Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Swine Flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
Within one week I went from having my first discussion with my daughter about this swine flu to its presence now being detected in state to the first case of it suspected on her campus.
Eeesh. Best wishes to you and your daughter.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:06 PM
Ali`i

Well, luckily for me, I am a stay at home...I guess you could say housewife, but I never really thought of myself as that before! (Not that it's a bad thing) The only person I see on a frequent basis other than my husband is my best friend, and she works from home, as does her husband. And due to my husband's work schedule, I so rarely see him anymore, and due to a recent back injury, I've been sleeping on the sofa bed (that one doesn't hurt my back for some reason).

My husband said they passed out ginormous pumps of hand sanitizer at work today to all the employees. I make him wash his hands as soon as he gets home. So I think I'm being as safe as possible. I do my grocery shopping at night anyway since I have no car during the day, and I always use my own pen, then wash my hands as soon as I'm done with the cart, door, etc. Maybe a little paranoid, but I'm not in a mask and gloves!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
"I think the primary purpose of a mask is to scare the heck out of the people you're talking to, and then they stay 5 feet away. They don't keep viruses away, they keep people away."
-- Laurie Garrett (author of The Coming Plague, and a fellow on the Council for Foreign Relations who studied global health and emerging diseases)
We're scared of a person who lives in a bubble. When the person in the bubble would die being outside because of us.
The new name for the Swine Flu is H1N1. As written down, the abbreviation looks like this flu comes from Hawaii.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 03:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
[...]I do my grocery shopping at night anyway since I have no car during the day, and I always use my own pen, then wash my hands as soon as I'm done with the cart, door, etc. Maybe a little paranoid, but I'm not in a mask and gloves!
If that makes you out to be paranoid, SG, then I'll consider myself in good company! I keep a bottle of hand sanitizer in my car almost exclusively for post-grocery cart use. My nephew, who has multiple health challenges, was constantly getting sick. His doc told my s-i-l that grocery carts are some of the germiest surfaces known to mankind! I took that to heart; hence, the Purell, or whatever brand it is, at my beck and call.

I realized during my casting session on Wednesday that I'll need to temporarily change the way I conduct them. Culturally speaking, Hawaii is a very touchy, huggie, kissie location! The majority of people who audition walk into the studio and hug, kiss and/or shake hands. Ditto when they leave the studio. I have a memo on each of my project's web pages, which are mandatory reading before talent receives an appt. time, telling talent to cancel their freaking appointments if they're sick on the audition day. Well, I don't put it that undiplomatically but from now 'til this scare is over I will add undiplomatic language!!! One gal was part way thru her audition, which wasn't going well, when I noticed her sniffing...this after she'd done her huggie/kissie routine with everyone in the studio. After her audition I asked her if she was ok. Nope...she woke up sick that morning! Grrrrrrrrrr! As soon as she left, the director busted out a huge bottle of hand sanitizer and we took a break to try to undo any potential damage! Hands. Arms. Face. I reminded her about the memo on the web page but it appeared she cared more about trying to get the job than she did about anyone's health, including her own. Starting with the next casting session I'll post a sign on the studio door stating NO hugging, kissing or hand shaking. I really don't like doing that because I feel, for the majority of my sessions, banning such practices is culturally inappropriate. So, I'll add that blowing kisses and telling us how much they love us is H1N1 appropriate!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Starting with the next casting session I'll post a sign on the studio door stating NO hugging, kissing or hand shaking. I really don't like doing that because I feel, for the majority of my sessions, banning such practices is culturally inappropriate. So, I'll add that blowing kisses and telling us how much they love us is H1N1 appropriate!
An additional option could be to set up a table between you and the actors. You sit behind the table, and they stay on the other side. Sort of like American Idol style.

Add me to the list of those that use hand sanitizer after shopping in market. I do it because of salmonella, etc. (I also always have the raw chicken and meat put in a separate sack than the other groceries, no dripping juices from the raw chicken in my loaf of bread, please!)
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Kia`aina

Juss attended a Hakalau Reunion in Las Vegas this week. I noticed no changes in behavior by the 195 attendees in the hospitality room or at the banquet.

One thing, though, I did notice more'n more using the liquid-hand sanitizer station at the entrance to the first floor California Hotel restaurant. Before AND after eating. Smaht people those Hawaiians - you never know what's on the escalator runners, brass railings, door handles, not to mention those damned slots. Remember: gotta use your fingers so you can pick / suck out all the goody bits from the oxtails.

