Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Ali`i

Default "Life on Mars" on ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
My favorite new TV show "Life on Mars" which also airs on ABC avoided cancellation. Last night's episode ended with a cliffhanger, and starting on January 28, the show moves to a new day.... Wednesdays (instead of Thursdays) behind the return of "Lost".

Hopefully "Lost" audiences stick around to catch this time travel cop show, once it starts re-airing in January.
In a way this is sort of good news, ABC scheduled this series at the same time CBS scheduled Eleventh Hour or CBS scheduled it the same time ABC did theirs. In any event both series are in the science fiction genre and based on previous BBC series.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Kumu

Default Re: "Life on Mars" on ABC

I think "Life on Mars" is one of the best new shows from the fall '08 season. It sort of has a similar feel to last year's "Journeyman" on NBC (which, much to my disappointment, was canceled), but I think "Life on Mars" is a little better.

Any other fans here?
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zff View Post
Any other fans here?
Can't wait for the show to return.

I think mainstream get this show over Journeyman ... which as a genre fan like myself also like and was disappointed at NBC for canceling it.

Funny that we're importing more shows from the UK. Including LoM we got the Eleventh Hour and The Office.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old December 20th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Kanaka

I agree with all of you this is definitely one of the best new shows this season. I hope that ABC will let it develop an audience and hopefully a second season. I am still pissed that they have canned Pushing Daisies and Dirty Sexy Money.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ali`i

Saw last night's epsiode which is the first time I have seen this series so I got the following questions:
  1. Tyler is the one who is stuck in 1973, a few times in the episode he was referred to as the Space Man. Why is that?
  2. There were 2 insect like robots in the episode, I take it only he sees it and this not the first time it has happened?
  3. So Tyler is basically stuck in 1973, he does not bounce between back then and now during the series?

Was also interesting that Tyler was making out with the social worker who is actually his boss's daughter.
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM

1. Tyler somehow was thrown into 1973 from the year 2008 after he was hit by a car in present day (2008) NYC.

2. In previous episodes he has met his Mom, his Dad and himself in 1973. Kind of bizarre.

3. He sees flashes from the present day like the tiny robots, a TV set that shows him in the hospital, his girlfriend in the year 2008 on the TV set, other reminders.... very briefly, usually vague.... so far unexplainable. He wants to get back to his own time.

4. So far he has not jumped back to present day. He has only remained in 1973.

5. He knows a lot about the future but of course people in 1973 don't believe him. Also a lot of the police methodolgy is quaint for him... no DNA testing for evidence for example...

6. I like the music in this show. Lots of great oldies from the day.

I hope "Life on Mars" finds an audience after "LOST". It's a good TV show that ABC should give a chance to grow and find an audience....
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Saw last night's epsiode which is the first time I have seen this series so I got the following questions:
  1. Tyler is the one who is stuck in 1973, a few times in the episode he was referred to as the Space Man. Why is that?
  2. There were 2 insect like robots in the episode, I take it only he sees it and this not the first time it has happened?
  3. So Tyler is basically stuck in 1973, he does not bounce between back then and now during the series?

Was also interesting that Tyler was making out with the social worker who is actually his boss's daughter.
You might benefit from watching the previous 7 episodes on abc.com. High quality and if you have HD are available. I really like this show and think at least episode one would answer some questions for you.
Old January 30th, 2009, 03:44 AM
Ali`i

I very much like this show too, as well as the BBC original.

Tyler does occasionally see vague robots that skitter away.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Ali`i

Not a bad show. Reminds me of a cop version of Buck Rogers in reverse, dont ask me why I think this.

How old was Tyler in 1973?

Heard "Whiskey in a Jar" playing by Thin Lizzy the other day, I gather this show will have the music replaced when its rerun or put on DVD.

Aj
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaukura View Post
You might benefit from watching the previous 7 episodes on abc.com. High quality and if you have HD are available. I really like this show and think at least episode one would answer some questions for you.
Thanks for the tip. I watched it after Lost also. I've been wanting to catch it but never ran across it at the right time. I had the same questions as Helen. I also want to know if he is supposed to be physically back in time or is he inhabiting someone's body? Or does he just think he's in 1973? Curious minds want to know........
Old January 30th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Ali`i

Tyler doesn't know. He could be physically back in time, or hallucinating, or in limbo, or the subject of some kind of bizarre experiment. There are clues for all scenarios.

It's a good follow for "Lost."

Killer soundtrack.
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:10 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Tyler is the one who is stuck in 1973, a few times in the episode he was referred to as the Space Man. Why is that?
This show might be making 1973 references. There was a Bill "Spaceman" Lee who was a popular baseball player. But, it was probably referring to the Apollo missions.
Old January 31st, 2009, 05:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

1. Tyler sometime let slips things about the future and is serious about it, that the guys at Precinct 125 thinks he's "spaced out." Besides, "spaceman" is better and have shorter syllables than "futureman" or "time-traveler."

2. Nope, the robot which resembles slightly to the mars rover, have appeared in earlier episodes, including the pilot/premiere.

3. He hasn't bounced back because in 2008 he's supposedly in a coma after being hit by a car. So things he may see or hear while in 1973 may have seeped into from present time. Something about comatose patients can pick up things while in such a state. There was this one time when he saw what he thought was a 70's soap program on TV, but really a scene where his present-time GF broke up with him and have to move on with her life.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Ali`i

Tonight's episode made a reference to UFO's and a nod to the X-Files TV series.
Old February 12th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Kumu

It did? Inconceivable!

Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Ali`i

Just saw a tape of 02/18's episode where Sam meets someone who claims from 2009 and this episode has a good number of Wizard of Oz references to it.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Ali`i

ABC has just canceled the series, hopefully a DVD release will come about as I've missed far too many episodes.

Aj
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Ali`i

Last night's episode had Sam and Annie going undercover. Sam used Tom Cruise as his cover name and used the various Tom Cruise movie titles when he was talking to other people.
Old March 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Ali`i

This coming Wednesday will be this series finale. Will be interesting how it ends.
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Kumu

Make sure to watch it. Just got over here. Didn't see that coming.......
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Ali`i

Well, they certainly ended the series with a big twist! did anyone see that coming? I was completely surprised but after a couple of minutes - it made perfect sense.

Great ending!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:11 AM
Ali`i

It does explain as to why the main characters for the most part were wearing the same clothes during the series run.

Too bad they didn't say what the other crew member's experiences were (other than Ray's) during the time Sam was under his.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:22 AM
Ali`i

Hey, fodder for a couple or three more series!

And how about that comment about President Obama, and her father being really sick, and she went to Chicago to see him.

Last edited by Kimo; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:24 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:25 AM

Highly unlikely for another series since this one was cut short because of low ratings... but heh... never saw that ending coming. I thought they were just going to drop it with Sam staying with Annie in 1973.... but noooooo.... Life on Mars....heh... what a twist!
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Ali`i

They could do it on another network or have it as a mini-series for the Christmas or Summer breaks. But the catch would be having the same core cast in another genre or do the story of them on Mars.

But I was kind of wondering why certain characters in Tyler's world made references to 2008 or 2009 instead of 2035.

But at least the title of series made some kind of sense instead of using "Life in 1973".