Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 22nd, 2008, 11:59 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Thumbs up Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

The race for Honolulu Mayor is shaping up to be an exciting contest! Incumbent Mufi Hannemann has nearly $2 million in his campaign warchest. But on the last day to file, veteran politician and current city councilwoman Ann Kobayashi threw her hat in the race. A significant voice in Stop Rail Now poster boy UH Professor Panos Prevedouros should liven the debate. And the usual vocal “independents” Jim Brewer (Green Party) and Daniel Cunningham (Nuclear power advocate) are also in the mix. Who will win this contest, who is the best candidate and what are the main issues that will resonate with voters?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:14 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

You think that Ann Kobayashi will make this year's Mayoral election exciting?

It's not even going to be close. In fact, I would be very surprised if the Mufster doesn't coast to an outright victory in the primary election. If Mufi's challengers can extend him to a general election battle, then something would be seriously wrong with his campaign. He would have to think twice about trying to run for governor in 2010 if that were to happen.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Great. That means at least two more years of that embarrassing singing.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:26 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
You think that Ann Kobayashi will make this year's Mayoral election exciting?
Not necessarily just Ann, who ran unopposed in the last election, and has had time to build up campaign funds. Having a sitting city councilman running her campaign should not be lost on anyone. And Panos, though I doubt he’ll muster as many votes as Kobayashi, will no doubt be firing darts from anti-rail lobby. Both of the other two frontrunners will have to have ready answers to stay viable.

Quote:
It's not even going to be close. In fact, I would be very surprised if the Mufster doesn't coast to an outright victory in the primary election.
That would be a tall order. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you need 50 percent plus one to avoid a runoff. My preliminary prediction is Mufi 46%, Ann 32% and Panos 16%, with 3% split among the remaining candidates, and 3% blank votes. That would force a general election runoff between Hannemann and Kobayashi.

Quote:
If Mufi's challengers can extend him to a general election battle, then something would be seriously wrong with his campaign. He would have to think twice about trying to run for governor in 2010 if that were to happen.
Again, I think you are reaching in this conclusion. Despite his significant accomplishments of undoing the facade of the Harris Administration, Mufi’s image has been battered by the anti-railers. They want to make this a one-issue campaign, and so far, they have been successful.

Mufi will have to spend all of his money reminding the public of how much he has streamlined city government and refocused its priorities. I don’t think going all the way to the general election will significantly affect a run for Governor. I’ll concede that it might affect a run for Congress if Lingle also runs.

By the way, I noticed you deleted the part you wrote about Dan Boylan in your final comment. As far as I know, Boylan has been wrong in his past few political predictions. Neal Milner seems to be the resident expert these days.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Kumu

Panos is a one-trick pony. The only issue on his platform is "stop the train". And if the majority of voters don't want to stop the train, well that pretty much derails his campaign.

He might make an issue out of the crumbling infrastructure. Blame the sewer system problems on Mufi's administration. But those problems are the legacy of Jeremy Harris. Most people should be able to see that.

And if they try to make an issue out of secondary sewage treatment, the top marine biologists in the state have already testified to the EPA that secondary treatment is pointless. There's no evidence of harm being done to the local marine ecosystem from the lack of secondary treatment.

And as for political experience, Panos is a babe in the woods. I wouldn't want someone like THAT in charge of this city!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:49 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
And as for political experience, Panos is a babe in the woods. I wouldn't want someone like THAT in charge of this city!
What experience did Mufi have when he assumed office, outside of the HVCB and flinging mud at Congressional opponents?

I do think Ann Kobayashi can at least make this interesting. I have a suspicion that she's running only so that it's not a cakewalk for the mayor, although since she's a member of the same party, I guess I sorta think a cakewalk for the mayor would put him in a strong position in two years.

16% is too much, TuNnL. There may be a lot of signatures on that petition, but that doesn't mean people want this guy to be the mayor of our city. Unless things get ugly here in the next few weeks, the mayor will win the election on primary election night with just over fifty percent of the vote. I predict something in the neighborhood of 53% to 55%.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I do think Ann Kobayashi can at least make this interesting. I have a suspicion that she's running only so that it's not a cakewalk for the mayor, although since she's a member of the same party, I guess I sorta think a cakewalk for the mayor would put him in a strong position in two years.
That’s an interesting perspective Scriv, though a bit illogical. Are you saying she’s trying to spite Mufi because of their disagreements over the past four years?