I'm wondering how everyone will behave during my Tree Top high school reunion in a couple of weeks, then my nephew's wedding the following weekend at the Halekulani. My family's never been the huggy-kissy type, so truss me, I will continue that tradition. Through our family's entire history, maybe we were forever being proactive when it comes to ALL past and future health scares. Yeah, that's it.

Everybody: Wash your hands.

Last edited by Palama Kid; May 2nd, 2009 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old May 2nd, 2009, 01:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
An additional option could be to set up a table between you and the actors. You sit behind the table, and they stay on the other side. Sort of like American Idol style.[...]
The judge's table set-up you see on AI is standard procedure at all auditions 'cuz there're always several "judges" (clients; director producer, etc.) there! Talent either reach across the table or walk behind it! In addition to the sign on the studio door, I'll probably give individual flyers to each person while they're still in the waiting room. My guess is at least 50% won't read either!
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation sensible and effective measures against getting infected

if the word of an HTer who works at a hospital and gets daily updates re swine flu has any credence, here's the best way to keep yourself from getting sick from swine flu or any other cold or flu virus, anyway:

1. wash your hands frequently. this means at least once an hour or more if you are at work or otherwise out and about. if you cannot wash, use alcohol gels (purell and the like). the amount you use should take ten seconds to dry completely.

i've taken to carrying a 2 oz spray bottle of straight up regular rubbing alcohol in my purse. i just add a few drops of grapefruit and eucalyptus essential oil (5 drops each) just to add a tiny bit of scent. what i don't like about alchohol gels is if you use them frequently, you get this tacky feeling on your hand. i prefer actually washing my hands best of all tho. this does make my hands dry so i do use lotion but at least the alcohol on top of lotion won't make my hands tacky.

2. whenever you touch things that other people have touched (doorknobs, office equipment, atm machines, shopping carts, what have you) re-sanitize your hands by doing #1 above.

3. when you cough or sneeze, do not cough/sneeze into your hands then go touching surfaces. this is how you infect other people and keep yourself sick. cough into the crook of your elbow or your sleeve. or use a tissue. whatever you do, always cover your mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing as this will help reduce the number of airborne infectious bits you spread. then, make sure to do #1 above right after.

4. avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth whenever possible, unless you've done #1 above.

5. try to stay at least ten feet away from people who are coughing or sneezing bcs a number of bacteria/viruses can't travel further than that and survive well enough to infect you.

6. the masks that are available to non-healthcare workers are mostly a mental security thing. they do not protect from airborne infections like colds and flu or swine flu (or even TB, if i remember correctly). however, they will reduce the likelihood that someone who is infected already will infect other people (it's the whole covering your mouth thing). only those masks for which you get individually fit tested by a professional will completely seal your orifices enough to protect you (as a non-clinical hospital worker, even i don't have one of those!).

7. get a good amount of sleep every night. when you lack sleep, you severely limit the ability of your immune system to help protect you. when i suffered from insomnia, i constantly got sick. do what you can to make sure you sleep well--this was told to me by three different infection control nurses as well as my physicians.

8. eat healthily and take your vitamins. this also helps your immune system.

9. for god's sake, stay the heck home if you are sick! don't go to the movies or work or to the club or whatever it is. have consideration not only for your own body, but for everyone else in the community.

10. almost forgot--cover any wounds you may have, no matter how small they may be. if you have dry skin that tends to crack, moisturize properly. skin that keeps its integrity is the largest organ your body has as part of its immune system. we all seem to forget that, but it's true.

now, for info specifically about swine flu and how to decide whether you should get tested. a person might have swine flu if and only if, over the last seven days:

A. the person has respiratory illness (cough, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, chills, etc.)

WITH

B. fever higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit

PLUS

C. travel in the last seven days to Mexico or mainland US

OR

D. were in contact with people who have respiratory illness with 100+ degree fever AND were in Mexico or the mainland US.

health officials are watching swine flu closely and say that the next couple of weeks will decide whether this disease peters out or goes to level 6 (we're at level 5). i urge you all to try to avoid travel during this time and do items 1-10 above. by doing so, you really are helping the world community at large in a very tangible way with not spreading the disease.

i'm really hoping it dies down bcs my mom will be flying in from the mainland at the end of the month. also, i really don't want to be called in to work at the hospital due to a statewide emergency. i mean, i'm always happy to help people, but if i have to come in for that kind of things, that means we are very bad off.

