Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 30th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Swine Flu

There is also a report of the first case of drug resistant swine flu in Denmark. I guess it's not surprising that the flu would eventually become resistant to the most popular drug(s) used to treat it.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...jbbTQD994HT3O0

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090629/...flu_resistance
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Ali`i

I listened to a speech at UH given by an outbreak expert. He's not terribly concerned about the Swine Flu. He says most of the deaths occured in people who had other serious complications.

There are roughly two kinds of flu. The common one which tends to kill kids, elderly, and those with weakened immune systems. The other kind (like the Spanish Flu) leaves those people alone and kills healthy adults, because it causes their working immune systems to over react.

So he's not concerned by Swine Flu, but there is always the danger of a mutation which combines the worst of both worlds. He says if something like that happens, what the government will do is force everyone to stay home. This means is you need enough supplies to live off of for a few weeks, because you won't be allowed to go shopping.

Currently he's more worried about MRSA than Swine Flu. Even the plague ranks higher on his worry list, though luckily it's not an issue in Hawaii.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Last edited by MyopicJoe; June 30th, 2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
...but there is always the danger of a mutation which combines the worst of both worlds. He says if something like that happens, what the government will do is force everyone to stay home. This means is you need enough supplies to live off of for a few weeks, because you won't be allowed to go shopping.
exactly...
http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...ighlight=preps
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Ali`i

Per a family member in the world of academia:

Do you know the difference between bird flu and swine flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment.

For swine flu you need oinkment.

BBFN!
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
Per a family member in the world of academia:

Do you know the difference between bird flu and swine flu?

For bird flu you need tweetment.

For swine flu you need oinkment.

BBFN!
LOL! Haha, good one!
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Kumu

Default Re: Swine flu death in Hawaii

Don't be fooled by this government orchestrated sham. Swine flu is no more dangerous than the common flu. Though, I would be a little bit more concerned if I were Mexican. Check the stats. 10x more people died in Mexico than other countries around the world. Funny, they started playing the movie "Outbreak" on tv. Biological weapon? No doubt in my mind. I've read news articles where a number of scientists are 100% certain. I would be more concerned about the government trying to enforce vaccinations on us. Who do they think they're foolin!?
Old June 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Ali`i

Where's my popcorn? This could be fun...
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
Don't be fooled by this government orchestrated sham.
Do you have enough confidence in the government to orchestrate this.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
Ali`i

I got the flu, and whether it's swine or not, man I sometimes have been wishing I'd just join the dead. Light symptoms and it'll probably pass quickly, but the body ache is terrible.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
Though, I would be a little bit more concerned if I were Mexican.
Economic differences, I assume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Excellent point. The problem with most conspiracy theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
the body ache is terrible.
Yeah, that's the worse. G'luck with that.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Ali`i

As one who deals with the H1N1 virus and all that it implies on a daily basis (yes---really) I can tell you that it is not a source of humor.
You all know where I work. Due to privacy issues I can''t share with you all that I would share if there were no constraints but suffice it to say that this is a very serious issue. It's a nasty flu, plain and simple, and IME it's hitting hard.
The scary part is that it is hitting the young hardest--just like the Spanish Flu of 1918. Very ugly.
So be careful out there and head to a good ER (read QUEENS) if you think you have the H1N1 virus.
The overriding flu factor is fever, BTW. And...generally feeling REALLY bad. Let the ER crew decide whether you have to be hospitalized. No shame...
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Ali`i

We're being hit with piles of the flu, too. It's strange to get so many flu cases (swine or not) in the summer months. I worked a bunch the last couple of weeks, and we have only admitted a few, mostly when the flu is complicating chronic conditions. Most folks are given instruction for home care and isolation, and some, but not all, get antiviral meds.

There's nothing quite like spending a day collecting boogers, and I don't think there is an end in sight. At least now we are not testing EVERYONE, just the ones recommended by the DOH (infants, elderly, pregnant women, healthcare workers, etc.) Lately my toughest job has been reminding them to keep their mask on in the ED.

