Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is the balloon boy story fake or real?
Fake! The parents planned all this. 19 73.08%
Real! Everything the parents said is true. 1 3.85%
I don't know. 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Balloon Boy: Was it all a hoax?

First off change your password!

Then if you think it may have been you, yet you don't remember, get to the docs and get a check up. Stress might be getting to you for some reason or other or if you take any kind of medications you may be due for a new work-up.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
Depends on how far the abused wife theory is taken:
Normally, I'm very sympathetic to the plight of battered spouses. But the ones most deserving of concern and consideration are the children. They are the ones who have been victimized the most from this hoax. They are more vulnerable than their mother are to abuse and exploitation.

Mayumi can throw herself at the mercy of the court and paint herself as a sympathetic figure. And there are indications that she has been the target of abuse at the hands of Richard Heene in the past. But if you have the opportunity to see her in action on either of the Heene family appearances on Wife Swap, it's not hard to see how she is every bit as calculating when it comes to seeking fame and attention as her husband is. And until Falcon let slip the true reason for hiding in the attic, it has to be said that Mayumi was every bit as guilty as Richard was in using the kids as pawns in this elaborate scheme of deception to the public.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Ali`i

That's why I called it a theory.

I'm just waiting and watching to see the rest of the box cars pile up in this train wreck.
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Oooooh, scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
The beauty of HT and the like? You don't have to read or participate in any thread that's of no interest to you.
Speaking for myself..... I haven't contributed as much as a single post on the GPS forum. The topic doesn't hold much interest for me. But that's no reason to disrespect the GPS enthusiasts with "Ainokea! Waste time!" posts.
Old October 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Ali`i

Unless the courts take the kids away, I'm thinking they will allow her to remain free to care for them should the father do time, and his trials should be first.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Unless the courts take the kids away, I'm thinking they will allow her to remain free to care for them should the father do time, and his trials should be first.
If that's the case then it'll be a plea bargain. Otherwise both have shown disregard for the raising of their children and neither should be given the nod to raise them.
Old October 26th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Ali`i

Not neccessarily. Prosecutors may decide to drop it before it goes to trial.
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
If that's the case then it'll be a plea bargain. Otherwise both have shown disregard for the raising of their children and neither should be given the nod to raise them.
Someone with legal expertise can correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the criminal prosecution charges and child custody rights be handled seperately? IOW, even if one or both of the parents avoid prison sentences, that doesn't mean that CPS won't get involved in their case.

No matter what happens to the parents, one would hope that at the very least, a social worker is assigned to monitor that family and the well-being of the children.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Ali`i

The parents were very stupid, have had their spats, and it's not the perfect home for the kids, but compared to many other true horror story other kids are living thru, this is Dineyland. The kids are seemingly OK enuf and with proper court ordered counseling things should be allowed to work themselves out without so much huhu. The dad will probably do some time and this story will soon fade into history.
If it wasn't for the balloon end of it, we'd probably never heard any of this. It's a typical today's kind of family, not that it's good, just sayin'.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
If it wasn't for the balloon end of it, we'd probably never heard any of this. It's a typical today's kind of family, not that it's good, just sayin'.
Oh yeah, shurrre Ron. Transporting your children smack dab into the eye of Hurricane Gustav is sooooo typical. And soooo safe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwiwskcunKU

If this is your idea of Disneyland, I would hate to ask what your idea of Disney World for the Heenes would be. A hike up Mount Everest?
Old October 27th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Ali`i

Like I said, there are way worse family situations to focus on.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Like I said, there are way worse family situations to focus on.
Like what? A parent that murders his/her kids in cold blood?

That's about what it takes to be "way worse" than a parent who deliberately places their children in a life-threatening situation, just for the sake of thrill-seeking.
Old October 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ali`i

Well the kid was never in the balloon in the first place. However one has to wonder how come no one did a check inside the balloon before it lifted off?
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Well the kid was never in the balloon in the first place. However one has to wonder how come no one did a check inside the balloon before it lifted off?
Helen, if you're responding to my last post, then just to let you know....I wasn't talking about the balloon hoax. I was talking about Richard and Mayumi driving their children into the eye of Hurricane Gustav. And as their iReport video shows, they were in a disaster area where trucks and other vehicles were blown around.

It's bad enough when people won't heed evacuation warnings. But to be actively storm chasing with your kids in tow...... if anyone here doesn't see any problem with that picture, then do the social work field a favor and find yourself another career. Please!
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Ali`i

Default Oh mellow out...

Nobody died, or even got hurt.
You're flapping your wings over relatively little.
If it was SO bad there would be professionals on it.
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Oh mellow out...

Quote:
Nobody died, or even got hurt.
So in your "infinite wisdom," the time for family court judges and social workers to intervene is after a child dies or gets hurt.

