Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Honua > The American Asylum
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Obama Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaveice View Post
while working on my computer, i typically have the tv on and saw obama on oprah last night and he did come across as a level headed guy trying to do good.

if the image he's projecting is accurate, he'd be the last person to want people gawking at him and making a fuss over him. he's got two daughters and he claims they (along with his wife) keep him grounded.

time will tell if he lives up to the image or if he'll turn into another professional politician with all characteristics that money can buy...
He does seem like an extremely intelligent guy, honest and real.

Wouldn't it be nice?
Old December 30th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
He does seem like an extremely intelligent guy, honest and real.

Wouldn't it be nice?
oh yes; it would be. i've got my fingers crossed. btw, you probably already know this but he was the first african american president of the harvard law review...
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
oh yes; it would be. i've got my fingers crossed. btw, you probably already know this but he was the first african american president of the harvard law review...
I really don't know a heckuva lot about him at this point. I'm sure we'll all learn more as time goes by.
How terrific it would be to have someone we could truly believe in.
What a concept, eh?
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Ali`i

Stanley Crouch makes a clear distinction between Black American (what most blacks in America are) and African-American, which is what Obama is, in this column. What Obama isn't: black like me
The implication is that our society is still not ready to elect someone who has lived the Black American experience.
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
Stanley Crouch makes a clear distinction between Black American (what most blacks in America are) and African-American, which is what Obama is, in this column. What Obama isn't: black like me
The implication is that our society is still not ready to elect someone who has lived the Black American experience.
I would hardly say that Obama has lived the Black American experience!
What a joke!

Not too many black americans are fortunate enough to attend Punahou!
Old December 30th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Ali`i

So far what I have learned about him I really, really like. That goes for his wife, Michelle, too. On Oprah they both spoke about family life and the reason the family still resides in Illinois while Obama commutes to DC...instead of the family moving to DC. He spoke of his multi racial family (his mother is caucasian and his sister has an Asian father) and the United Nations look during family reunions! He spoke about banning the use of corporate jets (I'm not sure if that's a personal decision or for all Senators as I received a phone call at that time). When Oprah wanted Obama to go to Africa with her on her corporate jet he turned her down. He took his family to Africa the conventional way!

Obama seems to be a man of integrity with a seriously great head on his shoulders. But, alas, can the majority of voting citizens wrap their heads around the concept of voting in someone who just might bring hope?

Oh wait...he hasn't even announced his intentions yet!
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Ali`i

Dream ticket: John Edwards for Prez and Barack Obama for VP. Guarans that the moderate Dems would be in power at least 16 years!

Miulang
Old December 30th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Ali`i

a security guard and i were talking about obama and the security guard suggested that hillary and obama should team up and i said that i doubt either wants to be v.p. so i doubt that'll ever happen! listening to obama talk for about an hour on oprah was easy. he's pleasant, seems focused, seems down-to-earth, etc. he strikes me as being someone who wants to make as big an impact as possible and it's hard for me to imagine him accepting the #2 spot. i think he has big ambitions and dreams and while he may settle for #2 in order to get to #1, my guess is that he's going for #1...
Old December 30th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
a security guard and i were talking about obama and the security guard suggested that hillary and obama should team up and i said that i doubt either wants to be v.p. so i doubt that'll ever happen! [...]
I was thinking the exact same thing and arrived at the same conclusion! Just the thought of a qualified ticket consisting of a female and someone with African-American ancestry is exciting to me. I'd love to see that happen in my lifetime.
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
He does seem like an extremely intelligent guy, honest and real. Wouldn't it be nice?
Sure would. And heck, you just gotta root for the guy with local ties! I still think he may be jumping the gun for 2008, but he'd probably get my vote, whenever he runs, should he end up the Democratic candidate.

There was an interesting commentary in the Dallas Morning News a while back. I had no idea Obama smoked, wouldn't have thought it an issue, anyway, but find the analysis of the "tactically perfect vice" to be interesting. I still think about it when the press coverage on him borders on the embarassingly reverent.

