Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 13th, 2004, 05:37 AM
Ali`i

Default Pizza?

I can't believe this after 31 threads no one mentions pizza in the Kaukau Korner forum?

Oh dear!

Woe is me!

In any event sometime last week while going thru Sears Ala Moana I entered the store from the ewa side ground level where Zippys and the other food places are. And the Pizza Hut Express is no longer there.

I have been getting my pizza fix from Costco or from the Taco Bells. The Taco Bell location at Ala Moana seems to have the personal pan pizza sort of ready to go, while the South King/Keeaumoku Street location you have to wait at least 5 minutes to get a personal pan pizza.
Old July 13th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Luna

Default Re: Pizza?

My fave is Papa John's. Excellent crust, good sauce(not too sweet), and can't beat the garlic butter and jalapenos. Luckily one just opened up in my neighborhood.

Costco pizza is pretty damn good. When I lived in HI Kai I used to walk over to Costco, grab a slice, sit at one of the tables near the water with a book. Good times.

NYC pizza is overrated in my book. When I was here circa '90-91 I remember it as being 'ono but now it seems like there are a lot of second-rate pizza joints around selling greasy, flavorless, over-processed pies. The good stuff is still there but it's very hit-or-miss.

Boston North End is great, I used to go there all the time when I would hang out in Kaimuki.

One thing I think is missing in Hawai'i (esp. downtown and Waikiki where there are pedestrians) is small-kine street food carts. You know, in NYC, Chicago, etc. you got hot dogs, pizza by the slice, pretzels, etc. In India you can buy samosas or pakoras. If you're not in the mood for a big plate lunch it would be nice to be able to just grab a manapua or spam musubi and a soda.
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Big, floppy New York style is a favorite of mine as well... for which Boston's provides a good fix. When we lived in town, my family and I would go to the Manoa location. Their combos with spinach and garlic were great, though I often went with the basic pepperoni... folding it, of course, after adding red peppers and garlic salt to make a handy pizza sandwich.

I remember their first Kailua store. The employees there were a colorful bunch. (Although the flap a few years back about their owner's reluctance to hire locals dimmed the appeal a bit.)

I like Costco pizza too. A good price covers many sins!

For home delivery, I like Papa John's too, if only for the butter and garlic dipping sauce (sense a pattern?). We just tried Pizza Hut's gimmicky four-panel pizza, and while it's neat (and apparently a hit with kids), there's more crust there than anything else.
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Ali`i

Well, the Pizza Hut Express is now combined with Taco Bell at Ala Moana, near McD's, so it isn't surprising they closed the one by Zippy's.

Papa John is pretty good but I think my favorite is that wacky "potpourri" version at Magoo's. Pineapple on pizza!

Occasionally I do buy a slice or two at Sbarro's in the Ala Moana Food Court but it's often on the greasey side and sloppy to eat.
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Ali`i

Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.

But getting back to pizza, I'm partial to the crust and tangy sauce they do at Domino's. Big Kahuna's over in Mapunapuna is also very good.
Old July 13th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Kia`aina

Well, I no stay da āina, but ovah heah in Oregon we get one new company called "Flying Pie Pizza"... all hand-tossed crusts, and fills to make yoah mout' watah. Best pizza I evah wen grine....
Old July 13th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Ali`i

"The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me."

Oh, I love "Pineapple Upside Down Cake", although admittedly, the pineapple portion of the "potpourri" pizza at Magoo's isn't my favorite part of that option. (It combines four types of pizza-toppings in one big pizza.)
Old July 14th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Ali`i

I gotta admit that Papa Johns's Garlic Butter Sauce is pretty good. I do like Boston's North End Pizza but it's been awhile since I had it.

I agree with Albert about Sbarros as far as sloppy to eat but it's alright and there are selections to their offerings.
Old July 14th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Luna

Here in Northern California I enjoy the Pizza from Little Italy. Best pizza I tasted. Tin crust is crunchy and pan pizzas are buttery.
I love pineapple in general and love it with anything I eat. Nothing beats a fresh pineapple put in the fridge, taken out and cut up with a little bit of salt. I also like spam and pineapple or Ham with a pineapple sauce.
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleno
Ham with a pineapple sauce.
That's an old standby. The Hotel Yokosuka next door to my apartment offered that, and when I was really hungry for home cooking (other than my own on my single gas burner in my two-room, six-tatami apartment) I'd go to their restaurant and order that for about 1,000 yen. (1973-1974 prices, mind you).
Old July 15th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to adrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
Pineapple on pizza? Ack! Phthbbth! Ptui!

