Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Route 808
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
The sleeping go! pilot (or communications blackout....) made national news - last night. So much for up to date - as it happens - news
I saw that, too, and was surprised that the Today Show, yesterday morning, seemed to have scooped the nightly network news.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticlady View Post
The sleeping go! pilot (or communications blackout....) made national news - last night. So much for up to date - as it happens - news
lost communications procedures are very black and white. If that were the case the pilots still can land the airplane. Not fly out towards Easter Island for an extra 15 minutes!

They were sleeping! The Mesa pilots on this forum www.mesahub.com all say the captain was often fatigued but never admitted it (i.e. he slept a lot)
Old February 23rd, 2008, 12:21 AM
Kumu

Could he be the same pilot on go! flt.1015 from Koa to Hnl the day before that lost communication with ATC!!!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
Well, considering they are inter-island flights with short hop segments, I think it be more than the HNL-ITO stage length plus 30 min. Because I don't think the planes refuel after every hop. A CRJ-200 has a range of ~1800 miles. Are you saying each go! plane takes off with less than a quarter tank each time? That would seem to be more costly to pay for fueling services each time on the ground.
here joshuatree, found this just for you...

Documents: Airlines Forcing Pilots To Fly With Low Fuel
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star of Gladness View Post
here joshuatree, found this just for you...

Documents: Airlines Forcing Pilots To Fly With Low Fuel
Your link tells me two things.

1) Every airline is guilty of doing this.
2) There's at least 45 min worth of reserve as mandated by the FAA.
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to 808shows.com
Thumbs down Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

The sleepy Go! guys were on CNN reports today too...
good thing they finally got up and did their job or this could have been a much worse story for the 41 innocent people in back of the napping quarters.
Old February 24th, 2008, 01:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808shows.com View Post
The sleepy Go! guys were on CNN reports today too...
good thing they finally got up and did their job or this could have been a much worse story for the 41 innocent people in back of the napping quarters.
The odd thing is, records show both pilots had plenty of rest time before their shift.
Old February 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
The odd thing is, records show both pilots had plenty of rest time before their shift.
You cite a report written by Mesa Airlines and printed by Jonathan Ornstein's only firiend in Hawaii, Dave Segal?

Thanks joshuatree, but i'll wait and see what the NTSB report says in a few weeks.

I'll bet you $20 the numbers and times Mesa gave Dave Segal to print end up being false.
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Question Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

The weirdest twist yet:

Mesa to rebrand go! as Aloha Airlines
Quote:
Aloha Airlines appears to be making a comeback.In a blockbuster move that is likely to send ripples through the local airline industry, Mesa Air Group said today it has settled its lawsuit with Yucaipa Cos., Aloha’s former controlling shareholder, and will rebrand go! as Aloha.
As I blogged: If you can’t beat ‘em… kill ‘em, then reanimate their corpse as a corporate zombie.
Old November 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Ali`i

I was going through the CNN's web site this week and Miles O'Brien was interviewing someone in an airplane hanger and in the background were two Aloha Airlines Boeing 737.
Old November 28th, 2008, 08:47 PM

The spoils of war goes to the deepest pocket and highest bidder.
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Ali`i

As if things couldn't get any stranger. Getting rid of the lawsuit will be nice for them, but I wonder how much good buying the name will be. The locals won't be fooled and the visitors don't care.
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
The weirdest twist yet[...]
That just plain, ol' SUCKS. Shame on Mesa/go. I'd paddle to an outer island before I'd fork over a single dollar to that company.
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
As if things couldn't get any stranger. Getting rid of the lawsuit will be nice for them, but I wonder how much good buying the name will be. The locals won't be fooled and the visitors don't care.
I think this is where the comment about putting lipstick on a pig might be appropriate? No matter what name is painted on the plane................they are still gonna be pigs!
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM

As much as everyone is bitchin' about Mesa/Go possibly buying the Aloha Airlines trademark and name, no one ever complained about the low prices they brought into the market, even when those passengers flew on Hawaiian or Aloha Airlines at the low-end Go prices during the fare war.

Most consumers were happy for the low prices that Mesa/Go did bring to the market, no matter how ridiculously low they became. Mesa/Go made a huge gamble in the market with the low fares to the point where they almost went broke themselves, lawsuits and all. But it looks like in the end, they end up winning most of the battles if not the war outright.

And sure enough, when Aloha left the passenger market, fares spiked up on both Hawaiian and Go (also Island Air and the smaller carriers) with the lowest fare hovering at around $79 and $89 for a time.

