Digital TV Over The Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Digital TV Over The Air

What volume of people watch the sub channels? And what the other stations have out there doesn't drive people to want to watch either.

You need to justify the cost of the affiliation agreement with the revenue you can generate. And even syndicated content is not cheap.

There are ideas out there, but I'd like to think more out of the box... Something new that the public really wants to see.

Comment

Originally posted by KGMB9 View Post
      [...]
      There are ideas out there, but I'd like to think more out of the box... Something new that the public really wants to see.
      Years ago I yearned for a cable channel devoted strictly to all things Hawaii related. There was a discussion about it on usenet at soc.culture.hawaii. OMG...I found it!!! It's from 1998! Take a look.

Anyway, the discussion revolves around the dream of a Hawaii cable channel available nationwide. Regardless, there were some good ideas being bantered about and I still like the idea of a channel with various programming, all related to Hawaii. Or, would that just be another OC16?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Anyway, the discussion revolves around the dream of a Hawaii cable channel available nationwide. Regardless, there were some good ideas being bantered about and I still like the idea of a channel with various programming, all related to Hawaii. Or, would that just be another OC16?
        Well, OC16 does have a lot of local programming as is better than Olelo quality in the production.

Have you seen http://pacificnetwork.tv/? It's Edgy Lee's project and is building up in content. I do like the concept, but not sure of the viewership.

Tell me what you think of it (I'm sure there's another thread, but it has been a while since launch). I bump into her once in a while and am curious.

Comment

What volume of people watch the sub channels? And what the other stations have out there doesn't drive people to want to watch either.

You need to justify the cost of the affiliation agreement with the revenue you can generate. And even syndicated content is not cheap.

Probably not that much out of the box, but what about repeats of KGMB newscasts around the clock?

Comment

Originally posted by l14dap View Post
            Probably not that much out of the box, but what about repeats of KGMB newscasts around the clock?
            That would be a good idea as a placeholder for such a channel.

Getting newscasts that you missed would definitely give OTA TV an edge over having to pay extra for the same feature as an Oceanic Digital $ubscriber.

A Hawaii only content channel with news would be cool too. Combine Tutusue's idea (pick up Edgy Lee's network?) and a rotation of KGMB newscasts or at least snippets.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well, OC16 does have a lot of local programming as is better than Olelo quality in the production.

Have you seen http://pacificnetwork.tv/? It's Edgy Lee's project and is building up in content. I do like the concept, but not sure of the viewership.

Tell me what you think of it (I'm sure there's another thread, but it has been a while since launch). I bump into her once in a while and am curious.
              I heard about Edgy's project but had not looked at it in depth. Thanks for the link. There was a brief discussion on HT here. I think the site is very cool; good content, nice visuals, very professional. My personal reservation about it is that I prefer to watch video on TV, not a computer. I've learned that's age related!

I noticed KGMB is providing content. Gotta love the old shows! In addition to the web site, I'd love to see Edgy's project as it's own channel.

Oh, and I got to see a commercial I cast that I'd never seen before!

Comment

Wasn't there some kind of rule/law requiring cable to carry the local stations? So what happens in the digital world? Are they required to carry your subchannels as well?

Or are the sub channel viewers limited to OTA?

I thinking some combination of time-shifting the main channel and doing a "best of" the main channel.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  ... I thinking some combination of time-shifting the main channel and doing a "best of" the main channel.
                  i'd be all for that! It'd be a boon for those of us who work during "Prime Time" hours.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Wasn't there some kind of rule/law requiring cable to carry the local stations? So what happens in the digital world? Are they required to carry your subchannels as well?
                    I don't know if that is still valid today about requiring carriage of local channels. These days the local OTA channels and cable companies get into a fit regarding fees for the cable firm to carry the local channel. That is why a lot of people with HDTV were upset I believe regarding the slowness of Oceanic to carry KGMB's HDTV.

Plus the cable company puts the sub-channels only on their digital cable service and not analog (slightly cheaper) standard or basic service. So I don't think there is a requirement that all of the local channels have to be carried by cable (or even satellite) providers.

For example, KHON 2.2 is CW 93 and available on cable only to those who get digital cable and not for people who have older TV's and prefer not to subscribe to digital cable and the expensive monthly fee for the cable box. Most analog cable TV subscribers can plug their cable directly into their "cable ready" TV and not pay an extra fee for the box. (That is me).

And certainly Oceanic is not carrying the 4 sub-channels for KAAH and KPXO to my knowledge. Or are they? Anyone with digital cable want to confirm this? Oceanic doesn't carry low power TV stations such as KHLU, KUPU and KKAI.

