Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Exclamation Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

So the wild peacocks stalking and calling out in Makaha pushed someone over the edge.

Makaha woman faces charges in beating death of peacock
Quote:
The prosecutor's office was flooded with phone calls and e-mails from people appalled at the attack, Honolulu Prosecutor Peter Carlisle said yesterday at a news conference. Prosecutors plan to vigorously pursue the case, he said. [...] "I grabbed him by the tail, and I whacked him on the head," said Maloney, claiming sleep deprivation caused by loud screeches from peacocks in the area drove her to kill the bird.
Woman charged in peacock killing
Quote:
Sandra Maloney was charged with second-degree animal cruelty, punishable by up to a year in jail and a $2,000 fine.Maloney said after the attack that she had asked unsuccessfully for authorities to reduce the population of peacocks in Makaha Valley.
The story is a week old, but I still stumble into debates now and then. Is it that the peacock is beautiful and regal that it is cherished above, say, rodents or wild boars that are also nuisances and also meet unpleasant ends? Is it the fairly barbaric, hands-on way the animal was killed that has everyone riled up (whereas poisonings generally go unnoticed)? Is it the perpetrator's attitude, versus that of the community where she lived?

Now, Howard Dicus publicly asked the question I'd been mulling when later coverage of the story included Maloney's frustration with the press: Is the peacock basher being bashed? I, for one, saw a lot of Maloney on TV, and read a lot of quotes in the papers, and didn't get the sense she was being misrepresented. I think she was being perfectly and accurately represented... and the public, as a whole, didn't like her.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

Just in case someone doesn't know what a peacock sounds like:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461538253/peacock.html
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Ali`i

Even rat killings have entered the public limelight, and fines and jail time were on the table. http://www.nytimes.com/1994/08/16/ny...-a-rodent.html .

If this person lived 20 feet from a bus stop, with buses blaring a loud verbal announcement 24 hours a day, would she have attacked The Bus with a baseball bat? I once saw a man in Brooklyn attack an ice cream truck with a baseball bat, so I know it's not inconceivable for a person to act that way!

There are relatively few permitted outlets for raw rage to be expressed; it's taboo whether the target is an innocent living thing or private property (but the former is more heinous). I believe the public has a right to be upset.

Last edited by Vanguard; May 30th, 2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ali`i

I've had a thread going on Facebook about this subject asking my Makaha Valley friends to share their thoughts...those in favor of the peacocks-4, in favor of Maloney-0. Evidently there's more than meets the eye when it comes to the perpetrator.

Yesterday I had breakfast with 2 friends who own and manage units in Makaha Valley. They brought up something I hadn't thought of. If Maloney is let off with only a wrist slap that could easily act as a license for others to commit the same crime.

I believe in Buyer (or Renter) Beware. Condo complexes should disclose the presence of the birds in the valley as they tend to congregate around the grounds of the Towers and the Plantation. A friend of mine who owns 2 Towers units said this fact was disclosed when she purchased. To me, disclosure is legally prudent altho' probably not legally mandatory.

In addition, Auntie D., from usenet days, shared this link to Princess Ka`iulani, aka the Peacock Princess.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
Now, Howard Dicus publicly asked the question I'd been mulling when later coverage of the story included Maloney's frustration with the press: Is the peacock basher being bashed? I, for one, saw a lot of Maloney on TV, and read a lot of quotes in the papers, and didn't get the sense she was being misrepresented. I think she was being perfectly and accurately represented... and the public, as a whole, didn't like her.
Of course, with the bare facts presented, Maloney comes off looking not much better than Michael Vick!

Maloney needed to learn the art of media spin, if she wanted to generate a sympathetic sounding story. That's what people like Karl Rove get paid big $$$$ to do.

The armchair spinmeister in me would tell Maloney to not just "talk" about the peacock attack, but to simulate it again for the news cameras. Oh, if the lady offered to do that, the local news stations would just eat it up, I know.

But WITH the following condition! She gets to pick the music that will be used in the background.

