Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 30th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
The thought came in mind when remembering that an Emmy award winner was angry when making his speech.
Is it necessary to keep creating new threads with a slightly different subject when the old one will do?
No, it's not. I thought (in post #141) that you were trying to think of a one season TV series where the actor made an angry Emmy speech. My mistake.

Quote:
Judd Hirsch is currently on the tv series Numb3ers. I can't think of any other tv series he was on since Taxi.
He was also in the late 1980s TV series, Dear John. It was a remarkable show that was able to find delightful humor about a sensitive topic; divorce.
Old March 30th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Kanaka

Default Re: TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should

I watched Dear John and I remember that I really loved it but can't remember much about it now other than the topic of divorce and I think they usually met at a therapist's office?

I really wish thirtysomething, The Wonder Years, and China Beach would all be released on DVD in their entirety. I have the complete series of thirtysomething on DVD that someone taped when it reran on Lifetime, so I'm glad just to have it any way I can. I just wish it could have an official DVD release. It's yet another show that remains unreleased due to music rights. I don't think any of them will see a release due to the music rights issues, but I sure wish something could be done to figure it out with the music intact.

Youtube has several eps of The Wonder Years and I enjoyed watching it even more from the perspective I've gained since my high school years when it originally ran.

Evening Shade was another great, well-written, quality show. Hal Holbrook always brings the awesome to anything he does. Its been released, but only for the first season.

Family, with James Broderick and Sada Thompson (phenomenal actress, does theatre mostly) has its first two seasons available and I have them, but I'd like to get the last two seasons. I wanna see the probably cheesetastic ep where Buddy (Kristy McNichol) decides not to have sex with Leif Garrett!

One Day at Time is another one that only offers the first or 1st/2nd season and I'd like to see more, but it got really hackneyed and cliched by the end of the series.

No one probably remembers Angie, and I highly doubt there's a market for it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't all that great, but for nostalgic reasons I'd love to see it again, if it were really, really cheap.

Rhoda is another one I wish would come out on DVD. Really, I think I just want all these shows for nostalgic reasons, but it would be nice if they were offered.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeleiGrrrl View Post
I watched Dear John and I remember that I really loved it but can't remember much about it now other than the topic of divorce and I think they usually met at a therapist's office?
Basically, the show followed the lives of members of a support group for newly divorced people. The characters were hilarious and every episode dwelled around problems that all divorcess can relate to. But of course, many people eventually re-marry and do find happiness in real life, and so did the fictional characters in Dear John. So that program was not destined for a long existence.

Quote:
One Day at Time is another one that only offers the first or 1st/2nd season and I'd like to see more, but it got really hackneyed and cliched by the end of the series.
ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend. While the move probably delighted the women's lib crowd, writing Masur's character out of the storylines seemed to have the effect of giving Pat Harrington's janitor character too much screen time.

But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance. At first, she was suspended and ordered to rehab. Then she later returned, but within a year, relapsed again and was fired from the show. While a newcomer watching ODAAT in syndication might pick on the show for being uneven in quality towards the end, they might not be aware that it was a minor miracle that the producers and writers were somehow able to continue putting out episodes on schedule, despite all the upheaval and turmoil going on behind the scenes.

Quote:
Rhoda is another one I wish would come out on DVD. Really, I think I just want all these shows for nostalgic reasons, but it would be nice if they were offered.
The first season of Rhoda finally is coming out in a couple of months, along with the complete Mary Tyler Moore Show set. But the final two season of the 1970s Bob Newhart Show (another program from the MTM production stable) remains in limbo.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
I don't think I'm being "feistily argumentative," anymore than you are.
To put it simply: when you have questions about what a poster says, you tend not to pose those questions, concerns or disagreements in a manner that is respectful of that poster's statements. Instead, you often dart around, changing the focus of your comments in order to prolong argument with them, even though it is possible (gasp!) that there are people posting to this board who actually know more than you do on a specific topic, and post based on their knowledge, experience and information, rather than speculation or a Google/Wikipedia search.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
To put it simply: when you have questions about what a poster says, you tend not to pose those questions, concerns or disagreements in a manner that is respectful of that poster's statements. Instead, you often dart around, changing the focus of your comments in order to prolong argument with them, even though it is possible (gasp!) that there are people posting to this board who actually know more than you do on a specific topic, and post based on their knowledge, experience and information, rather than speculation or a Google/Wikipedia search.
Leo, in case you didn't take the time to read post #151 in this thread, I did admit I made a mistake and that I did misunderstand WB's earlier question.