Check out the CDC website and the Hawaii DOH sites for good information. (I know this has probably been posted before, but now you don't have to go find it!)
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
What's so hard about planting it on door knobs? If we can orchestrate a war in the Iraq, swine flu is nothin!

Our DOH has still been unable to explain how various schools on this island had just a few students with the bug without apparent exposure to other infected people or traveling out of town.

Chew on these- Bwhaa ha haaaaaaa!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNS0Q-uxycA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qJQCJp4ehc
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Kumu

Here: Double your pleasure, double your fun.

Make sure to watch the 1979 T.V. documentary by 60 minutes on the swine flu and tell me if you trust our government. Yes, the swine flu existed back then too.

http://www.infowars.com/canadian-doc...extermination/
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Ali`i

(H1N1) Viruses resistant to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) identified

Time to move to the middle of nowhere?
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Swine Flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
No...but I think you just bolstered Bobinator’s theory.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Kumu

Well, consider the Gulf War Syndrome. That came from vaccinations too.
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
The scary part is that it is hitting the young hardest--just like the Spanish Flu of 1918. Very ugly.
So be careful out there and head to a good ER (read QUEENS) if you think you have the H1N1 virus.
The overriding flu factor is fever, BTW. And...generally feeling REALLY bad. Let the ER crew decide whether you have to be hospitalized. No shame...
Exactly how is the 2009 Swine Flu like the Spanish Flu of 1918, other than being of the same "H1N1" subtype? As MyopicJoe correctly stated, the Spanish Flu primarily killed off young adults while our current pandemic prefers children and the immunocompromised. The Spanish Flu also killed an estimated 20-100 million people in one year. Seasonal influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in the US alone. By comparison, the Swine Flu has killed less than 500 people worldwide so far this year. The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was conservatively estimated at 2.5%. Compare that with less than 0.2% for the Swine Flu. (Stats obtained from the CDC & WHO)

But enough of the statistical diarrhea. What does it all mean? The flu in any shape or form is not to be trifled with. Definitely take all reasonable and proper precautions.

On the other hand, infecting people's minds with alarmist hyperbole is never helpful. I don't doubt your bedside experience. I'm sure you're a great nurse and wonderful at handling individual patients. When it comes to the exponentially larger scale of public health I think it's wise to defer to the experts of that domain, i.e. DoH, CDC, WHO, etc.

Swine Flu tracker powered by Google Maps.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Ali`i

Well this one hit home, landed on my doorstep. Not me, but a younger family member (ain't they all?). Luckily we caught it quick. The medicos said H1N1 is a variant of Influenza A, and the treatment is the same. Tamiflu has been effective and he's no longer shedding cells (i.e., non-contagious) and other than a uncomfortable week and precautions, we're OK.

I recommend calling a doctor at the FIRST SIGNS, which in this case was fever.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
I listened to a speech at UH given by an outbreak expert.
Currently he's more worried about MRSA than Swine Flu. Even the plague ranks higher on his worry list, though luckily it's not an issue in Hawaii.
I haven't seen a single case of the plague so right now I'm a little more concerned about MRSA and H1N1,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
I got the flu, and whether it's swine or not, man I sometimes have been wishing I'd just join the dead. Light symptoms and it'll probably pass quickly, but the body ache is terrible.
The last time I got the flu was back in the '70's but I do remember how hard it hit me. Most people don't go to the doctor when they have "light symptoms" (not sure from your post whether or not you did) and this is why estimates of the actual numbers of flu cases far surpass the stats for cases that have been confirmed by lab testing. Based on mathematical modeling the CDC estimates that the number of actual cases of H1N1 is now past one million in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
We're being hit with piles of the flu, too. It's strange to get so many flu cases (swine or not) in the summer months. I worked a bunch the last couple of weeks, and we have only admitted a few, mostly when the flu is complicating chronic conditions. Most folks are given instruction for home care and isolation, and some, but not all, get antiviral meds.

