Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > The Laboratory
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 17th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery
Thumbs down Vog UNAPPRECIATION thread

never in my life have I contemplated suicide (hyperbole, chill fam) until this frickin' vog is causing me to gag (and sometimes vomit)

If I were general manager of Hawaii, I'd sign and trade the volcano to california for earthquakes and a 8% GE plus a 5th round draft pick.

flickr
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Vog UNAPPRECIATION thread

i dunno mike? they can keep the 8% ge. looks like our beloved mayor wants us taxpayers to cough up 4 million to keep "the boat" afloat. think i heard about that on the news the other day? or, did i read it in the paper? sorry, i'd post the link but my brain is a wee bit "voggy" at the moment.

microsoft error message with haiku poetry
Old May 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Ali`i

We keep a steady supply of albuterol, loratadine, and beclomethasone for miserable times as these. I take beclomethasone every day for asthma maintenance, but the albuterol inhalers dot the house, about as much as my reading glasses do! Before she took her 4th-grade Big Isle trip last week, Kid 1 was suffering from the vog. I was amazed that it caused her eyes to get bloodshot. The doctor is having us give the girls the albuterol and the loratadine twice daily through the vog times.
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Ali`i

Tradewinds are back (albeit somewhat light) here on the windward side, and most of the vog has vanished already.
Thank you Jesus! (Or insert deity of your choice.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Ali`i

a big mahalo to the wind god/goddess. sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but them meterologists seem to think that the tradewinds will be short lived and the return of the VOG is in our very near future. cough!

Old May 18th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Ali`i

Lesse, if I sold A/C units for a living, now would be a very good time to go a prospectin' at the hospitals/medical centers and lookin' for people with asthmatic/respiratory conditions. $$$$$$!

J/K!
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Lesse, if I sold A/C units for a living, now would be a very good time to go a prospectin' at the hospitals/medical centers and lookin' for people with asthmatic/respiratory conditions. $$$$$$!

J/K!
j/k indeed. i had quite the laugh when i imagined that scenario to its likely ending. code gray, anyone?

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ali`i

From my perch, Manoa Valley is almost clear. Green prevails; white, fluffy clouds, too! Still a little haze but not enough to be lethal like this morning...couldn't see Manoa Valley AT ALL!
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
j/k indeed. i had quite the laugh when i imagined that scenario to its likely ending. code gray, anyone?
It was just another morbid joke I threw out there. Fits right next to doing a job hunt by going through the obituaries.
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
It was just another morbid joke I threw out there. Fits right next to doing a job hunt by going through the obituaries.
funny. before i met & fell in love w/eric, that's how i used to look for dates.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Kumu

It's funny how a small hole in the ground can spew that much smoke as to blanket the entire island chain. I work out in Kapolei and get a wider view of the island's land mass. It's just amazing how much crud is coming from this volcano.

Anywayz, I've had this sinus thing for over 1 month and have been seeing the doctor. Still can't figure out if I have a chronic infection, of if it's the vog. Antihistamines provide some relief, but it's never gone entirely. Darn!
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to Mike_Lowery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
It's funny how a small hole in the ground can spew that much smoke as to blanket the entire island chain. I work out in Kapolei and get a wider view of the island's land mass. It's just amazing how much crud is coming from this volcano.

Anywayz, I've had this sinus thing for over 1 month and have been seeing the doctor. Still can't figure out if I have a chronic infection, of if it's the vog. Antihistamines provide some relief, but it's never gone entirely. Darn!
the holes are huge, dude

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2002/fs144-02/

flickr
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ali`i

Took this "wide angle" photo (actually 4 shots "stitched together) yesterday...

Koko Head and crater on another voggy day, taken from Kuliou'ou Beach Park, Thursday, May 22, 2008 @ 5:30pm.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:35 PM
Ali`i

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8sDIbRAXlg

Bobinator, you might need a neti pot. Or some such cleansing. My dad had chronic sinus problems, and the ENT doc did something like this in the office for him. Now I guess you do it yourself.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:11 PM
Ali`i

so long VOG. i wonder if it's actually called LAZE? lava haze? the trades are back and it's just gorgeous in kailua today.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
so long VOG. i wonder if it's actually called LAZE? lava haze? the trades are back and it's just gorgeous in kailua today.
Volcanic fOG vs LAva haZE? Same-same, me thinks!

It sure is overcast in town but at least I can see the green cliffs of Manoa Valley!
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
Volcanic fOG vs LAva haZE? Same-same, me thinks.
me thinks the same. whatever it is............i feel LAZy today.

Old May 24th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

It seemed clearer (albiet cloudy) today in Waikiki but my roommate and I have both been having problems. I've got a nice scratchy throat at the moment, think I'll go make some tea..
Old September 15th, 2008, 09:09 PM
sansei

Red face vog lifting here in honolulu

hi this is sansei and soon the vog is lifting here in honolulu and this make's me :O) im glad since this vog make's me sneeze and sometime's wheeze and i dont think im allergic only it would have this affect on me at time's when we have vog.

well thank's for your time
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: vog lifting here in honolulu

I find the best place to be on voggy days like these is at work where there's air conditioning! I have asthma, and I'm glad to be there where I can breathe freely (when my colleagues aren't immersing every square foot of their body with scent).
Old September 16th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: vog lifting here in honolulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
I find the best place to be on voggy days like these is at work where there's air conditioning! I have asthma, and I'm glad to be there where I can breathe freely (when my colleagues aren't immersing every square foot of their body with scent).
I was on the Big Island today, at Wheel of Fortune. Kona is like soup. [No, I was not a contestant, it was work related.]
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Ali`i

Sorry to hear about every who has respiratory issues with the vog

On the plus side, the vog plus a full moon reflected over the ocean makes for a beautiful blue night.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyopicJoe View Post
the vog plus a full moon reflected over the ocean makes for a beautiful blue night.
I refuse to believe this statement, until I see visual proof in the photo-sharing thread.
Old September 16th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
I refuse to believe this statement, until I see visual proof in the photo-sharing thread.
Haha. I sense an ambush at Blowhole.
Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Kia`aina

here in kona... the officials seem to be doing nothing to inform us of the health hazards associated with vog....somedays it is horrendous.....cant see more than 1/4 mile...mixed with rain clouds.....it really seems to be changing the weather patterns here...flowers and vegetable growers have suffered heavy losses...so far the coffee seems unaffected......for those that are at resperatory risk there seems to be little being done......they say they are studying it....in ,my experience, expensive studies usually confirm the obvious and put roadblocks in the way of logical solutions....Ted Hong a senate candidate on hilo side has proposed creating places of refuge.......a shelter that is air conditioned with powerful airfilters and backup generators....at somne central location in each community here on hawaii.......i think this is a good idea...those at risk will have an option...elderly and the young and those with asthma.....and in the event there is a major eruption event we could all find shelter there........the most recent deaths from the volcano have all been breathing related...toxic low lying gasses that catch people by surprise...this could happen on a larger scale......it happenedto a large group of hawaiian warriors out on th a kau desert ...it could happen again