hope this helps fellow HTers from going crazy.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ali`i

Thanks Cynsalglia for a great post! I had a check up with my physiatrist yesterday and he pretty much had your same comments especially regarding the mask. I'm flying out on Monday and have to stop in Dallas of all places on the way to MN then eventually IL. He said that healthy people with strong immune systems are pretty easily not in peril and that if we got a flu it would be easily dealt with. I appreciate your sensibilities and sound comments.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Ali`i

No one seems to be laughing at Germaphobes now.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:32 AM
Kia`aina

"Pandemic" does NOT mean deadly. It just means it's widespread.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative-1 View Post
"Pandemic" does NOT mean deadly. It just means it's widespread.
Exactly...

From what I've read and heard, and based on my challenged interpretive skills, it seems H1N1 symptoms aren't that much worse or different than the standard variety of flu that circulates each year. The major problem, as I understand it, is that it's a new strain and that becomes a challenge to peoples' immune systems...esp. children and young adults because they haven't contracted the number of virus' we ol' futs have. Therefore, the deaths seem to come not so much from H1N1 itself but from some peoples' immune systems going haywire trying to counteract this new bug. Wish I had cites but I can't recall which news and which web sites mentioned this. It was definitely several tho'.

I now wish I'd gone to the doc during my really bad flu 3 years ago and had him test for which strain it was. I doubt it was swine but I love to know in case that particular strain resurfaced.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ali`i

i can't remember the source-whether work reading or from elsewhere-the origin of the disease is humans. in other words, we gave them the flu and now they're returning the favor. this was discovered by analyzing disease dna.

for the record, when it's not cold/flu season or the world isn't facing a pandemic, i don't sanitize my hands as often as i do now unless i am going into the hospital units. sure, i wash before/after eating, toileting, buying groceries, etc. but i'm not so germophobic that i don't hug/kiss in greeting or shake hands. i just weigh the risk and act accordingly. if anyone is sick at work, i try not to touch the copier w/o a quick wipedown. everyone's healthy? i don't bother. best for our immune systems to strengthen themselves by beating up on lesser bugs than to be weakened from being sequestered from any cooties completely.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM
Ali`i

The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.

The Mexicans have the right idea. So does Hongkong.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
[...]
for the record, when it's not cold/flu season or the world isn't facing a pandemic, i don't sanitize my hands as often as i do now unless i am going into the hospital units. sure, i wash before/after eating, toileting, buying groceries, etc. but i'm not so germophobic that i don't hug/kiss in greeting or shake hands. i just weigh the risk and act accordingly. if anyone is sick at work, i try not to touch the copier w/o a quick wipedown. everyone's healthy? i don't bother. best for our immune systems to strengthen themselves by beating up on lesser bugs than to be weakened from being sequestered from any cooties completely.
Ditto for me on all accounts, cyn. I really like the affection shown locally, be it at my casting sessions or anywhere else. I had a casting session the first 2 days of the really rotten flu I had 3 years ago. I was very vocal to all the talent about being sick and staying away from me. They did...no questions asked! We need to keep our immune systems in working order by not living in a sanitized bubble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.[...]
The sky is falling...the sky is falling...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ali`i

Went to Kapiolani Hospital this morning to get a routine blood test before I see my doctors this month and I must have seen at least 3 hand sanitizers mounted on walls from the time I entered the building to the lab in the basement.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The Mexicans have the right idea. So does Hongkong.
SM, I live in Mexico. No one is locking themselves in their house where in live. Everyone is out and about. I understand they shut some things down in Mexico City for a while, but not where I live. In this metropolitan area of about 100K stretching over 100 miles and about 30 miles wide, I haven't heard of one reported case of the flu. The reported cases of flu in this country of about 120M is less than 2000 and the number of reported cases is going down. The epidemic lasted about three weeks. I'm going to presume this was good work on the part of the Mexican Health agencies.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The best way to protect yourself and your family is to go inside your home and close the door until the threat has passed.
Are there any Signs? Even Mel Gibson came out with a hot Russian model?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Went to Kapiolani Hospital this morning to get a routine blood test before I see my doctors this month and I must have seen at least 3 hand sanitizers mounted on walls from the time I entered the building to the lab in the basement.

in case you're wondering, the proliferation of hand gel dispensers at hospitals is not a reaction to the swine flu. all hospitals are must meet standards set by by the joint commission, a national organization that accredits hospitals. one of the standards has to do with infection control and hand-washing/sanitizing. caregivers are to sanitize their hands before and after seeing each patient, which is why if you walk onto a hospital unit, hand gel dispensers are (should be) everywhere. it's also to encourage visitors to sanitize their hands as well.

