Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Where are you from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anapuni808 View Post
I have to admit that I was born in Iowa (same town as Leo Lakio).
Though I wasn't actually born there; born in St. Louis, but moved when I was less than a year old to that Iowa burb, for which I still have a sentimental fondness. Planning to visit there again this August, in time for the Iowa State Fair.

Very pleased to see the recent news about Iowa legally acknowledging same-sex marriages. Helps to shake out the stereotypes and misconceptions people might have about Iowans, the very thing to which beaker just referred.
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Very pleased to see the recent news about Iowa legally acknowledging same-sex marriages.
Why would the gay lobby pick a state like Iowa for their push for same sex marriage? They must have been thinking of their honeymoon night of Iooowwwaaa...
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwnc2c View Post
DH is a Texan and the good ol' boy wants to be there right now
I'll trade with him...I'm so over this place!!

anapuni808:
Quote:
I don't think it really matters where we are born or grow up - it has to do with the soul and the gut and where THAT feels at home. Mine is here is Hawaii.
I only lived in Hawaii 4 months, and it felt more like home to me than Texas...and I've lived here for almost 28 years. But I wouldn't feel right saying I was from Hawaii since I spent such a short period of time there.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old April 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Kia`aina

I try to answer the "where you from" question in regards to the context of the conversation.

I was born in Germany, but have no real memories of it. Moved to Cali as a small kid. Lived in three other states, and back here. Lived in quite a few So Cal towns, so I usually just tend to say Orange County.
Old April 15th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Keiki

I also find this difficult to answer. I'm an Army brat, who married a man in the Army. I have spent most of my years in Northern Virgina/ DC area, so that is usually where I tell people I am from.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:48 AM
Keiki

I agree with btwn2c.

"Home" is where the heart is, where loved ones are.

I've moved around a lot and have happy memories for a number of places. Still, I wouldn't necessarily feel compelled to go back unless a part of my heart was still called there.

When I"m asked where I'm from I usually give the most recent move. Depending on the intent of the question, that often suffices.

Of course, then there's those longer conversation about "where are you from?" that are really about something more than geography.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Kanaka

When someone asks where I'm from, I usually say "originally or most recently?" I'm originally from southern Illinois (as in, 6 hours south of Chicago, on the Kentucky/Illinois border) but have moved 3 or 4 times in the last decade or so. My favorite was living in and around Austin, Texas.

Currently, I'm back in southern Illinois (where I'm really and truly landlocked ) while I finish grad school but will hopefully move away when I'm done.

Last edited by KeleiGrrrl; May 3rd, 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Ali`i

I suppose when answering this question, one could be a true smart a$$ and just say, "My mother."

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old May 4th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Ali`i

Places I've lived for a year or more, in alphabetical order:

California
Connecticut
Florida
Georgia
Hawai`i
Nevada
Utah
Vietnam

But, I'm "from" Hawai`i
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old June 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Why would the gay lobby pick a state like Iowa for their push for same sex marriage? They must have been thinking of their honeymoon night of Iooowwwaaa...
Most of Iowa's population is consentrated into the cities, which although are all small, still have a quite urban feel. This part of the midwest is actually quite liberal in culture in comparison to other parts of our midwest neighbors. The vast and sparsly populated agricultural areas surrounding the cities has more of a conservative feel to their culture. This is what makes the Iowa caucuses so interesting to the rest of the country.

By the way, there are plenty of gay people right here in the Iowa cities to make a difference. There is a Pride festival every year here in Davenport where I live. I live about 6 blocks from what we all call the 'rainbow district'. It comes as no supprise to me that this would become a state which recognizes same-sex marrage.
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

Proud to say: Born and raised in Hawaii. Been around the world twice in both directions. Lived in Idaho, Colorado, Texas. Visited the Middle East, Been to Europe. Greatest experience in Paris was stepping off the train and into a puddle of piss...lovely welcome to France.

But having been a world traveller, when I came home to Hawaii, I stepped off the plane, dropped to my knees and kissed the tarmac. Lived the life of an East Honolulu resident, experienced many cultures all over the world twice, and finally moved to the Big Island to feel a deeper sense of Hawaii, two of my children in one of Hilo's oldest canoe teams Hui Waa O Waikea. Now entrenched in a deeper appreciation for the Aina. This local boy has embraced the richness of these beautiful islands. And they say you need to have a degree to be worldly. I wonder how many graduates never left the islands much less the United States. I can tell them what worldly is.

