Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 26th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Ali`i

Default Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

What are you doing on the holiday today? Today is "clean and wax the car day", unexciting but needed so that the cruddy air (vog) does not eat through the paint.

We'll not make it to Punchbowl today, but did any HTers go there for Memorial Day, it is always so impressive on that day?
Old May 26th, 2008, 05:54 PM
sansei

Default Re: This holiday I am ...

hi this is sansei and today i went to punchbowl,i was ready to park my moped next to the sign where the walkway is where it lead's to the restroom and they changed where moped's could park so i was about to park it where the handicapped people parked only a another attendent says i couldnt so she told me to park it next to a motorcycle and i did and i was surprised that puncbowl changed the parking situation for moped's and motorcycle's and today was very nice when they had the nice ceremony so it drizzled slightly only it turned out nice and sunny and then i took some photo's of the missing man flyover and the 21 gun salute and then the royal hawaiian band and then after the ceremony was done,i went to the front to take photo's of the reef's and then i left so I thought to share my day with everyone.

well thank's for your time
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Kanaka

I'll tell you exactly what I did today.

I did NOTHING and I loved it!
The most strain I got today was switching the TV to BBC America, just in time for the Monty Python marathon, I might add.
Old May 26th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Ali`i

Just what I need to vent.

K-den. I'm sad cause we lost an uncle to cancer the other day.

I'm sick since I came home from the convention. Too much honi honi's. I caught a virus. Fever and chills ain't making me dance. I'm miserable. MAMA went to my eldest bruddah's hale in Aiea. Safe away from me. Just joking.

I asked PK to take me to dee hospital. He told me he would drop me off.

Da nerve!! My late husband would stay with me and hold my hand.

So I neba go. I'm delirious and wondering about in my hale. PK got his nerve to BBQ Kalbi and Chicken on the grill. Lucky I no can smell. In fact, lucky foa him I'm weak...cause I would grab da Kalbi and whack whack him in da head!

I gotta take tylenol...the fever is making me see little green men.

Auntie Lynn

I want a bowl of soup. Just plain chicken broth. Please.
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Last edited by 1stwahine; May 26th, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old May 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Ali`i

awh, auntie! sorry to hear you're not feeling well. a summer flu? add some onions and ginger to da chicken broth. good for da body. get well soon!

i watered the lawn, took the dogs for a walk and did a little gardening.

sansei: i hope you didn't mean you were going to park your moped IN the handicap stall unless of course you either have a placard (where would one display it on a moped?) or have a disability license plate. it's a hefty fine.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
awh, auntie! sorry to hear you're not feeling well. a summer flu? add some onions and ginger to da chicken broth. good for da body. get well soon!
All I wanted was Chicken Broth.

Wat did he make? Kalbi and Chicken on da grill. Den he made Spaghetti. Foa who? Only get him and me.

I can't eat da kaukau cause no moa taste....I stay sick.

No sense me grumbling. He just came in with flowers.

Still no chicken broth w/onions and ginger. ha ha ha

Auntie Lynn
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: This holiday I am

um? maybe PK seems to think that you're not going to do any cooking because you are sick? so figures that he better stock up on da food for the next several days? or, he thinks HOLIDAY, let's bbq? or, he got too many WHACK WHACKS and he went lolo?

a flower a day will help keep da docta away? ah. that's what he was thinking.

was wondering? why would someone say, "happy memorial day"? today i gave a neighbor some guavas and that's what he said to me. then he followed it up with a hug and a kiss?

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Last edited by kani-lehua; May 26th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ali`i

Eldest spawn is in town for the week-end. While we had nothing of a patriotic nature planned we did learn something interesting yesterday. A group of us got together for Sunday brunch at a beachside restaurant on a gorgeous day. My friend's husband mentioned his recently deceased father was a member of the 442nd. Wow. We toasted his dad and my dad...both WWII vets.

Saturday night ES and I joined some of my clients at the Shell for the Kathy Griffin show. Funnnnneeeeeeeee!!!!! She gave a serious shout out to the military then it was back to her celebrity bashing and the "gay picnic" that was in progress!!!

The only downer of this holiday week-end will hit in an hour when I have to take ES to the airport. I really don't like last days.