You accuse me of prolonging arguments. Yet, who's the one kicking this dead horse now?
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Judd Hirsch is currently on the tv series Numb3ers. I can't think of any other tv series he was on since Taxi.
Oddly enough he was in another sitcom series on CBS with Bob Newhart and Jason Bateman which only lasted for a season.

I had to check IMDb on this entry because I couldn't remember the series name of George & Leo.
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Yet, who's the one kicking this dead horse now?
In case you didn't notice - you still seem to have your kicking-boots on, too.

Anyone else remember "Hot l Baltimore"? Lasted a half-season in 1975, was a Norman Lear creation (based on a successful play), but flopped on tv. I recall that it may have been the first U.S. sitcom to depict a gay couple. (The title refers to a neon sign for the "Hotel Baltimore," but with the "e" in "Hotel" burned-out.)
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend.
After all this time, I don't remember any of that.

Quote:
But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance.
I'll agree with that. Without MP's character, there just wasn't much to work with. I rapidly lost interest at that point.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
ODAAT, I thought, suffered when Richard Masur left the show. But the producers wanted Bonnie Franklin's character to be more independent and not tied down to one boyfriend. While the move probably delighted the women's lib crowd, writing Masur's character out of the storylines seemed to have the effect of giving Pat Harrington's janitor character too much screen time.

But ODAAT's "jump the shark" moment came when Mackenzie Phillips' drug problems started affecting her work performance. At first, she was suspended and ordered to rehab. Then she later returned, but within a year, relapsed again and was fired from the show. While a newcomer watching ODAAT in syndication might pick on the show for being uneven in quality towards the end, they might not be aware that it was a minor miracle that the producers and writers were somehow able to continue putting out episodes on schedule, despite all the upheaval and turmoil going on behind the scenes.
Oh, how I absolutely heart Richard Masur. I would love to see him in more film/tv but he mostly does theatre in NY now, or at least, it seems.

I was really little when ODAAT came out, but even I was aware of Phillips' issues at the time. I could swear I can still picture a People magazine cover story about it. I still remember the ep where Julie took off with her boyfriend Chuck, in a blue van, IIRC. See, I can remember this stuff, but the important details in my daily life? Fuggedaboutit.

When ODAAT was on, my parents were divorced (they actually ended up re-marrying each other, but that's another thread, I guess ) and it was me, my big sis, and my Mom living together. We used to pretend that my sis was Julie, I was Barbara, and mom was Annie.

Quote:
The first season of Rhoda finally is coming out in a couple of months, along with the complete Mary Tyler Moore Show set. But the final two season of the 1970s Bob Newhart Show (another program from the MTM production stable) remains in limbo.
Yaaaay!! I just hope they release more than one season! I loved Rhoda and her scarves. I still wear scarves as do-rags when I don't feel like doing my hair. One of my favorite lines from that show was when Rhoda was about to eat a brownie or a piece of chocolate and said "Why do I even bother. I should just apply this directly to my hips!" I use that one all the time when I eat something I know I shouldn't.

Quote:
Anyone else remember "Hot l Baltimore"? Lasted a half-season in 1975, was a Norman Lear creation (based on a successful play), but flopped on tv. I recall that it may have been the first U.S. sitcom to depict a gay couple. (The title refers to a neon sign for the "Hotel Baltimore," but with the "e" in "Hotel" burned-out.)
I don't remember the show, but the play it's based on is by Lanford Wilson.

Last edited by KeleiGrrrl; March 30th, 2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:00 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
He was also in the late 1980s TV series, Dear John. It was a remarkable show that was able to find delightful humor about a sensitive topic; divorce.
I used to watch that show and forgot that Judd Hirsch played the main character. I just remembered the Jere Burns' character who stole scenes on the show.

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; March 31st, 2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: add
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:26 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Since I am listed as the originator of this post, may I request that it be retitled something grammatically correct, such as "TV Series That Haven't Been Released on DVD but Should Be?" Thank you.
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
I used to watch that show and forgot that Judd Hirsch played the main character. I just remembered the Jere Burns' character who stole scenes on the show.
What I remember is that the theme song was sung by Wendy and Mary, a wonderful folk-pop duo whose "The Wind Came Singing" is a CCM classic. Great theme song.
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: TV Series that haven't been released to DVD but should be?