There's nothing quite like spending a day collecting boogers, and I don't think there is an end in sight. At least now we are not testing EVERYONE, just the ones recommended by the DOH (infants, elderly, pregnant women, healthcare workers, etc.) Lately my toughest job has been reminding them to keep their mask on in the ED.

Check out the CDC website and the Hawaii DOH sites for good information. (I know this has probably been posted before, but now you don't have to go find it!)
Thanks for posting the links again. Great info, especially on the CDC site.
I can't tell you who or what we've been admitting, of course, but suffice it to say we are taking massive isolation precautions here. Complete droplet isolation regalia including shoe covers, gloves, the immensely uncomfortable N95 masks (necessary because of possible aerolization of secretions when ventilator circuits are disconnected), and gowns. Basically your full body condom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
Exactly how is the 2009 Swine Flu like the Spanish Flu of 1918, other than being of the same "H1N1" subtype? As MyopicJoe correctly stated, the Spanish Flu primarily killed off young adults while our current pandemic prefers children and the immunocompromised. The Spanish Flu also killed an estimated 20-100 million people in one year. Seasonal influenza is responsible for 36,000 deaths annually in the US alone. By comparison, the Swine Flu has killed less than 500 people worldwide so far this year. The mortality rate of the Spanish Flu was conservatively estimated at 2.5%. Compare that with less than 0.2% for the Swine Flu. (Stats obtained from the CDC & WHO)

But enough of the statistical diarrhea. What does it all mean? The flu in any shape or form is not to be trifled with. Definitely take all reasonable and proper precautions.

On the other hand, infecting people's minds with alarmist hyperbole is never helpful. I don't doubt your bedside experience. I'm sure you're a great nurse and wonderful at handling individual patients. When it comes to the exponentially larger scale of public health I think it's wise to defer to the experts of that domain, i.e. DoH, CDC, WHO, etc.

Swine Flu tracker powered by Google Maps.
Scientifically speaking it is useless to compare morbidity and mortality numbers pertaining to the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 with the present statistics generated by the novel H1N1 virus. The 1918 pandemic began in March of that year and for the first six months, although infection rates were high, death rates were not. It was the second wave of infection, occuring in the fall of 1918, that resulted in the tremendous death rates.
Bear in mind, too, that no anti-virals existed in 1918. There was little one could do except wait out the course of the disease and pray. Deaths from a pandemic were destined to be catastrophic.
The first US case of human infection by the present novel H1N1 virus was recorded as occuring in April 2009. We have a long way to go to be able to compare the two events with any scientific reliability. It's best to hold off on the numbers game for now.
But there is one glaring similarity that we are seeing now (and which is clearly evidenced by the stats pertaining to ages of H1N1 victims published by the CDC) and that is the propensity of the virus to affect the young. This is what I very briefly referenced in my previous post. This trend has been noted not only by our own public health organizations but by those in Canada and Mexico. The evidence is not just anecdotal in nature. The statistics clearly show it.
MPB, since you have an aversion to "statistical diarrhea" I'll refrain from posting the stats here. I suggest you google to your heart's content. The information is out there.
And I'd like to take a moment here, MPB, to thank you for that sweet pat pat pat on my little nursey head. I can assure you that my knowledge and skill sets go a bit beyond "bedside nursing of the individual patient."
Nurses today, especially in the critical care setting, are expected to not only be amazingly proficient in the technical and practical demands of the profession but also to keep abreast of the latest developments in public health. This is our livelihood, our profession, and we take it very seriously. Condescension in any form is not appreciated and not to be ignored. Some of us not only do google searches for information from the CDC and WHO, we actually get updates from them on a regular basis, along with bulletins from NEJM and JAMA and we also have subscriptions to numerous professional journals. We read them in between passing out bedpans and trying to live up to the images portrayed of us in the Johnson and Johnson commercials.
Add to that our real-life experiences in the medical world and years of practice and gee whiz we just might have something to bring to the table in this discussion and perhaps should not be so lightly dismissed with a pat on the head and a chastising suggestion to leave the actual thinking to the Big Boys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
Well this one hit home, landed on my doorstep. Not me, but a younger family member (ain't they all?). Luckily we caught it quick. The medicos said H1N1 is a variant of Influenza A, and the treatment is the same. Tamiflu has been effective and he's no longer shedding cells (i.e., non-contagious) and other than a uncomfortable week and precautions, we're OK.