There's no better place to be than beautiful Hawaii. Hawaii No Ka Oi

Last edited by craigwatanabe; June 28th, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Ali`i

I was listening to one of the shows this past week on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Craig was asking a couple of girls some questions, it turns out that the girls are twins and Craig asked "So where are you from?".

One girl says "I'm from Los Angeles and she is from Milwaukee."

Craig responds by saying "Really, how do you manage that?", after some laughter from the audience and I suspect some funny faces type of reactions, then Craig re-phrases his question by saying "So where were you born?"

One of the girls answered "Chicago."
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Kia`aina

When people ask me where I'm from, I always say, "Hawai'i". Because that's where I was born and raised. And Hawai'i is the culture that I identify with. And with a name like Mokihana, well, people generally assume I'm not from Oregon!

Of course, there was the guy who wanted to call me Pocahantas and got pretty irate when I told him no. Sheesh.
Old April 10th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Ali`i

Whoa! A Mokihana sighting! Even rarer than the ultra-rare Lurkah, methinks!
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
But, I'm "from" Hawai`i
Should have mentioned: I was born in Connecticut, and lived there till I was 20. I've lived in Hawai`i for 31 years. All the other places were temporary, just a year or two.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Kia`aina

I've lived in the same house in Kalihi for almost 26 years now. Up until 2008, I only ever visited neighbor islands, but then I finally got to visit the mainland. Great experience, but I don't know if I could handle moving away from Hawaii. First I should try to manage moving into a different house, maybe.
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

kupomog sighting!
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Kia`aina

Yeah I think I was too shy for my own good when I first joined so I disappeared for a bit >.<
Old May 8th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Ali`i

I was born in Saskatchewan in Regina.
My dearly missed parents lived in Weyburn.
The winters were very cold but our family was close knit and defeated the cold.
Old May 10th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Luna

Red face Re: Where are you from?

I always take a deep breath and reply: MadisonWisconsinKohlerWisconsinParkForestIllinoisB ethesdaMarylandBedfordMassachausettsGlencoeIllinoi sHonoluluHawaiiClaremontCaliforniaLincolnCityOrego nStPaulMinnesotaNewPragueMinnesotaBozemanMontana. And PaloloValley since 1987.
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Haumana

Location: Louisiana (northern as opposed to the more notable areas down south!)

I grew up in small rural town 30 miles from where I stay now in Monroe, Louisiana. Physically Oak Ridge looked then like some of the small Plantation communities I saw on Kaua'i with the little churches and "down towns" with the little storefronts and on street diagonal parking. Back then cotton was king but now fields are filled with corn!

Monroe was called an armpit of a place by Robert Kekaula once to my face when I met some of the UH press folks at the local hotel bar where they were hold up prior to game day in Ruston in '05! That might be accurate but still stung a bunch! Most visitors here are making an overnight stop-over traveling between Dallas and Atlanta on Interstate 20. Most destination visits are for business or visiting relatives.
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM
Kia`aina

Born in Chicago, lived there and in the Northwest suburbs until I was 11. Family relocated to Ft. Wright Kentucky, just across the Ohio river from Cincinnati (Skyline Chili...drooool). At 16 moved to Lake Worth, Florida (home of the newlywed & nearly dead). Finished college and came to Honolulu to visit my brother and his wife.

That was 26 years, a business, a wife, 3 boys, and a dog ago.

The past 8 years have been in Ewa Beach. Love living there. Great neighbors. Lousy traffic.
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM
Ali`i

This thread continues to bring back posters we've not heard from in a while. Welcome back, FJ. Maybe we need to change the thread from "Where are you from" to "Where have you been"?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Keiki

Sacremento, CA. Then moved to Texas. Lived many other places. Spent most of my time in Dallas, Texas. Spent first time in Honolulu in April this year.

Found people on the island the friendliest, courteous of almost anywhere I've been.

Even though Texas is my home, found Hawaiians to be very excellent people. Hope to come back some time.
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via MSN to memorylane Send a message via Yahoo to memorylane

Born in Oklahoma, various towns, moved to Oahu in 79 thru 82. It ruined me. I've been back twice for about a week and fantasize near daily of returning there for good.