Then Mokulele decided to play with the big boys... and guess what? Fares have lowered again in a 3-way interisland jet market. $45 seem to be the going rate for now, though I think $59 is about the regular on the low end.

Bottom line no matter who the competition is, the market has proven in a 3-way race, fares will be lowered or at least stabilized at a level of less than what Hawaiian Airlines would want.

The bottom line is that this is a business, and a cut-throat one to be sure. Predatory practices and low fares have won the day for Mesa/Go and the public loved it, no matter who the casualty was along the way.
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Bottom line no matter who the competition is, the market has proven in a 3-way race, fares will be lowered or at least stabilized at a level of less than what Hawaiian Airlines would want.

The bottom line is that this is a business, and a cut-throat one to be sure. Predatory practices and low fares have won the day for Mesa/Go and the public loved it, no matter who the casualty was along the way.
Uh Mel, you're only supposed to have one bottom line, not two.

I agree with you on the substance. Cut-throat business tactics and price wars that led to the demise of Aloha Airlines are nothing new. It was what Aloha and Hawaiian did to upstarts like Mid-Pacific, Discovery, and Mahalo. It's just that the last time around, the tables were turned on Aloha as they found themselves being squeezed by the new big fish in the interisland pond, Mesa.
Old November 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

hi this is sansei and i have one opinion on this,since mesa aka go airline's forced our original aloha airline's out of business and then now they want to take the aloha name,they dont have right's is they'd be sued and they'd be forced out of business and i read on the internet when you put in yahoo on mesa go airline's that they did this to a number of companie's and they in turn were forced out by mesa aka go airline's so this is why they did this to aloha and Ata and other's here so i thought to share this true fact's with everyone.

well thank's for your time
Old November 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Uh Mel, you're only supposed to have one bottom line, not two.
Sorry for the 2 bottoms.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
Ali`i

Thumbs down Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
As much as everyone is bitchin' about Mesa/Go possibly buying the Aloha Airlines trademark and name, no one ever complained about the low prices they brought into the market, even when those passengers flew on Hawaiian or Aloha Airlines at the low-end Go prices during the fare war.

Most consumers were happy for the low prices that Mesa/Go did bring to the market, no matter how ridiculously low they became. Mesa/Go made a huge gamble in the market with the low fares to the point where they almost went broke themselves, lawsuits and all. But it looks like in the end, they end up winning most of the battles if not the war outright.

And sure enough, when Aloha left the passenger market, fares spiked up on both Hawaiian and Go (also Island Air and the smaller carriers) with the lowest fare hovering at around $79 and $89 for a time.

Then Mokulele decided to play with the big boys... and guess what? Fares have lowered again in a 3-way interisland jet market. $45 seem to be the going rate for now, though I think $59 is about the regular on the low end.

*scoffs loudly* HAH!

What $49 fare? I didn't get that coming from and going to Molokai.

I flipped my birds at all the airlines, including Hawaiian and Aloha that ditched us, and go! Express and Mokulele for not giving us the same fare as the Maui and Honolulu routes.

As for Mesa-Aloha deal, legally they can do that but I'm not buying into it. It's still Mesa. If Mokulele can drive Mesa-go! out of our inter-island business, I'm all for it.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:16 AM
Kumu

There's something terribly wrong about Go! using Aloha's trade name after what they did.

My business goes to Island Air.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Kumu

Judge King blocks Mesa from using the Aloha Airlines name till Feb.09. What a blow to go! and Yucaipa.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:55 PM
Ali`i

I loved the judge's response, "takes the term Aloha and turns it on its head" and including the statement, "is it all about money?" And the attorneys..."Yes, it's about the money."

Good judge; good to see one that doesn't fall into the "lenient" category.
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composite 2992 View Post
My business goes to Island Air.
I would go to Island Air if they would lengthen their seat belt without my having to ask for an extender.

Mokulele's Cessna Caravan -- smaller than Island Air's Dash-8 -- have seat belts that can accommodate my girth ... without an extender.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old December 6th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Ali`i

If Go Airlines can't get the Aloha name. Why not go with AHOLA? It worked with a company called HARPO.
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Hawaii's Interisland Air War - Chapter 5

hi this is sansei and i just heard on the news that the two pilot's of go airline's told the truth when they shared that they did fall asleep and that the co-pilot was asleep only he knew what was going on,only he wasnt able to respond and they both were fired and The Chief who responded said he couldnt believe what he read on the NTSB about the truth of the pilot's of Go-airline's so I thought to share this truth with everyone.

Im Still hoping Go-airline's doesnt get aloha's name is if this what will happen with their pilot's,no telling that their could be a mishap or serious accident,may anyone agree?

Well thank's for your time