Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Hawaii Hall
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Ali`i

Default 2010 Primary Election Day

Today is the Primary Election Day for the State of Hawaii. The purpose of this thread is to relate your experience in the voting process, like were there any long lines in trying to cast your ballot, or were you affected by the closure of the 90 something polling places?
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: 2010 Primary Election Day

My experience was great...a ballot, a glass of wine and a no postage needed envelope!
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
a ballot, a glass of wine and a no postage needed envelope!
Tutu, you are my hero(ine)! You ain't gettin' older babe, you gettin' smarter!

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Ali`i

Not really, matapule! Some folks love the energy and experience of voting at the polls. Not me! I don't like waiting in lines and I feel rushed (my own doing) once in the booth so that I don't contribute to a longer line. Well, that...and the polling locations don't serve wine!
Old September 18th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Ali`i

Normally I would have start off the day by going to the polls but I had scheduled a doctor's visit for this morning. So I got to Washington Middle School around 11am. Had two people in front of me for the signup. Did notice a line of 8 to 10 people waiting to put in their paper ballots into the machine, but that line was gone when I placed my ballot into it a few minutes later.

For me the process was kind of smooth.
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Ali`i

I voted by mail a couple of weeks ago - it was totally painless. My regular polling place is still open but was combined with another precinct so I had a feeling it would be really busy & I just didn't want to deal with it. I've now signed up for permanent absentee ballot status so I (hopefully) will never have to stand in line again.

Oh, and like TutuSue - being able to have a glass of wine with my voting duties was also an incentive
Old September 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Ali`i

I voted in Windward Mall about a week ago - no lines, but no wine....
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Red face Re: 2010 Primary Election Day

I love absentee voting and look forward to all online or mail-in elections. On the other hand, there's nothing quite like going to a polling place and doing your civic duty among your neighbors. My wife and I bring our kids, talking about the election process on our walk to and from the polls, and try to instill in them an appreciation for a participatory democracy, flawed as it may often be.

In fact, as technology and access advances, the experience of going to a polling place may someday be only a distant memory.

Today they were whining because it rained on us on the way there. I told them that compared to other young democracies, we've got it easy when it comes to access to a voting booth.

So... what outlet will you be relying on, primarily, for reporting on the returns tonight?
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Ali`i

I'm going to be watching returns at home on tv - probably Ch. 9 because they should have Dan Boylan & Howard Dicus as commentators.
Old September 18th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
So... what outlet will you be relying on, primarily, for reporting on the returns tonight?
Likely HT. Not being in Hawai`i, it's been fascinating reading all the political threads and postings from you folks. I have no idea who I would have supported, were I there, but I feel that I have learned more background on candidates from you folks than from standard media outlets.

Ryan - thanks for helping your keiki understand some values of being responsible citizens.
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
My wife and I bring our kids, talking about the election process on our walk to and from the polls, and try to instill in them an appreciation for a participatory democracy, flawed as it may often be.
Now that's what I call highly developed parenting skills!

maalie, Ryan.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Ali`i

I voted early this morning at Washington Intermediate. The same problem I experienced last election re-appeared there again. They had a problem getting the vote counting machine to work. There wasn’t much of a line getting in to vote, but there was a long line of people with ballot in hand waiting for the tech to figure out how to make it work. It took half an hour to get the machine to work properly. I’m amazed they haven’t resolved this issue by now.

I also thought the ballot was unnecessarily complicated. I could easily imagine someone invalidating the ballot. At the polling stations, the vote counting machine should detect an invalid ballot and you would have a chance to vote again, but that’s not the case with absentee ballots.

I'll probably watch the returns on Channel 9.
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Ali`i

Is it still eating crow when you vote for candidates who have no chance of winning?
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Ali`i

After the second printout, Abercrombie is winning in a landslide over the Mufster, 60-38%. He'll be heading into a general election battle with Aiona.

Also, looks like Carlisle is well on his way to an outright win tonight in the Honolulu mayor's race, maintaining a 4% lead over Caldwell.

