Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:53 PM
Ali`i

Default 99 Ranch Market closing doors

Bummers that the Honolulu branch of 99 Ranch Market is scheduled to shut down next year. Maybe the owners figured that in Hawai'i it was easy to find most of the stuff they sell in places like Chinatown. Up here, next to Uwajimaya, 99 Ranch Market is one of the places I shop whenever I need Asian food products.

Miulang
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

I've never been to 99 Ranch since it opened...I guess cause I live so close to Chinatown.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

That is a bummer. I wonder if all those tenants will be allowed to (or even choose to) stay there. There are some good food places there, plus several service-providers and retailers. I like hanging out there when I get a little tired of the other places nearer where I work.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ali`i

I think I've been there exactly once - to meet someone. Interesting, but never felt any need to go back. As I recall the Farmer's Market across from Ward Warehouse seemed to be about the same atmosphere.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Ali`i

I tried a couple of times to go there when it first opened, but could never find parking, so Iíve never been there. The location seemed out-of-the-way and inconvenient, and there's so many other places (closer and easier for me to get to) to find Asian food products. Still, maybe I should have tried harder.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Bad location, poor customer service the few times I went there.

If I need Asian food products, I think of other places (Chinatown and Daiei/Don Quijote primarily) to shop. Not 99 Ranch.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:24 PM
Ali`i

don't know why but my experiences there were generally positive. i don't go there on a regular basis but i've never been disappointed with the food there.

the reason i stopped going there, however, is because my (when i still had it) acura's logo (on the trunk) was ripped off there. never wanted to go back after that incident.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:39 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Wow. We go there all the time. Not so much for 99 Ranch, though we do hit it for the occasional odd item or obscure sauce, but for the whole package, food court included. There's a Mini Garden location there, and Bea's Dessert House is a favorite for bubble tea. We hit the bank there on weekends. And there's a Chinese restaurant in there I've never tried.

Fortunately, "the independent vendors will continue to operate at the property."

While 99 Ranch probably qualified on paper as an "anchor" tenant, I'm pretty sure a lot of the other businesses there are decent draws on their own. I bet there'll still be foot traffic there, even without the supermarket. The question is if it'll be worth it in the aggregate to keep that whole property/facility operating without it in the long term. What else could occupy that large space? Maybe a Ross?
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Kia`aina

If you work in the area then the food court is a good place for lunch.

Chinatown has a lot of their inventory but not everything.
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

I work in Chinatown, and can appreciate its wide range of goodies, frenetic energy, and... human color. But I always thought 99 Ranch provided an important alternative. I mean, parking there wasn't great, but it sure beat Chinatown on a busy day. You could push around a shopping cart, fill it up, and pay only once. And you could pay with a credit card. Try that stuff downtown!

I don't think the popularity of Chinatown kept business slow at 99 Ranch as much as other factors, particularly location. As i-hungry notes, the food court attracted folks from all around Mapunapuna and the airport area, but that's not enough of a population base for a niche supermarket. Closer to Pearlridge or even on the other side of the island may have worked better.
Old December 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Ali`i

Drat. I only went there a couple of times, but it was my source for Tabasco soy sauce and Tabasco ketchup. :-( Now I'll have to go online if I want that stuff. Phooey.
Old December 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Ali`i

Interesting. I just realized that it's where we get our Park's brand kim chee sauce, to make the Chicken Alice's recipe. I know I found it at the Palama Market in town, but 99 Ranch was more convenient.
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Ali`i

Location most definitely killed it. Wasn't really convenient to any residential areas.
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Kia`aina

I shop at the South Bay Area / Las Vegas 99 Ranch Markets for the prices and food (pretty good Cantonese food). Those Markets I frequent have no food courts like the one in the Mapunapuna branch.

While home, I went to the food court, but didn't go to actually shop at the Market much. So long as the food choices stay, I'll probably continue to go there.
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Ali`i

How are the prices at 99 Ranch compared to say..Safeway or Foodland?
Just curious because here in the LA area alot of stuff, like Chicken and especially fish are WAY cheaper at 99 Ranch than Vons (which is owned by Safeway) and Ralphs which are the main supermarkets here.

My fiancee is schlepping all the way to her old neighborhood in Arcadia to but stuff for X Mas dinner because the prices are so much cheaper, and of course they don't have the Asian stuff at the American markets here where we live.

She always complains to me that stuff is so much cheaper at 99 Ranch when we're in VONS(Safeway) , and I was just wondering if that's the case in Hawaii too, because I know pricing is whole different ball of wax there.

Makes me wonder why the Asian markets seem to be cheaper for certain stuff. The non Asian folks here are starting to catch on and are shopping in 99 Ranch more for their fish and meats, obviousy because of the price difference.
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Ali`i

Seems lots of things are closing up in Mapunapuna, Pizza Hut, the restaurant located next to Jack in the Box closed, Education Works. Some of these establishments relocated, but it seems things are closing down in the area.

Any truth to the rumors about Big Boy's closing as well?

KalihiBoy
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
Makes me wonder why the Asian markets seem to be cheaper for certain stuff. The non Asian folks here are starting to catch on and are shopping in 99 Ranch more for their fish and meats, obviousy because of the price difference.
I think the difference between the Asian markets (like 99 Ranch, PalDo World, Uwajimaya, etc.) and the regular chain markets on the Mainland is that their fresh meat, poultry and fish selections are much larger. Asians eat lots of pork and fish especially (not so much beef) so those prices are cheaper at the Asian markets. I can find fresh duck meat, too, at 99 Ranch Market and it's very cheap there. In places like Safeway, if they carry it, it would be in the frozen case, and you'd have to buy a whole duck. It's also about the only place in town that carries cans of "Samoan" corned beef.

