Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > All in the `Ohana
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Ali`i

Default A slice of your life that you wish to share

The following quote came from the What's for Dinner thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
(no comments from the peanut gallery)
I don't know about the rest of you but I tend to treat the three What's for meal threads as a log or a journal of what one had consumed for that meal. Once in a while someone will post to these threads a question or a comment that some how does not fit into the category of eating a meal and in most cases I have let that slide.

However I have been noticing that type of replies to those threads are getting more frequent and I think it's time for this thread, an almost catch all for whatever is happening in your life that you want to share with the other users of this forum. Since we already have the threads for what you ate for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, what you are reading and forums for watching movies and TV that type of post should not go to this thread.

So to start off this thread:

For me I am slowly cleaning up my place, been doing it for the last 2 weeks or so and it might take more time to do since I am only doing this on the weekends.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: A slice of your life that you wish to share

I like the comments (and make plenty of them)...without them, those threads would be as dry as reading a menu.
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:06 AM
Ali`i

My Bowel Movements

Today I did one poop and two pees.
Old February 15th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Kumu

I hate this cold weather and snow!

Lovena
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Kumu

I have an article about me and my opinions on home stereo systems coming out in a magazine next month. Not as big as Auntie Lynn's, but still cool to me.

By the way, I really like this thread idea.

Last edited by acousticlady; February 15th, 2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added last sentence.
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
... that type of post should not go to this thread.
As perhaps indicated by Susie, in my opinion you attempt to restrict the posters too tightly to the topic that you feel is their appropriate subject. It's excessive and unecessary moderation. I don't think it would hurt the quality of the discourse to lighten up a little and let people be less inhibited by the on-topic restrictions. Sure, kill the trolls & spammers and chill out the foul-mouthed name-calling arguments, but otherwise leave the threads to wander whither they will.

I see HT as a group hanging out on the back lanai or at La Mariana, perhaps holding frosty beverages, and enjoying a lazy afternoon's discussion with no particular structure or objective. (Maybe a few people move off to the side occasionally for a more serious discussion to help each other out with a question or problem.) Imagine if every 20 minutes or so you felt obligated to tell the large group "But that subject shouldn't be talked about right here or right now. Let's all get back on topic." Perhaps after a few of those comments the crowd would move to a new talk-story location.

I say this from my own experience with posting & moderating on other boards. Of course you're doing the hard moderating work on this board, so you get the privilege of making the hard decisions. But since you opened the door and others seem to be going through it, that's my opinion. I won't bring it up again unless asked.
Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ali`i

I miss Seeking Penance. Where are you dude?

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ali`i

I agree with Nords and Susie while acknowledging that this particular thread has it's place on HT, too.
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
I have an article about me and my opinions on home stereo systems coming out in a magazine next month.
If it ends up available online, will you please share that with us?
Old February 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Ali`i

I'm in the throes of getting my guest wing ready for the IL's. They're coming
the 24th for THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!

While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK
visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you
they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and
always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do. My FIL gets up
exactly at 6:55 comes through the kitchen goes right through to the TV room turns on the Today show and sits there for 3 hours watching that and yelling to us what's on. He'll actually get up and shake the hell out of the orange juice and pour a giant glass with lots of ice and microwave chocolate frosted donuts making sure to get the icing on his hands and leave residue on the fridge door handles and anywhere else he can. He used to yell "BOB BOB, BOB BARKER!"
now it "DREW DREW DREW!" at 10 when the Today show is over and watch the Price is Right. The whole time he has his giant mac laptop on his lap playing the solitaire game "Burning Monkey" Eventually we go to lunch and shop all day, this goes on for THREE WEEKS. Shop everyday and eat out.
There is not enough vodka in the world for those THREE WEEKS.

They're such wonderful folks and great people but I just go berserk with them constantly with me all that time! There I feel better already! Off to
continue cleaning!

