Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old August 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Kumu

Default Re: Longs to become CVS?

I thought the reason cashiers drop or slide your ID/credit card on the counter was because it was faster than waiting for the customer to grab it. Even if the customer has his hand extended, it's already become a habit.
Old August 19th, 2008, 08:13 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Longs to become CVS?

hi this is sansei and i just spoke with kam shopping center long's manager and i learned they may keep what they sell and with the photo processing lab for photo's,they may keep this also and that's what i know for now so to kani-lehua,thank's for sharing your thought's with me.i'll find out more later on what will happen with long's in Kam center and pali long's.

Well thank's for your time
Old August 20th, 2008, 01:37 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and i just spoke with a customer service agent at The head office of Long's and they shared with me that for a while,they'll keep what they sell in their store's and that they'll for a while keep the photo processing lab for photo's so this is the best update i learned so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time:O)
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:29 AM
sansei

hi this is sansei and a few day's ago,i went to pali long's and they still sell what long's always been selling,their original product's that when they still have the name of long's before being sold to CVS only it remain's the same with all of their or long's product's.

i purchased my pre-paid phone card so it's stilll at $10.00 plus tax so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Also, I always hand over my id with my cc, because a responsible clerk is always supposed to verify that the 'you' on your id is the same as the name on the credit card. Lots of times, they just throw my id back on the counter without even looking at it. Meh! That just makes fraudulent cc purchases easier for criminals!
I disagree with this "responsible clerk" stuff. When I worked retail in the eighties (yeah, yeah...), a credit card by itself was a valid form of ID for check-writing. If the signature you signed on the check matched the signature on the card, that was good enough. Convenience and ease of use were two of the HUGE benefits credit card companies touted as incentives to use their cards.

Yes, I know people steal credit cards. That's why the credit card companies are quick to assure you that if someone steals your card, you won't be responsible for charges applied to it. That's why when the companies notice unusual activity on your card, they contact you to see what the deal is. They assume responsibility for the proper use of your card.

The clerk is in no way liable for charges rung up on a stolen card. Neither is the retailer. The credit card companies WANT as many people as possible to use their cards, so they assume all of the risk. When retailers and clerks take it upon themselves to ask for some other form of ID before processing the charge, they take away one of my primary reasons for using the card in the first place.

Zippy's, 7-Eleven, Subway, and (intermittently, especially in the drive-throughs) BK have asked for ID when I've tried to use my card. This offends me and causes me to patronize the establishments less frequently. McD's, Jack in the Box, Longs, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Best Buy have never asked me for ID, for which I give them props.
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Zippy's, 7-Eleven, Subway, and (intermittently, especially in the drive-throughs) BK have asked for ID when I've tried to use my card. This offends me and causes me to patronize the establishments less frequently. McD's, Jack in the Box, Longs, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Best Buy have never asked me for ID, for which I give them props.
I totally feel you on this one, scriv. I find it rediculous when Zippy’s and 7-Eleven ask me for my I.D. when I’m not even purchasing alcohol/tobacco. Especially if there’s a line all the way to the Slurpee® machine!

If the last name on the card was McDermott, then maybe an I.D. check is justified, as I don’t think I look Irish much less white. A faster way to ensure I am using a valid card, is by comparing the signature on the receipt to the signature on the card. If they are really so concerned about identity, they should invest in a self-service credit card swipe machine, which even McDonald’s® seems to be able to afford.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
[...]
If the last name on the card was McDermott, then maybe an I.D. check is justified, as I don’t think I look Irish much less white.[...]
Aha! So this is why Scriv gets asked for his ID! Scriv doesn't look like his last name...in the least!

On the back of my Visa debit card I didn't sign my name; rather, I wrote "Photo ID required". Fully 90% of clerks never check it. I usually call their attention to it.
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Aha! So this is why Scriv gets asked for his ID! Scriv doesn't look like his last name...in the least!
Ha! But I'll bet for most people in Hawaii, and possibly you, too, more of the Dwyers they've met have looked like me than have looked UNlike me. :P
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

Kam Shopping Center Longs looks so different now with the massive renovations it isn't funny. Now they need to expand pharmacy hours if they want to compete with Walgreens.

Aj
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
A better question to ask would be along the lines of the pharmacy operation. If I am traveling to places where CVS has a store like in Amarillo Texas for example would I be able to get my prescriptions refilled there?
In my experience, yes. Working in an ED in a tourist area, I was able to call the local CVS and get an accurate list of current meds for out-of-towners. I know that every time I have gone out of state to a CVS for a prescription, they pull me up in the computer to verify my home address and allergies.

