Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
[...]That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
I do too! Also, Jamba Juice. At McDonald's I never ignore the Ronald McDonald House charities donation box, either! That reminds me...I need to post to the Pet Peeve thread!
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Was done to couples and were targeting Japanese tourists. I believe it was newsworthy and they got into some deep kimchee about that.

As for the 18% automatically tagged on, I avoid places that do that. If I get bad service, why should I be liable for a gratuity that wasn't earned? Yeah, I believe it has to be earned. Luckily, these places aren't that common. Then again, I may have been living under a rock.
I doubt this was done out of Racism, but more out of racial "profiling"..there is a difference...I think because tipping is not a cultural custom in Japan, so perhaps some Japanese tourists do not know they are supposed to leave a tip.

When I was in Japan, I was told that tips are never expected, even tho' I ended up leaving something anyway.

So, the restaurant in question might have done it to make sure their wait staff actually made money.

Is it the right thing to do ? Good Question.

I remember being in Germany, and being told that tips are not necessary either. I always had a hard time with it, but it is the custom there too.

And my fiancee' tells me to leave a 10% tip in the Chinese area where she used to live, when we eat there, because that is the standard in an area which serves mainly Chinese and Taiwanese people.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
I have to ask, why? At what point where this becomes ridiculous? What about the delivery guy who trucks in the coffee beans and cups? You don't think paying more than $3 for a Tall is more than enough compensation? At the end of the day, it's your money and who am I to say what you can do with it. But it just feels like setting up a lot of bad precedence. Soon, I won't be able to even ask for extra napkins at a fast food joint without tipping.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:35 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server. I've seen so many nasty things done by(angry) waiters that to tell them here, would make you never eat out again.

Makes me wonder do the waiters and chefs that prepares YOUR food really do as what is seen in this movie?

It's the scene where the difficult woman and Ryan Reynolds steps in to assist.

And yes as the original threader chimes back in....... Regardless of Dennys or a 5 Star Eating Establishment a tip is ALWAYS based on service received.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
I have to ask, why? At what point where this becomes ridiculous? What about the delivery guy who trucks in the coffee beans and cups? You don't think paying more than $3 for a Tall is more than enough compensation? At the end of the day, it's your money and who am I to say what you can do with it. But it just feels like setting up a lot of bad precedence. Soon, I won't be able to even ask for extra napkins at a fast food joint without tipping.

LOL...I'll answer that.
If you're a regular at a particular Starbucks and order the same drink ...meaning everyday or twice a day even...the people working there are supposed to learn your drink (Starbucks teaches them this)

Once I don't have to order my drink anymore, and they automatically start making it, THAT'S when I tip. Not always, but if they start making it for me when I walk thru the door, I feel like they've gone above and beyond, and throwing some money in the tip jar is a "nice" thing to do.

Keep in mind, I walk to the same one every morning (it's a block away) and order the same thing....

Otherwise, i just pay and don't tip.
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ali`i

I tip 20% almost all the time (for a sit-down meal). If the service is sub-par, maybe 15%, because everybody can have an off day sometimes. If I go back and the same server is bad again, I just remember to get a different server the next time.
And I try to always treat servers with respect.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
I doubt this was done out of Racism, but more out of racial "profiling"..there is a difference...I think because tipping is not a cultural custom in Japan, so perhaps some Japanese tourists do not know they are supposed to leave a tip.
Didn't say it was racially motivated, but the restaurant did get into trouble for the "profiling", lilke you mentioned. At that time, they were only charging Japanese tourists the gratuity fee on the meal check. If memory serves me correctly, they also tried to catch Canadian and Australian tourists as well. At the time, it was known that one of the two is not accustomed to tipping and the other tips "light".

I be talking about something that took place almost 20 years ago so my details may be skewed a bit, but the jist of the situation is correct.

Btw, I used to work at an espresso bar so I kind of understand what Tikiyaki is talking about. I had my regulars for breakfast and lunch and I'd start getting their orders going when I'd see them walk in. Jon DeMello was one of my regulars for his vanilla shake. For some reason, he liked how I did it. He never ordered it when someone else was working. Some regulars also liked only how I would steam their eggs or toast and butter their croissants or how I foamed milk for their lattes. They'd come in only when I was on board. Regulars are funny like that and I loved'em all.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:55 AM
Ali`i

In my younger days, I used to work at a restaurant, and also as a cabbie, so I appreciate tips and generally tip very well ... 20% and more for satisfactory and exceptional service, 15% and less if less than satisfactory. But I do agree that the concept of tipping seems a bit out of whack. It really doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

Now, in my younger younger days (just entering high school), we were really bad boys. When we were given bad service, leaving nothing meant nothing. There's no revenge in that. So we left a penny. But we left it in a filled water glass, over which we then placed a sheet of sturdy paper snuggly over the top, flipped the glass over, placed it firmly on the table, then pulled the sheet of paper out from under, much as an impressario would pull a tablecloth from under a table setting. The result: an upside-down water glass filled with water and a penny down below on the surface of the table. The only way to retreive the penny would be to lift the glass, releasing the water all over the table.

