Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who Will You Vote For Congress (1st District)?
Women’s Rights Activist Kathryn Xian 0 0%
Hawai‘i State Rep. K. Mark Takai 3 33.33%
Honolulu City Councilman Ikaika Anderson 1 11.11%
Hawai‘i State Sen. Will Espero 0 0%
Honolulu City Councilman Stanley Chang 0 0%
Hawai‘i State Sen. Donna Mercado Kim (undeclared) 3 33.33%
none of the above/ someone else 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Thumbs up Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Candidate for Congress pushes income equality

Quote:
Kathryn Xian opened her campaign Monday for the urban Honolulu seat in Congress with a populist theme of income equality.

[...]

State Sen. Will Espero, state Rep. K. Mark Takai and City Council members Stanley Chang and Ikaika Anderson are the other contenders for the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Colleen Hanabusa. Hanabusa is challenging U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz in the Democratic primary.

State Senate President Donna Mercado Kim is considering entering the primary for Congress, and would be the best known in the race if she declares.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993

Last edited by TuNnL; October 1st, 2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Well, here’s a game changer. Not that every political pundit wasn’t already expecting it.

Kim announces run for U.S. House seat

The outspoken state Senate president says experience makes her the best qualified
By Gordon Y.K. Pang
POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Nov 07, 2013

Quote:
State Senate President Donna Mercado Kim officially jumped into the 2014 1st Congressional District race on Wednesday, immediately positioning herself as the most experienced and, arguably, the best known among what is now a field of six.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default Re: Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

I have to say that Kim is the strongest candidate here and her entry encourages me. There are many good things to say about Takai, but just about every good thing I have to say has a little "but" at the end.

Chang seems to be popular, but (here I go again) he's basically Takai twenty years later, plus he carries with him a certain sliminess/polishedness that Takai mostly managed never to pick up. Takai has all that athletic cachet, plus he's a public school grad (HS and college) and has been consistently strong in education above all else. I'd pick Takai over Chang; still don't really want either in Washington.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
I have to say that Kim is the strongest candidate here and her entry encourages me. There are many good things to say about Takai, but just about every good thing I have to say has a little "but" at the end.
Donna Kim has a proven track record, but I worry about her national credentials. Mark Takai, OTOH, is a Lieutenant Colonel in the National Guard. While Hawai‘i must expand and diversify its economy if it wants to continue to prosper, the military is for better or for worse, a crucial piece of the puzzle. Kim brings nothing to the table there, while Takai is poised for an immediate appointment to an important committee in this respect. This will help strengthen our Hawai‘i delegation and complement U.S. Rep. Tulsi Gabbard’s committee assignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Chang seems to be popular, but (here I go again) he's basically Takai twenty years later, plus he carries with him a certain sliminess/polishedness that Takai mostly managed never to pick up. Takai has all that athletic cachet, plus he's a public school grad (HS and college) and has been consistently strong in education above all else. I'd pick Takai over Chang
I agree with everything except the part about Chang being popular or “polished.” Chang if you recall, barely defeated Kahala attorney Richard Turbin to win his seat on the Honolulu Council. Riding on the coattails of Charles Djou’s early praise, Chang eventually lost Djou’s endorsement to Turbin who would likely win if he chose to challenge Chang again.

Chang has gone on to be a huge disappointment. I can’t name a single thing he has accomplished for his district. The straw that broke the camel’s back for me was a committee hearing in which Chang first disallows any follow-up questions by the council, but when Ann Kobayashi twists his arm, he relents. He’s either a wimp, or publicly plays favorites. “In the interest of time” should be stricken from the allowable vocabulary in politics. It is code for “I don’t give a f*ck what you think — I’m running this committee so the only voice I want to hear is my own” (unless you’re Ann Kobayashi).

USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old August 5th, 2014, 02:37 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Best Candidate for Congress, 1st District (Urban Honolulu)?

Is Mark Takai's name Mark Hard in translation? With a name like that, he should be in what line of work.