Oh, and every light, ceiling fan and radio are constantly on and I go around turning them all off if no one is in the room and they get irritated. I don't get the point of leaving everything on all the time. The kilowatt meter practically flies off the spindle when they visit. They claim to be "green" and
forced all that Al Gore books and movie on us yet they don't follow any of that at all. That's another thing, they expect all of us to like the same books, movies, political views and politicians and if we don't they get all hinky and surprised. The fact is the SIL's and us have nothing in common except them and never have. No one even gets excited about the idea of family holidays, vacations or get togethers as no one wants to do anything with each other even meals are an issue. O.K.! Enough! I'll stop for now. The Waltons we ain't! Although the MIL thinks in her mind we are and would like to be together. Thank goodness for living all the way out here. I love them exactly where they are in other states!

Last edited by leashlaws; February 15th, 2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add a rant
Old February 15th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Oh dear. I feel bad about your misery, but that was a great post, Leash.
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leashlaws View Post
I'm in the throes of getting my guest wing ready for the IL's. They're coming
the 24th for THREE WEEKS!!!!!!!

While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK
visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you
they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and
always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do. My FIL gets up
exactly at 6:55 comes through the kitchen goes right through to the TV room turns on the Today show and sits there for 3 hours watching that and yelling to us what's on. He'll actually get up and shake the hell out of the orange juice and pour a giant glass with lots of ice and microwave chocolate frosted donuts making sure to get the icing on his hands and leave residue on the fridge door handles and anywhere else he can. He used to yell "BOB BOB, BOB BARKER!"
now it "DREW DREW DREW!" at 10 when the Today show is over and watch the Price is Right. The whole time he has his giant mac laptop on his lap playing the solitaire game "Burning Monkey" Eventually we go to lunch and shop all day, this goes on for THREE WEEKS. Shop everyday and eat out.
There is not enough vodka in the world for those THREE WEEKS.

They're such wonderful folks and great people but I just go berserk with them constantly with me all that time! There I feel better already! Off to
continue cleaning!

Oh, and every light, ceiling fan and radio are constantly on and I go around turning them all off if no one is in the room and they get irritated. I don't get the point of leaving everything on all the time. The kilowatt meter practically flies off the spindle when they visit. They claim to be "green" and
forced all that Al Gore books and movie on us yet they don't follow any of that at all. That's another thing, they expect all of us to like the same books, movies, political views and politicians and if we don't they get all hinky and surprised. The fact is the SIL's and us have nothing in common except them and never have. No one even gets excited about the idea of family holidays, vacations or get togethers as no one wants to do anything with each other even meals are an issue. O.K.! Enough! I'll stop for now. The Waltons we ain't! Although the MIL thinks in her mind we are and would like to be together. Thank goodness for living all the way out here. I love them exactly where they are in other states!
eric and i aren't married yet but i can certainly understand the in-law thing. in laws take liberties that your actual family take but you can't "check" your in laws like you can your actual family without it causing some major conflict that wouldn't necessarily happen with your actual family.

my question is: would it be possible in the future to shorten their stay from three weeks to something more palatable?

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
While I love them more than life itself I cannot stand these THREE WEEK visits. It's just too damn long. They don't do anything on their own (mind you they're not elderly and unable to) or figure anything out for themselves and always have to eat 3 meals a day which I normally don't do.
Hurry and let them know immediately that they will have some extra "time for relaxation" this trip because you have some obligations that you will be keeping. While they are visiting, take some breaks for yourself by saying you have a volunteer project, or are meeting with a church study group, or with a keiki playtime group. Then you take a few 2 or 4 hour outings without them during their visit.
If you weren't spending 24/7 with them, you might enjoy their visit more. Take few breaks!
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ali`i

Thanks to all of your for your comments! So here's some more information.
The MIL has issues with her feet and she also is an over-packer. Now mind
you they keep clothes, shoes, coats, purses, you name it it's here in "their room" and they still travel with TWO SUITCASES EACH and carry-ons. She told us yesterday she packed TWO BOXES and sent them on FEDEX to arrive Weds.
What is in said boxes? Well everytime they come she sends a huge box of SHOES, no kidding. The other box (and they are always big and heavy) will have more clothes and things that won't fit in said suitcases.