Bravo, Ron. You have proven yourself a most vigilant advocate for child welfare.

Quote:
You're flapping your wings over relatively little..
Now that I know your complacent viewpoint on the matter, I'll take your mockery as a compliment.
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Oh mellow out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
1) So in your "infinite wisdom," the time for family court judges and social workers to intervene is after a child dies or gets hurt.
2) Now that I know your complacent viewpoint on the matter, I'll take your mockery as a compliment.
1) That's how it's done. Right or wrong, good or bad, you can't have immaculate perception on for every possible problem to intervene. We don't have the recources to do it even if it were humany possible, and it would mirror a police state anyway.
Our history is full of the examples you've recently put up where it takes a tragedy to get people to do what should have been done ages ago.
2) So now your feathers are back in proper place?
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Ali`i

So, while Ron & Frankie pi$$ at each other, I draw back to excerpt this days-old post, in what will undoubtedly be a vain attempt to get closer to the thread's topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
Where can one find an unbiased jury with all this publicity and assumption?
This question always intrigues me, in cases that receive so much media attention. However, I suspect that there are many who, for whatever reason, did not follow the original day-of-floating particularly closely. (I, for one, did not - but probably began learning more about it by following this thread - damn your topicality, HT!) But with each passing day of ongoing discussion, that circle diminishes.

But also, with the march of time, many people move their attention span to other "news' stories - how 'bout those pilots losing their licenses not long after losing their way? (Oop - thread resumes drifting ... just like a boy-less bubble ...)
Old October 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Ali`i

I had my TV off the day of the incident and some how my view of events of that day seems that the balloon was unattended and was accidently let loose which then was reported to the authories about a kid being in the balloon.

In the days that followed, there was a video that was shown on TV of an adult male and at least two other people launching the balloon which would seem that launch was not an accident.
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
So, while Ron & Frankie pi$$ at each other, I draw back to excerpt this days-old post, in what will undoubtedly be a vain attempt to get closer to the thread's topic:
LOL! This, from the person who initially pronounced "Ainokea" on the topic. In the meantime, on his fifth posting on this thread, presumes to act like an arbitrator on a white horse and directing folks back towards what he thinks is closer to the topic.

Thanks for your efforts in this regard, Leo. But the points that Ron and I were debating about (Richard and Mayumi's individual culpability in the hoax, the worthiness or lack thereof of their parenting skills) is very much in tune with why the nation was so fascinated with the balloon boy story...... and why the initial feelings of sympathy that the parents generated when the first story broke out then turned into curiousity and skepticism when little inconsistencies in the story were reported. And then, the disbelief and anger when the media and public found out that the whole thing was a hoax. And through it all, the 3 boys were used by their parents to generate publicity for themselves.

I openly acknowledge getting into many long debates with Ron. But in every case, it's because we both have very strong and impassioned views and opinions on the topic. Are we "pi$$ing" at each other? I wouldn't characterize our debate as such. I don't 'bout you, Leo, but I've seen far, FAR more inflammatory exchanges on HT.

Quote:
But also, with the march of time, many people move their attention span to other "news' stories - how 'bout those pilots losing their licenses not long after losing their way?
Indeed. That's an important story. But why wait for others to press that that "New Thread" button? By all means, go ahead and stimulate this forum by creating outlets for discussion on news stories that you think are worthy of discussion. As my high school principal used to say, "Don't sit back. Go act!"
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
But also, with the march of time, many people move their attention span to other "news' stories - how 'bout those pilots losing their licenses not long after losing their way? (Oop - thread resumes drifting ... just like a boy-less bubble ...)
I think this thread was done before under Go Airlines.
Old October 28th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I think this thread was done before under Go Airlines.
That's what I was thinking! And, one of the earliest news reports about the latest incident mentioned something about this situation being the first time it ever happened. Hellooooo...what about Go Airlines!!! Methinks all the pilots involved wish they'd fallen asleep in an attic like balloon boy!
Old October 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Methinks all the pilots involved wish they'd fallen asleep in an attic like balloon boy!
Is this scarier than hearing, "My name is Richard Heene, and I'll be your captain on this flight?"
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
That's what I was thinking! And, one of the earliest news reports about the latest incident mentioned something about this situation being the first time it ever happened. Hellooooo...what about Go Airlines!!! Methinks all the pilots involved wish they'd fallen asleep in an attic like balloon boy!
The go! pilots fell asleep, which is alarmingly common when pilots are forced to fly more and sleep less.

The recent incident involves the pilots fully awake using their own personal laptops and therefore lost track of time. This behavior is common on the ground.

Trust me, Facebook is evil.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Trust me, Facebook is evil.
They probably got accepted into the Civilization Beta!