Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Superferry - Chapter 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
When I asked former CEO John Garibaldi about the 2nd ship this past May, he said that progress on the ship at that time was about 2/3 done. So yes, another Superferry will be navigating Hawaii waters in a few months.
Latest update on the 2nd ship. Looks like ship is 75% done and will be servicing the Big Isle in May.
Old August 7th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Haumana

I had the chance to ride the Superferry last week to Maui. Here's a review I wrote of my experience for my blog:

And so the Maui journey begins by catching the Hawaii Superferry. Weíre about 20 minutes into the 3 hour journey and so far no ďAloha SpillsĒ, apparently Aloha Spill is Superferry talk for barf. OK scratch that, a kid a few feet ahead of me is being led to the barf zone with a barf bag. Might this be the Aloha Spill I have been waiting for!

Boarding the ferry was quick and simple. No line and all we needed were our boarding passes and IDís. They should just skip having us print out the boarding pass and just cross check our IDís with their computers. It would be much greener that way.

We chose not to bring our car which ment that we paid just 49 bucks each way. Not bad considering a flight would have cost about 20 dollars more.
One mistake we did make though was assuming that coolers were not allowed. They are allowed. And so now were are stuck with a warm 12 pack. Our bad.
The fascilities are clean and the staff is quite nice and friendly. And they have an abundance of flat screen tvís throughout the cabins playing Sportscenter. Awesome!

Update:
OK, we are two hours into the Superferry ride. I fell asleep for about an hour. Iím gonna head to the outer deck to see what the view is like.

The outer deck on the Alakai is quite nice. The sides of the ships are a bit windy and the rear of the ship will you get you wet. If you do ride the Superferry I would suggest stepping outside once a while. First of all, itís not as cold as the ferry interior and secondly it is a calming experience, at least for me it was. If you step out just after the ferry departs Honolulu youíll get to see a nice view of Honolulu Harbor and Diamond Head.

The restrooms are small with just one toilet and one urinal. I could imagine lines during peak peeing periods like just after departure.

The concession stand was stocked with lots of goodies like sandwiches, musubiís and saimin. You also get a good selection of pastries to choose from. Beware though, prices on the Superferry are at a premium. $2.50 for a musubi. Ouch!
For those who fear getting sea sick, the Superferry offers free Ginger pills and Dramamine for purchase. I didnít have an issue with the too and fro motion but others did. If unsure as to whether or not youíll get sick, take the pills.

All in all the journey aboard the Superferry was a pleasant one. The downside for me was the speed of the journey, or should I say the lack of. Other than that, Iíd definitely recommend it as a means traveling to and from the islands.
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Ali`i

Are there still Superferry protesters now that interisland air travel is now double the price since the closure of Aloha Airlines?

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; August 7th, 2008 at 04:40 AM. Reason: add
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menehune Man View Post
Thread Drift from me...

Costs for an escape for two trip to Maui from Oahu.

$49 each both ways = $196
Car both ways = $130
Premium Lounge upgrade ( C'mon ya wanna!) = $75.84
Taxes and fees(once)= $39.72
Total= $441.56

We're goin' Early Aug.8th @ 6:30am and leaving Maui late(second trip) @ 8pm on Aug.10th.

Of course since I drive a moped...
I'm renting a car from the day before and keeping it a week to enjoy afterwards too!

Hotel's set up too!

Ahhhh a romantic getaway to Maui!!!
What a life, eh?!
Both my wife and I are packed, ready to go!
Just need to go get the rental car in a few hours.
Early tomarrow morning cruise.
Will let you know how it went when we return.
Aloha!
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs up Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Quote:
Will let you know how it went when we return.
Aloha!
I feel that our trip to Maui was enhanced incredibly by taking the SuperFerry over flying there.

We brought much more with us than we could've by plane (had a stocked cooler too!). And comfortably bought what goodies we wished to bring home without worrying about "having too much". Of course we left all stones there. HaHa!

The ride both ways was very enjoyable.
Daytime sailing over... seeing Oahu, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Maui was Beautiful!
We returned on the late sail, leaving Maui at 8pm and getting here at 11pm last night. Awesome view of Hawaii Kai, Waikiki and Honolulu!

Try it.... you'll like it!
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Keiki

Last week I was with a friend who is taking the Superferry in early December--she got a phone call telling her that the Superferry was cancelling its second daily sailing. Anybody hear anything more about this?

They offered to refund her money or reschedule her on the 6:30 a.m. departure.
Old August 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii Super Ferry Bust!

Quote:
Daytime sailing over... seeing Oahu, Moloka'i, Lana'i and Maui was Beautiful!
Get photos? [/hint]
Welcome back!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Ali`i

According to the SuperFerry web site, the second voyage of the day will end on September 2, 2008. Pending PUC approval they are planning on offerring the 2nd voyage of the day only on Friday and Sunday and even then it's limited between September 3 to November 30, 2008.
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Ali`i

It looks like the Hawaii Superferry has delayed service to the Big Island for a year.

