Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:02 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Star Trek

Quote:
Tiberius
The Tiberius cologne, named in honor of the Mirror Universe James T. Kirk’s challenges users to "Boldly Go" with a perfume described as being spiked with "notes of freshness and sensuality." According to Genki Wear, the perfume has sweet citron zest, black pepper, and cedar as its top notes (top notes refers to those scents that are noticeable first) and warm vanilla, white musk, and sandalwood as its base notes (scents perceived last, usually about a half hour after application). Genki Wear promises that "Tiberius Cologne for men is difficult to define and impossible to refuse" which is also a pretty good description of the Mirror Kirk himself.

Quote:
Red Shirt
Genki’s "Red Shirt" cologne (whose tag line "Because Tomorrow May Never Come" is priceless) celebrates the sacrifices of those often nameless crew of the USS Enterprise. Described appropriately as a cologne for those with a "devotion to living each day as it could be your last" the cologne has top notes of green mandarin, bergamot, and lavender, with base notes of leather and grey musk.
Did anybody see the products that are coming out with the movie? The colognes from Genki are my favorites . I need to get my wife Pon Farr
Quote:
Ponn Farr
The most risqué titled of the new Star Trek fragrances is "Ponn Farr" which is a perfume designed to "drive him wild." It should only be used once every seven years (okay, that isn’t true). Named for the Vulcan mating ritual first introduced in the episode "Amok Time," this perfume is one of the newly designed products meant to appeal to female fans. More details and an image on Ponn Farr will be available soon.
They come out next month...

source

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Ali`i

A fourth trailer is out on the Apple Movie Trailer site and is being shown at the Ward Theater during the showing of the Watchmen movie.
Old March 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
Did anybody see the products that are coming out with the movie? The colognes from Genki are my favorites . I need to get my wife Pon Farr

They come out next month...
And once every seven years.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:39 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
I need to get my wife Pon Farr
They come out next month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
And once every seven years.
*cocks her best spock-brow*

okay, after reading this entry from slate, i hereby declare that i will see the movie, despite my misgivings. apparently, the story is one of those alternate reality sort of things where some evil romulan who blames spock for the destruction of his planet goes back, back, back waaaaaaaaay back in time to kill spock to sate his thirst for revenge.

said evil romulan is played by eric bana. mmmm mmmm mmmm! he is, in my opinion, one of the few men on this earth (besides my own eric, of course) as compelling to me as an vina was to captain pike.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Kia`aina

cynsaligia, thanks for the link!

I, too, had my reservations-- but after reading the Slate review, J.J. Abrams' interpretation of this "alternate reality / prequel" actually sounds quite promising.

We'll just have to see for ourselves, won't we? *hopeful*
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubi View Post
cynsaligia, thanks for the link!

I, too, had my reservations-- but after reading the Slate review, J.J. Abrams' interpretation of this "alternate reality / prequel" actually sounds quite promising.

We'll just have to see for ourselves, won't we? *hopeful*
I'm kinda worried about the actor who will play Scotty. He doesn't have that much hair on him. Does that mean he'll be wearing a wig for appearance's sake in the sequel?

I mean, you can find Scottish actors with a full coif.

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:14 AM
Ali`i

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/getb...-then-now.html

An update on the original cast who are still living.
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Ali`i

I went to the 7pm showing of Star Trek at the Ward Theater today. The attendance was decent but not crowded (I am guessing it was 30 to 40% filled).

As far as the movie itself overall it's average and decent, there are some good parts to it, some stuff that doesn't make sense but it doesn't hit you until after you seen the movie.
Old May 8th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
I'm kinda worried about the actor who will play Scotty. He doesn't have that much hair on him. Does that mean he'll be wearing a wig for appearance's sake in the sequel?

I mean, you can find Scottish actors with a full coif.
SCENE FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR OF STAR TREK:

scotty (looking down wryfully at the clumps of hair in his hands): eem sorrrrrrry kepten! ay jest can't hold her all tuhgethur!

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynsaligia View Post
SCENE FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR OF STAR TREK:

scotty (looking down wryfully at the clumps of hair in his hands): eem sorrrrrrry kepten! ay jest can't hold her all tuhgethur!
ROFLMAO!!!

*kicks feet, gasping for air*
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Ali`i

personally, i thought the movie was a good solid B, esp if you really like the star trek tv series and subsequent movies. a number of BIG surprises that i loved. never saw it coming. wish i could say more but i don't wanna spoil it for anyone planning to watch it.

great to see the main characters in their younger years, the little expressions and body movements that would later characterize them.

by the way, SNL had a funny salute to the new star trek movie tonight....
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Kumu

I saw this yesterday at the Dole Cannery in IMAX. I was kind of amazed to find that the IMAX presentation costs $15. That's a lot for a movie. But I will say that IMAX was definitely the way to see this movie. Lots of great sights and sounds. I thought it was fun.
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Ali`i

Is there a need for a show spoiler alert? I don't think anyone of the main characters is going to die. Unless, you search for him on a sequel.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Ali`i

Saw it again this morning (my 3rd time) with Albert and another friend at the Ward Theater.