1) A wild, "evil" peacock is shown encroaching on the complex property.

http://www.thepocket.com/wavs/4psycho4.wav

2) The lady re-enacts her "courageous" beating on an artificial peacock in slo-motion, to the heroic strains of Vangelis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdmSdMnP-to

By the time the spin mission concludes, the mayor will be ready to pin her with a medal of citation.
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshkwe View Post
Just in case someone doesn't know what a peacock sounds like:

http://encarta.msn.com/media_461538253/peacock.html
They are loud and annoying. Up the road on the other side of the area we live in you can hear them yowling loud and proud from far away. People say "oh you're so lucky to have peacocks in the area" and I always tell them yeah
but I'd rather have them where they are in the valley than in my backyard.
Those suckers can wail! I have enough problems with several roosters and hens that the IDIOT next door feeds
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
They are loud and annoying. Up the road on the other side of the area we live in you can hear them yowling loud and proud from far away. People say "oh you're so lucky to have peacocks in the area" and I always tell them yeah
but I'd rather have them where they are in the valley than in my backyard.
Those suckers can wail! I have enough problems with several roosters and hens that the IDIOT next door feeds
When I lived in Virginia we used to go to a friend's property and camp on it for the weekend. There were some guinea fowl that had gone feral...those sound like amplified nails going across a chalkboard. And they NEVER shut up!
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Ali`i

It might have cop an attitude when the lady called him a peacock?
Old May 31st, 2009, 03:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
It might have cop an attitude when the lady called him a peacock?
huh?

Anyway, my sister rented at the towers the the 70's. The peacocks lived on the grounds way back then, as well as in the valley. It cannot come as a suprise to someone who buys in the 2000's that the birds are there. If the woman was soooooo upset, she could have worked towards a humane resolution withing taking a baseball bat to the bird. I have a neighbor dog that bothers the heck out of me. Should I be allowed to take a baseball bat to the dog? Not. She just took the lazy way out by killing the bird, and then was dumb enough to get caught doing it.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:05 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
If the woman was soooooo upset, she could have worked towards a humane resolution withing taking a baseball bat to the bird. I have a neighbor dog that bothers the heck out of me. Should I be allowed to take a baseball bat to the dog? Not. She just took the lazy way out by killing the bird, and then was dumb enough to get caught doing it.
You're absolutely right. There's so many solutions that lady could have explored first before resorting to the baseball bat.

Boy, I hope her husband doesn't start snoring. Other spouses would try nasal strips or earplugs. Mrs. Maloney might go straight to you-know-what!
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:07 AM
Ali`i

We got chickens, feral pigs, roosters, rats and feral cats and feral people.

We don't kill. (Though it has crossed our minds....)

We practice "catch and release." Yeah, even with the rats. I've had enough of killing, TYVM.

There are rural areas (the H-3 corridor, for instance), where the impact on humans is greatly reduced. It's not always easy to do the "catch." Roosters - no sweat, rats, a little sweat. Pigs - hardly possible. Peacocks... well just figure out what they want.... Get a hogwire cage-trap, and... ZOOM! One less cock.

I don't know if 'humane' defeathering would cover costs, but one never knows....

We keep the cats, cause they kill the rats (one less catch & release).

Just installed a proximity alarm to scare the pigs - it's gone off 5 times already tonight....

There ARE humane ways to deal with pests. If she clubbed it and cooked it, it may have been less of a violation (hunting w/o a license?)? I hear peafowl are delectable!
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
huh?

Anyway, my sister rented at the towers the the 70's. The peacocks lived on the grounds way back then, as well as in the valley. It cannot come as a suprise to someone who buys in the 2000's that the birds are there. If the woman was soooooo upset, she could have worked towards a humane resolution withing taking a baseball bat to the bird. I have a neighbor dog that bothers the heck out of me. Should I be allowed to take a baseball bat to the dog? Not. She just took the lazy way out by killing the bird, and then was dumb enough to get caught doing it.
I thought she have gone through normal channels but went unheeded.

I'm wondering if the Humane Society is spinning to look like the good guys and make her the bad guy. It's possible.

And yeah, peacocks ain't that great, for an animal. I find ugly babies more acceptable than peacocks (trust me, there are ugly human(?) babies, some of which I have vocally informed their parents).

