Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: President Barack Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
So step up Dems, put your money where your mouth is ...
I already do, and have for years. Remember that economic stimulus check? I received $600. Within a month, I turned around and gave $1200 more to various charitable organizations - on top of the money that I normally donate from year to year. And I am certain that I make a lot less money than you do, Tim; remember, I was also unemployed for six months last year, and was looking at the possibility of being so again not too long ago.

I believe I have a responsibility to share my limited "wealth" during my time on this world; if my needs are covered, and those of my family, as well as a reasonable amount of "wants" (something I've noticed has been decreasing in the past decade), plus a little bit put aside for the future - then I share the remainder.

But I don't expect that to resonate with your personal philosophies.
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Obama's election is proof that anybody can make it. No crutches needed.
Uhhhhh, you didn't! Maybe your message didn't play any better then, than it does here on HT.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Ali`i

Steve Case and Pierre Omidyar will no longer be the most prominent Punahou School alumni! I bet everyone will want to go there now!
Old November 5th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Exclamation Re: President Barack Obama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
are you that freaking blind and lemming"ific" that you can so easily blame the recent failures on GW?

Please do me a favor, especially you Buzz (only b/c you're the most recent poster) and understand why the US is where it is today.

Think about NAFTA and Clinton's bringing to fruit the laissez faire lending standards. These planted the seeds to our economic collapse. Or we can sit around and blame Bush because we are unintelligent enough to not see the forest through the trees.
Stephen, on the same token, you have the blinders on as well. Your criticism of Clinton is justified, but the Iraq War is a big part of the reason we are in this mess as well. What have we gained by attacking Iraq? Divide and conquer? Make the U.S. the most hated nation in the world? $700 billion tab and counting?

Realize that as has pointed out many times on HT, Clinton brought our national deficit and debt down. Bush ran it up. How do you justify that? Your earlier assessment that neither Obama nor McCain could solve our problems is probably true. But at least Obama gives us hope. That’s a good place to start. In my “utopian” world, Ron Paul would be president, but today, I stand behind my Punahou boy and Commander-in-chief-elect.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Ali`i

How much is the program guide of the Hawaii HS Basketball Tournament worth during Punahou's championship year with Obama?
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Ali`i

Italian Prime Minister Burlesconi sent a congratulatory message to President elect Obama. In it he said:

"I will try to help relations between Russia and the United States where a new generation has come to power, and I don't see problems for Medvedev to establish good relations with Obama who is also handsome, young and suntanned,"

Very suntanned! I hope that Obama sees the humor in this and can have a good laugh. I think the PM was serious, no disrespect intended!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
[...] Obama who is also handsome, young and suntanned,"

Very suntanned! [...]
Remnants of his childhood in Hawaii, I s'pose!!! Doesn't everyone who grows up or lives in Hawaii have a suntan? That's hysterical and I can't imagine Obama not getting a good laugh out of it!

And the "handsome, young" part? Oooooowheeee, baby! You betcha!
Old November 6th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Keiki

My husband and I are stationed in Virginia. We were one of the big states that would determine if there would be victory for Obama. Virginia is always republican but there are a lot of african americans here so it switched the state's party to democrat. I am very glad the Obama is president. This country needs change.
Old November 7th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Ali`i

Italian leader: Obama 'handsome and even tanned'

The Obama administration transitional website It barely took a day for this site to appear!
Old November 7th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Ali`i

Obama outlines changes planned in regards to Prez and VP positions
Old November 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
No doubt the site was already designed and ready to go.
Old November 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ali`i

Someone has already reserved the domain name "ImpeachObama" as well as "ImpeachPalin" (I dunno if the same person reserved both or not *g*)
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Ali`i

Default Show your pride, with a sticker!

http://pol.moveon.org/shepstickers
1 for free, X $ for more.
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Kia`aina

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barackobamadotcom/

I apologize if it's been posted before. The election night photos are neat to look at.
Old November 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnayalohaangel View Post
My husband and I are stationed in Virginia. We were one of the big states that would determine if there would be victory for Obama. Virginia is always republican but there are a lot of african americans here so it switched the state's party to democrat. I am very glad the Obama is president. This country needs change.
Actually, not to diminish the African-American vote in Va., but I think it was the DC bedroom communities in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties which flipped Virginia (Loudoun County a bedroom community? Man! When I lived in Annandale in Fairfax County Loudoun was all horse country!).

Virginia also now has two Democratic Senators, as Mark Warner (former Gov. term-limited to one term) was elected to the retiring Republican warhorse John Warner's seat.

Virginia looks much nicer when it's blue.
Old November 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
How much is the program guide of the Hawaii HS Basketball Tournament worth during Punahou's championship year with Obama?
[FONT="Verdana"]Good question. I checked my stash of sports memorabilia and have found that the 1979 tourney is one of those I DO NOT have. AUWE![/FONT]
Old November 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Ali`i

Obama's Nov 7 News conference, several youtube links
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Ali`i

Obama: 50 Facts
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Ali`i

Obama is already sitting down with an unpopular, aggressive world leader without preconditions

Obama Planning U.S. Trials for Guantanamo Detainees
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Ali`i

Hawaii's presence on the national political scene has never been stronger than it is now. Hawaii-born Barack Obama is now the president-elect. Sen. Dan Inouye is now the chair of the powerful Appropriations Committee.

But it may get stronger still. McKinley HS grad Tammy Duckworth (currently the Illinois Director of Veterans Affairs) has been mentioned as a possible candidate for the US Senate to take over President Obama's former seat. Duckworth (who made a joint appearance with Obama at a Veterans Day wreath-laying ceremony in Chicago) has also been mentioned as a candidate for a cabinet position as Secretary of Veterans Affairs. Either way, it puts yet another person with Hawaii-ties on the national political stage.
Old November 14th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Ali`i

And what are those cited with marketing and advancing tourism and small business growth doing with this windfall?
Nothing that I've seen, nor have they ever seem to have done much except bring home nice paychecks and set up a free ride for more sky blotting hotels where they're not needed or wanted.
Old November 15th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Ali`i

Obama's diplomatic victory; How agreeing to talks without preconditions destroys Iranian hardliner's propaganda
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Ali`i

Obama says, during the 60 Minutes interview, that he supports a college football playoff, and will "throw his weight around" to help make it happen.

That's good.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Kumu

There's now talk about Obama being staunchly anti-gun.

A lot of gun enthusiasts are in a panic-buy mode, fearing that Obama will take their guns away. So they're buying all the guns they can get.

Some friends who own guns and are members of the NRA believe that Obama is going to reverse the Supreme Court decision regarding the Second Amendment. And they're looking at getting their guns right away.

I'm a gun owner and figure it this way: If the Federal Government decides to take away everyone's guns, then buying them now makes no sense. They'll know who bought guns and make them give them up. At the end you'll be out a bunch of money and lose your guns.

And if the Federal Government doesn't take away all the guns, and you're truly concerned about home defense, wouldn't it make more sense to buy one or two guns and LOTS of ammunition?

What these people forget is that the president can't just declare an edict and make something like that happen. It has to go through Congress and the Senate. And even then it can be challenged by the Judiciary.

Besides, the president elect has a lot more on his mind than domestic gun ownership issues.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Obama says, during the 60 Minutes interview, [...]
Dayam...I knew nothing about tonight's 60 Minutes interview until TK's post. Fortunately the entire interview is HERE, broken up into 3 links.