Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Kia`aina

Default Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio
Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup, cookie.

To be more specific, grilled cheddar on garlic/rosemary sourdough bread and tomato/basil/onion soup, from Three Girls Bakery in Seattle's Pike Place Market; followed by one of their Double-O cookies (a peanut butter cookie with a Reese's peanut butter cup baked into the center of it.)
That sounds sooooo good...too bad I haven't learned how to enjoy tomato soup yet.

I just had a bunch of cheese and crackers at my brother's apartment. Ritz crackers, not sure what kind of cheese we used. It tasted like the cheese from Handi Snacks, but it was white. There was also another white cheese that reminded me of those little white cheese cubes I used to eat in elementary school. I'm so hungry but it's almost time to eat dinner so no snacking for me.
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Ali`i

Chargrilled Hamburger
6 oz. hand-pattied with lettuce, red onion, tomato and mustard-mayo' sauce on gourmet sesame bun. Includes dill pickle, carrot and celery stick. $5.99

Seriously, one of the BEST burgers on this island. Awesome chargrilled flavor. Burger fans MUST try this one.

from Matters of Taste
Gentry Design Center on Nimitz (across Sam Choy's BLC)
Old October 28th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Ali`i

It must be hamburger day; after a year of looking, I think I may have found the best burger in Downtown Seattle, at the Pike Place Market Bar & Grill.
1/3-pounder; I added blue cheese crumbles and bacon (oh, my heart!)
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

Had a craving for a good knish yesterday so I went to the kosher bakery in the north end of town. Unfortunately, they had just moved to a new storefront, so the knish making had been delayed for a couple of weeks. Did buy an excellent chocolate babka, though. Yummy.

Miulang
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Ali`i

We celebrated the unofficial birthday of our radio show in Seattle - 14 years on the community station - so half of the hosting `ohana came in to do the show, and we made a potluck out of it as well...
-teriyaki drummettes
-Portuguese sweet bread (homemade!)
-toss salad
-mac salad
-lau lau
-spam musubi
-rice
-haupia (regular & chocolate)
We had enough to make up a plate for the Brazilian music host who comes in after us; she loved it.
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Ali`i

Aloha! I had Fresh Buterfish Filets, Poi, (raw crab), and ahi poki from Tamashiro Market!

I took some pictures while shopping there today. It's a five minute walk from where I live. http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
We celebrated the unofficial birthday of our radio show in Seattle - 14 years on the community station - so half of the hosting `ohana came in to do the show, and we made a potluck out of it as well...
-teriyaki drummettes
-Portuguese sweet bread (homemade!)
-toss salad
-mac salad
-lau lau
-spam musubi
-rice
-haupia (regular & chocolate)
We had enough to make up a plate for the Brazilian music host who comes in after us; she loved it.
What did Unco Williama bring? He gave me some ono dried aku on Friday when I stopped by the halau to talk story.

Miulang
Old October 30th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
What did Unco Williama bring? He gave me some ono dried aku on Friday when I stopped by the halau to talk story.
Different radio show - this was the KBCS crew (Braddah Gomes, etc.)

But Williama - he's some cook, ah? I've lost track of how many great foods he's turned me on to! He always has something at the halau to try (and he'll never tell me what it is until I try it - talk about how to torture a picky eater!)
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Ali`i

Default What took so long slow poke?

Pomai's Ahi Poke

Supah' fresh raw Ahi - diced into 3/4" to 1" cubes
Ogo, rough chopped
Fresh Garlic, minced fine
Fresh Ginger, minced fine
White onion (Maui onion is best!), chopped fine
Green Onions, chopped
Mirin (this is a Japanese sweetened rice wine)
Shoyu

Add the diced Ahi, Ogo, garlic, ginger and onions in bowl. Toss until combined. Then slowly add Shoyu and Mirin to desired balance of Shoyu-Sweet flavor.

Easy and winnah!

This is another trick with Poke. When da' buggah gets several days old, you think "poho" right? Not even! Throw da' buggah in one wok and fry 'em until seared on the outside. Killah!
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Ali`i

Makin' me SOOO hungry, Pomai!
We get great sashimi-grade ahi here in Seattle, of course, along with ALMOST all the other ingredients to make killer poke, except fresh ogo.
It's just not the same without that little crunch...
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Makin' me SOOO hungry, Pomai!
We get great sashimi-grade ahi here in Seattle, of course, along with ALMOST all the other ingredients to make killer poke, except fresh ogo.
It's just not the same without that little crunch...
A while back, Sam Choy's cooking show featured an aquatic farm in Kona on the big island that grows Ogo in controlled tanks. These tanks are pumped with COLD sea water off the Kona coast.

You can buy this farm-raised Ogo in bags quite cheap at some of the local markets here.

Nah, but if no moah Ogo, just make the recipe I gave without it. You'll still get that "crunch" from the white onions.