Hawaii Superferry this afternoon announced that it is postponing the introduction of its second ship and the start of service to the Big Island for about one year because of the uncertain economic climate.
Advertisement

The company said it will delay putting a second ship into service for a year when the company anticipates the financial and economic climate will be more conducive to starting the new route. Superferry had earlier anticipated the second ship arriving in the Islands in March.
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaguy View Post
It looks like the Hawaii Superferry has delayed service to the Big Island for a year.

Hawaii Superferry this afternoon announced that it is postponing the introduction of its second ship and the start of service to the Big Island for about one year because of the uncertain economic climate.
Advertisement

The company said it will delay putting a second ship into service for a year when the company anticipates the financial and economic climate will be more conducive to starting the new route. Superferry had earlier anticipated the second ship arriving in the Islands in March.
that sucks!!! i'm waiting for the superferry to the big island!!!
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Ali`i

Default Nearing the bottom line...

...the muck way underneath the surface is becoming clear to all.

http://www.starbulletin.com/20081220...erry_mess.html

But I believe their is still much more to the 'real' story to be unveiled.

Last edited by Ron Whitfield; December 20th, 2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

Might want to think twice about bashing the ferry. YB wants the customer to bend over some more.
Old December 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Ali`i

Default I'm all for the ferry...

...I've wanted something like this for decades, for many reasons. But this admin. has done it the wrong way, the whole way, and still defends it all.
A most important need for a ferry of this type is in case of civil disasters, where the thing can be stocked up with heavy equipment and sent straight to the problem areas, like after a hurricane, and unload bulldozers etc. and medicals straight away and relieve the residents asap. But I doubt the current example is fitted with the ramps that would be needed to accomplish the mission.

Per YB, what's new? They've had us by the clam shells for ages.
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM

Superferry was used early this year to transport Hawaii National Guard equipment over to Maui to clean up from floods that happened there.
Old December 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Ali`i

When all that heavy equipment was sent to Maui to help out, I didn't hear Mayor Tavares or any of the activists utter a peep against the Super Ferry.

I also noticed that the YB rate hike didn't mention the proposed rates for shipping automobiles between the islands. That would have provided a good reference point between YB and SF as far as those costs go.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
When all that heavy equipment was sent to Maui to help out, I didn't hear Mayor Tavares or any of the activists utter a peep against the Super Ferry.

I also noticed that the YB rate hike didn't mention the proposed rates for shipping automobiles between the islands. That would have provided a good reference point between YB and SF as far as those costs go.

On YB's website, current rate for O/W is $178-$207 for cars between 2,501-4,000 lbs to/from Honolulu. That covers the majority of cars. Just add 17.9% as YB is proposing.

It's $65 for a typical vehicle on HSF, while cheapest rate for the pax is $49 so lowest would be around $114.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 04:27 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
On YB's website, current rate for O/W is $178-$207 for cars between 2,501-4,000 lbs to/from Honolulu. That covers the majority of cars. Just add 17.9% as YB is proposing.

It's $65 for a typical vehicle on HSF, while cheapest rate for the pax is $49 so lowest would be around $114.
And, of course, with the Superferry, you get to drive your car right now, as opposed to dropping it off, and figuring out how to retrieve it later. And it's not like things get stolen from your vehicle if it isn't firmly screwed down or glued in.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
Care to elaborate on whatever point you're making?
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
Care to elaborate on whatever point you're making?
When Super Ferry was involved in something that was in the interest of or for the benfit of Maui, they had NO complaints! Otherwise, they'd complain about everything from alleged or potential traffic jams, stolen river rocks, invasive species, not being informed about second trips, etc. You couldn't decipher that?
Old December 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Ali`i

So...you think the activists should be complaining when the SuperFerry does something good for Island residents (I'm not implying that the regular service isn't a good thing)? You really think that people who hold viewpoints different from yours are stupid enough to see their concerns and issues in simple terms of black or white only?
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Ali`i

Default Thank you, Leo...

...I was busy getting my protest signs ready for Santa...
Old January 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Ali`i

The draft environmental impact statement is now available. Article from Na Wai Ola Loa on-line newsletter of the Office of Hawaiian Affairs
--------------------
The Hawai'i Superferry's potential impacts on humpback whales, cultural resources, and traffic Ė and its proposed corrective measures Ė are outlined in a newly released draft environmental impact statement for large-capacity interisland ferries.

Comments must be postmarked by Feb. 23 and sent to two addresses: Ms. Katherine Kealoha, Director, Office of Environmental Quality Control, 235 S. Beretania St., Suite 702, Honolulu, HI 96813. It should also be mailed to: Mr. Michael D. Formby, Deputy Diretor, DOT Harbors Division, 79 S. Nimitz Highway, Honolulu, HI 96813.

To download the draft EIS online, visit hawaii.gov/dot/harbors. Hard copies are available at all regional and selected public libraries and may be borrowed at the state Office of Environmental Quality Control at the address above. Paper copies are available for a reproduction fee by writing to: Belt Collins Hawai'i, 2153 N. King St., Suite 200, Honolulu, HI 96819, Attn: Ms. Lesley A. Matsumoto. Belt Collins will provide copies on CD free of charge.
Closed Thread