Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old June 27th, 2006, 03:50 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Pizza thread...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
I searched for a previous thread on this... sorry if I'm searching in the wrong place or something......couldn't find one....

However... who do you think has Hawaii's best pizza?
The only dedicated thread I could find on HT was Pizza?, started by Helen. Perhaps Admin should rename this thread "Hawaii's Best Pizza"?

Between the "big three", Pizza Hut is still my favorite.

As much as I love to shop at Costco, their concession stand Pizza ranks poorly on my list, mainly because of the "spongey" crust texture.

Still, they redeemed themselves in the frozen section when they recently brought in this Sicilian Chicken Pizza. Awesome!

I was very impressed with our order at Buca Di Beppo. It has that true hearth oven baked flavor and the sauce has a home-made flavor to it. Nice.
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:59 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Pizza thread...?

I love Hot Pocket Pizza! Cheap, easy and onolicious!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Exclamation Re: Pizza?

Threads merged. Be sure to search before posting a new topic. But if you do end up starting a new thread, it's not neccessary to make a whole production out of starting it. Mahalo!
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Pizza?

Come to find out that Sam's Club is no longer sells the Buffalo Chicken pizza. And the South King/Keeaumoku Street location of Taco Bell/Pizza Hut closed last week.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Our family went through a Hot Pocket phase, buying 'em in huge quantities and stocking up our freezer... but at some point, a switch was thrown and we couldn't stomach 'em any more. Ended up tossing a bunch when they basically got freezer burnt into unrecognizable oblivion. They were tasty, but they also tasted exactly what "bad for you" must taste like, you know?

My kids have taken a liking to the Sbarro's pizza in Mililani Town Center. I think I still like Boston's best, but I haven't had one since we moved out of town. I confess to eating Costco's by-the-slize most often, but that's because of the price, not taste.

Among the basic delivery options, we're a Papa John's family. We keep trying to give Pizza Hut another chance, but it seems they invest more money into the "gimmick pizza of the week" than the quality of their basic product. I don't care if the crust is twisted, filled with three cheeses, topped with cinnamon, plays music when hot and comes apart into special shapes that you can snap together to build a robot, you know? Just give me a pizza and a small tub of garlic butter, and I'm happy.

Last edited by pzarquon; June 27th, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
Come to find out that Sam's Club is no longer sells the Buffalo Chicken pizza. And the South King/Keeaumoku Street location of Taco Bell/Pizza Hut closed last week.
Please tell me....what was on that Buffalo Chicken pizza? I'd like to try and duplicate it.
Old June 27th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Ali`i

One of the most interesting and best tasting pizzas I've had in awhile is a chicken alfredo with olives. I don't particularly care for pizza sauce and normally will order a pizza margherita (mozarella cheese only, no pizza sauce, with fresh tomatoes and basil), but this chicken alfredo pizza sounded interesting, so I ordered it. It was exactly as advertised: pieces of chicken covered with alfredo sauce and black olives and lotsa cheese on top. I thought it was going to be a personal size pizza but what came to the table was a 16" one (for $14.95). I could only eat 3 slices and the rest unfortunately had to go into the dumpster because we were on a 900-mile road trip...

Miulang
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
Please tell me....what was on that Buffalo Chicken pizza? I'd like to try and duplicate it.
Meat was spicer, in chunks of red nodules. No tomato sauce, mostly was a white cream or cheese sauce to it.
Old June 27th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Luna

I tried Mama's Island Pizza in Kailua a few months back, and I'm hooked! I'm not a huge fan of pizza, but this is some of the best I've ever had. The ingredients are really fresh and they put plenty of sauce on it (I don't like dry pizza). My husband and I go there at least once a week to share a pizza and a pitcher of beer. Good stuff!
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Ah, yes, Mama's. Previously discussed here and elsewhere. Can't believe I still haven't made it over to check it out... especially disgraceful since we used to make the drive into Kailua for Boston's (back when it was the only location).
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

Regarding Buffalo Chicken Pizza...
Quote:
Originally Posted by helen
Meat was spicer, in chunks of red nodules. No tomato sauce, mostly was a white cream or cheese sauce to it.
Susie, being in France, you may not be familiar with this dish, but it appears to be a "pizzafied" version of the New York classic, Buffalo Wings (Chicken Wings).

I've never cared for California-style pizza, such as CPK or Wolfgang Puck. That whole "Chinese Chicken Salad with crusted Snapper and Mango Salsa Pizza" thing is just too much. Even that Ham and Pineapple "Hawaiian" Pizza is going overboard. IMO. Simpler the better.