I have had patients in the past who ran out of a critical med while on vacation, and were able to get a few doses from the local CVS until they got home. Same for Walgreens.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and in response to kalihiboy,i live quite close to Kam Center,only i havent been their in a while so thank's for sharing the update only when i shared about pali long's,it hasnt changed yet,only i wondered if Kam Center still has it's long's photo processing lab so i'd be able to have my film printed.
if your able to share on long's photo processing lab,i'd truly appreciate it very much,please?

Old September 10th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Kanaka

All of the stores are being remodeled...and it has been in the works for a long time. They start with the stores that need it the most...

Sansei...CVS will not take longs over until the end of the quarter (December). So you won't see any changes in service(s) until after then. I don't see them taking away photo. It's a huge money maker for Longs.
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweet View Post
I don't see them taking away photo. It's a huge money maker for Longs.
Is it still, in this era of digital photography? It was my understanding that it is a dying segment of many drugstores. Fewer and fewer people are using film, and self-service kiosks or online services are what more people are using to make prints from digital cameras (if they don't print at home, that is).
Old September 10th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Ali`i

It was all downhill anyway after they changed from the green smocks to those aloha-print things.
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Is it still, in this era of digital photography? It was my understanding that it is a dying segment of many drugstores. Fewer and fewer people are using film, and self-service kiosks or online services are what more people are using to make prints from digital cameras (if they don't print at home, that is).
They still make a lot of money from photo..especially during the holidays! And they have self-service kiosks in the store....and make money that way too!
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Ali`i

Even Walgreens processes photos, I think they have to keep them, the older people aren't always tech savvy with the digital age, myself included.

You can process photos at Kam Longs now, everything is back up and running. That particular Longs store opened in March 1971.

CVS is known to buy out chains, they bought out the Hooks Drug store franchise in Indiana a decade ago.

Aj
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:51 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and in response to kalihiboy,i agree with you on kam long's,it certainly has changed and they were still fixing up thing's and they are keeping the long's photo processing lab and they'll keep this and i did ask the clerk about it and she said that they will keep the long's photo processing lab so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thank's for your time also they dont have when entering the two opening door,they have it like Pali long's,one big door in the front.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Ali`i

Media are reporting this afternoon that Walgreens has made a better offer and Longs board is talking to them.
Old September 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
sansei

hi this is sansei and i just heard on the preview of the news that is what i heard that a new buyer is talking to long's about a possible buyout and i hope this one doesnt go through is i wont mind if CVS had bought Longs only i think they longs should stick with their deal with CVS and not be bought by walgreen's and if it happened,i dont think long's would survive and they'd better keep it twith the long's name and not change it to walgreen's.

Old September 13th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansei View Post
i heard that a new buyer is talking to long's about a possible buyout and i hope this one doesnt go through ... they longs should stick with their deal with CVS and not be bought by walgreen's and if it happened,i dont think long's would survive
I agree, sansei. According to the Chicago Tribune, Walgreen’s $3 billion-offer is worth $3.50 more per share than CVS’ bid, so it is an attractive offering for stockholders. As far as Longs Drugs itself, it would almost certainly be a worse deal for the management and store philosophy if Walgreen’s offer did go through. Walgreen is currently in direct competition with Longs in Hawai‘i, and would most likely fold and convert all Longs into Walgreen’s format, saving them the expensive of building more stores from scratch. It goes without saying that reorganizing at Longs would be geared towards Walgreen’s people (which by now has assistant managers in need of promoting) running the show.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Ali`i

On the mainland it is not uncommon to see Walgreens within a few blocks of one another so if Kam Shopping Center Longs becomes Walgreens it will have another store across the street at the site of the former Kam Bowl.

Aj
Old September 13th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
On the mainland it is not uncommon to see Walgreens within a few blocks of one another so if Kam Shopping Center Longs becomes Walgreens it will have another store across the street at the site of the former Kam Bowl.
At least you no have to cross the street, especially if you're a[n elderly] pedestrian on Oahu. Hehehe.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old September 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ali`i

hehehe - yes, that is an advantage!

I have spent some time at both companies websites. Judging by the company information put out - Walgreen's is a much better company based on how it impacts communities and the environment. Also, how it treats its employees and how much it encourages diversity in its hiring.

If I was a Long's stockholder, I would much rather see it sold to Walgreen's than CVS. Of course, I'm not a stockholder so my opinion doesn't really matter that much

http://www.walgreens.com/community
http://www.cvs.com/community
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Ali`i

What do you folks think would be a better move for Walgreens, if it is successful with the acquisition: to stay in Kam Shopping Center and to sell the former bowling alley property, or to pull everything up and leave the shopping center for its bigger space across the street?

Seems to me it could go either way, but moving to the bowling alley site would hurt the shopping center. I imagine it would lose some walk-by business, but people will still go to Walgreens even if it's no longer in the shopping center.
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Ali`i

Is Starbucks considered a drug store?
Closed Thread