Where vice is a virtue
Quote:
On the one hand, it sets Mr. Obama apart from the likes of Al Gore and John Kerry, who suffered from the public perception that they had been training for the White House – and thus forgoing (or burying) foolish diversions like smoking – since they were teens. And, on the other hand, it may serve to shield him from what could be the major knock on Hillary Clinton – that she is an eat-your-vegetables type who wants to impose her yuppified abstemiousness on the rest of us.
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing and arrived at the same conclusion! Just the thought of a qualified ticket consisting of a female and someone with African-American ancestry is exciting to me. I'd love to see that happen in my lifetime.
This is not going to happen, not if the woman is Hilary and the African American is Barack. Their previous Senate voting records show that they voted on opposite sides at least FORTY times, including on major issues like Iraq (she voted for funding, he didn't). On the political spectrum, Obama is more akin to John Edwards than Hilary.

Miulang
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
This is not going to happen, not if the woman is Hilary and the African American is Barack.[...]
Ok...then I'll opt for Barack and Oprah!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
Ali`i

You people are all a twitter over the prospect of anybody other than any conservative running or winning the next election. Clinton, Obama, et al.

We must get rid of God, raise taxes, cancel Christmas, increase entitlement spending, let teenagers get abortions without parental consent, support NAMBLA, send sex-offenders to "counseling", teach sex-ed to 7 year olds in the public schools, deny private school tuition assistance to the underpriveledged, eliminate "private" property, be careful of what we say so as not to offend anybody, and allow lawlessness to proliferate everywhere on the planet, including within our own country.

I'm starting to see things more clearly.

PS Miulang - Show me the Edwards/Obama ticket, and I might consider it viable. Versus McCain/Giuliani, I would stay conservertive though.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timkona View Post
You people are all a twitter over the prospect of anybody other than any conservative running or winning the next election. Clinton, Obama, et al.

We must get rid of God, raise taxes, cancel Christmas, increase entitlement spending, let teenagers get abortions without parental consent, support NAMBLA, send sex-offenders to "counseling", teach sex-ed to 7 year olds in the public schools, deny private school tuition assistance to the underpriveledged, eliminate "private" property, be careful of what we say so as not to offend anybody, and allow lawlessness to proliferate everywhere on the planet, including within our own country.

I'm starting to see things more clearly.

PS Miulang - Show me the Edwards/Obama ticket, and I might consider it viable. Versus McCain/Giuliani, I would stay conservertive though.
You forgot undermine the institution of marriage. Support NAMBLA? You're nothing if not over the top, Tim.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Ali`i

I'm not sure how you perceive ME as over the top, when I am simply reiterating positions held by pillars of the liberal community such as the ACLU.

How does that make ME over the top Sinjin??
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am referring to: an Edwards/Obama ticket of moderates. You want a conservative Republican ticket? It sure ain't McCain/Giuliani! You'd need more of a Mitt Romney and I dunno yet (Newt Gingrich, maybe?). Both McCain and Giuliani are way too liberal for you to consider.

Miulang

Last edited by Miulang; January 2nd, 2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I'm not sure how you perceive ME as over the top, when I am simply reiterating positions held by pillars of the liberal community such as the ACLU.

How does that make ME over the top Sinjin??
The ACLU does not construct the Democratic Party platform, Tim. The ACLU has defended the KKK as well. How many Klansmen vote Democratic these days would you suppose?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:16 PM
Ali`i

Now come on Sin....the ACLU is not focused on the KKK nearly as much as it is upon the myriad number of liberal issues that it supports. That kind of comparison is just crazy.

But the real point is that you lableled ME as over the top for the NAMBLA reference. That's like killing the messenger.

The ACLU is a fundamentally wickedly bad organization at it's core. There are many people who blindly support these evil doers because of dogmatic ignorance. You find these folks on the left side of the political coin much more often than on the right.

And in case I have not made it clear enough, then you can check yourself that the ACLU has defended NAMBLA in court, and they have defended minors in their efforts to keep medical secrets from their parents.

The shocking part of it is that there are lots of Americans who would agree with both of those ideas.

Obama has a much better shot at getting elected than Clinton simply because the black community has more traditional roots, akin to conservative values.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The shocking part of it is that there are lots of Americans who would agree with both of those ideas.
Not shocking as I am one of those Americans. You're over the top because you implied the Democratic Party supports Nambla. Tell me Tim, does the The New York State Bar Association support organised crime?
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:52 PM
Ali`i

I did not imply that the Democratic Party supports NAMBLA.
The Dem Party supports the ACLU. The ACLU supports NAMBLA.
If A then B. If B then C. Therefore, If A then C.
The Dem Party clearly supports NAMBLA. Perhaps, by that logic, then Dems support the KKK also. It is a known fact that liberal policies embrace racism.

