Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 1st, 2009, 09:19 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

I wasn't at all comfortable with news article's stating that abusing/killing of a non-pet/wild animal was somehow not worthy of a higher penalty or equal to that of harming a pet.
Hawaii has long been remiss in getting it's animal abuse laws fully into the modern era.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Having any annoying 'wild' life in a residential area is asking for conflict, and these peacocks have been in the neighborhood for over a decade. Most people just put up with the bad and enjoy the good, but with around 11 other birds recently killed by poison or pellet, shows there are more than one 'disturbed' resident taking it out on the pea fowl.

Positive spin; 1) This one woman's spectacle helps bust the other killers.
2) The birds get a new home to spare their well being and the sanity of those who've tolerated them for so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
Ron - I like your statement.

The peacocks have been in the valley over 100 years. and that's long before condos were built there. Why should they be removed to a cage someplace when they were there first? It's their home.

As someone said earlier, complaining about peacock noise in Makaha Valley is like moving next to a airport and then complaining about the airplane noise!
makes about as much sense to complain about pre-existing wild fowl as it is to gripe about pre-existing marathons. but i digress. additionally, i confess not to have any meaningful contribution to this subject so i shall go back to enjoying my oh-so-chic-if-i-were-in-waikiki-in-the-nineties cocktail: li hing maggie on the rocks, salt.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
So, random killing of "wild" (ie non-pet) animals is A-OK in any circumstance because they are "unclaimed"? Does that apply to .... say.... Nene and whales?
It's all part of Natural Selection. Who says we are immune to extinction?

Was this particular case a random killing or did she silenced the noisiest of the peacock?

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:47 AM
Ali`i

at this point does it really matter? the peacock's death was caused by a woman who, for whatever reasons she had, has now been charged with animal cruelty and will be prosecuted according to current law.

If someone is not satisified the way this law works, then they need to take responsibility for being dissatisfied and do something about getting the law changed.

I don't particularly care for peacocks but I also know that I would not have purchased a condo on a property where they run wild. This reminds me of the folks in California who keep building houses further & further into wildlife habitats and then run crying to the politicians when coyotes come into their yards and bears roam their streets. What has happened to simple common sense: if you live with peacocks, you will have noise and mess. You're in THEIR habitat!

Has no one ever considered sterilizing the peacocks so that they can't continue to procreate? that would eventually solve the problem, without any harm to the peacocks.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:51 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Has no one ever considered sterilizing the peacocks so that they can't continue to procreate?
Now that is a good question ..... or rather, that brings up a good question: can a bird be sterilized? I"ve heard of giving "birth control feed", but actual sterilization? Anyone know?
I won't even ask what a sterilized peacock would be called.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Has no one ever considered sterilizing the peacocks so that they can't continue to procreate? that would eventually solve the problem, without any harm to the peacocks.
Sterilizing peacocks would appear to be a humane way of controlling the peacock population. But it's gonna cost $$$$. At a time when state govt. employees are being furloughed and school budgets are getting cut, NO WAY should this be paid for with taxpayer money.

Perhaps interested Makaha Valley residents and any other concerned person could contribute to a private fundraising effort to build the Sandra Maloney Spay & Neutering Clinic.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Uhhhhh....a peanut?
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I dunno --- if someone did that to me, I'd consider it "harm"! (Chrai wait - awreddy did - nebba mind. )

You know some would consider this just another type of "animal cruelty."
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
You know some would consider this just another type of "animal cruelty."
Animal sterilization = animal cruelty?

To some folks, maybe. But it's not a view shared by the Humane Society. They view spaying/neutering to be highly preferable to euthanizing or indefinitely caging unwanted animals who cannot find a suitable home.

Forced sterilization on a human could be considered cruel, since there are other options that can achieve birth control. Animals are different.... unless Dr. Doolittle can find a way to teach them how to practice "safe sex."
Old June 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Who knows, but I'll bet it would have taken the bat from Sandra and sent her flying back into her apt.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

Does peacock taste like chickun? Chickun is what the two Japanese guys in the KFC commercial call it with an Asian accent. Did they also have a big macu attacku?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:53 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Okay, I'll say it: "pea-cockless?"
Old June 3rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Pea-oh'ed?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Pea-oh'ed?
I'm sure!
And probably "pea-ved" at all the comments from the "pea-neuter gallery!"
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
To some folks, maybe. But it's not a view shared by the Humane Society. They view spaying/neutering to be highly preferable to euthanizing or indefinitely caging unwanted animals who cannot find a suitable home.
I agree with them, F.M. I just meant that you know there are elements of society who consider almost anything humans do to "control" animals as "cruelty." I'm not amongst them, and my diet reflects that.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

I spot checked a few real estate listings in the complex, and they all mention the peacocks. They mention them as a plus, rather than a liability, but in any case, I sincerely doubt this woman was surprised to find these birds roaming the property.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Ali`i