I recommend calling a doctor at the FIRST SIGNS, which in this case was fever.
Kaonohi thanks for adding that last sentence. Fever is one of the signs that what one is coming down with may be more than a cold.
Glad all worked out for your family member. Be safe and be well!

Take care, everyone!

Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; July 11th, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Ali`i

WORN, eric isn't home at the moment to reply back, but i will.

you've heard this from your own risk management department. i will repeat it to you here: think before you speak. what you say comes with the heavy weight and responsibility of your being a healthcare professional. i'm sure you meant to chide previous posters on this thread for joking about a serious disease. what ended up happening was that you potentially inflamed the issue beyond where it needed to be.

far from eric having "patted your nursey head" he was asking you to be more clear. your initial, breathless post verged on the alarmist with its lack of detail (and you yourself described certain aspects of your post as "brief"). i'm not talking about your refusal to violate HIPAA. i'm talking about the absolute necessity for you to write responsibly on a public discussion board while holding up your RN as proof of expertise. this is why: when you reveal that you treat patients with a disease that many in the public are afraid of (i'm sure you noticed the absolutely inane posts about conspiracy on this thread) and then reinforce that fear by calling that disease "ugly" "serious" and "no joke" without pointing out that for most people, catching the disease can be easily mitigated by simple precautions, you're being an thoughtless health care provider making a display of your expertise that has more to do with your ego and need for show versus being actually helpful and informative to a readership looking to you for guidance.

i'll stand with eric on his statement that spanish flu really went after young ADULTS whereas the current iteration of H1N1 seems to have a fondness for children and the immunocompromised. i'll also stand by eric in the sense that with his first post on this thread, he did more googling than you did for your first post and shared what he learned for the benefit HTers who don't have a healthcare background.

i also object to your implication that only queen's has a good ER. you know as well as i do that every hospital--including ED--has to meet the exact same standards set by the DOH, CMS and the Joint Commission. to imply that only queen's ED is "good" is irresponsible, maybe even elitist, and insulting to your clinician colleagues. yes, queen's has a trauma center. but every hospital participates in the various meetings/updates/telephone conferences with the DOH H1N1 updates. every hospital has been prepared to diagnose/isolate/treat possible H1N1 patients. had H1N1 been more contagious/virulent than it is, your words could have caused queen's ED staff more stress than it needed, with patients refusing to be diverted/asked to go to to other EDs completely and equally capable of treating them.

i'm not dissing queen's by any means by pointing out they're the first hospital whose staff were infected by H1N1. it makes absolute sense that queens was the first simply because of the volume of patients they treat is much larger than anyone else's. but the fact that they have infected staff shows they're not significantly much more capable of caring for H1N1 patients who come into their ED than any other hospital's ED.

the point of eric's post--and mine before it--is not to minimize the seriousness of H1N1. you're right--it may mutate into something much more serious, and the fact there is already a strain resistant to tamiflu may be a step toward that. yes, a small number of people have gotten so sick with H1N1 that you've had to care for them in your CCU. but the fact remains--most people can avoid getting H1N1 at this point--indeed, any flu, and many other diseases--with simple actions. you yourself may need a full body condom when you're at work. but you're a CCU nurse, and that's very ordinary for a CCU nurse. that's not normal for the regular healthy person walking down the street or shopping in the mall or going to the movies.

