tossed in." The classic Five-0 was pretty much "all business".

Last edited by mel; September 28th, 2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: minor fix of bad sentence
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Right now, what we have a pretty "bang up, shoot em up get the bad guy kind of buddy cops show with some comedy tossed in." The classic Five-0 was pretty much "all business".
I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
Old September 28th, 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I agree. In fact, I think this new version of 5-0 is closer in spirit to "Magnum PI" than the old "Hawaii 5-0".
Exactly. I was not a fan of "Magnum" but I certainly loved the original "Five-0" because it was hard hitting, all business, police drama. None of this buddy-buddy stuff. All business. I liked that.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:10 AM
Ali`i

Possibly Kelly Hu's one episode role as a staff member of the governor's office will expand into a recurring role. Kinda makes sense that it will.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:49 AM
Ali`i

the target audience for the new show is (partly) the 18-34 age group. most of them were not even alive when the original was on. they have grown up with video games, computers, cell phones etc. they also have short attention spans and thrive on instant gratification (unlike us old fogeys ) shows in the genre of the original 5-0 will just not work today, much as we might like for it too.

as i've said previously - i like the new show. i like the interplay between the 4 characters. i'm hoping they will add more core characters as they go along.
Old September 29th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Ali`i

Is there going to be a car chase scene with both characters having an open mouth expression screaming "Aaaaaa.." as the car flies through the air?
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:35 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
they also have short attention spans and thrive on instant gratification

Argh, I hate this generalization. Do you know how long I waited for the last Harry Potter book? And then I barely pulled my nose from it until I'd read the entire thing? If that's a short attention span.. do you know how long that book was!?

Anyway.. I admit to never having seen the original. One of the perils of any sort of remake, reboot, inspired by, etc, is that it's always going to be compared to the original-- and that's just going to ruin it for you if you do that. I can't watch a movie based on a book I'm familiar with because I know I'll spend the entire time comparing them, even if the movie itself stands alone. I read I Am Legend a good ten years before the movie came back, long enough to forget most of it. I enjoyed the movie so much that I went back and read the book, which was NOTHING like it. But it was still a good book, and still a good movie. You just have to learn to separate them.

Alright, well that's enough writing for my short attention span, I'm gonna go play We Farm on my iPhone.
Old September 29th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

yes - i do know how long that book was because I had to wait for it too! and i'm a senior citizen. and a "generalization" doesn't cover all parts of a spectrum - but it does cover a good portion, hence the use of that word. obviously you & i both fall to the ends of that spectrum, not the middle "generalization" section. and i was here when the original series was filmed, spent time on the set, was in an episode and was married to a cop who was also in a couple of the shows.

i can find it in my heart to like both series - different but both still good & enjoyable.
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:16 AM
Haumana

Name a traffic violation, I've seen a blue&white do it...yes without its lights on. A large number of HPD officers do NOT obey traffic laws to the letter, so I'd say its VERY realistic to show the 5-0 crew without seatbelts or talking on the phone while driving.
You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Haumana

Onto the episode:

I like how the SUV(in the first shot of the episode) drove past Aloha tower and they still called it "waikiki"

As for the car...it would seem the mustang is Danno's car and the camaro is McGarret's. I think Danno was always driving the mustang in the pilot.

Aside from the geographical issues, the show also seems to have a timewarp issue. According to the dialogue, it should have been no later than midday when they found the guy on the roof. Based on the lighting, that scene was shot at about 4-5 pm.

Perhaps Victor is the Wo Fat for this series.

I love all the Kukui HS stuff. I imagine the logo shop will change once we see the football helmet they're using in the show.

My guess is there will have to be some patch-up between the 5-0 crew and HPD down the road. They can't keep taking on assault rifle carrying terrorists with hand guns. Perhaps the 5-0 crew will nab the dirty HPD officers that framed Chin Ho.

I understand they're "trying" when they drop the local references into the script, but wherever they're writing the show, you'd think they could maintain a "local" script adviser who can tell them where to find people who "speak the bird."
You obviously are someone in the business and know what you are talking about.....

Last edited by scsdogg; September 29th, 2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsdogg View Post
I love all the Kukui HS stuff. I imagine the logo shop will change once we see the football helmet they're using in the show.
And now there is a thread for that.

So what year you grad Kukui High School

Post away over there if you are part of that community or want to specifically discuss that which is not directly connected with the show.
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsdogg View Post
Perhaps the 5-0 crew will nab the dirty HPD officers that framed Chin Ho.
Wasn't that story covered during the Season 2 DVD? Chin-Ho was accused of taking a bribe.
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Possibly Kelly Hu's one episode role as a staff member of the governor's office will expand into a recurring role. Kinda makes sense that it will.
Forgot about her. How come she didn't get the part of Kono Kalakaua? At least she is (part) Hawaiian. I'm sure at age 42, she have no fear of competition from the younger ones.

Last edited by cabanalane; September 29th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
X2. All of the Magnum crew we felt like we know them personally. Where as with the old 5-0, it was hard to say much about them outside of work.