We were very very bad.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:47 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
LOL...I'll answer that.
If you're a regular at a particular Starbucks and order the same drink ...meaning everyday or twice a day even...the people working there are supposed to learn your drink (Starbucks teaches them this)

Once I don't have to order my drink anymore, and they automatically start making it, THAT'S when I tip. Not always, but if they start making it for me when I walk thru the door, I feel like they've gone above and beyond, and throwing some money in the tip jar is a "nice" thing to do.
I don't drink the same thing all the time at Starbucks and finally one nice young man admitted to me that I mess them up when I change my drink. I kind of don't like it when they start making it before I order because if that's not what I was going to order this time but they've already made it, I usually just get it anyway even if that's not what I wanted to drink. But a few of the baristas are really friendly and service oriented so I tip those people.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

I start at 20% and go up or down from there. Two things that annoy me most are carelessly prepared food and a water glass that sits empty for too long. Hello, Sanoya Ramen! Are you listening?

If I'm eating somewhere especially inexpensive and my check comes out to, say, seven bucks, I'll leave two dollars, which is a bit more than 20%.

If it's the Christmas season, I'll leave a bit more. If someone else picks up the check, I'll leave even more.

It's just a couple of bucks. If I've got it, I don't mind sharing it.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:19 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server.
Even if you're willing to tip them a bunch of $100 bills?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:50 AM
Ali`i

When I worked in food service I used to tip more, but now I'm not so rich so I base it on 15%.

Working in many kinds of bars and restaurants, I've seen some weird stuff, I wouldnt doubt that stuff like what happened in Waiting happens in real life. (awesome movie, btw). Also "A double cheese burger, its for a cop"... "Dont spit in it" =p

BTW, when you have a large party and they add gratuity, how much do they usually set the % at? I was at Stuart Andersons recently and for a party of 10 they set the gratuity at 18%.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM
Ali`i

For me I use the 50/50 tip. That's 50% under $50. The reason is because of the fact that many servers are minimum wage and rely on tips. The lower the cost of the meal the lower their tips so I use a weighted amount towards the lower end to offset manini tips on small orders.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Ali`i

Youre the one who does $50/50... Where were you when I was a waiter/bartender/cocktail server? =p
Old March 22nd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Kumu

How about places where you wouldn't normally leave a tip (like a fast food place) but their credit card machines automatically put a tip line? What's a person to do? You can leave it blank and wonder if a crooked worker will fill it in with something nice. Or you can put a line through it and explicitly say "I'm a jerk". Or you can give them a tip you wouldn't have given them otherwise... Heck, they might not even get those tips, it's just a badly programmed card machine.

I've come around to taking cash to those places and throwing the metal change in their tip jar. It's funny how people will think it's cool if you do that, but they get mad at you for rounding up your credit card receipt $.10 to the next dollar.

I've seen the opposite too: tip jar and no tip line on the credit card receipt.

Best I've ever seen, IIRC the 7-11 by UT Austin had a tip jar!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:16 PM
Ali`i

Speaking of tip jars at fast food places, I always feel like a cheapskate whenever I drop my coins of change (usually less than 50 cents) in the tip can from that Subway sandwich combo purchase I just paid for.

The dime, nickel and pennies seem to echo so loudly as they make contact with the bottom of the can, as the cashier and other staff on hand almost sarcastically smile at you in a semi-gesture of gratitude.

I usually pay with cash, and even on credit card, I still prefer tipping with cash. WIth that, I always try to keep a 20 broken in ten, five and ones in my wallet so I can readily tip accordingly without having to ask for change. I like being able to say, "It's all taken care of" and just leave.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Ali`i

Wink Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
Youre the one who does $50/50... Where were you when I was a waiter/bartender/cocktail server? =p
Where was craigwatanabe when I was a Mickey-D's server?
Old March 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
... when I was a Mickey-D's server?
McD's had "servers?" Like, who come to your table and take your order to the kitchen and all that - wait-staff? I don't think even cw was tipping 50% to the staff at the counter of a fast-feeder, generous though he may be.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:26 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
McD's had "servers?" Like, who come to your table and take your order to the kitchen and all that.....

