Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Big Picture
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 10th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Ali`i

Default Thor: The Dark World

Saw the movie Thor: The Dark World late last night at the Ward Theater.

It is a sequel to the movies Thor and Marvel's The Avengers. Most of the action mostly takes places on 2 other worlds, but Earth does factor in the action scenes late in the movie.

In a nutshell a very long time ago a dark elf decided that the current existence of the universe is a mistake and it was his duty to undo all of the creation. What stopped him was the Asgards lead by Thor's grandfather. While they defeated the dark elf they could not destroy the instrument that will cause the universe's destruction so the Asgards hid it some place. In the present day Jane Foster (one of Thor's friend on Earth) stumbled across the instrument of destruction and there by driving the plot of this movie.
Old July 12th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default Re: Thor: The Dark World

Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Anthony Hopkins, Stellan Skarsgard, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Rene Russo. Directed by Alan Taylor.

The first Thor film was an unexpected surprise. I saw the trailer and thought, ďThere is no way that can be any good.Ē I was wrong. As utterly bizarre as the premise and plot were, it was an entertaining movie whose underlying conflict between immortal brothers was strangely humanizing. Add that to Thorís fish-out-of-water story on earth, and there was something almost universal about a Norse god roaming the streets of New Mexico with Padme Amidala.

I had high hopes for this sequel, but then reviews were lukewarm, and people close to me said it was a fairly unmemorable movie, so I didnít go out of my way to see it until I decided two years later that I want to see all the films in this Marvel universe. Low expectations were surely part of my enjoyment of the first movie, and now they contribute to my enjoyment of the sequel. Itís compelling and funny, with characters I enjoyed spending time with, and I like it just as much as I liked the first film.

Loki is imprisoned by his father Odin, the king of Asgard. Thor and his buddies are finishing a war across nine realms, sparked (I think) by the events in the first movie, so although his heart yearns to get back to Jane Foster in New Mexico, as he promised, heís been a little too busy. Now the nine realms are about to converge, creating portals linking them directly, and an ancient foe who has been in hibernation arises to undo the mistake that was the creation of the nine realms. Jane gets involved, her life is in peril, Lokiís assistance must be solicited, and we get another round of the Thor-Loki love-hate dynamic.

And it is not tired. Itís still gripping. Donít ask me how. There are so many ways Thor: The Dark World should just be laughable, but itís not, and I donít know how they do it, but it may have something to do with one very quick scene at the beginning of the third act. Thor shows up at Janeís house, and as he enters, he hangs Mjolnir, the mighty hammer that has vanquished giants with one blow, on a peg on a coat rack. It is an acknowledgment of the strangeness of this filmís premise without conceding any of its reality within the universe it has created. Thor sees how out of place he is, how impossible it is for him to be there, but he is there, and Hemsworth plays his part with the right amountójust a smidgenóof awkward imbalance to flavor the rest of his utmost earnestness. It totally works, even with a nonsensical, ambiguously western European accent.

7/10 (IMDb rating)
72/100 (Criticker rating)