'11 Pro Bowl - anybody care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '11 Pro Bowl - anybody care?

With 20 years of high caliber tradition tossed off, allowing us to totally forget about it, plus the stupidity of keeping the game played AFTER the Super Bowl which will insure that most premier players will be absent, and then with the season completely over... who even gives a rip about it? It's glory days were pau years back (and I'm in the minority that saw it as still worthy), now it's like watching a lame pony. The league's got a major overhaul due if they expect to recoup the losses of their own making or try to get it back to what it once was.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Pro_Bowl
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: '11 Pro Bowl - anbody care?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    With 20 years of high caliber tradition tossed off, allowing us to totally forget about it, plus the stupidity of keeping the game played AFTER the Super Bowl which will insure that most premier players will be absent, and then with the season completely over... who even gives a rip about it?
    FYI, this year's Pro Bowl is being played BEFORE the Super Bowl.

It's glory days were pau years back (and I'm in the minority that saw it as still worthy), now it's like watching a lame pony.
    Tell me,.... when was the Pro Bowl not a "lame pony," as far as the game itself is concerned? No motion, no trips receivers, no blitzes, no press/bump coverage, no 5-6 DB sets, must be in 4-3 defense, intentional grounding not called, etc. etc. etc.

The Pro Bowl concept was never about delivering a great, exciting football game to the fans. Basically, the on-field product is a glorified scrimmage being played by all-stars. The greatest value that the Pro Bowl provides is an economic boost to whatever city is hosting. That was true back in 1980. It remains so today.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Once upon a time...

I'll guess you didn't go to the same games I did in the 80s, or the practices, or enjoyed meeting the historic players, coaches, and Humble Howard Cosell. There was lots of fun to be had, especially when it was still 'real' in the early 80s, and the games often had some 3rd but mostly 4th quarter action, serious action.
      I'm happy being part of the minority that found the Pro Bowl diamonds in the dust, those days are long over.

Comment

This is only an exhibition. So, no betting.

Comment

Re: Once upon a time...

There was lots of fun to be had, especially when it was still 'real' in the early 80s, and the games often had some 3rd but mostly 4th quarter action, serious action.
          Game? What game??? No blitzing, no intentional grounding rule, mandatory 4-3 defensive alignment.... whatever "game" you were watching at Aloha Stadium in the '80s wasn't genuine NFL football. It's just an exhibition of all-star players putting on the helmets, pads, and going through the motion. Granted, with all the talent on the AFC & NFC rosters, it's inevitable you'll see amazing displays of athleticism during this exhibition. But your mistaking all that activity for a real football game,..... that says it all.

You're right about Pro Bowl practices being excellent opportunities for autograph and handshake seekers. This was true in 1980s,.... but it's still true today. Or were you under the mistaken impression that Pro Bowl practices are no longer open to the public?

And finally,.... you're the first person I've encountered who considered the late Howard Cosell as a Pro Bowl attraction. You're not serious about this, right?
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Put some sugar in that lemon juice...

I never went expecting the highest calibur of play for an entire game or much at all, but it looks like I went to the right handfull of games because they were all quite worthy, but that was a different NFL. I guess I was lucky to miss the ones you saw so heres wishing you better luck in a parallel NFL universe.

Have no clue or care what the schedules are now.

The nattily attired Howard with his big stogie was a very pleasant surprise, and he was cool, at least that day. The fans were deffinitely attracted to him, and seeing/meeting him gave a whole new appreciation of the legend. You should have been there!

Comment

I would like to know who the h*** deleted my comment? it wasn''t much but still a posting.
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

my day can't continue til I know!

In a forum depression such as this one is stuggling thru it'd be silly to delete any post that conformed to rules. Are you sure it got in the thread, what was it?

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                  I would like to know who the h*** deleted my comment? it wasn''t much but still a posting.
                  Did you eventually receive a PM explaining why it was deleted? Possibly there was a software hiccup that coincided with your post submission.

Comment

Re: '11 Pro Bowl - anybody care?

Fans get to run on the Aloha Stadium field because there's no tackling in the Pro Bowl.

Comment

The players' problem with the Pro Bowl is "Why risk a career ending injury for a silly $50,000 exhibition game?"

I say turn the show into an Olympics style event. Weightlifting, Races, Skill Contests, Some Pro-Am fun stuff, lots of contact with fans, etc etc

We all want to know who is truly the fastest man in the NFL? Hester? Asoumgha? Or the strongest man? Ngata? Oher? Or the most accurate passer? Brady? Brees? Rivers?
                      FutureNewsNetwork.com
                      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Seems it was a success at all it hoped for, and included a good game for the fans.
                        But they shot themselves in the foot by killing off momentum/tradition and no Super Bowl players, even practice access is less available now.
                        Last edited by Ron Whitfield; January 31, 2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                          The players' problem with the Pro Bowl is "Why risk a career ending injury for a silly $50,000 exhibition game?"

I say turn the show into an Olympics style event. Weightlifting, Races, Skill Contests, Some Pro-Am fun stuff, lots of contact with fans, etc etc

We all want to know who is truly the fastest man in the NFL? Hester? Asoumgha? Or the strongest man? Ngata? Oher? Or the most accurate passer? Brady? Brees? Rivers?
                          True, the last things the players want when they come to Hawaii is getting hurt. But even "non-contact" events carry risks. The most notorious example is former Patriots RB Robert Edwards blowing out his knee in an NFL-sanctioned rookie flag football exhibition at Waikiki Beach and came perilously close to having his leg amputated.

Comment

The play yesterday was ludicrous at some points - but it was clear the players and fans were having fun, and comments from players were nearly universal in wanting the game to stay in Hawaii. But will there even be a regular season next year? To be determined . . .

Comment

Working...
                            X