Some smaller MCD's will offer to bring your order to you unless YOU prefer waiting at the counter.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
Some smaller MCD's will offer to bring your order to you unless YOU prefer waiting at the counter.
The one in Kailua town used to do that before the first major remodeling.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
Makes me wonder do the waiters and chefs that prepares YOUR food really do as what is seen in this movie?

It's the scene where the difficult woman and Ryan Reynolds steps in to assist.

And yes as the original threader chimes back in....... Regardless of Dennys or a 5 Star Eating Establishment a tip is ALWAYS based on service received.
why should you never tick off your server? i've dated a few who worked at fine dining restaurants, and here are some things they have done after being ticked off by customers:

1. add "warm yellow salt" from their netherparts to water
2. add "swirl-o-dead-cockroach" into water
3. spit on saucy food and mixed it up, thereby disguising the "special sace"
4. place an empty coffee cup, lip down, on a coffee percolater burner for a minute, take cup to offending customer, fill it with tea/coffee/cocoa...then watch customer burn lips on cup (bcs liquid in cup and the part where you hold the cup seem normal, safe temperature).

mind you, this was done with their co-workers knowing...and all watching as the customer injested the extra flavoring or burnt their lips,

you wanna be stupid enough to abuse your server...AND THEN tip him a huge amount? go ahead--and confirm for your server how stupid you are. just hope you don't have a server who thinks putting visine in your water is only gonna give you diarrhea. it probably won't give you the runs, but even a quarter of a visine bottle will likely cause cardiac and respiratory problems--even coma (despite what is played out in "Wedding Crashers.")

oh--let me pass on that servers HATE when you put your hand over your coffee cup as a way to say you don't want coffee. too many people sorta nod that they do want coffee, then at the last moment, put their hand over their cup, thereby making the server jerk and sometimes splash coffee on the table, if he doesn't choose to just go ahead and pour right on your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I start at 20% and go up or down from there. Two things that annoy me most are carelessly prepared food and a water glass that sits empty for too long. Hello, Sanoya Ramen! Are you listening?

If I'm eating somewhere especially inexpensive and my check comes out to, say, seven bucks, I'll leave two dollars, which is a bit more than 20%.

If it's the Christmas season, I'll leave a bit more. If someone else picks up the check, I'll leave even more.

It's just a couple of bucks. If I've got it, I don't mind sharing it.
i stopped going to sanoya about five years ago. part of it was the general bad service. part of it was that they kicked out one member of a six-person party bcs that one person was the only person not ordering food. the kicker was when i had heard that a friend ate almost all his ramen...and found a 1 1/2 inch long roach at the bottom. i guess that guy's food was carelessly prepared.

as for tipping, i am an english major, and exceedingly allergic to math. i used to use my little tipping card or my cell phone's calculator. the beau (a former server and journalism major who somehow managed also to be left-brain enough to do well in calculus--he's an anomaly, i tell you) taught me the following trick:

look at the total on the tab, check the first digit and multiply by that digit two. that gives a rough 20%. then add/subtract a lil/lot more based on competency for type of establishment.

not as easy as moving a decimal, but it works for me!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:00 AM
Kumu

I stopped going to Sanoya after I found a pube in my ramen.

No kidding.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Being on both sides of the table, as a waiter and a customer,I believe it should be based on the service, but I also believe that you should NEVER piss off your food server. I've seen so many nasty things done by(angry) waiters that to tell them here, would make you never eat out again.

That being said, should the person who make you a latte at say, Starbucks be tipped? I do it all the time.
I've been on both sides of the table as well. I credit working in the food/bar industry in my late teens/early 20s to be among the best training ground for developing work ethic and people skills.

I never go into a food establishment without paying attention to the service, skill and attitude of my server, and if noticeable, that of his/her supervisor. I try to balance empathy with reasonable expectation. I can be a bit of a high-maintenance patron. Not disrespectful, but asking for extra this/that, a new fork, moving tables. I enjoy leaving a respectable tip, and if the service was exemplary, I express it my server. I remember how important such feedback was to me so much so that some of those instances have never been forgotten.

pax

Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; March 23rd, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
I credit working in the food/bar industry in my late teens/early 20s to be among the best training ground for developing work ethic and people skills.
Many nations have a mandatory military-service requirement for their citizens. I've long thought we should have a mandatory food-service requirement, six months, for example. For the reasons noted above, as well as a deeper appreciation for those who serve us when we dine out.

I find that those who ask "why tip?" generally have never worked in food-service. Those who have, already know the answer.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Ali`i

Wink Re: Leaving A Tip When Eating Out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Many nations have a mandatory military-service requirement for their citizens. I've long thought we should have a mandatory food-service requirement, six months, for example.
We have that. It's called School Cafeteria Duty.

The reason we no get tip because the teachers no come to the food line.