i'll point out another thing: i may not be clinical, but bcs i'm in risk management, i get those updates from DOH and CMS et al before even you CCU nurse do. i'm not saying that to swing my dick. i'm saying that because i want everyone to know that i see the exact same CDC/DOH reports you do. in fact, i'm more likely to see the actual report whereas you get what's told to you by your manager or is dispersed via your hospital's bulletins.

what those reports indicate is that most people who get the swine flu don't need a stay in the CCU. most are quarantined home and given antibiotics. given a couple weeks, they're able to resume normal life and go back to work/school/daily activities. you also failed to mention that the swine flu currently isn't seen as more contagious/virulent than regular flu (which is itself can be deadly) and that the DOH is no longer requiring that every person who comes in with flu symptoms be tested for having H1N1.

that all said, thank you for taking the time to clarify and add to your first post. besides the complete mischaracterization of eric's motives and your defensive tone (which again shows that you're more interested in protecting the aura of expertise that having RN next to your name than the more altruistic desire of educating people), you did a decent job of "showing your work." ironic that you chide him for being condescending because it's actually you who's guilty of it.

thankfully, we three can all agree on these points:
  • wash your hands frequently, using soap and scrubbing all surfaces of your hands vigorously for at least the amount of time it takes to say the pledge of allegiance in your head.
  • stay home if you're sick.
  • avoid getting close to people who are sick if you can help it.
  • use hand sanitizers esp after touching widely-used surfaces in the public (doorknobs, for example).
  • eat and drink healthily.
  • sleep well and make sure you get enough sleep.
  • call your doctor if you have flulike symptoms. if you have fever of 100 degrees or more, go to the ER if your doc can't see you that very same day.

update: we now have a confirmed second swine flu-related death in hawaii. one of the comments to the HonAdv story contains a good-to-know stat: for the same time period: swine flu killed 600 or so people whereas regular flu killed 6,000. geewhiz, regular flu sounds like it can be an ugly, nasty, serious disease that hits hard, too! no joke!

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Last edited by cynsaligia; July 11th, 2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Ali`i

:::sigh:::

Talk about defensive here, LOL.
I know condescension when I see it, my dear. All the grandiose displays of defensive accusations can't obscure it. "Asking me to be more clear..." lol yet again. And no, I will not ignore it. Nurses are expected to be subservient shufflers far too often. Not much goes over my head, especially in that department.
C'mon now. Methinks there is much more to your response than just what we see in that post but I'll let that go. And ER's are all the same? Really? And you're in risk management?
Not caring to address the insults nor the overblown tirade any further I'll bid you adieu.
To all others (who I doubt misconstrued my original post and instead viewed it as a mere contribution to the thread and hardly a call for hysteria, quarantine, or wholesale panic) I apologize if my post caused undue concern. I doubt that it did, seeing that what I posted was already common public knowledge but just in case, sorry about that.
Stay safe and stay well.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

I know condescension when I see it, my dear. All the grandiose displays of defensive accusations can't obscure it. "Asking me to be more clear..." lol yet again. And no, I will not ignore it. Nurses are expected to be subservient shufflers far too often. Not much goes over my head, especially in that department.
C'mon now. Methinks there is much more to your response than just what we see in that post but I'll let that go. And ER's are all the same? Really? And you're in risk management?
Not caring to address the insults nor the overblown tirade any further I'll bid you adieu.
To all others (who I doubt misconstrued my original post and instead viewed it as a mere contribution to the thread and hardly a call for hysteria, quarantine, or wholesale panic) I apologize if my post caused undue concern. I doubt that it did, seeing that what I posted was already common public knowledge but just in case, sorry about that.
Stay safe and stay well.
there you go again, WORN. "all ERs are the same?" so NOT what i said.