Oh, and the eating. I have to cook for 6 in order to have any leftover for the husband's lunch and the FIL while not overweight at all eats like a horse hence the huge amount of food to cook. It's like cooking for a family of 6-8 instead of 4. And he won't eat a million things. Beef is what's for dinner and lunch. I have never seen anyone eat so many burgers and steaks without mooing after. Here's his idea of a salad. A whole bag of that iceberg lettuce mix piled atop a whole huge cucumber (so it can soak up the Italian dressing the only one he'll eat). It's positively white and unappetizing. If we order pizza he has to have his own with his "trinity" SGPO (sausage, green pepper and onion). He'll keep it in the box on his lap and open it gingerly looking around the room and slap it shut as he gets out a slice to hoover down. This goes on until the pizza is almost gone. Oh, and leftover pizza stays in the fridge until I have to throw it out as their schedule here does not permit the eating of "old food" as the MIL refers to leftovers. She will not eat them.
When they're at home she eats lunch out everyday and he eats said "old food" because he's at the computer all day with the TV on playing said solitaire game and forwarding silly newspaper articles and dumb jokes.

It is lucky I am required to do water exercise for my fibromyalgia so I need to go to the pool everyday - that will be my only break time and also on the days I have no water class I go and do laps. I used to do Pilates and the MIL
took that up one year to be able to go along! If my physical therapy continues during their visit that will be another break.

We are going to Maui to break up the time and I always have to tell the reservation agent NO CONNECTING ROOMS and they DON'T NEED TO BE TOGETHER OR NEAR EACH OTHER! One time we were next to each other and the MIL hung on the rail of the lanai and looked in our room yelling "Aloha!
What are you doing in there?!".........No joke!

I almost had to leave them a key as the day they arrive I have 2 appointments. That would also mean leaving the alarm code which they can't do at all, totally hapless. It's so simple kids can do it but they can't. They are relieved we'll be home when they arrive next Tuesday for THREE WEEKS!

Dog walks can be a time of relaxation too but when the MIL wants to come she doesn't like the hilly neighborhood "I'm a flatlander" so in true Al Gore fashion she drives and parks in a neighbor's yard to meet us & walk where it is flat.......no kidding!

They are such wonderful and loving people but it's funny to think of all the things they do when they are here! Did I say they're here for THREE WEEKS!?
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

omg...what have I done????
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Ali`i

Those inlaws sound like fun. Could you do us a webcam so we can watch?
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
Those inlaws sound like fun. Could you do us a webcam so we can watch?
Good idea! I can post one for them and one for the pigs in my yard!

So today is the day of arrival to start THREE WEEKS of their visit. Last night
apparently she was whining on the phone to my SIL about how all I do is swim and go to physical therapy and "now we'll have to find things to do on our
own with that going on." For heaven's sake, I'm not Michael Phelps, I go for a half hour of swimming, it takes 3 minutes to get there and about 5 to get back (traffic always heavier coming home) so that's about 45 minutes, If I have my water exercise class I'm back by 10 anyway. Since she can't get out of the house before noon or 1:00 I don't know how this affects her. She was apparently in one of her "poor me" martyr moods according to my SIL and it was a ridiculous conversation. And like it's a real joy to have to go to physical therapy due to a car accident, I'd rather not have to!

I am having chili for dinner as it's easy to do with all my appts. today so get the Bean-O out!

Did I mention that everything I have she copies? No joke. Shoes, purses, clothes (not always a good idea!), decor - down to redoing their bathrooms exactly like I did mine. Last year she went and bought a piece of jewelry
just like a piece I have and it's a very sentimental piece and I was irritated that she had to copy that. I wrote venting to my SIL about it and she snooped in our email and read about my anger. She came running into the
room hysterical about what a mistake it was to buy it and she would return it and there was no way she'd know my irritation if not for snooping. This time we now have a password required to read our computer pages!
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ali`i

Invite her to go swimming with you?
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
Invite her to go swimming with you?
It may very well be the ONLY TIME they are not with for THREE WEEKS!
She kind of asked (she never asks directly) about the pool and I told her well there's no shade, no tables, no bar () it is just a 50 meter pool with
everyone doing laps. She would hate it and complain the whole time.
It is really true that they are with me all the time. I have a pool here at the house if she wants to swim since she doesn't do laps, of course it's a bit cold right now but she did go in last year. Then you have to hear all about her hair and blah blah blah!