Quote:
16% is too much, TuNnL. There may be a lot of signatures on that petition, but that doesn't mean people want this guy to be the mayor of our city.
Okay, I admit I got caught up in the moment, and as Composite 2992 says, Panos is a political “babe in the woods.” So let me say — final answer: 13% for Panos, 49% for Mufi, with Ann’s take unchanged. That still means it will go to a runoff in November.

Worth noting however, is Malia Zimmerman’s play-by-play of yesterday’s filing frenzy. Apparently, Duke Bainum and Kirk Caldwell will “duke it out” for Kobayashi’s now vacant seat. Caldwell’s last-minute filing was so hasty, he may have left his own House seat without a Democratic contender!

Quote:
Caldwell’s last minute filing for council left his House seat vacant as he was running unopposed and that set off another chain reaction.

Mayor Hannemann’s administrative assistant Chrystn Eades, who previously worked for Senator Daniel Inouye in Washington DC, raced to file her nomination papers for Caldwell’s Mānoa House seat at the encouragement of her boss. She needed 15 valid signatures from people living in her district to qualify. Eades tried to pick up her papers at 3:50 p.m. and take them around for people to sign, but the elections office staff was backed up and did not actually give her the nomination papers until 4:30 p.m.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993

Last edited by TuNnL; July 23rd, 2008 at 09:20 AM. Reason: proper attribution
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Great. That means at least two more years of that embarrassing singing.
HA! But at least he smiles when he sings.

I don't think Ann Kobayashi has a chance in hell to beat the Muffmeister. I'm sure she figures this is her only chance to ever have a run at mayorship. She's 71 years old already. If she fails, which she probably knows is a more realistic outcome, she'll retire. She's already at that stage in her career. Even if she does win by some odd streak of fate, she'll most likely be a one-term mayor. It's just hard to keep up with that kind of pressure and schedule at 76 years old.

Other than the rail fiasco, I think Muff has been a pretty good mayor. Better than I thought. I don't see any major weakness, except in his F sharp

I thought Panos would be an interesting candidate, but after hearing his solution to traffic with toll roads, he lost me. That's out of touch with Hawaii, man! Charging me to drive on a freeway? That's Bulls*#@! That won't stop people from driving. Parents like myself drive out of necessity. Plus, the bus system is inadequate and won't take me to work within a 90- minute time frame. Toll roads will be just another government scheme to take $ from taxpayers, as if it doesn't cost enough to live here...
Charles Djou better watch it too. He's losing my support real fast because he's proposing toll roads too.

It's amazing how fast one can change his/her mind about candidates and politicians.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
It's amazing how fast one can change his/her mind about candidates and politicians.
If the politicians can flip-flop, so can we voters.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
HA! But at least he smiles when he sings.
I don't see any major weakness, except in his F sharp
Our mayor sings? Can someone please post a link, I gotta check this out!

PS - toll roads? BOOOOOO!!!

Last edited by helen; July 23rd, 2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fixing the quote tag
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Ali`i

Smile Re: Honolulu Mayor’s Race ’08

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Our mayor sings? Can someone please post a link, I gotta check this out!
Just for you, turtlegirl (and also scrivener ). The one...the only...Mufinator.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
Ali`i

Nice!! I liked it!
Question - was it a spontaneous thing or well rehearsed in advance?
I hope he won't have to be singing "I'll Remember You" after the next election!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ali`i

I've seen Mufi as an "opening act" of sorts at one of the Honolulu Pops concerts too, never knew he had an interest in singing until he became mayor.

Don't forget it runs in his blood, brother Nephi Hannemann was a top headliner in Waikiki years ago.

Aj

Fox News had this from two years ago:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231223,00.html

He's No Don Ho, But ...

HONOLULU (AP) — Honolulu Mayor Mufi Hannemann has scored a gig on a Christmas album.

The mayor, who is known to occasionally take the mike at events, sings two songs on the Royal Hawaiian Band's first Christmas recording in its 170-year history as a municipal band.

Hannemann joins local entertainers Iva Kinimaka and Nephi Hannemann, the mayor's brother, in an original composition called "Christmas Time Again, Aloha."

In addition, Hannemann sings along with the group Pali in "Do You Hear What I Hear."

The album, "Christmas with the Royal Hawaiian Band and Friends," goes on sale Tuesday.

