Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Kumu

Default Re: I'll be visiting from Feb 10-23, some questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansGTi View Post
what are you refering to about "Haleakala sunrise or set "??
If you got enough time on your hand try the sunrise, if cannot the sunset is also awesome.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
ah nice nice, I had not heard about that outdoor mall yet or even came about it online yet!!

I think we will def stop by that tavern, I love clams, my gf loves guacamole, so I think even our meal has been picked out already, haha

one thing though, that guacamole looks like it is sitting in some brownish sauce, whats up with that? or is that just the pic?
oops, should have said that in the bowl with the edamame guac is salsa. mala ocean tavern's website is here. Yelp.com reviews are here.

if you have time, check out big beach, which is past the super-chic hotels in wailea. if you like to sunbathe au naturel, go to the adjacent little beach (which, according to my maui friend, is actually called "small beach," and only tourists call "little beach,") which you reach by clambering over a rocky little hill on the right of big beach (right if you're facing the ocean).

if you're into beer, consider going to the maui brewery, which is up north of lahaina. they serve beer there that they don't sell anywhere else. my favorite is their coconut porter, but at the brewery, i got to enjoy their father damien abbey ale and milk of amnesia stout. their french dip and goat cheese burger were very good.

for cheap and good eats, i suggest las pinatas in kahului. we shared the fish "kitchen sink" burrito and were stuffed. the best part about this place is that it's relatively cheap (aforesaid burrito was about $9) and there is a plethora of homemade salsas.

if you're into wine, check out the tedeschi vineyards in ulupalakua. don't expect high quality grape wines, but go there for the history and to sample their pineapple splash (you can sample three wines for free, per person). the drive to ulupalakua is beautiful, but consider it only after you've done the drive to hana. oh, when driving hana highway, make sure to be aware if a line of cars is developing behind you. if so, please be considerate and pull over to the right to let them pass. some of them might be locals who aren't interested in a scenic drive, but actually have someplace to go.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
you NEED to do Haleakala!

Bundle up though as it is VERY cold.

if this doesn't convince you, I dunno what will

is that a pic you took your self?

cause thats damn nice, and if thats what we are going to see first hand then yeah I think we def need to go there!!
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

Quote:
is that a pic you took your self?

cause thats damn nice, and if thats what we are going to see first hand then yeah I think we def need to go there!!
yup, I have plenty more. I loved my time on Maui, and you would be doing yourself a disservice if you did not take the chance to witness first hand one of the most inspiring thing life can offer.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Luna

Send a message via Yahoo to drumorgan

Quote:
you NEED to do Haleakala!

Bundle up though as it is VERY cold.

This is my new desktop wallpaper. Thanks
Old January 29th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
[...]
That's spectacular, Tatt. I'm curious...the jagged horizon...is that more clouds or the Los Angeles skyline?!
Old February 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Keiki

ok, now you guys have given the names of places to visit and what not.

how about spots with some good food??
I really like trying lots of different foods, so anywhere that will have alot of different hawaiian foods would be great.

now I know, a lot of places will have hawaiian food, but I like GOOD food!! haha
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

On Oahu:
Chart house for pupus is a must(imo). Best pupus and sunset on the Harbor. God, I could go for some garlic chicken right now...

If you make it up country on the weekend, garlic shrimp and huli huli chicken from the roadside makes a great snack anytime.

for an upscale dining experience, either Stage at the Design center, or Marvo's.

For great Italian, cough*shameless plug*cough, Arancino Di Mare, at the ,arriott Waikiki or on beachwalk, well put together, clen, yummy food. the "owners" pizza is my fave, along with the gnocci.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Ali`i

As an outsider who nevetheless has worked there for many months on several occasions. You Can't go wrong in the International Market for food. It is basically cooked in front of you.
Oahu is a rock designed by Your God to cook on You will not go wrong.

The hospitality and service is second to none. If you fancy a drink and a snack ? Go to Kelly O'Neills on Lewars > Mention my name (I used to sing and play guitar there). I will be most surprised if they charge you.

Have a load of fun.

Cheers
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Ali`i

Wink Stairways, walkways and drive-ins....

Quote:
is the Pali lookout just another hike? a legal on compared to the "stairway"??
The pali Lookout is a turn-off at the crest of the Pali Highway, between Honolulu and the Windward side. Aka Nu`uanu Pali.

From Honolulu turn off just before the tunnels. From Kailua/Kaneohe, go through the tunnels and take the switchback.

Below the viewing area, the old Pali road (on winday days) has wind you can LEAN INTO! About a quarter mile down on the Old Pali Road is a small valley to the right with a short hike up to a very spiritual area, FWIW.... go with respect, if you go.

Also, this is where King Kamehameha finally conquered Oahu - pushed Kahekili's troops over the cliff, or something.

Also, I recommend at least half a day at the Bishop Museum, just off Kalihi Street. You won't regret it.

The trip up to Haleakala is almost as awesome as the summet. Watch out for the flightlessd nene goose, and enjoy the 'cowboy' environment.

Also, there's a Kundalini yoga retreat near Iao Needle, if you're into that.

I spent quite a few years in CT before coming back here. Greenwich, Stamford, Norwalk, Ansonia, New Haven, Middletown, Hartford and Glastonbury.... Where you from?

K
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.