Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:22 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Longs to become CVS?

hi this is sansei and i visited kam center and i wouldnt go today of all day's to kam center is when you try to enter from the houghtailing side where the traffic light's are,both sides are closed is they are re-paving where you enter and leave and you'd have to go out by the bank side which is american saving's bank so i thought to share this with everyone.

also it had trafficbackup in the parking lot so be careful.

well thank's for your time
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
also it had trafficbackup in the parking lot so be careful.
Mahalo for the heads up Sansei.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 18th, 2008, 07:16 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and your welcome matapule, and today i went to Kam Shopping Center and on the back enterance, they are working on the road and you can enter through the front and be careful is they are also working on walgreen's and it's almost done and they also have some of the christmas reef's on the roof of Kam Shopping center so i thought to share this with everyone.

Old November 19th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Longs to become CVS?

I think it's funny that they have decided to keep the "Long's" name.
So that locals won't think of CVS as an outsider(foreigner) putting a hometown business out of business.

HaHa! Funny stuff right there.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
I think it's funny that they have decided to keep the "Long's" name. So that locals won't think of CVS as an outsider (foreigner) putting a hometown business out of business.

HaHa! Funny stuff right there.
Honestly, I don’t see the humor it it. But maybe that’s because it was a very astute business decision by CVS — to recognize local tendencies — and I am just impressed. But if you want to get technical, CVS didn’t put anyone out of business in Hawai‘i. Longs is still operating all of its stores, no store managers have been fired (to my knowledge) and no layoffs have occurred. In fact, a Longs worker told me the only change that has occurred is they will begin honoring CVS’ employee discount.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old November 21st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Longs to become CVS?

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4901453&EDATE=

"Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, Longs Drug Stores
Corporation (NYSE: LDG) is one of the most recognized retail drug store
chains on the West Coast and in Hawaii. The Company operates 526 retail
pharmacies and offers a wide assortment of merchandise focusing on health,
wellness, beauty and convenience. Longs also provides pharmacy benefit
management services and Medicare beneficiary prescription drug plans
through its wholly-owned subsidiary, RxAmerica, LLC. Additional information
about Longs and its services is available at http://www.longs.com and more
information about RxAmerica is available at http://www.rxamerica.com."

Hasn't been a 'Mom & Pop' Hawaii kine store for a looong time.
Das wot's funny
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and a about an hour ago,i returned from Kam long's and where anyone would get top park the bike's and moped's,their's only a limited space due to the christmas tree's that they are selling and also Long's has now pocketbook calender's so if anyone maybe interested,they have a lot of long's pocketbook calendar's so i thought to share this with everyone.

Old December 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Wow, whoever said top executives can’t get a multi-million$$ golden parachute in this economy, isn’t paying attention.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Keiki

I wouldn't mind getting laid off with those severance packages!
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
sansei

Unhappy Re: Longs to become CVS?

hi this is sansei and i just returned from first visiting my dr and then i went to Don Quiojte and when i parked near the bike rack's where other moped's park and this one guy told me since he was parking his bicycle that he requested me to move my moped to the other side by the post and then i mentioned to him that their are other moped's parked there and he said so and i was fustrated and he parked his bicycle and he said thank's and i didnt mind him sharing his thought's only he sort of didnt have to take his fustration's out on me so that's how my day went.

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
hi this is sansei and i just returned from first visiting my dr and then i went to Don Quiojte and when i parked near the bike rack's where other moped's park and this one guy told me since he was parking his bicycle that he requested me to move my moped to the other side by the post and then i mentioned to him that their are other moped's parked there and he said so and i was fustrated and he parked his bicycle and he said thank's and i didnt mind him sharing his thought's only he sort of didnt have to take his fustration's out on me so that's how my day went.

You did the right thing. A moped is worth more than a bicycle. You don't know what he would do to your moped when you go inside the store.
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:12 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and i went to long's kam and i went to the photo processing lab and they'll be printing my photo's for the original price at $6.00 and i know it's worth it only today when i parked my moped in the bicycle moped parking,there was this elderly security guard who was checking on place's where either bicycle's or moped's werent supposed to park only im hoping he didnt check on mine is once when i parked in the bicycle and moped parking,he was watching me chain up my moped and it was very uncomfortable and i know he's doing his job so i thought to share this with everyone.

Old January 15th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
Headquartered in Walnut Creek, California, Longs Drug Stores Corporation (NYSE: LDG) is one of the most recognized retail drug store chains on the West Coast
Not for long. With CVS’ commitment to keep Longs Drugs basically intact in Hawai‘i not withstanding, it looks like they’re moving full-speed ahead with their mainland transition/consolidation.

