Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hale Heahea > Front Desk
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Left v. Right on HT

I didn't appreciate that I was lumped with all those other individuals with right wing views. It felt like I was on a police lineup for everyone to see.

How would you feel if I posted everyone with a liberal point of view on Hawaii Threads?

Nonetheless, I'm going to take a break from posting on HT and focus my time on Facebook, my blog, etc where I won't be embarrassed in this way.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:20 AM
Ali`i

I pretty much agree with Matapule on the fire issue.

Easy Mata. The shock will subside after time.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaguy View Post
I didn't appreciate that I was lumped with all those other individuals with right wing views. It felt like I was on a police lineup for everyone to see.
That seems a bit extreme, Aaron. You did mention in a previous post that you're going thru a stressful time right now. Might you be a little overly sensitive due to that stress?
Quote:
How would you feel if I posted everyone with a liberal point of view on Hawaii Threads?
I can't speak for anyone but myself and I know I'm more left of center; how far left I don't know. But, in all honesty, Aaron, if you posted my name as a liberal or left wing the way yours was posted as a conservative, it wouldn't bother me at all...because there was no attack, no negativity implied, no nuthin' that could or should embarrass anyone.
Quote:
Nonetheless, I'm going to take a break from posting on HT and focus my time on Facebook, my blog, etc where I won't be embarrassed in this way.
With all due respect, Aaron, I have absolutely no idea why you should feel embarrassed. But, the fact is you do so you're probably wise to step back and concentrate your efforts in other areas. But, please keep in mind that the internet is the internet and there will always be the chance that someone will write something in another forum that'll embarrass you just as much if not more. I'm sorry you're running away from something you perceive as a problem instead of engaging in mature dialogue about it with the intention of working it out. It's your choice, tho'.
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Just as the more left-leaning posters run the gamut from strongly liberal/progressive to just slightly left-of-center, there are many HT’ers who tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another. Amongst the ones who come to mind right away (and I know I am missing several others) are Mel, TimKona, Bobinator, Nobunaga, Walkoff Balk, Konaguy, Scrivener, CraigWatanabe, Sansei, NachoDaddy, Escondido100 and BJD392. There’s no dearth of conservative opinion expressed here.
Quote:
I thought I would be able to do a month long listening tour and not post and just read other people's posts for a month. I can't remember which politician had a listening tour. Anyway, I would be proud to be included in a group with the listed posters. This ragtag team with great pitching and timely hitting can result in THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT...
Why I was included with right wing views is a head scratcher? I'm sarcastic against both sides.
Now, back to my man cave.

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; November 10th, 2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: add
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
I pretty much agree with Matapule on the fire issue.

Easy Mata. The shock will subside after time.
Uaifi just had to call the paramedics! She told me that she couldn't figure out why, one minute I was happily harrassing people on my computer and the next, catatonic on the floor! The paramedics applied a defibrulator to me after determining that my account was up to date with the private EMT contractor.

I am still somewhat disoriented and in a state of shock, but I just have the urge to say, "Tim, I love you brah!"

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
I can't remember which politician had a listening tour.
It was Calvin Coolidge who was famous for being incommunicado. While President, he was a guest of William Randolph Hearst at San Simeon. At dinner, he was seated next to Marion Davies who was a bit inebriated (as usual). She leaned over to Coolidge and said, "I made a bet with Mr. Hearst that I could get you to say at least three words." To which Coolidge replied, "You lose."

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old November 10th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
If you want to do it, do it! or do you want me to do it for you?

Quote:
Fine, do whatever you need to do, you don't need permission from any one of us. Just do it and skip all the falderal.

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Ali`i

I find it amusing that at least two people I listed as being more to the right than to the left in the tone and content of their postings seem to be uncomfortable or confused with their being included. But one of them also said they would be proud to be included on such a list.

Are conservatives ashamed of being conservative in their views? For the most part, I doubt it. Some time ago, I made a post here that commented on how I felt conservative values have been a valuable element in our country - and I'm pretty far to the left (which everyone knows).

As for Aaron's "threat" to list lefties on HT - please be sure to put my name FIRST on that list. I am liberal. I am progressive. I am strong in my values and beliefs, and I do not insist that others hold the same - only that they respect my right to do so, and do not impose theirs upon me.
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
As for Aaron's "threat" to list lefties on HT - please be sure to put my name FIRST on that list..
I want to be put on the communist, fascist, muslim list (which I have been accused of a number of times), at least I'll have some good company there!

****I just noted I have reached 1776 posts. Do I feel patriotic or what!

****** (reply to Leo's comment below since I don't want to ruin my 1776 posts by adding a separate reply!)

What kind of salute? Das Vedanya Hora Sho........Sieg Heil.......or Allah Akbar. My accusors are confused about my affiliations! Actually, Malo'e Lelei Matapule would do just fine.