Old May 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Ali`i

San Diego County seems to be reporting 17 confirmed cases, only 2 with direct connection in Mexico, 3 schools closed.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
Thanks Cynsalglia for a great post! I had a check up with my physiatrist yesterday and he pretty much had your same comments especially regarding the mask. I'm flying out on Monday and have to stop in Dallas of all places on the way to MN then eventually IL. He said that healthy people with strong immune systems are pretty easily not in peril and that if we got a flu it would be easily dealt with. I appreciate your sensibilities and sound comments.
Just to let you know, the reports that North Dallas schools were being shut down are false. Some website reported that all of the Denton county schools were being closed, but this is completely not true. We seem to be doing fairly okay here (at last count, there were 15 confirmed cases, which may sound like a lot, but there are over 6 million people in the DFW metroplex), so please don't be too worried about having to stop here. I'll wave at you as you go by.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Ali`i

Mahalo Cyn!

In The Honolulu Advertiser dis morning:
Flu may not be as lethal as was feared
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...ource=nletter-

"Across the country, there have been instances of what some have called overreaction. The entire school district in Fort Worth, Texas, closed after a single case of swine flu. Emergency rooms reportedly have been swamped by people complaining of a cough. Administration officials said healthy people should still go to graduation events, ride public transportation and so on. "Common sense: You don't need to wear a mask," Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on "Fox News Sunday."

Ok? OK!!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Ali`i

I wonder what the annual, average number of flu cases is and the annual, average number of flu related deaths. If I had time I'd do some research but, alas, I'm in the midst of fixing brunch for house guests! Plus, I just sneezed 3 times in a row. Maybe I should rush to the ER!
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I wonder what the annual, average number of flu cases is and the annual, average number of flu related deaths. If I had time I'd do some research but, alas, I'm in the midst of fixing brunch for house guests! Plus, I just sneezed 3 times in a row. Maybe I should rush to the ER!
A trip to the ER? Not a bad idea. If it turns out you actually have the H1 M1 virus, you'll receive prompt medical treatment. If not, then you might hook up with a handsome, strapping paramedic.
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
the following doesn't exactly answer your question, but this might give you a general idea, tutusue.

from the hawaii dept of health disease outbreak control division's 2007-2008 influenza season summary (sept 30, 07-may 17, 08):

Quote:
A total of 1,047 (29.3%) of the 3,571 specimens tested by SLD (Hawaii State Laboratories Division) were confirmed influenza positive during the recent flu season; 374 (36%) of these were influenza A(H3), and 334 (32%) were influenza A(H1). Fifteen influenza A (1%) isolates were not sub-typed. There were 324 (31%) influenza B cases.
(p. 4)

Quote:
Two hundred fifty-eight P&I (pneumonia and influenza) (11.2%) related deaths of 2,298 total deaths were recorded in Honolulu during the past flu season; the average P&I mortality during the 2007-2008 influenza season was higher than the season's national average (8.6%) and the 2006-2007 seasonal average (8.8%).
(p.2)

regarding flu infections broken down by age groups:

Quote:
Based on these data, school children and young adults (age group 5-24) seemed most likely to test positive when influenza was suspected (32% of positive influenza cases versus 22% of specimens tested), whereas infants (age group <1 year) were least likely to be positive for influenza and likely to have other etiologies for their respiratory illness (8% of positive influenza cases versus 19% of specimens tested). These trends are similar to observations during the 2005-06 and 2006-07 influenza seasons.
(p.4)

Regarding avian flu for the same period:

Quote:
No cases of avian influenza infection in humans have been identified in the United States, including Hawaii. At the end of the 2007-08 traditional flu season, human cases of avian influenza A(H5N1) have been
detected in 15 countries. A total of 385 cases (79 new cases during the 2007-08 season) were confirmed by WHO (World Health Org). Of all patients to date who have become ill with WHO-confirmed avian influenza, 243 (63%) died.
(p. 8)

Overall...

Quote:
...the 2007-08 traditional flu season in Hawaii was mild in intensity.
(p.1)