I can see they are trying hard to develop the characters. Danno will be a winner. Steve will take some time. I'm not sure about the other two. It's not them as actors (Kim and Park). It's just I'm not really buying into the characters of Chin-Ho and Kono.
Old September 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Ali`i

Re: "geographical issues"...This has always been fun for local folks to watch and call out! But it's not a negative as I see it. Mainland viewers, for the most part, won't know the difference, or care. Screen direction and scenics ARE important. As an example, a car is driving down Kahala Ave. and makes a left turn on Hunakai. Car is now established driving camera right to left. Cut to the next scene (which immediately follows the turn) and the car is passing Hanauma Bay...a beautiful scenic and geographically not possible! The car should still be heading in a camera right to left (cr-l) direction otherwise it confuses the viewer. This sort of geographical liberty takes place in every film regardless of the location. Catching continuity blunders is a hobby for many film goers!!! Also included in continuity blunders is the lighting/shadow factor. Still, if that's what viewers are paying attention to then the show has a much bigger problem!

Re: Kelly Hu...I have no idea if she was considered for the role of Kono or not. But, at 42, she's at a demographic disadvantage...as gorgeous as she is. The industry is ruthless that way. I doubt Kelly would've created the buzz that Grace Park did even tho', imho, Kelly is the better actress. And then there are all those bikini scenes! I'm not feeling the believability factor with Grace yet.

Re: Steve vs Danno...It seems to me that the writers went for similar personality types as the original show. I'm wondering, however, if anyone expected how great Caan would be; a big personality difference from the original Danno. I kinda feel that hampers O'Laughlin's character. There's time to make adjustments but I feel those adjustments will fall on O'Laughlin because Caan has really established his character, one that's very appealing to the viewers, in only 2 episodes. Come to think of it, he established it in the first episode.

Re: viewer demographics...anapuni was right with her "partly" 18-34. The actual demos that advertisers look at are 18-54. We over 54ers don't count anapuni!
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanalane View Post
I can see they are trying hard to develop the characters. Danno will be a winner. Steve will take some time.
I like this reinterpretation of Danny Williams. The new McGarrett? So far, I'm having a really rough time warming up to this character. I would have no problem with the writers wanting to have McLoughlin's McGarrett be more aggressive than Jack Lord's. But to have the head of 5-0 being the kind of hothead who would hang a suspect over the side of the building is so over-the-top. If the underlings of 5-0 are shown having to keep the boss in-line as much as vice-versa, then I have serious concerns about the direction this re-imagined Hawaii 5-0 is taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanalane View Post
I'm not sure about the other two. It's not them as actors (Kim and Park). It's just I'm not really buying into the characters of Chin-Ho and Kono.
Not surprising to me at all. As I said in an earlier thread, unlike the original actors who played Chin Ho (Kam Fong) and Kono (Zulu), Daniel and Grace aren't local. To some people, this was irrelevant and I got ridiculed for simply expressing my sentiments on this board. But your reactions after seeing the onscreen product,..... well, nothing more needs be said.
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Kia`aina

Red face Re: New Hawaii Five-0: Episode & Storyline Discussion

Quote:
I like this reinterpretation of Danny Williams. The new McGarrett? So far, I'm having a really rough time warming up to this character. I would have no problem with the writers wanting to have McLoughlin's McGarrett be more aggressive than Jack Lord's. But to have the head of 5-0 being the kind of hothead who would hang a suspect over the side of the building is so over-the-top. If the underlings of 5-0 are shown having to keep the boss in-line as much as vice-versa, then I have serious concerns about the direction this re-imagined Hawaii 5-0 is taking.

I agree with you on the new Steve M vs the original.

The original Steve M was always the cool headed one, the one in control, the one with the final word on everything-- including the classic, signature line.
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Re: Steve vs Danno...It seems to me that the writers went for similar personality types as the original show. I'm wondering, however, if anyone expected how great Caan would be; a big personality difference from the original Danno. I kinda feel that hampers O'Laughlin's character. There's time to make adjustments but I feel those adjustments will fall on O'Laughlin because Caan has really established his character, one that's very appealing to the viewers, in only 2 episodes. Come to think of it, he established it in the first episode.
I would have thought the people responsible for casting the lead roles would have chosen two people with better chemistry.

They should be able to play off each other, draw energy and humor from each other and of course, intensity when the scene demands it.

With Caan, I feel he just doesn't give a rip and that helps his character. He can laugh at himself and not take himself or his character too seriously. I am sure he is a true professional though, and takes his job very seriously. He is just able to relax a bit more than most actors and it shows.

For O'Laughlin, he has the whole show riding on his shoulders. It shows in his eyes, in my noob opinion.

He needs to relax, and just go along for the ride....win, lose or draw.

Last edited by foolish heart; September 29th, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
A curiosity question for my challenged memory...Did the original series introduce all the supporting characters during the first 2 episodes?
The 1968 pilot featured the characters of the governor, the attorney general, the doc, and the 5-0 secretary. Che Fong was introduced early on in the first season. However, as even casual 5-0 fans are aware, all of the original actors in these roles were eventually replaced.