Get well soon, Auntie.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Ali`i

Northwest Folklife Festival, four days long, all over the Seattle Center. I performed in three bands on Sunday - our halau band (`ukulele/vocals), a Hawaiian group (bass guitar/`ukulele/vocals) and an `ukulele ensemble (just bass).*

The most challenging was the halau show; our kumu's father-in-law passed away a few days ago, so she and her husband (they are half the band) are on O`ahu right now. Last Tuesday night, she told me that they would be gone, and that we should assemble CDs for our dancers.

The heck with that, I said (paraphrasing); if I shifted from bass to `ukulele, I could sing 2/3 of the songs they had been practicing, and I could recruit some singers to help with the others - so I ended up getting another uke player (who also happens to be a falsetto champion from the 2002 Aloha Festivals), a singer/guitarist originally from Honolulu, and another bass player; they joined me and our regular slide guitarist. They knew most of the songs, except one we were premiering (composed by Manu Boyd at a hula camp just a few months ago), which I had to learn in three days.

We had no rehearsals - just an exchange of notes, comments, songsheets, keys, etc., over a couple days of e-mail. You know what? It was an amazingly strong show; one of our best ever. You surround yourself with professionals, and this is what can happen. It was a great day.

(*) = re: the `ukulele ensemble. Just learned about this video; be sure to stay to the end for my "special moment."

Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 27th, 2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Ali`i

Nice, Leo!! Y'all done good. Looks like ukulele is quite popular there!

Oldest stepson here today, off to Kona tonight after a day relaxing at home with us. We went to Don Ho's to eat dinner while waiting to take him to the airport. Looked at all the beautiful tropical fish in the water around the Maritime Museum.

Auntie, sorry you sick. Rest, drink lotsa fluids. You know as soon as you get better PK gonna get it. (The virus, I mean, not the whacks.)
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

Lazed around mostly, but I did make it down to Ala Moana Beach Park for the Lantern Floating festival. It was a special thing for me because I attended the festival when I first came to visit Hawaii last year. It's hard to believe that was only a year ago, it seems like ages.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:37 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
[...]We went to Don Ho's to eat dinner while waiting to take him to the airport.[...]
Didya get a chance to see any of the Seniors karaoke contest? I was asked to judge but I, too, had to go to the airport. Eldest spawn was heading home. Boo hoo.
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Ali`i

Today seemed to bring a mixture of good things, along with bad (such as TutuSue had a loved one visit, but then had to leave, but at least there was the visit! Auntie Lynn is sick from too much politics, but that is almost to be expected from politics).

My cars are clean and waxed, so I'm pleased.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Auntie Lynn is sick from too much politics, but that is almost to be expected from politics).
heheheh

Too many hours in an air-conditioned room.

Politics is FuN and Exciting!!

Auntie Lynn
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
Politics is FuN and Exciting!!
Thank goodness for people like you who are willing to go through the movements. I could not hang out in the political arena. Fun and exciting, politics??
Big gold star for Auntie for helping.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
I ended up getting another uke player (who also happens to be a falsetto champion from the 2002 Aloha Festivals)
Already found another video of our performances - this one features the halau dancing to "He Aloha No `O Wai`anae," which was sung by the falsetto champ.
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Ali`i

Hope you're feeling better, Auntie!
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Ali`i

Bummer you're sick, Auntie!! I've had this stupid cold/ flu/ virus thing for over a week now, and it makes you soooo miserable! Hope you can kick it ASAP!

I lounged at the beach all day yesterday. Down by the boat ramp, which provided nonstop entertainment! Amazing that nobody dunked their truck too badly, or lost a trailer!
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Thank goodness for people like you who are willing to go through the movements. I could not hang out in the political arena. Fun and exciting, politics??
Big gold star for Auntie for helping.
Amati, It was not all Fun getting to the convention. I was on the Committee for the HI Democratic State Convention. I was given two assignments. The Bentos and the Ministers for the Invocations.

I wrote about the Bento fiasco on my Blog.
http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog/index.php?id=1358

It didn't end there.