Remember these bygone Hawaii Pizzerias?...
Shakey's Pizza Parlor
Harpo's
2-for-1

Hernando's Hideaway, a bygone Kuhio Ave. restaurant/bar also had some pretty good "pie".
Old June 27th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
Regarding Buffalo Chicken Pizza...Susie, being in France, you may not be familiar with this dish, but it appears to be a "pizzafied" version of the New York classic, Buffalo Wings (Chicken Wings).

I've never cared for California-style pizza, such as CPK or Wolfgang Puck. That whole "Chinese Chicken Salad with crusted Snapper and Mango Salsa Pizza" thing is just too much. Even that Ham and Pineapple "Hawaiian" Pizza is going overboard. IMO. Simpler the better.

Remember these bygone Hawaii Pizzerias?...
Shakey's Pizza Parlor
Harpo's
2-for-1

Hernando's Hideaway, a bygone Kuhio Ave. restaurant/bar also had some pretty good "pie".
So...it's deep-fried chicken with tabasco, and ranch sauce, then...or something like that? Oh, well. I can dream.
Old June 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Kumu

Wally's @ Mililani

and Round Table and

Harbo Pub @ Waikiki
Old June 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Ali`i

Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?
Old June 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Ali`i

I have never been to Italy but the places that tend to have thin crust is Boston North End, Magoo's (it's more of a soda cracker type of crust) and Pizza Hut as an option (even through they tend to market thick crust pizzas).
Old June 27th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Kumu

The Harbor Special (or whatever it's called) is a great pizza at Harbor Pub.

I generally stick with Boston's. Especially since there's one right down the street from where I live... mmm.... Big Red...
Old June 28th, 2006, 01:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieNellieKulolo

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.
You need to find the right place. In Manhattan, the pizza is not as good as it is in the boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn) and especially Long Island.
Alot of Manhattan pizza places are crappy,and don't go to a RAY'S looking for good NY 'za...Ray's is a tourist pizza place. The mom and pops are the best.

Last edited by tikiyaki; June 28th, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Banned

To all you anchovy lovers:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060703/sc_nm/eu_anchovy_dc

"Anchovy fishing will be banned in the Bay of Biscay until the end of the year to preserve stocks, the European Commission said on Monday."

Better start stocking your shelves w/ them from the stores so that you can put em on your pizza by yourself.

It's not for me... Never understood the concept of fish on pizza

But then again...my wife can't understand the concept of pineapple on pizza
Old July 3rd, 2006, 11:42 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Is there anywhere on Oahu that makes thin crust pizza, like what one finds in Italy?
Try Antonio's New York Style Pizza across the freeway from Kahala Mall. I never used to like thin crust pizza (grew up in the Chicago area with their deep dish pizzas) but I absolutely love Antonio's pizzas. They get many of their ingredients in from the East Coast (they cousins who own the place are of Italian descent and from the East Coast).
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Ali`i

Um, is there anyone who DISLIKES Boston's Pizza? I don't like the stuff at all...it gets cold quickly and tastes HORRIBLE if it's not completely fresh. I like my pizza with more leftover staying power...

Old July 4th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Ali`i

I never had a whole pizza from Boston North End. Just the slices to eat at the store.
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohacandy
Try Antonio's New York Style Pizza across the freeway from Kahala Mall. I never used to like thin crust pizza (grew up in the Chicago area with their deep dish pizzas) but I absolutely love Antonio's pizzas. They get many of their ingredients in from the East Coast (they cousins who own the place are of Italian descent and from the East Coast).

They make this huge and I mean HUGE pizza. Once in the Clear Channel Jock room I saw this 3 x 3' (yes foot) pizza box with the words, "Antonio's Pizza" on it.

I ate there a couple of times and enjoyed it. And yes it's authentic East Coast stuff. I love thin crust, it's really the best way to eat a pizza as you taste more of the toppings than the bread with each bite.
Old July 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohacandy
Thanks! I'll keep that one in mind! I'm glad to know someone in Oahu besides big name franchises is making thin crust pizzas.

Quote:
I have never been to Italy
Beautiful place. Best country in Europe, IMO, if you ever visit
Old July 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Haumana

Send a message via Yahoo to cprompt0806

Anyone here been to La Pizza Rina? Its a little restaurant in South King. Their pizzas are good!
Old July 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

anyone remember bella venezia?

in kailua, just past Buzzes? it is now a church.
it's an old cinderblock building.

couple college kids there tried to make a go of an italian / pizzaria eatery. back in the late 60's