Now Limu Kohu. That's another story. Expensive. Love that stuff with Kalua Pig and Poi!
Old October 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Eh Uncle, if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time, you can find fresh ogo at the Uwajimaya near you. But you'll have to blanch it first because it's sold raw and unprepared, the same way it comes out from the ocean. Whenever I'm in that area, I usually stop in and buy whatever's left of their stock.
Old October 30th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkah
if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time ... Whenever I'm in that area, I usually stop in and buy whatever's left of their stock.
I probably get there just after you! (Nah - sweetie shops there regularly - best source for Portuguese sausage; I'll remind her to check 'em out next time.)

Remind me to tell you my first-time-trying-poke story someday...
Old October 30th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
What? You at OTripleC?

*ROTF* No, but the windows have iron bars on em. Does that count ?
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:14 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Remind me to tell you my first-time-trying-poke story someday...
Would that story be rated G?

O.K. I'm remindin' you... tell us the story!

Last edited by Pomai; October 31st, 2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:22 AM
Kumu

Yesterday it was Lobster and Shrimp chowdah. Today its a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Old October 31st, 2005, 03:51 PM
Ali`i

Chicken flavor Cup Noddles and a bottle of Dole Orange Juice.
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

First-time-eating-poke story (nothing gross here, safe for reading while eating): A few months into the start of my relationship with the Nikkeijin Alpha Female from Kane`ohe, we went home (from Seattle) to visit her parents. I had met them a couple months before, but this was the first time I was going to their home. (Keep in mind that, except for some knowledge of slack-key, I was still pretty ignorant about Hawaiian culture, history, language, etc. etc. - we really don't learn much on the Mainland, as you well know.)

Naturally, as any welcoming Island family would, they had pupus ready for us when we arrived, including ahi and tako poke. "Dad," knowing that I'm a mainland haole, hands over a pair of chopsticks and asks if I'm okay with them, or would I prefer a fork. I'm okay with chopsticks, so out comes the poke.

I knew enough not to ask "what's this weird stuff," but to give anything a try, at least once - as I'm going for the ahi poke, recognizing that it is chunks of raw tuna (mind you, I had never even eaten sashimi or sushi before, either - no raw fish had ever entered my gullet, in any form), I start hearing a voice screaming inside my Midwest-raised, steak and potato-eating mind: "Hey. HEY! That's RAW FISH there, you know! You aren't gonna eat RAW fish, are ya? ARE YA?!?"

The screaming voice continued, as the first chunk of that magnificently-seasoned, melt-in-your-mouth delicacy thrilled my palate: "Yo!!! Hey, Iowa boy - what ARE you doing??? Didn't you hear me say 'RAW FISH'?" But it was quickly joined by a new, somewhat quiet voice, saying: "yeah - but it tastes GOOD!" That voice has steadily grown stronger.

For years, I assumed I was being tested by her father; that he knew I was a raw-fish virgin, and wanted to see how I would do in this culinarily challenging circumstance. I have since been convinced that no such scenario had been devised - poke was just one of sweetie's favorites, and her parents are wonderfully generous people. She also knew that I wasn't just eating some to be nice when, at lunch with her Auntie the next day, we were at a buffet, and I took some ahi poke on my own.

Also for years, I heard the battle of the two voices ("Raw fish!" versus "I like it!") as I continued to enjoy ahi poke (and later, a`u and smoked-salmon variations) - though the tako poke was just a little too chewy for my tastes.

What astounds me now is that friends of mine who regularly enjoy sushi and sashimi, often don't like poke - they don't seem to be comfortable with the texture of the chunks, as opposed to the thin slices on rice. All the more for me, I guess.
Old November 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Banned

hooooowzit gang!

i just found a new deli for those of us that work kaka'ako area! so ono da sandwiches! "bliss cafe" on keawe st. for realz da turkey , i only tried but i gon try others nex time.. Tomorrow! haha...

i can walk from my work on ala mo blvd

alohaG

Last edited by qldhopefully; November 7th, 2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old November 8th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Ali`i

Hot Dog, P. Pizza and a Mocha Whachamacallit at Costco Dillingham! Great walk for me and lil' Antonio...my grandson.

Auntie Lynn
Old November 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Ali`i

Sushi today. Hamachi, prawn (whatever the Japanese name for that is) and California roll (hold the mayo). High protein, low fat. No more plate lunch for awhile -- I'm trying to shed a few pounds I gained during the past couple of months.

Sushi ... yum. <slurp>
Old November 9th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Ali`i

Yeah, so, two hours after eating my sushi lunch, I was starving again.
Old November 10th, 2005, 02:16 AM
Ali`i

Bangkok Chef: pad thai, spring rolls, thai iced tea, basil shrimp, green curry chicken, sticky rice two times, guava nectar (hey, it was the family!)
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

Pastrami Deli Wrap and a bottle of water from the HCC Cafeteria.
Old November 17th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Ali`i

Beef-Cheese-Mushroom Piroscki, Fried Squid and Cascaron from Rada's Piroscki on Fort Street Mall!

Oh, and a Root Beer!

Auntie Lynn
Closed Thread