Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which do you most often use: Pali Highway, Likelike Highway or H-3 Freeway?
Pali Highway 7 20.00%
Likelike Highway 10 28.57%
H-3 Freeway 14 40.00%
None of the above. It get around from the North Shore or Makapu'u side 1 2.86%
None of the above. I have a helicopter, hot air baloon or other means 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:34 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Pali, Likelike or H-3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
My destination was back to our office which is near downtown, so then I thought, if I took Likelike, I'd either have to fight traffic on H-1 to get from Kalihi to downtown. Or, take the Kalihi street cutoff and drive down King Street east-bound, dealing with all the traffic lights and construction work along the way in the Palama area.
Ahem! Some of us who call Kalihi "home" look at the matter quite differently. Damn Windward motorists clogging up our neighborhood roads trying to get to town.

j/k

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
Another advantage of Likelike over Pali is that there's less elevation gain. A bonus if you're in a underpowered car. I remember the school buses taking Likelike for that reason.
True. But in the days before H3, the one exception came to buses transporting football teams/marching bands. If a Windward team played Farrington at Aloha Stadium, going back home on the Likelike meant they (Castle, Kailua, or Kalaheo) lost. If they won, the drivers wouldn't chance Likelike. Going up the Pali obviously meant a major detour for Castle HS, but it was either enduring the inconvience,..... or risking shattered windows driving past Kam IV Road Housing.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
On the poll I selected None of the above. I have a helicopter, hot air baloon or other means, because I either take TheBus or catch a ride with someone else when I go to the Windward side.
Technically, TheBus is "other means," but it still takes one of the three highway options, or the long way round/circle route - which was part of the fourth option.
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
The H-3 view is hard to beat, the higher speed limit refreshing, and my wife likes to hold her breath through the Tetsuo Harano tunnel.
We do that, too...learned the breath-holding from DS...one of his Kama`aina Kids programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
....sit back and gawk at the K-Mountains in all their glory. Wizz through the super-fun tunnel and shoot out the other side into a completely different weather pattern. Kaneohe Bay is on the left and never fails to make me smile....I always feel awesome after driving the H-3.
My thoughts exactly. The HNL side of that highway reminds me a little of I-40; but BETTER! We still ooh and aah when we exit the tunnel onto the windward side.

I haven't travelled the LikeLike--one of the few roads we haven't used yet. So my vote is kinda skewed, and I might change my mind.

Do I really need a passport? I wondered; does my passport for the Leeward side count?
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
[...]
Do I really need a passport? I wondered; does my passport for the Leeward side count?
Windward and leeward sides use the same passport but different visas. Be sure to not get caught on one side of the island with the other side's visa. And whatever you do, don't take pork over the Pali!
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Ali`i

Mahalo, Tutu! Now where to get the visas...Zippy's, or L&L?
Old February 24th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
Mahalo, Tutu! Now where to get the visas...Zippy's, or L&L?
L&L! No Zippy's in Waianae!!!
Old February 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Kia`aina

My preference for going from Kaneohe to the airport, Pearlridge or Leeward side is H-3....and the incredible scenery is heavenly. When I work in town, I take the Likelike and avoid the H-1 as much as possible by taking some of the sidestreets like Hala Drive, School Street, etc. I've even taken the side streets all the way to Kahala.....I HATE H-1!! One of our reasons for choosing to buy on the Windward side (besides the incredible scenery, the people, the quieter lifestyle and the cooler weather) was all the choices of routes into town....if I'm REALLY in a "I need a scenery fix" frame of mind, I'll drive along the Waimanalo coast. I never fail to appreciate how much I love it here when I take that route in either direction...even if there's a single lane of traffic going through Waimanalo for whatever reason. Would rather be there than on Farrington Hwy. traffic any day!
Old February 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Ali`i

if I had to put them in order from favorite to less liked it would go:
Pali
H3
other, like Kalanianaole around hawaii kai
Likelike

I made Likelike my least favorite because its so narrow, and I'm less familiar with it because of that. if its raining, i avoid it altogether.

Pali is my most favorite because its closest to my house, i know it best, its pretty well lit which makes it a good choice at night, pretty clear signage, and relatively easy access to H1, Waikiki, Ala Moana, and Honolulu.

H3. Ugh. I want to like it more. People speed and thats annoying. Cops at the end of that hill are also annoying. I'm always afraid they'll pull me over instead of the guy who blew past me at 100mph a mile back and jammed his brakes before the radar.(!) Still, its the easiest, neatest way for me to get to the westside.

Kalanianaole is scary but soooooooo beautiful. I have to go thru Waimanalo, tho, which can be really slow oftentimes, and doesn't have the great view. But unfortunately, the scenic part of the road is also dangerous and windy and unpredictable.
Old February 27th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ali`i

Ooh, and I forgot about Kam Hwy. That's my favorite. The part that goes from Kailua up around the whole windward side, through Laie, to the North Shore. That could technically be a route, since I can then hop on the H-2 and take that to the H-1.

But the Kam Hwy is sooo gorgeous. And the site of many good adventures from the good ol' days. I'd give ANYTHING to have one of them back.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Old February 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohacandy View Post
One of our reasons for choosing to buy on the Windward side (besides the incredible scenery, the people, the quieter lifestyle and the cooler weather) was all the choices of routes into town....
Same here. Traffic and cooler weather were the two big ones for my wife and me.

I used to live in Waipahu and work in town. I dealt with that ridiculous commute twice a day. When you live that commute, you get used to it, and you don't realize how stupid it is until you don't have to deal with it anymore.