And you honestly think that minors should be allowed to have medical procedures performed upon them without parental consent??
Old January 2nd, 2007, 04:55 PM
Ali`i

I didn't even know there was a National Association of American Rock Stars, but even they are worried about the star power of Barack Obama!

Barack Obama is a bigger draw than Aerosmith and Metallica? Maybe there's some hope for the younger generation after all. I think John Kennedy was the last politician who drew this much attention from the younger crowd.

Miulang
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
And you honestly think that minors should be allowed to have medical procedures performed upon them without parental consent??
Gee, I don't know Tim. Should rapists be able to get parental visitation? Or maybe slave owners should have been consulted before anyone got behind the Emancipation Proclamation.

And btw http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/prote...s20000831.html

Last edited by sinjin; January 2nd, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2007, 05:53 PM
Ali`i

TK - what if the parent who is required to give consent is the one who caused the problem requiring a "medical procedure" as you so delicately put it? Do you still believe that a teenager can't make this decision herself? or are you one of those folks who still believe that providing condoms & birth control information encourages teenagers to have sex?

as for the ACLU - they don't "support" these organizations but they will defend them in a court of law. Whether we agree with them or not, and many times I don't - I'm still glad to have the ACLU there to defend all of our rights.

and isn't this getting a bit "off thread" ?

Last edited by anapuni808; January 2nd, 2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: (added additional comment)
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Dream ticket: John Edwards for Prez and Barack Obama for VP. Guarans that the moderate Dems would be in power at least 16 years!
I like the ticket in reverse, Obama Pres, and Edwards Vice Pres. Whether Obama is Black American, or African/American makes no difference to me. What is awesome is he is not another millionaire running for Office. This is my problem with Edwards. He's a millionaire Ambulance Chaser, even with his speech of two Americas....he loses touch with the "average joe". Barak, on the other hand has got charisma jumping off of him in all directions. I was sold on Barak Obama the night he made to opening speech at the Democratic Convention. I was pulled in that night, and still feel close to his ideas today, nothing has changed in my opinion.

Dems don't need Hillary to win, they need Barak to lead the charge to the promise land. Unless the "Dirt Farmer from Crawford", pulls out a magic bunny from his arse....anybody who runs in 2008 against the GOP should win pretty easily in my opinion.
I lived through the "Watergate Fiasco",and that was nothing compared to what GW Bush has done to this great nation of ours. He has shamed us beyond belief! I think Barak is the only one who could reverse the misconception that the world has of us thanks in part to the Bush Administration!!!!!

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am referring to: an Edwards/Obama ticket of moderates. You want a conservative Republican ticket? It sure ain't McCain/Giuliani! You'd need more of a Mitt Romney and I dunno yet (Newt Gingrich, maybe?). Both McCain and Giuliani are way too liberal for you to consider.
McCain?!?!??!??!?!? He is showing his true colors these days isn't he? Once considered a GOP Maverick....is hardly that these days! He is just another GOP whore looking under garbage for votes. Newt Gingrich, no more Clinton to try and kick around. Gingrich is yesterdays news, even within his own party, actually especially within his own party!

As for Rudy Giuliani, people can't remember Rudy past 9/11. He stood up everyday addressing the New York public and America during the 9/11 crisis. So a lot of Americans will support him on that alone, until they find out that he's for abortions. But liberal he's not! Rudy before 9/11 was one of the most hated individuals in all of New York Politics. He was a jerk of major purportions
Old January 6th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Luna

Wait just a minute.

Obama may or may not be as wealthy as Edwards (who no longer has to disclose since he is out of the Senate), but Obama is quite clearly a millionaire if you look at his disclosure form for 2005 (PDF). Obama took in $1.9M for a book advance alone.

I still think it is far too early to form a solid opinion about candidates for 2008(!), so don't consider this an endorsement for or against any candidate.

Last edited by poinographer; January 6th, 2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typos
Closed Thread