Now is a good time to re-evaluate your TV viewing options. With the advent of OTA DTV, for people who do not want to pay a monthly fee to cable or satellite now have a pretty good option to just go with free TV OTA. The signal when you get it is very nice (or you have nothing at all).

In the Honolulu metro area you can get at least 22 to 25 free OTA channels of varying content. Hopefully in the future the OTA broadcast stations put some compelling content on the sub-channels that can lure people away from the expensive monthly fees of Oceanic and their ilk.
                    Last edited by mel; January 17, 2009, 08:09 AM. Reason: fix typos
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                      I don't know if that is still valid today about requiring carriage of local channels. These days the local OTA channels and cable companies get into a fit regarding fees
                      True dat.

Plus the cable company puts the sub-channels only on their digital cable service and not analog (slightly cheaper) standard or basic service. [...] For example, KHON 2.2 is CW 93 and available on cable only to those who get digital cable and not for people who have older TV's and prefer not to subscribe to digital cable and the expensive monthly fee for the cable box. Most analog cable TV subscribers can plug their cable directly into their "cable ready" TV and not pay an extra fee for the box. (That is me).
                      Uh, do you have to subscribe to digital service? I was getting the impression that I could just jack in the cable into my digital tuner and get a number of digital channels for free. Certainly there's no requirement for Oceanic to break out the digital streams into analog channels - that's not OTA. OTOH, if they were to just carry the raw digital stream as broadcast, then all digital-capable sets would be able to get all the subchannels.

I think analog will disappear from the cable within a couple of years. That will free up channels for more content or more Internet bandwidth. All the people with old sets can use converter boxes (which will start appearing in garage sales as older sets get replaced.) Oceanic isn't going to cater to people with legacy hardware forever.

Now is a good time to re-evaluate your TV viewing options. With the advent of OTA DTV, for people who do not want to pay a monthly fee to cable or satellite now have a pretty good option to just go with free TV OTA. The signal when you get it is very nice (or you have nothing at all).
                      If the local stations would carry Discovery, National Geographic and stuff like that, I just might ditch cable. There's only a few channels I watch (and almost none of network TV). Ditching a $45.50/month service will help in these tight times. Heck, two months of cable bill will buy me a converter box and a nice antenna to go with it. That's a savings of $546/year! Phone service? HawaiianTel is cheaper - assuming you even want to keep a "home" phone. Broadband? HawaiianTel is cheaper.

Now all that's needed is some content to cover what I'd loose. (Oh, but the fight it would create between broadcasters and cable! )

Comment

Possibly, but we need to figure out what... What would you like to see on the sub channel? We've talked about breaking out the March Madness games, but still just looking.
                        That would be a good start.

How about a sub-channel for [football/baseball/basketball] widow(er)s?
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Apparently KHNL had NBC weather on 13-2 but now have nothing. Moving MyNetwork TV to 13-2 may be a good idea. Just keep KFVE as all UH sports and verious syndicated shows and secondary news times.
                          Actually, for non-Oahu viewers, 13-2 should be KFVE, IMHO. I need my UH sports fix but on Molokai, I can't catch low-powered channel 27 (or whatever digital channel it is now broadcasting on Maui island).

It will be interesting to see if and what KIKU and KBFD add to their secondary channels if anything at all. Probably more ethnic programs if they can reach enough audience and make money from them.
                          Perhaps for non-Oahu viewers, KITV4 could lease their vacant sub-channel 4-3 for KIKU or KBFD.
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
                            Perhaps for non-Oahu viewers, KITV4 could lease their vacant sub-channel 4-3 for KIKU or KBFD.
                            Keep in mind that the channel is just data. The sub-channels are created by degrading the bit-rate of the main channel. I'm not sure if there are any sub-channels when running HD on the main.

As I understand it, action sports are some of the most challenging in the bit-rate department, so it may not be a good choice for sub-channels.

Comment

Possibly, but we need to figure out what... What would you like to see on the sub channel? We've talked about breaking out the March Madness games, but still just looking.
                              How about an expanded news cast? Given the challenges that seem to be facing the daily papers across the nation, it might be a good time to build up broadcast news.

Comment

Is anyone who is picking up Maui's site receiving Ch. 15, KOGG, KHNL's relay?

Here in Haiku, we receive all the desired stations except KOGG, the KHNL Maui transmitter on ch 15. The site is actually on the other side of "giggle hill" from my home and probably just below the rise. So we have what could safely be called a fringe signal.
                                There is some pixalization and some choppy audio, which has occurred on every channel at one time or another, but the digital signal is what they said it would be.
                                My question is about the ch.15 KOGG signal I get nothing in that spot and wonder if anyone else receiving the new Ulupalakua site is picking up a KHNL station.

Comment

Working...
                                X