The whole concept of pineapple as a cooking ingredient has always escaped me. Pineapple and meats are just plain wrong. I shudder when I see "Hawaiian" recipes that call for putting pineapple over everything.
I also hate that. Mostly on the mainland, they have pineapples on "Hawaiian pizza".

Back on topic, lately I've been enjoying my pizza fresh from the oven (store bought from Sam's Club). Its usually ready in 15 minutes or so, and its a good deal for a family.

But if I go out, then I'd go with Pizza Hut's pizza. I've tasted Papa John's pizza, and to me, they don't do pizza right.
Old July 15th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Ali`i

I'm mostly the thick crust type of person but I can handle the thin crust. For me the worst pizza to eat would be the cheese only pizzas. Nothing against cheese, I like cheese, but not if it's the only thing on it.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Ali`i

Went to Sbarro for dinner today at Ala Moana. A couple of slices and a bottle of water for $10.

I think the worse part was the stuffed sliced that I had, the bottom crust was so soaked that it broke apart while I was eating it.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Luna

What I hate the most is if you gat a pizza where the crust not cooked good. there are times when I buy a pan pizza and the crust is so doughy like not cooked long enough.

Oh....convert 1,000 yens for me?
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Kanaka

Location: waycross,georgia..(deep south-alligators,snakes&bugs!)

pizza hut pan style meat lovers is my favorite!!!can't handle papa john's..back in the 90's my hubby managed a papa john's.he actually went to papa john's pizza "college" in kentucky for 1 week.@ the time,our roommate,& 6 of the drivers 4 pj's all lived in the same apt.complex...soooo!!!we had tons &tons of it..i do miss the garlic butter tho..
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
My fave is Papa John's.
I try not to support corporate chains that come here and ruin our islands, especially when we can find ono pizza at Magoo's:
dollar steinees, small pizza, big enuff for two; ask for the combo with shrimp and capers. have em make it well done.
Too good.
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Ali`i

Antonio's on Waialae Avenue next to the laundramatte under the overpass across from Kahala Mall.

Probably the best New York style pizza I've ever eaten.
Old August 12th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Luna

Send a message via AIM to Kilinahe Send a message via MSN to Kilinahe Send a message via Yahoo to Kilinahe

Oooooooh yeah. I went there on my dinner break once or twice when I worked across the street. Sometimes I would sell my grandma for good pizza.
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:02 PM
Luna

I have renounced Sbarro. I like CPK

I usually just make pizza instead of buying.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Ali`i

Wow! We have a Papa John's at UH-Manoa now.
Old August 24th, 2004, 02:09 AM
Ali`i

Where at UH?
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Ali`i

"Where at UH?"

Papa John's at UH-Manoa is a big box in front of Spalding Hall. Like a small house-trailer.

Getting so fancy up here, have Ba-Le, Subway, Taco Bell, that vegetarian place (smaller box than Papa) ...

No White Castle, but.
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
"Where at UH?"

Papa John's at UH-Manoa is a big box in front of Spalding Hall. Like a small house-trailer.

Getting so fancy up here, have Ba-Le, Subway, Taco Bell, that vegetarian place (smaller box than Papa) ...

No White Castle, but.

ok
taco bell, subway. that is just too fancy for my taste!
I'm i'll just stay here in hawaii kai and go to magoos when Im in that area...
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Ali`i

Best pizza I ever tasted was one of those temporary offers, from Pizza Hut, it was in Dec. of '97 I think, (I remember cuz was flying to Texas that night, to a mom just diagnosed of cancer) and this pizza had NO read sauce on it, what a refreshing change. It had chicken, a white sauce, and plenty of cheese and veggies. I liked it so much I tried to buy it in Texas, once there, but P.Hut said they had already stopped offering it.
Old August 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
Best pizza I ever tasted was one of those temporary offers, from Pizza Hut, it was in Dec. of '97 I think, (I remember cuz was flying to Texas that night, to a mom just diagnosed of cancer) and this pizza had NO read sauce on it, what a refreshing change. It had chicken, a white sauce, and plenty of cheese and veggies. I liked it so much I tried to buy it in Texas, once there, but P.Hut said they had already stopped offering it.

yow. now I'm hungry.
Eh. Ya gotta try a magoos pizza. ask for well done.
da kine wit da shrimp.
shake parmesan and those lil chile peppers thingys on it.

so ono, broke da mout.