Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 26th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Ali`i

Default Another DHS screw up?

Another little keiki was abused and killed by her father this past week, and the State was notified a week before the final assault that the abuse was occurring.

According to Derick Dahilig, DHS spokesman, all attempts were made to try to track the child down, but the searches they did didn't reveal any names.

The person who made the anonymous call (the victim's mother's cousin) claims that the information the state says could have helped narrow down the places to search (i.e., there was no mention made that the child was from a military family) was never asked of her.

Instead of just lamenting over the death of Talia, maybe the DHS should very carefully review the forms their intake people use to make sure that any questions that were not asked (i.e., "is this a military family?" or "do you have a phone number for the family?") are put on those forms so DHS has all the information they might need to conduct their investigation. Give the intake workers more training on how to verify the spelling of names and phone numbers and to certainly ask more questions.

Why they automatically assume that an abused child must be in a foster care situation or using some form of State assistance is beyond me. Child abuse can happen in the best of families, too.

Miulang

Last edited by Miulang; July 26th, 2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Another DHS screw up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
Instead of just lamenting over the death of Talia, maybe the DHS should very carefully review the forms their intake people use to make sure that any questions that were not asked (i.e., "is this a military family?" or "do you have a phone number for the family?") are put on those forms so DHS has all the information they might need to conduct their investigation. Give the intake workers more training on how to verify the spelling of names and phone numbers and to certainly ask more questions.

Why they automatically assume that an abused child must be in a foster care situation or using some form of State assistance is beyond me. Child abuse can happen in the best of families, too.

Miulang
This story just keeps getting weirder and weirder. Now we have lawyers representing both the Army and Talia's stepmother arguing over who said and did what. Enough already, Talia is being victimized once again by adults who want to pin the blame on someone else. Everybody should just admit that while they weren't completely to blame, everyone, from the Army to DHS failed this little girl and should work to make the kinds of changes needed to keep this from happening again.

Miulang
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Keiki

Send a message via Yahoo to BABYGIRL
Default Re: So, Where's Peter-Boy?

You're right Muilang they should quit trying to pin the blame on eachother they are both responsible for the death of that precious little girl, these people are sick. What reason do they have for beating that girl twice a day the way they had been. It's sick and just like with Peter Boy it could have been prevented because there was reports of abuse and they could have placed both of the children in that house anywhere away from those abusive people while they investigated the situation.
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:23 AM
Ali`i

Where's Peter-Boy? He's dead, his body long gone, mostly. Talia's dead, another kid who will never grow up and have a first kiss, or a school dance, or the pride in her parents' eyes when she does well in school, or a boy or a man who loves her. Another little kid who never had a chance. How many of them are out there, in the grocery store with us? At the pharmacy? In the next car at the gas station? Who are they? How do we know them?
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAzza
...another kid who will never grow up and have a first kiss, or a school dance, or the pride in her parents' eyes when she does well in school, or a boy or a man...

'da hell?

hey madza; you hit yer head when ya took that spill or wot?!
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
'da hell?

hey madza; you hit yer head when ya took that spill or wot?!
I just think it's sad. I always think about this stuff when a child is tortured to death by the people who are supposed to care for her/him. So excuse the heck outta me, Mister Heartless!
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:39 AM
Banned

go ta heaven and make a U turn!. same to ya.

so; back ot.

"Where's Peter-Boy"
spotted him the other day eating at burger king with elvis.
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
go ta heaven and make a U turn!. same to ya.

so; back ot.

"Where's Peter-Boy"
spotted him the other day eating at burger king with elvis.
with a side order of Kimo's Conscience.
Old July 30th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Banned

my shrink, (if i had one) would tellya I am unconscience.
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Ali`i

Grrr...Talia's father says he kept hitting his daughter with his Levi's belt because she was slow to learn. Her last infraction? Spitting toothpaste all over the bathroom sink!

Why is it that we require a license to get married or drive a car, but no license or training to become parents? All children are our future and should be protected.

I wish Talia's father could receive a sentence more harsh than life imprisonment. There's no excuse for the abuse that poor keiki had to suffer. Her stepmom was just as responsible because she knew what was going on and did nothing to prevent the abuse.

Miulang
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Banned

>Why is it that we require a license to get married or drive a car, but no license or training to become parents?

exactly!

