Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should New Years fireworks be banned?
Yes, only professional displays should be allowed 13 50.00%
No, everyone should be allowed to use fireworks 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

It was louder this year in our area of the North Shore, but I'm sure nothing like what you all experience in the more populated areas.

My friend (an ED nurse) was driving home after her shift ended at 2400; drove slowly toward Ewa from Aiea due to thick smoke. Got pulled over by Honolulu's finest and checked that she was not drunk. She says it was due to driving slowly...not any weaving about. Oh, and she said they did treat quite a few fireworks-related injuries.
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Cool Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
we rent vacation rentals in Volcano Village where, if you're lucky, you're 1,000 yards from the nearest neighbor.
Did you happen to run into any (present or former ) HT members?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Ali`i

In addition to safety concerns, there is also the environmental factor that needs to be considered.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28514008

Apparently, air quality was better than the previous New Year. I'd be in favor of severely limiting fireworks, or even banning them altogether, in the interests of public health and safety, as well as for the environment.

Personally, I don't care for fireworks, I'd rather have the relatively quiet calm of the environment as it is. So I am a bit biased.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ali`i

Default And then there's this...

...as noted in the op-eds today - that war vets, especially those just back, have a real hard time with pops and explosions.

It's time those that can't seem to live without the bangs booms and pows grow up. There is no legitimate reason to continue with this foolishness.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Kumu

I noticed a few differences this year. For one, the illegal aerials were more spectacular than I've ever seen it. I figure some household s must have spent thousands. I also noticed that there were almost no fireworks on New Years Day, or any day after that (at least where I've been). The ambience in general for this holiday season was a bit more subdued. New Years was no exception. It seems everyone was on a tight budget, even if it mean blowing things up. When it was over, it was over.

I've never been against fireworks until this year, when a few a_s_oles kept setting off those cherry bombs outside my condo. Some were going off at 3 a.m. prior to New Years Eve. It's only a matter of time before someone really gets hurt walking by when it goes off on the sidewalk somewhere. At the very least, the bombs have to go. Period!
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Ali`i

KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
But how do you enforce the law???
We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
KEEP FIREWORKS!

BAN fireworks abuse.

Fireworks don't cause problems, PEOPLE MISUSING fireworks causes problems.
But how do you enforce the law???
We don't need new laws, we can't even enforce the ones we have.
I called HPD to ID the name/address of someone shooting illegal aerials... they never came. They don't care.
The only problem is you can't stop the abuse unless you get rid of the merchandise. I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.

Fact is, the authorities know when and where this stuff is, but it's big money. I mean, common! If dogs can sniff out bombs and tiny fragments of ice residue in a shipping container, they can find tons of aerials a mile away. It's big money not only for the "insiders", but for the economy as well. For example, I know for a fact that raids on many gambling houses are staged.
Old January 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ali`i

Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Guess where I'd suggest...
Old January 8th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Those that wish to irritate, and worse, those around them by setting off firecrackers and ariels, should have a special place from which to do it.

Camden, New Jersey?
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Iraq.
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

In his pants?
That's what she said.
Sorry, just getting ready for an episode of The Office.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to integlspwr Send a message via Yahoo to integlspwr

not sure how i can vote, but i dont want it to be banned. lol
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ali`i

If you are talking about the poll that went with this thread that poll has been closed for quite some time now. You still can reply to this thread with your opinion on the subject if you like but be advised that this thread or the poll has no bearing on the real world.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Question Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
I think the only effective compromise would be to re-legalize some of the aerial stuff, but ban the bombs and bigger aerial displays, and enforce the damn law! That way, you'll satisfy the masses and minimize the danger. To me, this won't make everyone happy, but it's a compromise.
Interesting proposal. So how would authorities differentiate between the different categories of “legal” and “illegal” fireworks? Can you expand on these “bombs” that proved to be such a nuisance to you? i.e. Were they homemade or store-bought?

I recognize that fireworks opponents have legitimate gripes, but I don’t understand why more of the “anti” crowd don’t just do what Ryan did: take an off-island getaway for the night.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
Interesting proposal. So how would authorities differentiate between the different categories of “legal” and “illegal” fireworks? Can you expand on these “bombs” that proved to be such a nuisance to you? i.e. Were they homemade or store-bought?

I recognize that fireworks opponents have legitimate gripes, but I don’t understand why more of the “anti” crowd don’t just do what Ryan did: take an off-island getaway for the night.
These bombs are the super loud aerials that set off car alarms blocks away. I think I know most of us know what I'm talking about. Somehow, it seems people dismantle the stuff to get individual "cherry bombs" and set em off on the ground somewhere. Can't miss those. The corrupt law enforcement officials working down at the docks can at least intercept those. They're not just a nuisance to me, but are a disturbance to everyone and every pet. Heck, I bet the cockroaches are organizing a protest!