That she didn't have the post decency to kill the mortally wounded bird, just leaving it with a bashed in head/eye, broken neck and leg, to struggle for life only to die in misery after she tossed it off the stairs is enuf to condem this woman to the severest penalties allowed. How her friends can rationalize these actions and support her is bizzare. Maybe they should be investigated for the previous deaths of at least 10 other birds.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
I spot checked a few real estate listings in the complex, and they all mention the peacocks. They mention them as a plus, rather than a liability, but in any case, I sincerely doubt this woman was surprised to find these birds roaming the property.
Her previous residence, I'm told, was also in Makaha, altho' not in the valley. The peacocks' presence is well known thruout the area and it appears there's disclosure to valley condo buyers.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Her previous residence, I'm told, was also in Makaha, altho' not in the valley. The peacocks' presence is well known thruout the area and it appears there's disclosure to valley condo buyers.
I don't buy the "ignorance" excuse for Mrs. Maloney, either.

Interestingly enough, she's a self-described bird lover, indicated by her many bird dolls and pictures. But what she (and many other bird lovers) probably have learned when co-existing with real live, "actual" wild birds for the first time: They can be noisy. They can be messy. But that is how they are. Absolutely no fault of their own.

Being that Maloney has no prior criminal record, she won't likely be sent to prison. But whatever punishment she receives (fine, probation, community service), the judge also needs to give her a stern warning about her uncivilized and unacceptable her behavior was.

If the peacock squawks, indeed, were responsible for driving her over the edge, then Mrs. Maloney (rather than the peacocks) should move out of Makaha Valley. IMNSHO!
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Perhaps interested Makaha Valley residents and any other concerned person could contribute to a private fundraising effort to build the Sandra Maloney Spay & Neutering Clinic.
If she just gets community service, maybe she should be in charge (carefully supervised, of course) of putting this all together, rounding up the peacocks, and bringing them in for their...um....fixing. Seriously- who does this? Earplugs. Earplugs, Sandra. And a bedside fan.

I saw a peacock once at the Dole Plantation. I was eating pineapple ice-cream, turned around, and there was a peacock, looking like she was about to take a nibble off my cone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peacock Ice-cream.jpg (53.6 KB, 10 views)

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old June 4th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Ali`i

I live in a forest, so I know a great deal about wild cats (catch em and take them to the humane society), dogs (same thing), boars (smoke the big ones, catch and give away the small ones) and rodents (kill them when we can).

When we stay at my inlaws' house in Papakolea, I almost go insane with the peacocks. It isn't their cries, but their dung that winds up everywhere and stinks to high heaven.

Catch them, pelt the feathers for the lei hulu crafters/vendors and follow a pheasant recipe, I say.

pax
Old November 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Ali`i

Sandra Maloney had her day in court and is asking Judge Mike Wilson for a dismissal of the animal cruelty charge.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ssal+of+charge

As I said previously, even if she is convicted, Maloney is likely to get a light sentence as she does not have a prior criminal record. But I can't imagine Judge Wilson going along with her attorney's argument that wild peacocks are "detrimental to human life."
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

Quote:
As I said previously, even if she is convicted, Maloney is likely to get a light sentence as she does not have a prior criminal record. But I can't imagine Judge Wilson going along with her attorney's argument that wild peacocks are "detrimental to human life."
I would guess than neither you nor hizzonner have had the experience of living in close proximity to a clade of peacocks and peahens.

Imagine living on a property with 10 roosters, and multiply that by 10!

There screeches sound like human babies being tortured, but at a level of 10x decibels more intense.

If you can sleep through that, you must be deaf.

She should plead temporary insanity due to PTSD.

But,my, aren't they beautiful??????

K
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM
Ali`i

Wink Green Amazon Parrots

Quote:
Animal sterilization = animal cruelty?

Forced sterilization on a human could be considered cruel, since there are other options that can achieve birth control. Animals are different.... unless Dr. Doolittle can find a way to teach them how to practice "safe sex."
Sorry, off topic, but related.

If you go up to the park/heiau before the Aiea loop trail,at the right time, you will confront the screeching of hundreds of feral Amazon Green Parrots.

They are breeding and spreading.... Had a few fly over to Kahalu`u a couple months ago! (Aiea is right over the Ko`olaus)

They were delicious!

Then I discovered they go for up to $400 each! Auwe!

K
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Green Amazon Parrots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
If you go up to the park/heiau before the Aiea loop trail,at the right time, you will confront the screeching of hundreds of feral Amazon Green Parrots.
Thanx for bring up the greenies, now I don't have to search for the thread where I mentioned seeing one at the main library/Palace areas earlier this year.
Yesterday I saw 5!
Alfred Hitchcock, where are you...?