Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Tube
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
Kumu

Default Re: TV Series You NEED to Get on DVD

I found these episodes:
Code:
Wonder Years - 1x01 - Pilot
Wonder Years - 1x02 - Swingers
Wonder Years - 1x03 - My Father's Office
Wonder Years - 1x04 - Angel
Wonder Years - 1x05 - The Phone Call
Wonder Years - 1x06 - Dance With Me
Wonder Years.s2e007 - The Heart Of Darkness
Wonder Years.s2e008 - Our Miss White
Wonder Years.s2e009 - Christmas
Wonder Years.s2e010 - Steady as She goes
Wonder Years.s2e011 - Just Between me and you and Kirk and Paul and Carla and Becky
Wonder Years.s2e012 - Pottery Will Get You Nowhere
Wonder Years.s2e013 - Coda
Wonder Years.s2e014 - Hiroshima, Mon Frere
Wonder Years.s2e015 - Loosiers
Wonder Years.s2e016 - Walk Out
Wonder Years.s2e017 - Nemesis
Wonder Years.s2e018 - Fate
Wonder Years.s2e019 - Birthday Boy
Wonder Years.s2e020 - Brightwings
Wonder Years.s2e021 - Square Dance
Wonder Years.s2e022 - Whose Woods are These
Wonder Years.s2e023 - How I'm spending my summer vacation
Old September 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
The boxart looks sweet
Whole lotta details on set 1 here, set 2 here, and set 3 here.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Kumu

Hawaii Five-O, Season 2, episodes 1-25 are being posted now (9/25) in the newsgroup alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
Hawaii Five-O, Season 2, episodes 1-25 are being posted now (9/25) in the newsgroup alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows.
Does it include the lost episode, "Bored, She Hung Herself?"
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Does it include the lost episode, "Bored, She Hung Herself?"
It should be episode 16 in the season two boxed set that came out in July.
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
It should be episode 16 in the season two boxed set that came out in July.
If you look up the "Hawaii Five-0" thread, you'll find some discussion saying that Bored, She Hung Herself was NOT a part of the official 2nd season DVD box set. And in fact, it is missing.

I happen to have a bootleg copy of this lost episode. But if I can find another copy that matches the quality of the other episodes found on the official DVD set, that would be cherry.
Old September 26th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Kumu

The postings on Usenet are just from the DVD set you know about, apparently. In place of episode 16 is this note: "This was not added to Season 2 DVD set due to a legal battle from the first airing."
Old September 26th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If you look up the "Hawaii Five-0" thread, you'll find some discussion saying that Bored, She Hung Herself was NOT a part of the official 2nd season DVD box set. And in fact, it is missing.
Thanks - I thought I remembered such a discussion, but my internet connection went south just after that posting.

Apparently, legal issues over a copycat suicide kept this episode out of syndication (and, one assumes) off this set as well. Series creator Leonard Freeman's widow spoke of it at a convention back in 1996. Paramount simply says the episode is "not available." Bootleg is your only present option, it seems.
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Kumu

The episode "Bored, She Hung Herself" was posted 50 days ago in alt.binaries.classic.tv.shows. It's a 600 megabyte .avi file. The picture and sound are poor.
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Apparently, legal issues over a copycat suicide kept this episode out of syndication (and, one assumes) off this set as well. Series creator Leonard Freeman's widow spoke of it at a convention back in 1996. Paramount simply says the episode is "not available." Bootleg is your only present option, it seems.
I know of that story. In Yahoo's Hawaii Five-0 discussion group, Mike Quigley speculated that the same legal issues/aggrement that kept "Bored" out of syndication is the same obstacle that is holding back its release on DVD. I think that's poppycock! First of all, even if some kind of out-of-court settlement was made to take that episode out of syndication, surely its terms could not have been made to cover a DVD release. Remember, this is 1970 we are talking about! How could anyone have foreseen the idea of the show being released on home video/DVD back then?

I think the reason why "Bored" is not on DVD is because Paramount is too CHEAP! They're willing to spend the money to restore episodes that can be used on both DVD and syndication. But they won't do it for an episode that can't be used for syndication. That sucks! I mean, CBS included the episode, "The Encounter" in its Twilight Zone 5th season DVD box, even though that particular show has been out of syndication because of its controversial nature. Yet, Paramount/CBS can't be bothered to do the same for a supressed episode of Hawaii Five-0?
Old October 1st, 2007, 07:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
In Yahoo's Hawaii Five-0 discussion group, Mike Quigley speculated that the same legal issues/aggrement that kept "Bored" out of syndication is the same obstacle that is holding back its release on DVD. I think that's poppycock! First of all, even if some kind of out-of-court settlement was made to take that episode out of syndication, surely its terms could not have been made to cover a DVD release. Remember, this is 1970 we are talking about! How could anyone have foreseen the idea of the show being released on home video/DVD back then?

I think the reason why "Bored" is not on DVD is because Paramount is too CHEAP!
Cheap, yeah. But not for restoration costs. Why would they choose to skip work on one single episode, knowing full well the flak they will be (are) subjected to for not doing that one?

