Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Melting Pot
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old April 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Kanaka

Default Where are you from?

When meeting someone new, it is common to inquire about their background to get a snapshot of who they are and where they are coming from. For locals in Hawaii, one of the first questions that comes up is, "What school did you grad?"

Some of my friends went to college on the mainland and stayed there after school to work. They have lived there over 20 years which is longer than they lived in Hawaii. So they are somewhat conflicted when they get the question, "Where are you from?" They don't keep up with Hawaii current events and their kids don't understand their cousins' pidgin. Some just identify themselves as residents of wherever they currently live. But some identify strongly with their Hawaii roots and feel compelled to say, "I'm from Hawaii, but now I live in ________."

For those that have lived in different locations for significant portions of your lives, how do you associate yourself? Do you identify more with where you were born and raised or with your adopted home?
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Where are you from?

I would respond to that question by saying "I currently live in" and then put in the place where I currently live, which for me is a different place from where I was born, raised and went to high school and which is yet another different place from where I went to college.
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

I feel like there is 100 threads on this...but, I am from Bermuda, and now live in Washington D.C.

If someone asks "where are you from" I PROUDLY say Bermuda...where are you from, and where do you live are 2 different questions in my book.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old April 8th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Ali`i

It's easier to say "I'm from Chicago" than the actual locations. For example I was born in an orphanage that is no longer there, in the ghetto part of town
near the United Center where the Bulls play. No one knows where Naperville is so I don't say that and while some people know of Evanston where I went to school at Northwestern many here don't. They think Northwestern is that school in Washington state.

My final answer would be "Kaneohe" as I've been here during my 24 years in Hawaii for 16 years........I've been in Hawaii longer than anywhere and consider this my home
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Luna

Thumbs up Re: Where are you from?

Usually I'll say "the Eastern part of Washington State", and when they don't know where that is exactly (or have no concept of how it looks on a map), I'll say "you know Seattle or Portland? Now drive 200 miles east." If they still don't know (and even with access to maps everywhere, some will still ask), I'll just say "a few hours outside of Seattle".

I will always say Hawai'i is where I was raised, and what I still consider to be my "eternal home".

(cue the audience: "awwwwwwwwwwwwwww")
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Ali`i

I identify a little bit differently...
My hometown is Laguna Beach, CA.
My adopted home is Hawaii.
Both factor into the equation. Equally. I cannot separate them.

My kids lived in Laguna for 10 years, Hawaii for 8 years and now Calif. for over 20 years. Still, they list their "home town" as Hawaii. It makes me feel so proud to know that yanking them from their roots at such a tender age had such a positive impact on them.
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Kia`aina

If someone asks me where I'm from, I say that I was born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, left Illinois after college, lived in several states when I was married to a Navy pilot, but moved back to Hawaii after spending too many years in Texas AND because Hawaii is where my heart and soul have led me to call home.
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Kumu

"I grew up near Pittsburgh, and I left as soon as I could..."
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old April 9th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Ali`i

I'm not really "from" anywhere as I now reside within 5 miles of my birthplace.
Within 10 miles of my father's birthplace.
The "Valley". San Fernando that is, swimming pools, movie stars.
Totally dude, for sure.

Now my ancestors hail from Ireland, England, France, Spain, Mexico and elsewhere lost to history.

Last edited by sinjin; April 9th, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
If someone asks "where are you from" I PROUDLY say Bermuda...where are you from, and where do you live are 2 different questions in my book.
That's the gist of this question. Does the equation change depending upon how long you have been away from "home"?

I had dinner recently with a friend who grew up in Hawaii but has been away for a long time. He has always sentimentally regarded Hawaii as home but realized that he feels like a tourist now when he comes "home" to Hawaii. He doesn't speak pidgin anymore. He wears sandals instead of slippers. Doesn't get the references to current local stuff that comes up in conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"I grew up near Pittsburgh, and I left as soon as I could..."
Too funny! Some say you can never go home again. Some don't want to.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Ali`i

My "location" in the upper right hand corner of this screen says it all for me.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
So if you just moved somewhere or are traveling and someone asks where you're from you honestly say "Here"? Interesting outlook on things, hehe.

