Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
cabanalane's Avatar
cabanalane cabanalane is offline
Kia`aina
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: I stay on the Mainland
Posts: 314
Default Kona wind and questions?

I never looked into it before. Kona wind does not mean it's from Kona side of the Big Island. It just means "Western" wind. Tradewinds normally blows from the East. Vog is bad when winds blow from the south.

1. In general, your guess, what percentage does wind blow from East, West, South, and North?

2. I never heard of winds blowing from the North. Are there any characteristics of Northern winds?

3. What about other characteristics? East tradewinds = nice. Kona = storm. South = Vog? I know there are so many factors, and this is just a general statement.

Last edited by cabanalane; June 29th, 2010 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM
helen's Avatar
helen helen is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 9,817
Default Re: Kona wind and questions?

Tradewinds in Hawaii come from the North East.

If I had to guess maybe 90% of the time is the tradewinds, the other 10% is not.

Last edited by helen; June 29th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Honoruru Honoruru is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 901
Default Re: Kona wind and questions?

I would say the trade winds blow about 70% of the time, but like Helen says, they come in from the northeast, not the west. When itís kona weather, the winds come from the opposite direction, from the southwest, drawing in humidity from the equator.

Then thereís a variety of other conditions, when winds come from other directions, including the north, which I love. It doesnít happen too often, but when it does (usually in January or February) it comes straight and short from the arctic north, bringing in dry and cool air. Thatís when we say ďitís freezing!Ē (i.e. low 60s or even down into the 50s). Brrrrr!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Ron Whitfield Ron Whitfield is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,700
Default Re: Kona wind and questions?

When I first landed on Oahu, I immediately envisioned the winds to blow onshore towards the Pali from the airport side... wrong. The trades then and always have felt odd and only years later did I learn that they actually did blow Easterly, on Kona day's. Kona's even felt 'correct'.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
natural forces, weather

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

  Partner Sites: Hawaii Blog Hawaii News Hawaii Grinds Hawaii Social Media  
    Blogging the Aloha State. The Hawaii Star. Hawaii Food Blog. The story of Aloha 2.0.