>I wish Talia's father could receive a sentence more harsh than life imprisonment.

well, if he were tossed in the hoosegow, he would get his comeuppance, methinks...
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

well, if he were tossed in the hoosegow, he would get his comeuppance, methinks...
Heh. True enough. Pedophiles and child killers do have a hard time in the slammer. Whoever said incarcerated people don't have a sense of justice was wrooooong.

Miulang
Old December 1st, 2016, 06:10 PM
Ali`i

So it has finally come about that there is some resolution to the "Where's Peter Boy" mystery. The StarAdvertiser reports:
Quote:
The mother of missing “Peter Boy” Kema pleaded guilty to manslaughter this morning in one of the islands’ most notorious unsolved cases and has agreed to testify against her husband, who faces a murder trial in April in their son’s death.
You'll perhaps recall:
Quote:
Peter Kema Sr. told authorities in August 1997 that he left Peter Boy with a longtime family friend, “Aunty Rose Makuakane,” at Aala Park in downtown Honolulu. Her existence could not be verified.
The 1997 disappearance of “Peter Boy” Kema, then 6, was initially a missing-person case, but in 2000 police reclassified it to a homicide.
The mother, Jaylin Kema, must testify against her husband Peter Kema, Sr. as part of her plea agreement. He faces life in prison if convicted.

Although it has taken two decades for the wheels of justice to move this far, credit must be given to the current Hawaii County Prosecutor Mitch Roth for re-activating the case. First elected in 2012, Roth was recently re-elected, so hopefully the fact that he is continuing on for a second term will help to keep the pressure on this case.

Perhaps Peter Boy's siblings will soon gain some closure in the death of their brother. His sister said in a May 2016 interview with HawaiiNewsNow:
Quote:
"In 1997, Lina Acol was just 4. But she says she still remembers the day when she last saw Peter Boy. She recalls seeing Peter Boy's dead body in a box in her parents' closet. And she remembers her father taking the box away.
Since Hawaii does not have the death penalty, there is no incentive to Kema Sr. to plead guilty in a deal to avoid execution. Will his attorneys manage to cut a deal for a lesser charge, or maybe Kema Sr. hope to have a prosecution foul-up that sets him free?

Last edited by Amati; December 1st, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old January 24th, 2017, 08:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amati View Post
Will his attorneys manage to cut a deal for a lesser charge, or maybe Kema Sr. hopes to have a prosecution foul-up that sets him free?
Today from HawaiiNewsNow
Quote:
The trial of Peter Kema, Sr., who's accused in the death of his son "Peter Boy," has been delayed for three more months.
Quote:
... Judge Glenn Hara, who was overseeing the Kema case, has retired and the process to replace him has been delayed.
Quote:
Kema, Sr. and his wife Jaylin are both behind bars, awaiting trial and unable to make bail.Jaylin Kema pleaded guilty to manslaughter in December in her 5-year-old son's death, and is expected to be questioned in a recorded deposition before her husband’s trial.
Delayed .... no judge available? Is that a "foul-up" that can set Kema Sr free? Speedy Trial clause, or some such glitch?
Old January 24th, 2017, 11:58 PM
Kumu

Not to mention the prosecutorís office is busy defending the deputy prosecutor. Nothing else is important.
Old April 4th, 2017, 10:39 PM
Ali`i

HawaiiNewsNow brings us up to date with a report that Peter Boy's father (Peter Kema Sr.) is working a plea agreement. Part of the agreement will the father needing to disclose where Peter Boy's body was disposed of.

HNN says of the family:
Quote:
While the possibility of a lighter sentence might draw criticism, Peter Boy's family has long made clear what they want more than anything else is answers.
Will a body actually ever be recovered? It's been 20 years since the boy was killed. This tragedy has sadly haunted Hawaii for two decades.
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:15 AM
Ali`i

Peter Boy's mother was sentenced today ... 10 years probation (plus her already-served one year in jail). Jaylin Kema whined about "My health problems in my everyday life are difficult....", but there is no sympathy for her, the mother who watched while her child was abused and killed, and stood by after the fact thus putting her other children in the path of danger also.
Free after only a year, a sad commentary on the value of a child's life.

Last edited by Amati; June 14th, 2017 at 03:18 AM.