I was born and lived in the same city for 18 years so I always say that, even though I've lived in several states since then.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ali`i

By next year (assuming no unpleasant changes), I will have lived half of my life in Seattle, and half in the Midwest. Where I am from matters less to me than where I am.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Ali`i

Born in Liverpool/England but taken to France at a few weeks old to live with my nan.
I was ten when she died and then I went to stay with relatives in Ireland.

I started to learn English when I was about 12. Even though I live in England but often work (p/t) in France, I still consider myself as a Liverpool > Scouser.
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
then I went to stay with relatives in Ireland..
Erin go bragh! I'm of Irish extract. My gaelic name is Padraig.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Erin go bragh! I'm of Irish extract. My gaelic name is Padraig.
Caisc shona ! (Happy Easter) I won't hi-jack the post, Padraig/Patrick or affectionately here Paddy or Pat.

My very best wishes to you and yours.

Barry
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ali`i

I say Dallas. I grew in a suburb about 15 miles away, but no one (except others from Dallas) knows where that is, so it's easier to answer that way. And anyway, I've lived in the DFW metroplex all but 2 years of my almost 30.

One thing I find hilarious is when I go somewhere (like when we lived in Hawaii or when I lived in Arkansas) and I'd say I was from Dallas, someone would say, "Oh, you're from Dallas? Do you know so-and-so?" Like...yes, I know that ONE person in a metroplex of 6.3 million. If I came from a small town, that'd be different, but Dallas is a pretty big city!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old April 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Ali`i

Hmmm. Military brat. No real home town, even after adulthood, so that's a difficult question for me.

I always say, "Well, that's a long story!"
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Kumu

Quote:
The question is where are you from.......not where sarcasm is located matapule.

*waves*

aloha HT Ohana.

have a pleasant weekend and a safe easter

Lomi
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Kia`aina

I always hate that question. Not only because it's a bear to answer, but also because I don't like being lumped into someone's preconception of people who are from one place or another. If I have to answer it I give the full list of places where I've lived, and hope they're too confused to ask more by the end.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Kumu

I’ve lived in a lot of places too in my younger days. When I joined the Navy at 17, they wanted a list of places we lived. We told them it was a problem to list them all, so they said I only need to list places we lived for 6 months or more. The short list is 19 different places.

I used to say I was from Boulder Colorado because I lived there for 3 years before we started to move around.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Kanaka

I always say "I'm orginally from Hawaii but"...and then I go on because I've been gone from there uumm, 40 years and have lived in 6 different states since then and have probably been back to HI about 5 times since I've left. I keep ties there since my big ohana is there and I try to keep abreast by the HI news stations, newspapers, blogs, etc.

Hey, Surlygirly...I've also lived in the Dallas area. Three times actually, but the last time 3 years ago, I couldn't deal anymore. Gotta go. Lived in Garland (closer to the Mall at Mesquite), out towards Lake Ray Hubbard and the last time in Dallas metro. DH is a Texan and the good ol' boy wants to be there right now so I, had to say "I'm going to hele on." *L* Will be out there for a visit soon, though, since he always comes out here where I am.
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Ali`i

when asked, I have to admit that I was born in Iowa (same town as Leo Lakio). However, I have lived in Hawaii more than half my life, with some years in California. So, when I have to "identify" where I am from, I will ususally say that I live in Hawaii - it where I consider I'm "home". I don't think it really matters where we are born or grow up - it has to do with the soul and the gut and where THAT feels at home. Mine is here is Hawaii.
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ali`i

SP!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back dude!! I was wondering where you went!
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Kanaka

I agree that it doesn't matter where you are originally from...it's where your heart and soul feels that you are at "home." Like "Home is where your heart is." I was born and raised in HI. At times, I think I would like to be back but I know it'll never happen. So I have a little envy of those of you that are there but I have my memories of the ai'na back then when it was uncluttered the way it is now.