Proceeds from the 16-track recording will go to the Royal Hawaiian Band Music Society, a nonprofit organization that supports the municipal band.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Haumana

Mayor Kobayashi? Well remember Mayor Bernard Akana on the Big Island (he of the "Don't Worry Be Happy" theme)? Anything is possible so you never know. The wild card is if the Stop Rail guys manage to get the issue on the November ballot. If that is the case the Mayor will go all out to win an outright win in the primary. I would suggest that a lot of persons who are anti-rail are also anti-Mufi. I have not seen any polling but lets assume that our island is evenly split between rain and no rail. Mayor does not want to go to a runoff in November if he does not get 50% + 1 vote becasue the would be afraid that the vast majority of anti-rail voters will also vote for his opponent. Combine that with persons who are pro-rail, but anti-Mufi (maybe they don't like his singing or his looks) then you have the makings of an upset. Anything is possible - that's what makes politics fun.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuNnL View Post
Apparently, Duke Bainum and Kirk Caldwell will “duke it out” for Kobayashi’s now vacant seat. Caldwell’s last-minute filing was so hasty, he may have left his own House seat without a Democratic contender!
There is another who is running.

George Waialeale, a former Union Representative.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Ali`i

See also, "Somebody stop the mayor."
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai123 View Post
Combine that with persons who are pro-rail, but anti-Mufi (maybe they don't like his singing or his looks) then you have the makings of an upset. Anything is possible - that's what makes politics fun.
Ultimately, it would take something mammoth for Mufi to be upset in the general. I think he will go all-out in the primary and challenge Ann and Panos “Single Issue” Prevedouros to a debate. If Brewer makes enough noise, he might convince the media to include him as well, but he’s pretty close to contracting Lillian Hong-syndrome at this point.

As I mentioned earlier, though, the bigger controversy is the chain-reaction caused by Kobayashi’s vacancy on the City Council. As KGMB9 reports, not is only Duke Bainum challenging Kirk Caldwell’s candidacy petition... the Republican Party is challenging Chrystn Eads’ punctuality. Personally, I think the larger scandal is how a part-time resident like Bainum (who returned to Arkansas after the ’04 election) got the inside scoop that Kobayashi would run for mayor.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
.That would be a tall order. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you need 50 percent plus one to avoid a runoff. My preliminary prediction is Mufi 46%, Ann 32% and Panos 16%, with 3% split among the remaining candidates, and 3% blank votes. That would force a general election runoff between Hannemann and Kobayashi.
LOL! Me thinks you are vastly overestimating the support that Kobayashi and Panos are going to get.

We'll see on primary election night.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Haumana

Yep,

I gotta agree that it's a long shot for Kobayashi or Panos to beat Mayor Mufi, but I am not sure if the Mayor can win outright in the Primary Election. We have to see hos this thing plays out.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Ali`i

Bye bye, Mufinator - indomitable killer of all things musical
Hellllooooo, Annie! - she won't even try to sing, but might listen to my plan for The Natatorium!

Oh boy!, getting rid of Bush and his buddies, no more Mufi..., things are looking up for the final day's of this country, WHHEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeee.......
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Quote:
That would be a tall order. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you need 50 percent plus one to avoid a runoff. My preliminary prediction is Mufi 46%, Ann 32% and Panos 16%, with 3% split among the remaining candidates, and 3% blank votes. That would force a general election runoff between Hannemann and Kobayashi.
LOL! Me thinks you are vastly overestimating the support that Kobayashi and Panos are going to get.
Apparently, you missed my previous post, where I revised my prediction.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Ali`i

Anyone following this race? Panos's page presents his solutions but he doesn't really seem to have solid ideas on how to fund them, especially on one hand, he's attacking the tax increases, but then on the other, he wants to build his HOT with a myriad of underpasses. The federal highway fund is predicted to be in debt by 2009, next year. Not unless the fed gas tax is raised substantially.
Old July 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Ali`i

Panos should bow out gracefully and throw his support to AK.
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai123 View Post
The wild card is if the Stop Rail guys manage to get the issue on the November ballot. If that is the case the Mayor will go all out to win an outright win in the primary.
I doubt it'll get done. Mufi's already planning on vetoeing the plan if the CC should pass it in all 3 readings. If he does veto it, it makes me wonder if it'll hurt him as it would seem he'd be thumbing his nose at the residents of Honolulu.

If AK is indeed only doing this just to spite Mufi, it's not like Mufi wouldn't do it too. To me, he's as arrogant and petty as any of the others. He tends to do that moke head bobbing and talk "smack" of those he ha....disagrees with. Never liked him from the beginning.

Personally, I think all the mayoral candidates su........are lacking.
Old July 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Personally, I think all the mayoral candidates su........are lacking.
I wholeheartedly agree.

FASI FOR MAYOR!!!