Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Kanaka

Default How to best battle the roaches

Being new to Hawaii I would like to hear some tips/tricks for doing battle with the roaches.

Our apartment has them by the bunches. Our dishwasher looks unusable, roaches have made quite a home inside. Luckily this is a temporary apartment for only a few months.

So my questions are
1) How do you keep them out of your appliances such as your toaster?
2) How do you keep them out of electronic equipment, receiver, ps3 etc
3) Are all the little black dots they leave around eggs or waste? (Sorry about the gross factor here) Not sure I want to know.

We are keeping all our food in sealed containers and we placed traps and poisons all around the kitchen.

These aren't the B52's just the little guys so far.

Anyway any tips would be helpful.
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Kumu

Default Re: How to best battle the roaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperado View Post
Being new to Hawaii I would like to hear some tips/tricks for doing battle with the roaches.

Our apartment has them by the bunches. Our dishwasher looks unusable, roaches have made quite a home inside. Luckily this is a temporary apartment for only a few months.

So my questions are
1) How do you keep them out of your appliances such as your toaster?
2) How do you keep them out of electronic equipment, receiver, ps3 etc
3) Are all the little black dots they leave around eggs or waste? (Sorry about the gross factor here) Not sure I want to know.

We are keeping all our food in sealed containers and we placed traps and poisons all around the kitchen.

These aren't the B52's just the little guys so far.

Anyway any tips would be helpful.
LOL......welcome to hawaii!!!! I use lemon pledge to spray the little chingamathings..it leaves a lemony smell......i think the tiny black chingamathingys are the eggs or little turds....not sure
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Ali`i

hahaha! if you have food, you will have roaches. This is the tropics - roaches happen. But, keeping food in sealed containers and using the roach traps will help. Just make sure you don't leave crumbs on the counter or open food and you should be able to control them.

The other method is a rubber slippah - works great!
Old October 28th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Ali`i

You can use Trap-a-Roach, they come 5 traps to box and deploy them around the place. And yeah don't leave any food uncovered.

You can use a bug bomb to kill them but you need to turn off your gas stove and vacant the place (you and your dogs) for around 4 to 8 hours or so.
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Ali`i

The little black specs are poop, I believe. The egg cases are roughly the size of puffed rice and look like this:

Boric acid seems to be the most recommended treatment. It's applied as a fine powder. The roaches walk over it and it sticks to their legs. When they clean themselves, they ingest it. It dehydrates them or something. Basically gives them constipation.

Here's a useful guide from the University of Kentucky.

If you're the vengeful type, you can get a Hoy Hoy brand roach trap, common in Hawaii (ours are colored black):

It's basically a non-toxic sticky pad thing. The roaches get stuck and slowly starve to death. You can watch them struggling and get themselves more stuck.

Not the way to go if you're squeamish or Buddhist.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Ali`i

"Luckily this is a temporary apartment for only a few months"

Hahahaha! Poor you....or do you mean that you'll only be in Hawaii for a few months?

PS Boric acid.
Old October 28th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Kia`aina

somebody recommended soapy water on this board. It works very very well. The problem is, that if you consistently use it on your floor, the floor becomes slippery over time if you let it build up.

That is one thing since I've been in Hawaii that I have never used, and that is an oven. I know they are in there and I just cannot think of the idea of roasting them along with my food. so no oven use for me. evah.
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaukura View Post
somebody recommended soapy water on this board. It works very very well. The problem is, that if you consistently use it on your floor, the floor becomes slippery over time if you let it build up.

That is one thing since I've been in Hawaii that I have never used, and that is an oven. I know they are in there and I just cannot think of the idea of roasting them along with my food. so no oven use for me. evah.
No worry...the roaches will just take a walk while the oven is on, and come back later for the crumbs and the drips.
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Ali`i

Roaches, ants, and sand in your crack. If you plan on staying here, you better get used to all three.

Or, just start killing each one that you see, and eventually you will kill EVERY SINGLE ROACH in the state. Thanks for your help.

A meticulous kitchen helps, but there is no cure.
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Ali`i

This is funny! I remember having the same questions when I first got here, cuz we never had bugs (except black widows) in California!

I agree, boric acid works! Sprinkle a little across your windowsills, behind the refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, behind your entertainment center, behind your computer desk, behind bookcases, and in the back of those under-sink cabinets. Then get a can of Raid Max and spray it directly on the perimiters of all windows, doors, baseboards, and along cracks. I spray it along the bottom of the doorjambs on my car, too. You'll also want some Terro ant baits, cuz ants will likely be visiting you next.

Also, search here on HT for more tips and info and some crazy bug stories.

Or get a chicken. They love to eat bugs.
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Ali`i

We have always had good results with the Combat large roach poison thingies...sometimes go months without seeing any bugs at all. Change 'em every 6-8 months. Box of 8 on sale @ Longs for appx 5.98 every now and then.
(house, not an apartment)
Old October 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ali`i

Here's a link to our other HT roach discussion.