The recent release of the complete Beat-Club TV series (a German pop/rock music show from the 1960s & '70s) on DVD has brought to mind another show that is still in limbo. Night Flight was a USA Network program that run during the 1980s, featuring very eclectic forms of entertainment. It had music videos that ran all the way from the then "new-wave" artists like Devo and Split Enz, all the way to the aforementioned Beat-Club clips featuring the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, and the MC5. Besides the music, there were an unpredictable array of clips from horror flicks, comedy shorts, Japanese anime, and underground film-makers. I am aware of some bootleg collections on DVD-R that are sold on the net, but it would be nice to have an official set of the material, taken from pristine sources.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
(or at least really want on DVD)

Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1990-1993, 73 episodes)
This show came to mind with the death of John Hughes. This series was similiar, but better than the Ferris Bueller's Day Off tv series.
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
"The State" - sketch comedy show that ran a few seasons on MTV; potential DVD release has been held up for years due to negotiations over the rights.
One more down - just came out a couple weeks ago, in a multi-disc set with scads of bonus material.

Now...I still want the UK sketch-comedy show, "Alas Smith & Jones."
Old August 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
Kumu

Dancing With The Stars... not for me, but my Mom and friend love that show. It would make a great gift.
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Ali`i

Vanishing Son!
Old September 7th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Ali`i

Having the complete series of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert on DVD would be the ultimate holy grail for a 1970s music lover. A few years ago, VH-1 replayed a handful of episodes, and the sound/picture quality look well preserved.

Speaking of music shows from that same era, DVD compilations of Midnight Special, The Old Grey Whistle Test (UK), and Musikladen (Germany) have already been released, but the clips are all chopped up and scattered on many discs. It would be nice to have complete episodes of these series, wherever copyright clearance would allow.
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Having the complete series of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert on DVD would be the ultimate holy grail for a 1970s music lover. A few years ago, VH-1 replayed a handful of episodes, and the sound/picture quality look well preserved.

Speaking of music shows from that same era, DVD compilations of Midnight Special, The Old Grey Whistle Test (UK), and Musikladen (Germany) have already been released, but the clips are all chopped up and scattered on many discs. It would be nice to have complete episodes of these series, wherever copyright clearance would allow.
I have tons of complete Midnight Specials and Don Kirshner's RC shows on 3/4inch, beta, etc. in addition to screeners I've had to view for pre-production
purpose.

In my opinion, those were the best music shows of the era, along with American Bandstand and ABC's In Concert.

Aj
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ali`i

http://poobala.com/laughin.html

Laugh in(1979)
There is a break out star in the cast who you might heard of later in his career.
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
http://poobala.com/laughin.html

Laugh in(1979)
There is a break out star in the cast who you might heard of later in his career.
Robin Williams, I got this one on beta. The original LAUGH IN, much better!

Aj
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Ali`i

Another famously failed revivial was Redd Foxx's Sanford. (This is not to be confused with the absolutely dreadful Sanford Arms.) Three years after the original Sanford & Son went off the air, Foxx reprised his role as the cantankerous junkyard owner..... but this time, without Lamont (Demond Wilson). Taking Lamont's place as Fred Sanford's sidekick was a fat tub redneck named Cal (Dennis Burkley). Meh! It just wasn't the same. The show lasted only a year. It was only then that people came to apprieciate Wilson's talent as a straight man for Foxx's jokes and antics. The chemistry between Foxx and Burkley just wasn't there. But despite this, there were still some hilarious moments between Fred and some of the characters carried over from the original series, like Aunt Esther, Rollo, and Grady.

Serious thought should be given to releasing Sanford on DVD. Unlike the first series, Sanford has never been widely syndicated and so its been many years since people have seen these episodes. I think that a fair number of S&S fans will snap this up on DVD, just as they did in big numbers for the original show.
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Another famously failed revivial was Redd Foxx's Sanford.
Redd Foxx had a variety show. There was a comic on the show who kept on saying that you doesn't have to call him Johnson.
Old September 21st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Ali`i

Does anyone here remember Early Edition? I used to watch it in the 90s, and now they're airing the reruns on something called "FAMNET". Too bad it only lasted 4 seasons, I thought it was a great show. I'm glad Kyle Chandler was able to find more work via Friday Night Lights.

They have the first 2 seasons on DVD already, hopefully they'll release 3 and 4.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Redd Foxx had a variety show. There was a comic on the show who kept on saying that you doesn't have to call him Johnson.
Yes. He did beer ads with that routine too. Years ago he appeared in the old Hilton Dome with Don Ho and also The Aliiis.

Aj