Quote:
OCEANSIDE — The Longs drugstore chain, an institution for three generations of Californians, is beginning to disappear from local shopping centers three months after its acquisition by its largest competitor.

With the 521 Longs stores it took over in October, CVS Caremark Corp. now has some 6,800 drugstore locations across the United States, including several dozen that are immediately across the street from one another. CVS is shuttering existing Longs stores whose markets overlap closely with those of its stores, including one on Oceanside Boulevard that dated from the late 1950s.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old February 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and today i returned from kam shopping center and i went to long's and learned that they still didnt come in with the GE Dry head Vcr Cleaner and they only had the maxell vcr dry head cleaner and it cost's $5.30 and they also had sony's vcr head cleaner and it cost's a bit more only that one isnt reliable so i'd choose the maxell vcr dry head cleaner if the GE one doesnt come in. i also went to visit starmarket and it hasnt changed and it's still the same.

Well thank's for your time
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Ali`i

I must have missed the flood warning, but somebody's stream of consciousness is overflowing.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiboundNelli View Post
I wouldn't mind getting laid off with those severance packages!
Speaking of layoffs, employees of the Hale‘iwa Supermarket recently got their pink slips after the owners decided to sell their store to Longs Drugs. I think it’s a wise decision by CVS to continue expanding Longs in the North Shore area. Walgreens will no doubt be a formidable rival once the economy turns around, and CVS needs to position itself for growth.
Quote:
Written by Lisa Kubota — lkubota@kgmb9.com

The supermarket has been serving North Shore customers for nearly 102 years. The family business is run by the Sakai’s. They're in their 80’s and ready to retire. None of their relatives wanted to take over so they sold the company to Longs Drugs.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Ali`i

Default Now we have a name to go with the crime...

Quote:
Moped owners have their own areas to park, and taking the few spots for bikes with a moped is rude and asking for trouble. Be glad the guy 'asked' you to do the proper thing, instead of really taking it out on you. Too many ignore this simple fact, and that security guard blew it.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
hi this is sansei and today i returned from kam shopping center and i went to long's and ... i also went to visit starmarket and it hasnt changed and it's still the same.
Well, that’s about to change, Sansei. Apparently, Times Supermarket which recently purchased Star Market, has decided they don’t want to keep the Star stores in Mō‘ili‘ili and ‘Ewa Beach.

Meanwhile CVS dba Longs Drugs will now acquire those locations instead. For the life of me, I can't figure out why CVS would want the Star Mō‘ili‘ili location. CVS spent a fortune replacing all the cash registers with touch-screen systems, added an additional pharmacy service window which will supposedly open sometime next year, and changed out the in-house telephones at the current Mō‘ili‘ili Longs, which is only a block away. That site already has three levels of parking, including a level on the roof.

The only reason I can think of is that Star has a pharmacy, which hurts CVS’ core business. Is that reason enough to justify buying them out?

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Ali`i

I'm somewhat mystified by this, too. Especially since the Moiliili Star is always pretty busy. That location has to be one of Star's best performers, if not the best. Maybe they're going to keep it primarily as a grocery store? I have no idea.
Old July 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I'm somewhat mystified by this, too. Especially since the Moiliili Star is always pretty busy. That location has to be one of Star's best performers, if not the best. Maybe they're going to keep it primarily as a grocery store? I have no idea.
I go to that Star Market rather than the Foodland and Times around that area because of the HawaiianMiles points you get when buying products that are basically the same price.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
Every time I've been in that nursery it's busy. Maybe Long's/CVS will diversify?!
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Every time I've been in that nursery it's busy. Maybe Long's/CVS will diversify?!
Always a possibility. Starbucks is trying a one off shop with a different name that serves alcohol along side coffee and tea.
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Always a possibility. Starbucks is trying a one off shop with a different name that serves alcohol along side coffee and tea.
The two of you may not be far off the mark. A CVS in Florida may be the first to market a “new stimulant” to those seeking to satisfy their sugar rush.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:50 AM
Ali`i

Maybe they plan to make another large store, kind of like Pali or Kahala Longs? and it's a pretty prime location, with lots of parking space. But it would be sad to see Star Market (now Times) leave there as they are convenient for the University neighborhood.

This is another example of what happens to our local businesses when "foreign" companies open up here. Of course, Times is not helping by saying they're going to close a very high performing store.

I agree - it is puzzling.

Last edited by anapuni808; July 28th, 2009 at 03:54 AM.
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Ali`i

Don't forget, if Star Moiliili becomes a Longs, there's another Longs just a few blocks away, a very busy Longs. My guess is they would close the Longs near Stadium Park and just migrate to the newer, larger location.
Closed Thread