Also, be sure you always cap your toothpaste. Roaches and ants love to feast on it

Last edited by turtlegirl; October 28th, 2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 28th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Ali`i

My husband told me not to shoo away the geckos, as they like to eat the bugs (doubt they eat roaches). We have LOTS of geckos, and it's a little strange sharing house space with them. Do they really help with bug patrol?
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
My husband told me not to shoo away the geckos, as they like to eat the bugs (doubt they eat roaches). We have LOTS of geckos, and it's a little strange sharing house space with them. Do they really help with bug patrol?
Geckos are really good at keeping the roach population to a minimum (only the little roaches, not the big B-52s). Whenever I had a roach problem, I welcomed their presence. The only problem is they leave their poop around, and they do have a tendency to "chirp" a lot.
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Kanaka

Thanks for all the tips. What do folks do about their toaster? I am not sure I even want one if it will become a roach condo.

I will learn to live/deal with them but best to get tips from the experts. I would have replied sooner but too busy and also just enjoying my new like in Hawaii. Looking forward to the next forum get together so I can meet some of the hawaii threads ohana.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Kia`aina

I unplugged my dell laptop charger the other day from the outlet in my room, and what do I find? a bunch of black stuff (eggs I asssume) and 2 baby roaches nexted inside the area where the laptop charger meets the plug in.

I had read that roaches love warm electrical places, so be aware of that.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:38 PM
Haumana

Between the chickens outside my house, the geckos inside of my house, and my two inside cats that love to kill roaches I don't have much of a roach problem.

But I do have a problem with ants.
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
Ali`i

"But I do have a problem with ants"

Boric acid
Old October 31st, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ali`i

I'd forget about the toaster entirely, unless you're reeeally addicted to having toast. Clean it out really well, then store it until its needed. It will likely become a roach motel ! Sorry!
Old October 31st, 2008, 02:43 PM
Keiki

This may sound stupid, this worked great for us back on the mainland. Drill a small hole in the wall between all the studs up by the ceiling (put in small plugs when finished, that can be removed over and over) and shoot the Boric Acid into the walls. They were gone in a few days.
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Kumu

Buy one of those covers for your toaster, The one with the zipper works. Rubbers slippas good too!, especially for the b-52`s. Those buggas are on a mission!
Old November 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM
Ali`i

Buy a lot of HoyHoyTrapARoach. Like, 5 packs of 5. Put out all 25 traps (it will cost you about $20, but be worth it). After about a week, you'll see a major reduction in cockroaches. As roaches get stuck in the traps, toss the traps away - the dead roach bodies are a source of asthma problems. Replace dirty traps with new traps. Don't let up. Put the traps wherever you see the roaches. If none are caught at a particular location in a week, move the trap to somewhere else. On kitchen counters, under kitchen sinks, under bathroom sinks, under the stove, alongside the refridgerator, on the bathroom counter by toothbrushes. Wherever there is water, or a drain (roaches come up through the drains).
Keep at it.
Old November 4th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ali`i

Unhappy Re: How to best battle the ANTS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfoxx View Post
Between the chickens outside my house, the geckos inside of my house, and my two inside cats that love to kill roaches I don't have much of a roach problem.

But I do have a problem with ants.
"DEAD FAST" will stop them if you draw the chalk across their trails, but I don't (and the state doesn't) know how to eradicate them.

Lately I mix light tuna in water with liquid PIC and liquid TERRO. They eat it, but it's not helping eradication efforts.

I think we need a separate thread just to deal with these ants! (If you call the C&C, they're "Glaber" ants.)
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Last edited by Kaonohi; November 4th, 2008 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old November 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Ali`i

Red face Re: How to best battle the roaches

I managed to eliminate the little brown German cockaroaches using Dead Fast. I got it to control the ants, which it does, in areas, or blocks them for awhile, anyway. But it devastates the small roaches.

Follow the instructions: Draw a chalkmark "X" on the bottom of each drawer in tour house and they will be gone. (In my experience).

Glaber (little black ants) will go through $100 worth of Dead Fast and keep coming. You can keep them out of certain areas (by making a perimeter) but I haven't been able to eliminate them.

Good luck.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Ali`i

I had my first B-52 experience tonight. Jason and I had just had a "discussion" (we don't fight, we discuss ) and I was getting something out of one of our spare rooms when I saw him. The nasty thing was on his back with legs curled up, so I thought he was dead. Jason was getting the trash together and I had an empty toliet paper tube from our bathroom. Since I was still irritated and was all, "I'm gonna do this myself," I bravely approached it and poked him with the tube. He started flailing around, so I scooped him up really fast with the tube, dumped him in the trash bag, and tied it up. Whew! He was stuck to the floor. Jason said it was the roach bait.

At least he wasn't in OUR room....although I supposed it's just a matter of time. Now if those stupid ants would just quit biting me...