Doctor Who on SciFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who on SciFi

There was a promo on the SciFi Channel saying that they will be showing a new Doctor Who series starting on March 17.

Re: Doctor Who on SciFi

I saw that while we were watching SG Atlantis - sounds interesting.

Comment

If you're curious, it premieres tonight. Here's a review by the New York Times:
      Like so much British science fiction, especially Douglas Adams's "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series, this "Doctor Who" has a goofy, homemade quality; it's less interested in gizmos than in characters.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        If you're curious, it premieres tonight. Here's a review by the New York Times:
        Thanks for the heads up and the link. We will watch and see if it meets our rather low standards for sci-fi entertainment!

Comment

just watched the last 15 minutes of dr who and it's pretty quirky; much funnier than i thought it be. (was the first 45 minutes good?)
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I am a fickle fickle person. I was so sad to hear that Christopher Eccleston was not going to be the Doctor beyond the first season. I couldn't imagine him being replaced. But David Tennant. mmmmmm, David Tennant is a very good Doctor. Sad to hear that
            Billie Piper will be leaving the show
            , though.
            Last edited by Adri; October 9, 2006, 12:03 AM.

Comment

ive watched all of it already, im suprised that theyre airing s02 already. maybe this will mean s03 will be aired the same time when the next season starts?
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Eccleston did breath new life into the role of Doctor Who.
                But in the Doctor Who tradition that new actor dawns the role towards the end of the season. Also I heard that he did not wanna play the role anymore. So either way a new doctor changes each season supposedly. Tennant who was in the last Harry Potter movie I hate to say is excellent and kinda goes one step up from Eccleston from S1. And actress and former pop singer Billie Piper also compliments as the gal in tow.

Comment

I don't think there is a new Doctor for each season. Part of the canon of the show is that a time lord can only regenerate twelve times and Tennant is the Tenth Doctor. So if they had a new doctor for every season, then the show ends in two more seasons after Tenant. However, I did read that Eccleston only agreed to play the Doctor for one season only and that people hoped he'd change his mind but he didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
                    IPart of the canon of the show is that a time lord can only regenerate twelve times and Tennant is the Tenth Doctor. So if they had a new doctor for every season, then the show ends in two more seasons after Tenant.
                    Feh, technicalities!! Heck, how many times did they kill and bring back Buffy?

And (putting on my geek hat for sure here now) it's technically possible for a time lord to regenerate more than their allotted times, because The Master did it. I'm not sure that was part of the TV show continuity or in the comic books or something, but it happened between the end of McCoy's run and the American TV movie (where he makes yet another run at regeneration).

I've been wondering about that though. They can't be too blaise about knocking off Doctors now.

Comment

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                      Feh, technicalities!! Heck, how many times did they kill and bring back Buffy?
                      heh, one too many times, depending on which side of the fandom you belong to

Originally posted by Bard View Post
                      And (putting on my geek hat for sure here now) it's technically possible for a time lord to regenerate more than their allotted times, because The Master did it. I'm not sure that was part of the TV show continuity or in the comic books or something, but it happened between the end of McCoy's run and the American TV movie (where he makes yet another run at regeneration).

I've been wondering about that though. They can't be too blaise about knocking off Doctors now.
                      Ahhhhhh, outgeeked! hee! The truth is that I only started watching Doctor Who from last year and havena gone back to the original series or other various and sundry incarnations of the show or the character. But I do not doubt that they'd find some clever way around the 12 reincarnation limit if it came to that. It is Sci-Fi after all. *g*

Comment

Heheh, sorry for the uber-geeking there I started watching Dr Who on PBS as a kid, with John Pertwee (Doctor #3), and watched it off and on all the way up through McCoy (Doctor #7). I've just been recently catching up again since the new Eccleston ones came out. Those were totally awesome... completely in the spirit of the campiness and cheesiness of the originals, same (or better) great writing quality, but actually good special effects.

As a long time Dr Who fanboy, I have to say my favorite part of the new ones so far... EEEELEVATE!

(You always had to wonder, seeing them stop at stairs and somehow end up at the top later...)

Comment

So season 3 started a few weeks ago. Episode 3 was this past weekend. So far Its been better then Season 2, even tho
                          Rose is no longer on the show

Anyone else watching?
                          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Yes!! Liking the new season quite a bit. I'm glad they've toned down the American-style overly dramatic puke-cam antics, and brought back a bit of the old-school camp. That whole Shakespeare episode was full of classic Dr Who cheesy goodness.

Basically I was starting to get tired in the second season of the episodes looking like something Sci-Fi would produce...

Still not liking the Tennant as much as Eccleston, but I'll take it over nothing

Comment

Ya know Eccleston was not happy playing The Doctor...
                              He was asked to stay on but wanted out ASAP thus entering Tennant....
                              I think Tennant is great and adds depth to the role.
                              Since the revival from S1 each one gets better and better

Comment

Working...
                              X