I might try seeing the IMAX version at Dole sometime this week.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Kumu

I caught it in IMAX today. I LOVED it.

I'm about as big a Star Trek fan as you can be without going to conventions and speaking in Klingon. In fact, in many ways, I'm more of a hardcore Trekkie than some of those folks.

I'd read rumors that JJ Abrams really screwed with the mythos, and many of us Trekkies will not like what he's done. I can't imagine any fan would feel that way. I think what he's done is genius. The franchise was in desperate need of a reboot, and I think he's pulled it off brilliantly.

I'm looking forward to the next movie.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Ali`i

zff, i'm glad to hear that you loved it. i wouldn't wanna be accused of spoiling it for someone who hasn't seen it yet but wouldn't you agree that there were some great surprises in the movie? i consciously avoided reading anything about the movie before watching it so you can imagine my surprise, for example, at the cave scene! what the?!? yahoooooo! and like i mentioned earlier, i appreciated the way they showed us what these characters were like before they were "adults"; i appreciate the idea that they are revealed as imperfect individuals, not as flawless characters. and the relationship between ____ and ____ ! jeez, i did NOT see that one coming! lots more could be said but i'll just end by saying that one scene that i WISH were in this movie is seeing "kumar" walk past "harold" in some hallway with "harold" turning as if to say, "do i know that guy?!?"
Old May 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Ali`i

Attended the IMAX version of Star Trek at Dole Cannery tonight. It wasn't that crowded.

One thing I did noticed this time around, in the middle of the movie on the bridge of the Enterprise there is a guy that looks like Kal Penn. He doesn't have any lines.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Ali`i

I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role. The movie had a bit too much brawn, not enough brain for my taste.
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role.
I gotta check this out - I know my accents well; I'll back you up, s'ed, if I get the same impression.
Old May 15th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoned View Post
I saw a cam version and was thoroughly irked by Pegg giving an Irish accent to a Scot's role. The movie had a bit too much brawn, not enough brain for my taste.
I don't know what a 'cam' version is, but I am a regular reader of a popular UK message board of all things digital (digital spy) and there are many threads on Star trek. I've not heard that comment from anyone. Most seem to be highly complimentary of simon pegg's role. the only negative comment I've seemed to have heard is that he was too 'hyper'. But not any comment about an Irish accent. I'm no expert but Id like to think I could tell an Irish vs. a scottish accent and that isnt anything that came to mind with me.

My guess is that he'd know better than us on the accent he was portraying?

anyhooooo.. I LOVED this film. and I would not consider me a big fan in the slightest i.e. not a trekkie nor have extensively watched any of the series. Saw it at the Dole in Imax. I just thought the whole film was sensational. Even breathtaking. Definately going to see it again soon.
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:33 AM
sansei

Red face Re: Star Trek

hi,im sansei and im also a trekkie fan and i remember in the 70's that when The station's who carried the original star trek was the best and i thought no one could replace it only this new one maybe good only i havent seen it yet and the person who play's spock may do a good job only no one can replace lenoard nimoy he's the original spock and look's great doing his part. i do miss bone's and montgomery scott who were the main player's in the original star trek. god bless you both!

Well thank's for your time
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Kumu

It's a great ride and was everything and more than I expected! I'm seeing it again this weekend.

YOU HAVE TO DO IMAX!

Attached is a cell phone cam pic of mine whilst waiting for the show to start.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4164_1098450954131_1612357267_228767_1053891_n.jpg (12.1 KB, 5 views)
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Ali`i

Wink Re: Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
As far as the movie itself overall it's average and decent, there are some good parts to it, some stuff that doesn't make sense but it doesn't hit you until after you seen the movie.
I finally got there on Sat. the 16th, and had a similar reaction.

I did enjoy it, but some of the stuff was... complex, confusing and questionable. Time travel/alternate universes/inefficient spacecraft design.... Plus the old 'meeting your older/younger self' conflict.

The future spacecraft was cool, however.

Once was enough, but I'm glad I went. Some of the casting was spot on!

And, now we know: Romulans are descended from Maori Spacefarers.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
I finally got there on Sat. the 16th, and had a similar reaction.

I did enjoy it, but some of the stuff was... complex, confusing and questionable. Time travel/alternate universes/inefficient spacecraft design.... Plus the old 'meeting your older/younger self' conflict.

The future spacecraft was cool, however.

Once was enough, but I'm glad I went. Some of the casting was spot on!

And, now we know: Romulans are descended from Maori Spacefarers.

as are bounty hunters and their clones in star wars. they once were warriors.

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Ali`i

Well, maybe I should qualify my review of Pegg's accent - to my ear, it sounds like an Irishman affecting a Scot's accent. Then again, what can you expect from an Englishman?