Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?

What did you do with the toys ... papers ... love letters ... records/tapes ... trophies ... etc?
    Is it still stored at your parent's?
    Do you lug it around with you?
    Is it in public storage?

What's your take on keeping items that have sentimental value?

I'm originally from Kauai so I have been postponing cleaning my room till recently. I have a lot of things that I think people may want but am too lazy to bring it here (Oahu) to put on eBay. I just threw away a bunch of papers that was fun to look at but I don't think I'd look at it much in the future. It's funny but the dump on Kauai was busier than the main street on Sunday. There were lines of trucks waiting to throw away their junks.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Whatever happened to all your small kid stuff?

I keep most of my "big kid stuff". I use to throw stuff away but then later on I would regret it. Still got most of my love letters and trophies. I like looking at old journals from highschool. So funny how much ive changed...and in some ways stayed the same.

My mother is a pack rat...she still has old avon makeup from the 80's.

Comment

Let's see

Toys - Blown up on New Years Eve
      Records - Somewhere in the stacks at Jelly's
      Tapes - Most of them re-recorded, dubbed to Mp3, or somewhere along the side of the highways of Hawaii like acetate, polyester or mylar streemers on guardrails.

Love Letters - Part of Terra Firma or in my wife's case treasured for life.

Trophies - Never took them home cuz they weren't trophies for me, they were for my Dad and I didn't want to be reminded of those false achievements.

What do I keep? My kid's crayon drawings for Fathers day. Means more than all those damned certificates of achievement I received over the course of my life. I love my children, I hated my childhood.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Small kid stuff specifically? I haven't got much left, save collector-grade toys and things of specific sentimental value. After a couple of moves, I guess it all got trashed. If my mom didn't hold on to all my "Star Trek" stuff, I'd probably have nothing from my youth.

Well, I have a lot of papers from intermediate and high school... doodles, creative writing, stuff like that. Kind of embarassing to actually revisit, but not too much trouble to keep, either.

I don't think I'd ever want to pay for storage, so basically my threshold for keeping stuff is how cluttered I want my current place to be. We've got closets packed with stuff -- books, pictures, plaques, random knicknacks -- and purge only when we need space for one more box. Then, it's garage sale, eBay, or dumpster... usually dumpster.

Comment

I have nothing left from my childhood. I wish I did. I have 3 photos I borrowed from my "mom" and copied then gave them back.
          Awards? Certificates? Toys? My dad burned them all. The other items I did have my sister broke into my house 10 years ago and stole them all. Any cards I got mom threw into the fireplace.

I like Craig...hated my childhood and love my children.

I have one big storage box for each child. Every year I pick out special and regular drawings and 1 special shirt and anything else they might want.
          I also have one box for each child of memory photos and DVD's. So they will have that when they get ready to move out. Hopefully I choose things that are special to both of us.

I wish I had even one scrap from my childhood even though it was bad. Maybe something my grandmother gave me.
          Oh well (:
          Since when is psycho a bad thing??
          Sharing withother survivors...
          www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post

Trophies - Never took them home cuz they weren't trophies for me, they were for my Dad and I didn't want to be reminded of those false achievements.
            That one hits home for me. But I don't see mine as false achievements. I worked my a** off.

We do better with our kids.

Comment

Originally posted by PoiBoy View Post
              That one hits home for me. But I don't see mine as false achievements. I worked my a** off.

We do better with our kids.
              I too worked my okole off but there was no gain for the pain. My dad was an athlete. He wanted me to be one too so as he grew old he tried to plant his image onto me. My awards were a trophy for him not for me and I hated it. It went from presentation to garbage can. My dad thought I was a loser every night I'd come home alone from the awards ceremony with no trophy.

I never wanted to give him the honor of seeing that shiny metal thing HE won. Like in the movie "Cars" that Piston Cup trophy was just an empty cup to me.

My family is my personal achievement and the way I raise my kids is a direct reflection on My way of doing things not my Dad's.

Damn and to think I posted earlier that my second eldest boy can't even jump start his own car! BUT I CAN! Yeah Red is negative right? Right?
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                I too worked my okole off but there was no gain for the pain. My dad was an athlete. He wanted me to be one too so as he grew old he tried to plant his image onto me. My awards were a trophy for him not for me and I hated it. It went from presentation to garbage can. My dad thought I was a loser every night I'd come home alone from the awards ceremony with no trophy.

I never wanted to give him the honor of seeing that shiny metal thing HE won. Like in the movie "Cars" that Piston Cup trophy was just an empty cup to me.
                My father never was an athelete. He wanted me to do everything he never did. I was a good athlete...but constantly being pushed into things I didn't want to do caused me to hate sports. So I stopped playing in high school. Sometimes I wonder how far I could have gone. Now, i'm a sunday couch football player.
                My family is my personal achievement and the way I raise my kids is a direct reflection on My way of doing things not my Dad's.
                Your way yes. But this reminds me of a quote
                "your enemy is your best teacher". Problem is...I had to learn things backwards.

Damn and to think I posted earlier that my second eldest boy can't even jump start his own car! BUT I CAN! Yeah Red is negative right? Right?
                Me no car thief.
                Last edited by PoiBoy; January 16, 2007, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Car thief??
                  I can jump start my car! What does that have to do with stealing?

I just like to forget my lights are on!
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

It was a bad joke. n/m

Comment

Thank you, Craig - both for revealing all this to a buncha strangers on the internet, and for turning it into a strength, rather than passing the same behavior on down the line. It's one of the hardest things we ever do as a parent. (Blue - I know you're in this camp, too.)

Comment

Ever since I hit the road back in the 90s, I've traveled light. When I moved back from NoCal in 2000, I left my gear, my books, my writing and just about everything I owned behind and arrived back in Honolulu with only my backpack and my guitar.

As far as the small kid stuff goes, it's pretty much all gone, gradually given up to the ether with each move my family made while I was growing up. All I have left of my childhood is some pictures kept by my folks and my sisters and those delightful abandonment issues. Oh, yeah, and the physical scars of a kid who played hard and got hurt, about 70 stitches in my head by the time I was 12. But I'm not much of a "stuff" person. If I can't fit it into my backpack, I probably don't need it.
                        Don't be mean,
                        try to help.

Comment

Tonka Trucks - had the whole set of em...would be worth a fortune today

I have a couple of yearbooks, but my big box of pictures got lost somewhere along the way. Too Bad.

When I moved to Hawaii 15 years ago, I brought 2 suitcases and 3 boxes. Everything else ....... who knows???
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

My maddah wen chrow everyting of mine away!!

Well, not everything. She still has my "Book Club" books on her livingroom bookcase. And she held onto my highschool yearbooks until I brought them back with me. I have them somewhere.....in my basement. Also in my basement is a trophy from Arthur Murray Dance academy! The ribbons I won from running hs track are in my yearbooks.
                            Lovena

Comment

The priority of momento collecting is limited to pictures, school yearbooks and selected documents. As for personal ephemera such as baby teeth, first hair clipping, clay ashtray manufactured in my 2nd grade sweatshop, those have been tossed into the compost pile. It is a burden to carry it around. My kids have their own storage facilities and more power to them. But for me and my husband, its about books, pics and papers. Oh, and a few hula implements, which I now consider shelf art and dust occasionally.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X