I submitted my report for my Ministers on April 25th. Well in advanced to the Committee. Was congratulated by the co-chair Scott Dung. To make a long story short, when I called to confirm and tell my ministers where to park they told me someone else had called them. I called the co-chair and asked what was going on. She told me the person was too powerful! There was nothing I could do. I told her "BS! Nobody is POWERFUL...except GOD!"

When I went to the Convention, I brought my Bible with me. I also bought the first lei of four. I looked for co-chair to give her the lei to present Rabbi Peter B. Schaktman. Upon seeing her I gave the lei only to have her throw the container back at me! I told her I had volunteered to donate the leis at the meeting. She raised her voice and arms and said "Oh! No!! I bought all the leis for everyone!"

I turned around and my tears flowed down from my eyes.

My Kapuna, Carolyn Wilcox and Robert Porter both long standing Party Democrats and well respected knew of the situation comforted me. In fact, Mr. Porter wrote me a check for the leis.

I returned the next day and gave back the check to him. This is what I told him.

"I forgive them...they do not know what they do."

Throughout the convention, I looked at the two women. They worked very hard. I did get a chance to tell them privately what a great job they did. I was the gopher on the Committee. I had to prove myself. Misunderstandings, not trusting, whatevas, no pilikia. All pau.

As for the Ministers I chose.

A fellow Committee Member sent me this email "The ministers who did all the invocations were very excellent."

Love and Aloha,

Auntie Lynn

P.S. Thank you all for the well wishes.

Last edited by 1stwahine; May 27th, 2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: This holiday I am...

YouTube's quite the popular phenom (yeah, yeah - like I'm telling you something you don't already know...)

Here's yet another clip of Hawaiian music at the Folklife Festival this past weekend. One of my bands, "Da Oddah Guyz," is on here (from 1:54 to 6:00); I'm playing uke and singing harmony on the first song, playing bass on the second (mostly unseen in these two), then uke and lead vocals on an excerpt of "Ipo Lei Momi" (4:46 to 6:00). *

*) ...only if you can stomach Hawaiian sung with a midwestern accent...

Last edited by Leo Lakio; May 28th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Ali`i

*bump*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Northwest Folklife Festival, four days long, all over the Seattle Center. I performed in three bands on Sunday - our halau band (`ukulele/vocals), a Hawaiian group (bass guitar/`ukulele/vocals) and an `ukulele ensemble (just bass).
I continue to do this event each year, and it's this weekend. I'm in three bands again - our halau band Sunday (bass), the `ukulele ensemble also on Sunday (playing uke, leading & singing a set of Elvis tunes), and a Hawaiian group on Monday (uke & vocals this time).
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

Choice Leo!

I'm working the weekend. A coworker took it off so I'll get O/T for Sunday.
But I do have Monday off and Mrs. Menehune, I and possibly Don will attend the Lantern Festival at Ala Moana Beach Park.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

An abandoned World War II bunker along Diamond Head Crater rim was taken over 6 years ago and turned in to a secret Marine Memorial. It was really cleaned, painted, photos-flags installed along with a story book of the men that were being honored by friends. I wasn't involved in it's creation, but today was the 2nd time I went to help clean it up. You can't get in the locked door if you find yourself up there, but can look through it's roof. The bunker used to house a search light and the roof never got closed all the way. That is also why it does get dirty inside. Hint: park at the outside of tunnel parking area and find a trail up. Good luck... don't get caught!

Flickr Set
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

Those old caves contain a large chunk of history.
Oahu is an island riddled with tunnels from volcanoes and other more recent
events.
The Red Hill fuel bunker is an example.
Old May 28th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Memorial Day Weekend: This holiday I am...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensperson View Post
Those old caves contain a large chunk of history.
Oahu is an island riddled with tunnels from volcanoes and other more recent
events.
The Red Hill fuel bunker is an example.
Oh, that's fuel? I thought it was munitions.

There exists more in our soft volcanic rocks than what greets the imagination in dreams.

Known:
1. A fully stocked and maintained hospital for military casualties out at the Kaneohe Marine base. My neighbor went there; he said it was even clean!

2. Nuclear missile silos up around the glider airport. (I've glided over them.)

3. 'Secret' projects (maybe top secret) underground at Kolekole Pass.

Assumed or alleged:
Tunnels under MCBH underwater for subs... (I think unlikely).
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.