Last edited by matapule; November 10th, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: to show my patriotism
Old November 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matapule View Post
****I just noted I have reached 1776 posts. Do I feel patriotic or what!
Salute coming your way, my comrade.
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Ali`i

hey - you can list me as another leftie, liberal, progressive. and I'm also a registered Democrat! how radical can I get?
Old November 10th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
It was Calvin Coolidge who was famous for being incommunicado. While President, he was a guest of William Randolph Hearst at San Simeon. At dinner, he was seated next to Marion Davies who was a bit inebriated (as usual). She leaned over to Coolidge and said, "I made a bet with Mr. Hearst that I could get you to say at least three words." To which Coolidge replied, "You lose."
You know what? Coolidge gets a bad rap. Remember the "business of America is business" line of his? Read the rest of that speech. He was a lot more congenial and sympathetic than that line would indicate. I looked it up once a while back. When I read that I decided I'd been too harsh toward Silent Cal's memory.
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Just as the more left-leaning posters run the gamut from strongly liberal/progressive to just slightly left-of-center, there are many HT’ers who tend to fall more often to the right side of the spectrum to one degree or another. Amongst the ones who come to mind right away (and I know I am missing several others) are Mel, TimKona, Bobinator, Nobunaga, Walkoff Balk, Konaguy, Scrivener, CraigWatanabe, Sansei, NachoDaddy, Escondido100 and BJD392. There’s no dearth of conservative opinion expressed here.
I feel like I'm in The Dirty Dozen. I have to be like Jim Brown in the movie by taking one for the team by running zigzag and dropping grenades against too leftist views. I think Konaguy might have gone rogue like Telly Savales in the movie and did his own thing.
I can hear the background music beat as we 12 walk in slow motion.
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Salute coming your way, my comrade.
I wouldn't say the word comrade instead of words such as friend or buddy.
In America, I write a post. In Soviet Union, post writes you.
In America, I can read a blog. In Soviet Union, blog reads you.
In America, I watch tv. In Soviet Union, tv watches you.
That's my impression of David Letterman doing Yakmov Shirmoff.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I feel like I'm in The Dirty Dozen.
Only you, WO, can put yourslf in "the Dirty Dozen", no one else can. Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.

That'll be 5 cents for my advice.

And, BTW,

In America, a private company can foreclose on your house without reading the paperwork
In America, the Government can wiretap your phone without proper cause or court order
In America, we can ignore the Geneva Conventions that we signed and torture prisoners........but no other nation should
In America, we can invade a nation (Iraq) with a manufactured excuse (WMDs)

AND IN AMERICA WE ARE FREE TO POST ON THE INTERNET WHATEVER OUR OPINION MIGHT BE INCLUDING CALLING SOMEONE COMRADE, BUDDY, OR KAUME'A

Last edited by matapule; November 11th, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Ali`i

I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I wouldn't say the word comrade instead of words such as friend or buddy.
If you follow my posting style, you'll know that I choose my words deliberately, with clear knowledge of their power.
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Ali`i

Dang. I was nosy. I should have stayed out.

This thread makes me SAD.

I'm sorry Aaron.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old November 11th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
I can't find Kaume'a in any of the dictionaries, could you please define it? Thanks
Tongan for "friends."

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Ali`i

Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.
Old November 11th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalalau View Post
Mahalo. If I may ask, what are some other useful Tongan words? Hoaloha is friend in Hawaiian.
Malo'e lelei (hello, good day)
Malo 'aupito (thank you very much)
mahalo (perhaps)
oiaue (oh my goodness, oiy ya WEH)
palangi (European, foreigner)
Oku i'fe oe falemalolo? (where is the toilet?)
matapule (talking chief, speaks on behalf of the noble, mah tah POO leh)
Matapule, okuke ngahi oe tu'umama'o! (Matapule, you are full of bull!)

And to keep this on topic, these words are the same for Tongans whether they are left or right.....handed.

Old November 12th, 2010, 12:27 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Are conservatives ashamed of being conservative in their views? For the most part, I doubt it.
I'm not, but the mapped thread shows I'm more in the middle, both left/right and up/down. I identify myself with conservative values even though I hold socially liberal ideals.

As one example of how things cross out, I support death penalty (Right) but I also support abortion (traditionally left) which equals "middle" mathematically.

Fiscally, I'm conservative, since I prefer limited government touching my hard-earned money. And no, I 100% disagree with sharing what I rightfully earned with people who didn't do anything to deserve it. I give to the economy by being a good tipper to my favorite waitresses at restaurants

Last edited by bjd392; November 12th, 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Quit playing the martyr. If you want to play arbitrary movie themes, I feel I'm part of "the Three Amigos (bump, bump)" whatever political theme YOU want to put me in.

Take control of your life and reallize your own self-actualization (google Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs). Otherwise you are destined to wander through life feeling like the victim.
You can be in The Three Amigos. I want to be in The Three Stooges. I'm a Victim of Circumstance, Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk, Ruff, Ruff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-YpzGsO0V0

I don't think it's healthy to just follow the far right or far left point of view. I live my life from the mantra (not martyr) of
I've looked at life from both sides now.
From up and down and still somehow.
It's life's illusions I recall.
I really don't know life at all.
Whoever sang that song. She must be a saint.
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:58 AM
Ali`i

It's healthy if thats where your beliefs lie - right or left. Anything else is just waffling on one's whole system of values. Thats what forms your viewpoints
Old November 12th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ali`i

Are you saying it's healthy to dig a hole, jump in and bury yourself? Sure, it's healthy for me if you do so - one less cancerous corpuscle with which to contend. [No personal offense intended or complementary obligation to praise or condemn my malignant hyperbole] No waffling now, you dig it, jump in and ... relish in the glory of your own soil - how patriotic. Nothing could be healthier.

Yahoo or hooRAH!

[Classified ad: 'Hammer seeks nails to drive home.'] Ouch.

Last edited by salmoned; November 12th, 2010 at 02:17 PM.