I suspect it would be on the advice of their lawyers. Even 35 years ago, a legal settlement (who says it was "out-of-court?") could be worded to say that the episode may not be shown, displayed, syndicated or distributed in any form. Even in a vague agreement, the legal team will be skittish and will discourage any option that could open the company up to further legal action - they'll take the safer path.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Cheap, yeah. But not for restoration costs. Why would they choose to skip work on one single episode, knowing full well the flak they will be (are) subjected to for not doing that one?.
You ask, "Why would they [Paramount] choose to skip work on one single episode,...? Well, that's not the only thing Paramount took a short cut on, my friend. On the season 2 DVDs, the studio even re-used the season 1 intro. (The season 1 intros listed James MacArthur's character as being "Danny." The original season 2 intro changed this to "Dan Williams.") Now, if Paramount is too cheap to restore the original season 2 intro, which is only slightly less than a minute long, then yeah, I can easily believe they would also be too cheap to restore a complete episode.

Quote:
I suspect it would be on the advice of their lawyers. Even 35 years ago, a legal settlement (who says it was "out-of-court?") could be worded to say that the episode may not be shown, displayed, syndicated or distributed in any form. Even in a vague agreement, the legal team will be skittish and will discourage any option that could open the company up to further legal action - they'll take the safer path.
Fascinating exercise in speculation. But I'll stick with known facts. And the fact is that Paramount re-used the season 1 intros instead of restoring the season 2 intros. That move, in and of itself, is a cost-saving measure. Hence, I'll stick with my earlier statement. Paramount left off "Bored, She Hung Herself" because they are too CHEAP.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:30 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Fascinating exercise in speculation. But I'll stick with known facts. And the fact is that Paramount re-used the season 1 intros instead of restoring the season 2 intros. That move, in and of itself, is a cost-saving measure. Hence, I'll stick with my earlier statement. Paramount left off "Bored, She Hung Herself" because they are too CHEAP.
Your earlier statement is also speculation, you realize? Unless you have inside experience (which would not surprise me, since you are certainly knowledgeable about some aspects of the broadcast industry), you're only able to guess - just like me. Though I do have experience in broadcasting (and connections to the legal profession) to guide my speculation; perhaps you do as well.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Ali`i

Talk about a mega-set --- any "Man From U.N.C.L.E." fans? You will want to know about this (and this.)
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Ali`i

Yay! They are finally releasing one of the series on my want list.
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Ali`i

The Middleman, while it is available on iTunes I sort of wish it is available on DVD.

Duck Dodgers would be another series that I would wish it will be out on DVD.

Last edited by helen; December 30th, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old December 31st, 2008, 05:10 AM
Ali`i

The cult tv series Get a Life starring Late Night Show with David Letterman alum Chris Elliot and his irreverent humor at its finest.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Kanaka

Dexter and Pushing Daisies.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuhoru View Post
Dexter and Pushing Daisies.
Those are both available on DVD. Check Scrivener's explanation regarding this thread.
Old January 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

They finally released Get Smart, season 1. I bought several sets this past Christmas but none was for me. Hope to bring one home next month.

I'd really like to see the first couple of seasons of The John Larroquette Show when it was still good. Also the one and only season of It's Your Move, mostly because I never did see the second part of that Dregs of Humanity episode. And for reasons that should be obvious, Double Trouble. Seriously, I can't be the only one. Is Hollywood listening?
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Those are both available on DVD. Check Scrivener's explanation regarding this thread.
Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like an idiot. Scratch that post please.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ali`i

Hey guys. A lot of TV season box sets are half off on amazon.com . I think I'll check out Magnum P.I. !
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuhoru View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. I feel like an idiot. Scratch that post please.
You are no idiot - you just needed a new map. Now, you're cool, yeah?

What bugs me is when companies release some material from a show, then decide the profit was too low to release the remainder. There are a number of shows where I've got the first couple seasons, but nothing further has come out ---

Whose Line Is It Anyway? - both the US and UK versions, only the first two seasons are out on DVD, and it's not looking like that will change.
Made In Canada - a great CBC series about the television industry, and they only issued the first six (summer replacement) shows; no sign of the remaining several seasons.
Space Ghost - Coast To Coast - only three sets have been issued, leaving a lot of material not on DVD.

Last edited by Leo Lakio; January 26th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Ali`i

I've just finished watching Showtime's "The Tudors." I enjoyed it immensely.
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Kia`aina

Maybe I missed seeing it, but I don't believe anyone mentioned "China Beach." Shot in Hawaii from 1988 to 1991, this Viet Nam era drama really made an impact on me. Still not on DVD, I've even gone on sites to petition for its DVD release. No word if it is forthcoming, and the copies out for sale now are poor bootlegs.

This show introduced many of us to the acting talents of Dana Delaney and Marg Helgenberger, among many others. Maybe the whole Viet Nam War era is an unpopular memory to many of the older generation, but this show was the sound track of my coming of age. It seemed that whether you served in the war or not, everyone had strong feelings about it, one way or another. Kinda like Iraq now, right? I wish it was currently in syndication, so I could tape it while they still sell VHS tapes, lol! Great stories, and great acting.