if you think there's something more behind my coming after you, YES. i don't like it when someone mischaraterizes what eric says, even more than when i'm mischaracterized. YES, i hate it when someone uses their profession as if by mere mention of it, everyone should take what you say as complete and utter fact even tho what you do say is far from complete and therefore very easily could have been overblown by others not as well-versed in H1N1 as you should be. YES, i hate when a clinician is irresponsible. working in risk management (and also having worked with med mal plaintiff attys) i see it more often than i would like. your all-too brief and sensationalist initial post? less than responsible, and less than befitting someone with your creds.

if you think that risk managers have a role that works against clinicians on the floor and that's the attitude i take, well, i feel sorry for you.

if you think that there's something more than that, i welcome you to spill what you think my so-called ulterior motive is, here, in public. last year, i made the mistake of trusting you with my name, my actual job title, and where i work in a PM on a different subject (with the intention of alleviating certain concerns you had for friends of yours)--something maybe only five people on HT know. i'm thinking you're implying that what you know about me automatically colors my responses to you.

funny--you never returned the professional courtesy i gave you and told me who you are and where you work.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Last edited by cynsaligia; July 11th, 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Kumu

Quote:
But there is one glaring similarity that we are seeing now (and which is clearly evidenced by the stats pertaining to ages of H1N1 victims published by the CDC) and that is the propensity of the virus to affect the young. This is what I very briefly referenced in my previous post. This trend has been noted not only by our own public health organizations but by those in Canada and Mexico. The evidence is not just anecdotal in nature. The statistics clearly show it.
MPB, since you have an aversion to "statistical diarrhea" I'll refrain from posting the stats here. I suggest you google to your heart's content. The information is out there.
That is one glaring point you were wrong on and are still wrong. Show us the documentation that the Spanish Flu of 1918 had a propensity to affect the young. And by "young" I'm sure you mean those who would normally fall under the care of a pediatrician. I have Googled to my heart's content, and Stanford University, the World Health Organization, CDC and the visiting outbreak expert that MyopicJoe heard all say you're dead wrong.

CDC on Spanish Flu. CDC on H1N1 and which populations would be best to vaccinate first (eg, are the most likely to be infected first). WHO on Spanish Flu (pdf, page 2). WHO again on Spanish Flu (pdf, page 3) Stanford University info. (Here I am, again providing sources to back up what I say, not just resting on my degree as laurels, as you are wont to do.)

Yes, I do have an aversion to "statistical diarrhea." However, in my case I was being self-deprecating in pinching it off. You've yet to start a movement judging from the content of your posts. Using privacy as cover for making provocative blanket statements without being able to produce referential or statistically significant sources is just sad and lazy for someone who is speaking in their area of expertise. Of course if you were working in healthcare during the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak, I'll happily take back any criticisms. I'd be foolhardy to risk having my head chopped off.
Quote:

I know condescension when I see it, my dear. ...

Stay safe and stay well.
Perhaps you meant to say that you know condescension when you yourself excrete it, my dear. Google "condescension" to your heart's content and you'll find that I'd have to consider myself your professional superior in order to be guilty of said offense. Since I've never purported to be a physician or even play one on TV, I plead not guilty. And since you've plainly mischaracterized my original post to the degree of digging for pejorative gold, I'd like to kindly suggest you take a good, long look in the mirror. I wouldn't want any of Hawaii's valuable healthcare providers to fall victim to professional insecurity.

Speaking of victims, I'd like to wish the five Queen's doctors and nurses infected with H1N1 a full and speedy recovery. If the spread of Swine Flu continues to accelerate, their services will be sorely needed. I hope we can all agree, however, not to exploit this phase six pandemic as an opportunity to shill for any particular healthcare institution. Insinuating monopolized expertise is needed to treat what is, at this point, mostly an easily identifiable and treatable illness makes you suspect as a credible source.
Old July 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
Since I've never purported to be a physician or even play one on TV, I plead not guilty.
I've played a nurse on TV!!