Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old August 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Longs to become CVS?

price check, price check on register 5: brawny paper towels were on sale for $11.99 regularly $14.99. price check, price check on register #5 (same transaction): safer brand insecticide for fruits and veggies had a sticker price of $5.69 ringing up at 8.99. total savings: $6.30 plus tax. keep a watchful eye as your items are being rung up. this happened at long's today, but is not isolated to their stores.

the customer before us was talking about cvs' takeover and was worried that things wouldn't be the same. the clerk told him not to worry and that everything would be just that. i hope not. just my opinion.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Cause they don't want to risk making physical (hand) contact with all you nasty customer-types? Ewwww.....
How about people like Howie Mandel who won't shake people's hands because he's germaphobe? Does he shake the contestant hands on the tv show?
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
How about people like Howie Mandel who won't shake people's hands because he's germaphobe? Does he shake the contestant hands on the tv show?
Fist bump.
Old August 15th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

How will this change affect the "Made in Hawaii" products in Longs?
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
How will this change affect the "Made in Hawaii" products in Longs?
If CVS is savvy, they shouldn't change anymore when Walgreen carry "Made in Hawaii" products or McDonald's offering saimin for lunch and spam or portuguese sausage & egg for breakfast.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Ali`i

A better question to ask would be along the lines of the pharmacy operation. If I am traveling to places where CVS has a store like in Amarillo Texas for example would I be able to get my prescriptions refilled there?
Old August 15th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
A better question to ask would be along the lines of the pharmacy operation. If I am traveling to places where CVS has a store like in Amarillo Texas for example would I be able to get my prescriptions refilled there?
I dunno. How are their network?

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
sansei

Question Re: Longs to become CVS?

hi this is sansei and im hoping that even though CVS bought long's that Long's will keep the same policy as Long's otherwise when i shop there,thing's will be awkard there and not sure if i'd shop there again if thing's get changed as policy wise.

Well thank's for your time
Old August 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Ali`i

what kinds of policies are you speaking of, sansei?

Old August 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Kumu

I've heard that you have to take a 'personality test' when you apply with Longs. Does anyone know if that's true? I've never taken one of those as a condition to employment. I would imagine it would be easy to cheat and skew your responses to show you have strong, positive characteristics.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
just a question: why is it that when you need to hand the cashier (not just at long's) your credit card or i.d., do they kind of flick it on the counter instead of handing it back to you?
Hmm...maybe you could elaborate a little. Unless you’re at a restaurant, I can’t think of a situation where you would “hand over your credit card” to the cashier (since automation and modern technology have made it the customer’s responsibility to ‘swipe’ their own card), but I suppose the I.D. thing could be a bit irritating.

Having worked at a grocery store, I would say that clerks normally don’t need your I.D. until they scan a liquor, cigarette or pseudoephedrine-containing drug item. At that time, the cash register’s computer screen asks the clerk to key in your birthdate. So perhaps you were giving them an I.D. before they needed it? I would imagine they put it on the counter for later use, rather then hand it back to you, and have you prematurely bury it in your purse.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

sometimes the cashier asks to see the credit card and/or an i.d. when a credit card purchase is made. i hand over my credit card as the i.d. because it has my pic on it. also, sometimes when the purchaser tries and fails to swipe the card or even the gift card, the cashier can complete the transaction.

funny, the other day we were buying beer at long's and paid by credit card. but, before the transaction was completed the cashier asked for an i.d. to verify the birthdate. we both looked at eachother and started laughing as we are in our mid-late forties. we thanked her for the compliment. must be genetics--we look young for our ages if i do say so myself.

Old August 17th, 2008, 01:24 AM
sansei

Red face Re: Longs to become CVS?

1. hi this is sansei and in response to kani-lehua,the policie's i speak of is if like long's,if you'd need to return something that maybe the package was damaged or something of this sort,will they honor this? Also i hope they keep the same price's and for the photo department that they will always have the long's photo processing lab so you could get your photo's printed up in a day or two,this is what i'd be speaking of. i hope this may help with your thought's?

Old August 17th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Ali`i

i'm not certain of their return policies, sansei. or if they will keep the same ones in place. i could find out as i family and friends that work for long's at the district office and/or other locations. but, i'm really not into, "making long's a part of my day." (refer to previous posts). also, i would hope that because they, cvs, has better buying power, they would/could lower the prices and make them comparable to such stores as walgreen's and walmart.

Last edited by kani-lehua; August 17th, 2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
just a question: why is it that when you need to hand the cashier (not just at long's) your credit card or i.d., do they kind of flick it on the counter instead of handing it back to you?
I have noticed this at the gym (24 Hour Fitness). Members are required to have an ID card scanned upon entry. I hand my card to the clerk and stand there with my hand out waiting for them to scan the card and hand it back. But instead of handing it to me, they usually drop it on the counter about six inches away from my hand so I have to pick it up off the counter. Very irritating.

It may be a cultural thing. In Asian cultures, the clerk passes the card with two hands as a show of respect. But in America, customer service seems to be a lost art (kind of like counting back change).
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Ali`i

I've noticed this too! You hand the cashier your cc or id, into their hand, then when they're done with it, they drop it on the countertop right in front of you! Sometimes even right in front of your outstretched fingers. Maybe 1% of the time they will hand it back to you, into your hand.