Miulang
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
I think the difference between the Asian markets (like 99 Ranch, PalDo World, Uwajimaya, etc.) and the regular chain markets on the Mainland is that their fresh meat, poultry and fish selections are much larger. Asians eat lots of pork and fish especially (not so much beef) so those prices are cheaper at the Asian markets. I can find fresh duck meat, too, at 99 Ranch Market and it's very cheap there. In places like Safeway, if they carry it, it would be in the frozen case, and you'd have to buy a whole duck.

Miulang
That makes sense. The fish counter at 99 Ranch in Arcadia is insane...so much stuff, lots of stuff live in tanks, lobsters,clams, mussels,crawfish, crabs etc...

Also, the produce is cheaper alot too. Veggies, fruit etc..cheaper. My fiancee' just got back, held up 2 bottles of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider and said "2 for $4, at VONS 2 for $5...American supermarkets are so expensive!"
So the cheaper prices seem to be across the board. At least on the mainland side anyway.
Old December 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
That makes sense. The fish counter at 99 Ranch in Arcadia is insane...so much stuff, lots of stuff live in tanks, lobsters,clams, mussels,crawfish, crabs etc...

Also, the produce is cheaper alot too. Veggies, fruit etc..cheaper. My fiancee' just got back, held up 2 bottles of Martinelli's Sparkling Apple Cider and said "2 for $4, at VONS 2 for $5...American supermarkets are so expensive!"
So the cheaper prices seem to be across the board. At least on the mainland side anyway.
It's a combination of things. In general, 99 Ranch caters to those who still have a heavy preference for "fresh food" as their main meals as opposed to processed. So by having a customer base that buys a lot of fresh produce, meat, seafood; the store can also charge a lower price and make up via volume. And then on certain things, I notice the quality may not be up to par with the Safeways, Ralph's, etc. Seafood is up there but I don't know about the meat. I might have missed it but I don't ever recall seeing their beef, for example, having any USDA Select, Prime, etc ratings on them. And then let's not forget operation cost. Somehow, I don't believe their workers are union and have pensions/401ks, etc. The American products aisle tends to be a little pricier than your Safeways so it shows where their strength and weaknesses are.
Old December 25th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
It's a combination of things. In general, 99 Ranch caters to those who still have a heavy preference for "fresh food" as their main meals as opposed to processed. So by having a customer base that buys a lot of fresh produce, meat, seafood; the store can also charge a lower price and make up via volume. And then on certain things, I notice the quality may not be up to par with the Safeways, Ralph's, etc. Seafood is up there but I don't know about the meat. I might have missed it but I don't ever recall seeing their beef, for example, having any USDA Select, Prime, etc ratings on them. And then let's not forget operation cost. Somehow, I don't believe their workers are union and have pensions/401ks, etc. The American products aisle tends to be a little pricier than your Safeways so it shows where their strength and weaknesses are.
Y'know, I always wonder about the quality of that stuff too. The meat is alot cheaper, but I always think that you get what you pay for in that respect. The stores are certainly not as clean and kept up as a Safeway/Vons etc, and yea, there is the union thing. Interesting points....
Old December 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Ali`i

Thumbs down Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

99 ranch is closing next year?

that sucks butt.

the beau and i, being townies who try very hard not to go past kalihi on one side and kahala mall on the other, have recently discovered the joys of 99 ranch. 99 ranch and henry loui's are the only two reasons we venture into mapunapuna. we bought ahi for sashimi there last thanksgiving, and found that for the price, we would be hard pressed fight the crowds at tamashiro at new year's for sashimi.

lita's fili food, by itself, isn't enough of a draw to get me to mapunapuna.

*sigh*
Old December 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Keiki

Gee we haven't been in the area for a while. The only reason we go there is 99 Ranch and Wholesale Unlimited. The food court seems like it has good business on it's own, but I'm not sure how much of those customers are there because they went to shop at 99 Ranch or just went there to eat. Mini Garden and Bea's is where we go too.
Old December 27th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow
Post Re: 99 Ranch Market closing doors

Can't believe that 99 Ranch Market is closing its doors. I went to 99 Ranch Market every Sunday afternoon for lunch after church. The parking was a hassle but we ended up finding parking in the streets. Some of the things that they sell at 99 Ranch Market are expensive and you can always find the same thing in Chinatown.
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Kanaka

Send a message via AIM to bitachu Send a message via Yahoo to bitachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
While 99 Ranch probably qualified on paper as an "anchor" tenant, I'm pretty sure a lot of the other businesses there are decent draws on their own. I bet there'll still be foot traffic there, even without the supermarket. The question is if it'll be worth it in the aggregate to keep that whole property/facility operating without it in the long term. What else could occupy that large space? Maybe a Ross?
Maybe they will put a walgreens there...
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
That is a bummer. I wonder if all those tenants will be allowed to (or even choose to) stay there. There are some good food places there, plus several service-providers and retailers. I like hanging out there when I get a little tired of the other places nearer where I work.
that is a total bummer. in that area, that food court was my favorite place to go. the korean place spicy pork was a winner!

hope they find a buyer or a new tenant that is interested in taking over.