If a wild pig wanders into my backyard without a licensed tag on it, then yeah, I'm gonna kill it. If a wild pig wanders into my neighbor's yard eyeing their ugly baby ... there'll be one less ugly baby (and no need to wash down my baseball bat).

*missing smiley: sinister devil*

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
There ARE humane ways to deal with pests.
I dunno. Does Costco sell peacock-version of a mousetrap? (Da old-fashioned kine, that snap the buggah's neck.)

*missing smiley: devil*

Old May 31st, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ali`i

Sadly, I bet the bird she attacked wasn't even the one that was persecuting her. I bet she grabbed the first one she could catch.

She must be real good with that bat; the peacocks at Waimea Valley have tiny heads and get out of the way pretty quickly.
Old May 31st, 2009, 04:54 AM
Kumu

Back in the day, being cruel to animals was one of three items, that if identified together, was considered diagnostic of sociophathy.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:03 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I thought she have gone through normal channels but went unheeded.
Yes, but sometimes you have go do more than just "complain" to someone else about a problem, and actually look into solutions for yourself. It can take a lot of effort .... a lot more than ragging on others to do something. But using the animal for batting practice isn't a humane or legal solution.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:17 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
It can take a lot of effort .... a lot more than ragging on others to do something. But using the animal for batting practice isn't a humane or legal solution.
She did make an effort. Do you know how hard it is to swing a baseball bat on a moving target, especially when you're on your last nerve and so unfocused due to rage?

Sorry, you won't find my sympathy for the unclaimed animal. We're all animals, who just happened to be on the top of the food chain, and capable of killing members of our own species. Accept that humanity, don't evolve it. We're at our own end of the evolutionary step (like our cousin the ape). Something better than humanity will come along, a la natural selection.

Old May 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Sorry, you won't find my sympathy for the unclaimed animal. We're all animals, who just happened to be on the top of the food chain, and capable of killing members of our own species. Accept that humanity, don't evolve it. We're at our own end of the evolutionary step (like our cousin the ape). Something better than humanity will come along, a la natural selection.
So if I am reading your post correctly, there no need to worry about animal abuse or cruelty? Please ... tell me I am wrong in my interpertation of your post.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
huh?.
Pea-cock.
Peacock.
I don't think that word was used for a syllable soundoff on The Electric Company.
Old May 31st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
So if I am reading your post correctly, there no need to worry about animal abuse or cruelty? Please ... tell me I am wrong in my interpertation of your post.
Interpret any way you want it. AFAIC, the peacock in question is an unclaimed animal.

Old May 31st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Ali`i

Having any annoying 'wild' life in a residential area is asking for conflict, and these peacocks have been in the neighborhood for over a decade. Most people just put up with the bad and enjoy the good, but with around 11 other birds recently killed by poison or pellet, shows there are more than one 'disturbed' resident taking it out on the pea fowl.

Positive spin; 1) This one woman's spectacle helps bust the other killers.
2) The birds get a new home to spare their well being and the sanity of those who've tolerated them for so long.
Old May 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
Ali`i

Ron - I like your statement.

The peacocks have been in the valley over 100 years. and that's long before condos were built there. Why should they be removed to a cage someplace when they were there first? It's their home.

As someone said earlier, complaining about peacock noise in Makaha Valley is like moving next to a airport and then complaining about the airplane noise!
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Sandra Maloney v. The Peacock

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
Ron - I like your statement.

The peacocks have been in the valley over 100 years. and that's long before condos were built there. Why should they be removed to a cage someplace when they were there first? It's their home.
One could make the same arguments for rats.

Old June 1st, 2009, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

A few years ago, iirc, a request was made to thin the population of peacocks in Makaha Valley by relocating many of them to Waimea Falls Park. I don't know whether or not that happened but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Wish I had time to research but I don't today.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Interpret any way you want it. AFAIC, the peacock in question is an unclaimed animal.
So, random killing of "wild" (ie non-pet) animals is A-OK in any circumstance because they are "unclaimed"? Does that apply to .... say.... Nene and whales?