Also, I always hand over my id with my cc, because a responsible clerk is always supposed to verify that the 'you' on your id is the same as the name on the credit card. Lots of times, they just throw my id back on the counter without even looking at it. Meh! That just makes fraudulent cc purchases easier for criminals!
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
why is it that when you need to hand the cashier (not just at long's) your credit card or i.d., do they kind of flick it on the counter instead of handing it back to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by localmoco View Post
I hand my card to the clerk and stand there with my hand out waiting for them to scan the card and hand it back. But instead of handing it to me, they usually drop it on the counter about six inches away from my hand so I have to pick it up off the counter. Very irritating.
It may be a cultural thing. In Asian cultures, the clerk passes the card with two hands as a show of respect. But in America, customer service seems to be a lost art (kind of like counting back change).
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
I've noticed this too! You hand the cashier your cc or id, into their hand, then when they're done with it, they drop it on the countertop right in front of you! Sometimes even right in front of your outstretched fingers. Maybe 1% of the time they will hand it back to you, into your hand.
Did you think I was kidding?
Quote:
Cause they don't want to risk making physical (hand) contact with all you nasty customer-types? Ewwww.....
Many people in retail avoid physical contact with customers, in order to try not to pick up germs - especially when they spend much of their day watching customers sneeze and cough into their hands (and then come up to buy cold medications!) They deal with hundreds of people each day, and many have become a bit germophobic from all the exposure to the unwashed masses.
Old August 18th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Ali`i

they already have had contact with the cards when it's handed to them. and, um, the germs would have been transferred to the cashier anyway while scanning the items to be purchased, no?

"exposure to the unwashed masses": egads! i don't want to even think about all the produce that's handled.

Old August 18th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
they already have had contact with the cards when it's handed to them. and, um, the germs would have been transferred to the cashier anyway while scanning the items to be purchased, no?

"exposure to the unwashed masses": egads! i don't want to even think about all the produce that's handled.
Yeah - but surprisingly, quite a few think that actual skin-to-skin contact is far worse. The whole thing is a bit overblown, but the belief is astoundingly widespread amongst retail workers, especially in grocery store and drug store employees.

And that's why you always wash your produce before ingesting, yeah? Or is that more to remove pesticide residue than "human" bacterial residue? This is gettin' ickier by the minute.
Old August 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Yeah - but surprisingly, quite a few think that actual skin-to-skin contact is far worse. The whole thing is a bit overblown, but the belief is astoundingly widespread amongst retail workers, especially in grocery store and drug store employees.

And that's why you always wash your produce before ingesting, yeah? Or is that more to remove pesticide residue than "human" bacterial residue? This is gettin' ickier by the minute.
they might believe that skin-to-skin contact is far worse, but there's a lot of germies airborne that cause illnessess, too. nothing can be done about those. well, i guess, we/they could all wear masks. but then again, would a bank tell a customer to remove the mask upon entering the establishment? money's got to be one of the dirtiest things around that we hand to eachother (or so i'm told).

and then there are those who wear gloves who think that they remain sterile yet touch so many surfaces thereby contaminating the gloves. i've been to a sandwich shop where the maker was wearing gloves to prepare the sandwich and left them on while collecting another customer's money. then she proceeded to go and make more sandwiches. i walked out. the same thing happened at a burger joint. you are right, "is gettin' icker by the minute."

Old August 18th, 2008, 10:51 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Longs to become CVS?

hi this is sansei and in response to kani-lehua,may you have learned anything new about long's and if the policie's or anything will change with what they'd sell and if you may know,please respond so i'd have an update on how thing's are,i'd truly appreciate it very much,please?

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Ali`i

sorry, sansei. i haven't made any inquiry to either my family or friends regarding policies/procedures that may or may not change.

Old August 19th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Kanaka

The changes they have been making to all of their stores is basically done so that all of the Hawaii stores match the existing stores on the mainland. And I appreciate all of the remodeling! Some of the Longs had really narrow aisles that didn't allow more than 2 carts in the main aisles.

As far as the staff goes...I think people expect better service from Longs...maybe because they feel that it is their "neighborhood store" and that everyone that works there should know them by name?? lol

I read a bunch of comments on the Advertiser website saying how Longs always runs out of sale items. But doesn't your expectations change..say when you go to Best Buy. If they run out of an advertised item on the same day the ad came out, people just shrug it off. If Longs runs out on a Tuesday, it's travesty!

I agree about Customers being way too demanding. I once saw a lady walk in a Longs with her shopping list, hand it to a clerk, and ask him to find all of the items on her list!! And he agreed! She wasn't old or disabled. Try that at Wal-mart!

When I walk into a wal-mart, if I can't find it myself, I won't even bother asking a clerk...or is it just a stock person? I can't tell the difference. I tried asking for help at Wal-mart ONCE. It was a group of 5 workers. I asked them if they had any more in stock, they said..."uh, probably not." then went on with their conversation. no one offered to go check in the back....but if this happened at a longs, I would have complained to a Manager! Different standards I guess...
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittersweet View Post

I agree about Customers being way too demanding. I once saw a lady walk in a Longs with her shopping list, hand it to a clerk, and ask him to find all of the items on her list!! And he agreed! She wasn't old or disabled. Try that at Wal-mart!
I would look at a sample copy of their current advertisment in the store with the sticker labels of which aisle the item is located.
Old August 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: Longs to become CVS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
As I explained to kani-lehua earlier, at least in a supermarket setting, there is an important reason for this practice. Clerks normally don’t need your I.D. until they scan a liquor, cigarette or pseudoephedrine-containing drug item. At that time, the cash register’s computer screen asks the clerk to key in your birthdate.

Therefore, if you give them your I.D. to them before the liquor, cigarette or drugs have rolled down the conveyor belt to the area where the cashier can run the UPC barcode through the terminal, it’s basically useless. However, they still need the I.D. when they finally are ready to scan the particular “21 and over” merchandise. So that’s why they put your I.D. on the counter. They are trying to tell you through non-verbal communication: “I am not finished using your I.D. Please don’t stuff it back in your bag yet.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Closed Thread