Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another old eatery closes...

OCEAN VIEW INN CLOSING IN KONA

The landmark Ocean View Inn on Ali'i Drive in Kona is closing this weekend after more than 70 years of serving Chinese and local food.

Customers over the years included many celebrities. Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, James Stewart and Roy Rogers all ate at the restaurant. Ronald Kam and his family have run the eatery since his grandmother served her first meal there in 1934.

"There's mixed emotions," Kam said of the closing. "Each of us had something here. It was our life. On Sunday there will be no celebration. We'll just fade into the sunset."

Miulang

Here's the Star Bulletin's take on it.
    Last edited by Miulang; August 5, 2005, 06:32 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Another old eatery closes...

Well since the old Wisteria thread is closed and locked, I have nowhere to make this post mortem. Passed by the location this afternoon at the corner of King and Piikoi... the bulldozers have smashed the entire building down. Nothing but rubble there, soon to be carted away and in its place the rising of a new 7 Eleven fast food store and maybe gas station.... only less than 2 blocks from the other one a little further up on Piikoi.

In an effort to keep this thread on topic... my lousy 2 cents on the old Ocean View Inn in Kailua Kona. It has been about 3 decades since I last ate there, back in the late 1970s I believe. When we were kids my parents took me there whenever we were in Kona. Ocean View had the best fried rice in Kona.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It also served the best French Toast, and cheap papaya for breakfast. I'd take my son there for breakfast on mornings he was going to be late to school due to his dentist appointments in Kona.
      The building is on a million(ssss) dollar location in center of waterfront Alii Drive, it will be interesting to see what becomes of the site. I bet it will be something that we can't afford to patronize.

Comment

Joining the list is Elephant & Castle in Aiea. Owner Emilio Quiton sounds pretty happy about retiring after 30 plus years. No takers when he put it up for sale. His rent is $17K a month and he would have had to sign a new master lease for at least another five years. On top of that he said that when Bishop Estate turned the property management over to an outside company, the yearly building fee went up 150K and they are very unresponsive to problems or fixing things. He said he's happy to retire and loved the restaurant, the customers and employees. And, if any of you out there have always wanted a suit of armor, they're auctioning off all of the cool stuff that was in the restaurant next Saturday, Oct. 15. I think I need one of those cool tapestries or a ceramic elephant from India.

Comment

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...ose-next-year/

Kakaako Kitchen is closing.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
            they were a luncheon institution right from the start and did it well.
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Shocking, 'impossible' gas bills push restaurants to the brink of closures (yahoo.com)

Look for more restaurants to close.

Comment

Ishihara Market, a Kauai institution, to close after nearly 90 years in business | Business | kitv.com

Ishihara Market on Kauai is closing.

Comment

Popular pancake house closes its doors indefinitely (hawaiinewsnow.com)

The Original Pancake House is closing.

Comment

A string of restaurant closures prompt concerns from industry leaders (hawaiinewsnow.com)

There will probably more restaurant closures in the upcoming months.

Comment

Facing worsening economic headwinds, an Oahu institution calls it quits (for now) (msn.com)

Far East Chop Suey in Waipahu is closing.

Comment

Working...
                      X