There is not enough vodka in the world......
Old February 24th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Then you have to hear all about her hair and blah blah blah!

There is not enough vodka in the world......
Now you know why people smoke POT. Lots of pot. Excuse me, I meant medical marijuana.

I feel your pain. Glad I don't have in-laws. My parents are bad enough.
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird View Post
Now you know why people smoke POT. Lots of pot. Excuse me, I meant medical marijuana.

I feel your pain. Glad I don't have in-laws. My parents are bad enough.
Oh, I certainly know why! I wish I was back in Montara right now eating pot butter on homemade scones like last November at our friend's house who does have MM.

So the computer says "Seven O' Clock" breaking into a game of "Burning Monkey" faster than you can say "Oh crap" on comes the TV loud enough to wake the dead and the TODAY show is on again, the 7th morning in a row. Five out of the last 7 days he has had a cheeseburger and only yesterday said "this is the only place the fries have been HOT!" He doesn't talk at meals just shoves the food in his mouth and makes sounds like a wildebeest eating, I'm starting to think he looks like one. At Steve Miller he got annoyed with as he called her "a wiggler" next to him so he left our seats and looked like Bob Uecker (sp?) way up in the top. Then he complained that people were climbing over him to other places. That I find hard to believe who'd want to go near an old sour ass like him.

She has had her fits of sniffling, slamming things around and the usual "FINE!" for no apparent reason. Sometimes we look at each other and say
"What they hell just happened?" This was going on before Steve Miller and we were hoping it would all end eventually. Yesterday I was really needing to get stuff done here like made dog food. So we had a "I'll just run to Long's and Walgreens unless you want to go to," NO I DON'T!!!!!!!!!!
So it was the kind of trip where she buys hundreds of hawaiian print gift bags, dozens of boxes and bags of Mauna Loa macadamia nuts and for some reason a plastic Maneki Neko in a little box. She cannot go a day without buying something SOMEWHERE, it's absurd.

When we eat dinner at home and I have to cook for 8 instead of 4 he just sits there shoving food in his mouth doesn't talk and never says thank you for a nice meal. The other night I was so not wanting to look at that I read the paper in front of my face while they all gaped at 24 on Monday. When I finished I just left the table and cleaned up a bit and then went in my room.
Supposedly when they visit the SIL's he goes on dog walks and all kinds of activities with everyone and apparently talks. So he must not like being in Hawaii with us - why make such a LONG trip for THREE WEEKS when it seems you don't have fun? Then again, frankly; I don't want him on my dog walks or going to the pool he's such an asshole that it would ruin my fun already. It's just too bizarre and we have TWO WEEKS left Thanks all for listening! There's more but I gotta get to the pool!
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ali`i

But, leashlaws, I thought you "...love them more than life itself...". I dunno, it sounds like your in-laws aren't all that loveable. Just an observation...
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
But, leashlaws, I thought you "...love them more than life itself...". I dunno, it sounds like your in-laws aren't all that loveable. Just an observation...
They can be quite loveable. We can choose our friends but not our family
and we must accept and deal with what we are dealt! I do love them but
love and like sometimes aren't mutually compatible! I appreciate your comment and appreciate your living through my ranting and raving!
You're always cool with your replies! Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
We can choose our friends but not our family
A hypothetical question.
Who gets the needed organ when both candidates are a match for a transplant, a friend or a relative?
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Kumu

I just want to throw out an observation or two. What if, the in-laws want to see their son so bad that they put up with the daughter in law in order to see him. If I were to visit my son and my daughter in law had a nasty attitude the whole time I was there, I might just not talk either. I might try to avoid things by watching TV and playing computer games. I'm just saying......... It goes both ways. Imagine having the feeling that you are not welcome in your own son's house - even if you don't say anything, I'm sure the attitude comes across.

I'm sorry, but your attitude bothers me leashlaws. Having had parents who are/were set in their ways, you learn to make compromises. In the scheme of things, who cares if all your FIL wants to eat is hamburgers and wants to watch the Today show. I can think of a whole lot of other things that are worse.