I take the H3 to/from work everyday, and I'm doing at least the speed limit the entire way. Leeward-side commuters are lucky if they get anywhere near the speed limit for more than two or three minutes at a time.

It's not just that the roads in/out of the Windward side aren't congested, it's -- like you said -- that there are multiple choices. Leeward or East Oahu folks are screwed if their one good route to work is closed or badly congested. If my primary route to work is closed, no problem. I'll take one of the other two uncongested ones. It'll add a few minutes to my commute on a bad day.

Cool weather is another big one. I know we don't get the awesome sunsets, but I love that the sun disappears behind the Koolaus fairly early in the afternoon. We get to enjoy a few hours of cool shade while the rest of the island is still heating up. Yeah, it gets pretty chilly in the winter months, but having cool weather all year-round easily makes it worth it.

I know I'm going off-topic here, but the three routes in/out of the Windward side is just one of the many reasons why I love living here.
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Kumu

When visiting Hawaii, traveling from my parents place in PC to the windward side I always take H3. Its breathtaking when I come outta that tunnel! I really wished they built lookout points for motorists to stop at.

Lovena
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastTropics View Post
When visiting Hawaii, traveling from my parents place in PC to the windward side I always take H3. Its breathtaking when I come outta that tunnel! I really wished they built lookout points for motorists to stop at.

Lovena
Excellent suggestion/point about having lookouts on the windward side of the H-3. One day when our economy rebounds (one miraculous day), perhaps the fed and/or state can appropriate a few $mil to add a (SAFE) lookout point out there along the side of the suspended freeway. The cost could be justified by the fact that this would such an incredible asset to Oahu's scenic agenda for tourists.

You can't understand this enough until you experience the view over Kaneohe bay from high atop Haiku Valley, yourself in person (from your car) from the H-3. Almost as good as taking an aerial helicopter tour of the Windward side. It's truly breathtaking!
Old February 28th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Ali`i

I seem to recall that they intentionally didn't put lookout areas on the H-3.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: H-3?

LikaNui, I had a hunch on that, yet didn't follow the media coverage as closely as I should have back then during the construction of H-3 while it was being built. Why again was it that they intentionally didn't include lookouts?

Thanks!
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
I wondered about this too. I could see why they would intentionally not put lookout areas........

Lovena
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
LikaNui, I had a hunch on that, yet didn't follow the media coverage as closely as I should have back then during the construction of H-3 while it was being built. Why again was it that they intentionally didn't include lookouts?
If memory serves (which it occasionally does, much to my surprise), it was because the views are soooo gorgeous that they knew a zillion cars would want to pull over into any lookout areas, and they felt (probably correctly) that that would disrupt the flow of traffic.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Ali`i

Re: lookouts

They were even concerned that drivers would be distracted while driving just coming out of the tunnels, and so in advance of opening they invited the public to come up for a day or so and WALK the freeway - through the tunnels and onto the Windward side - so they could oooo and aaaah. But it's still "fresh" and spectacular every time I take the ride...
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If memory serves (which it occasionally does, much to my surprise), it was because the views are soooo gorgeous that they knew a zillion cars would want to pull over into any lookout areas, and they felt (probably correctly) that that would disrupt the flow of traffic.
I can only remember that it was discussed, but can't remember the reason.

I'm wondering if it was a case of funding. The feds wouldn't pay for it (had nothing to do with their goals - connecting KMCAS to the airport/PH) and the state was too cheap to. Or maybe a jurisdictional issue between fed and state - the feds wouldn't allow the state to connect to their roadway.
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
But it's still "fresh" and spectacular every time I take the ride...
Same here, and I drive it every day.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Ali`i

Since H-3 is part of the national Interstate Highway System, those freeways are designed for faster travel with fewer interruptions. The lookout points would run the risk of causing accidents as drivers attempt to return to traffic at the higher speed of oncoming vehicles. In addition, remember that H-3's primary purpose was for the quick movement of military vehicles on O`ahu, not as a scenic roadway.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Ali`i

Actually, there is a scenic turnout just outside of KMCAS. So it has been done. The issue might have been the cost, visual impact and environmental impact of adding one up near the tunnels.

I think the real question is what would it take to add one now?
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
I think the real question is what would it take to add one now?
An influential Senator, who's willing to face the flak for adding a pork project in today's economy.
Old February 28th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
An influential Senator, who's willing to face the flak for adding a pork project in today's economy.
Last I checked, we were doing well in that department (for now).
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: H-3 Scenic Point

Great points here made on the reasons/facts why a scenic lookout wasn't included on the windward side of the H-3 near/in Haiku valley.

Also, I'm willing to bet if they were to consider retrofitting one, HPD would protest against it. Not only because of the hazards posed by cars pulling off and on the high speed freeway, but also the problems that will surely arise from activity at the lookout. Oh like say BASE Jumpers, drug and alcohol consumption, and other various crimes. Even if they had surveillance cameras monitoring the lookout(s), it wouldn't be much of a deterrent way up there where it's relatively isolated.

The (only) scenic point located near Kaneohe Marine Base was there ever since the beginning, before H-3 got its main construction started. That strip coming from out of the Marine base and winding around onto Kaneohe Bay drive has been there much earlier than when H-3 finally got its main wheels turning to complete the project.

Last edited by Pomai; February 28th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Could it have been the Coast Guard station below? I remember they were going to put up shields to protect the motoring public from the RF emissions from the antenna stretched across the valley. With that kind of thinking they certainly would not want to have people linger in the area.