Also, if you wanna limit the air pollution, they gotta ban dem damn morning glories. They emit more smoke than the Puu o'o vent. Hope I said that right.
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
[...]
Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children. They may not resent having to do that but I resent it for them! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind the NYE fireworks but I really don't feel people should be forced into a position of spending a fair chunk of change (which so many can't afford) to travel to protect their health. That said...I have no answers to the fireworks situation and I do know the PZ family enjoys their time on the BI.
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Ryan (and Mrs. Ryan!) shouldn't be forced from their home in order to protect the health of their children. They may not resent having to do that but I resent it for them! As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't mind the NYE fireworks but I really don't feel people should be forced into a position of spending a fair chunk of change (which so many can't afford) to travel to protect their health. That said...I have no answers to the fireworks situation and I do know the PZ family enjoys their time on the BI.
I agree. Why should anybody be driven out of their home because their neighbor has no consideration for their neighbors?

My next door neighbor moved in (related to high police official) and the first New Years they set of some massive explosions. The charge that launched the bomb was louder than any other fireworks in the area. The bomb itself rattled windows all over the neighbor hood.

My wife spent that time in bed with the pillows over her head crying because of the noise.

Talk to them? They were so drunk I don’t think I could have said anything to make them stop. Also I was a little afraid they might become violent.

Call the police? What officer is going to do anything about the bosses relatives?

Fortunately the main guy behind that moved out, but the other family members continue with smaller but still illegal fireworks. Still a nuisance but a little more tolerable.

My solution … When you buy fire works you don’t get to take them home. They are held at a secure location. You then go to the designated park where you are given your fireworks only when it is legal to shoot them off. You must burn them at the park and if any are left afterwards you lose them.

Burning fire works anyplace other than the designated parks would be illegal and it would also be easier to police.

If that does not work then ban them altogether.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Luna

The whole illegal aerial things will still be there if there is buyers, there will be sellers. supply and demand basically.

if people want to know how aerials are brought into the state, easy. The guys that bring em in are the people whit pyro technician license. They can buy these aerials since they are licensed to do shows etc. When you bring them in, you need a space that as adequate storage which they have. basically, pryo guy tells vendor, i am doing NYE show, i need alot of aeerials. So then vendor sells to license pyro guy, pyro guy then has his group of sellers that makes these lists and sells them on the black market.

probally the people on your block with the most illegal fireworks will most likely be HPD or hpd related along with people that have access to these fireworks lists.. I herd of a few HPD going in and meeting up the sellers and buying illegal fireworks in uniform for personal use.

They should honestly band those foundtains and morning glorys, those are the WORST ever. Smoke Makers we call them.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Ali`i

To effectively ban the aerials, we need to understand how they are getting in and then craft laws that specifically target that abuse and follow it with enforcement.

However, it might be about as effective as the laws on scrap copper. They crafted laws, followed it with enforcement, and I don't think the problem went away until the price fell.
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
To effectively ban the aerials, we need to understand how they are getting in and then craft laws that specifically target that abuse and follow it with enforcement.
Lack of enforcement becomes a problem itself. Such as is discussed on the looooonng HT thread about the no smoking law. For thought, is a law with no enforcement worse than no law at all?
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
sansei

Unhappy Re: Ban New Years fireworks?

hi this is sansei and since i once voted,i'd still say no,dont ban firework's is this is a tradition and it'll help our economy and without this,they would have to think of another way to help celebrate new year's so i'd say no.

Well thank's for your time
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

On KITV4 Web Site
http://www.kitv.com/news/18474981/de...s=hon&psp=news

HPD Chief Wants Total Fireworks Ban For Oahu
Correa Says Time Right For Ban Despite Lawmakers Previous Decisions

"HONOLULU -- Honolulu's police chief on Tuesday renewed a push for a complete ban on fireworks on Oahu.

Chief Boisse Correa made his case after many illegal aerials rocketed over the island on another New Year's Eve.

A similar push for a ban at the state Legislature eight years ago came close to passing. Correa said he thinks now is the right time.

"We've had a lot more complaints by the community by different groups involving animals, mentally ill, mentally challenged individuals," Correa said.

The chief said he feels things have reached a threshold and that enough is enough."

Ban New Years Fireworks? I look forward to it!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Ali`i

The HPD seems to be partially to blame for the matters.
They say they can't effectively control the illegal participants, (some of whom are HPD officers...), but I find this impossible to believe. I don't think they want to.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Luna

Quote:
The HPD seems to be partially to blame for the matters.
They say they can't effectively control the illegal participants, (some of whom are HPD officers...), but I find this impossible to believe. I don't think they want to.
Cash is KING!

Ever wonder why the Ice problem is soo bad in Hawaii and it never seems to get cleaned up?

Not all HPD is bad, there are a few good people. I too wanted to become HPD and got fairly far in the process but after finding out some stuffs, I didn't want to.
Old January 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Ali`i

Yeah, I'm not a fan of HPD, even tho there are some good officers. It just seems to be corrupt, and there's certainly plenty of bad attitude, to say the least.

I can't imagine Boise's statements in the paper today about outlawing the whole fireworks thing is going to have any effect if they can't even manage the manini stuff happening right under their noses.