Tonight is a good night.
Old September 19th, 2010, 06:14 AM
Ali`i

I voted early (1 hour wait in line), but decided to check if my vote was counted as counted on election day. Sure enough, it wasn't, so I voted again (no waiting). I'm worth 50 votes, but I could only cast 2 - I guess that's what happens when incompetence reigns at the polls - at least I boosted the voter percentages. As the saying goes,'Vote early, vote often!'

Last edited by salmoned; September 19th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: 2010 Primary Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
at Washington Intermediate. The same problem I experienced last election re-appeared there again. They had a problem getting the vote counting machine to work. There wasn’t much of a line getting in to vote, but there was a long line of people with ballot in hand waiting for the tech to figure out how to make it work. It took half an hour to get the machine to work properly. I’m amazed they haven’t resolved this issue by now.

I also thought the ballot was unnecessarily complicated. I could easily imagine someone invalidating the ballot.
On that note, I want to send a special mahalo to all the poll workers who worked yesterday. It was one of the worst-run elections I have experienced in more than a decade, and for those who survived it, you deserve a pat on the back.

I would like to make a few comments here. What kind of testing does Hart Intercivic do before posting their “escan ballot box machines” at each of the polling sites? At my site, like Honoruru experienced at Washington Middle School, the machine was not working when the polls opened.

It was not for lack of trying. The poll officials worked very hard with their limited training to get the machine up and running. It took a Hart employee (the “tech”) to replace the machine with a brand new one before people could vote. That should never happen!

Meanwhile, the electronic “JBO” voting machine wasn’t working either. So just like Honoruru said, at my site, there was a line of people waiting to process their ballots after they had voted.

Think about this: people were already discouraged from voting since polling places statewide and especially on O‘ahu (poor Voter Assistance Officials ) were consolidated en masse. Now throw in this voting machine fiasco, and you have to ask yourself: who is accountable for this mess?

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM

At the time I voted in the precinct mentioned (22-3) at 8:45 am, things were running smoothly. I waited in a short line for some people to run their ballots into the machine, which gave me just enough time to take pictures of the polling place and its horrible "green gone wild" wall paint.

Primary Election Day by macprohawaii, on Flickr

Primary Election Day by macprohawaii, on Flickr

The Miami Vice look is like so 80s.
Old September 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Ali`i

Here's a friend's experience that she posted on Facebook:
"Give yourself enough time to vote. Someone tried to tell me that my ballot would be a "provisional ballot" and there was no guarantee that it would be counted? "SUPERVISOR!" *Resolved* Good thing I spoke with the office of elections yesterday. Telling them I was blogging my voting experience with my 3k+ FB friends didn't hurt neither."

I asked her this question:
"BTW, who gave you the provisional ballot misinformation? Was it a volunteer or a voter standing in line?"

To which my friend replied:
"Chairperson. She got her info from a women on the phone who would not identify herself. Supervisor cleared it up quickly. Case of poor training."

Amazing. It makes me wonder how many other voters were told the same thing and didn't question the chairperson and/or walked away without voting.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TuNnL Send a message via Yahoo to TuNnL
Lightbulb Re: 2010 Primary Election Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
"BTW, who gave you the provisional ballot misinformation? Was it a volunteer or a voter standing in line?"

To which my friend replied:
"Chairperson. She got her info from a women on the phone who would not identify herself. Supervisor cleared it up quickly. Case of poor training."

Amazing. It makes me wonder how many other voters were told the same thing and didn't question the chairperson and/or walked away without voting.
It sounds to me that you are blaming the chairperson. Keep in mind that according to the election handbook (I've served as an election official) the chairperson is supposed to get her information from that "woman on the phone." The mysterious woman, is, in fact, a “control center” worker whose job it is to advise chairpersons statewide. If anyone was poorly trained, it was the woman on the phone. Hopefully someone from the state is reading this thread, and will advise the Office of Elections to hire more competent "control center" telephone operators.

Meanwhile, looks like Honoruru and myself weren’t the only ones experiencing the incompetence of Hart Intercivic. The Kailua side of the island also had defective machines. IMHO, we should fire this vendor and move on. Clearly, they are the real problem, not the Office of Elections directors we keep trying to blame:

Confusion mars election

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 05:55 a.m. HST, Sep 18, 2010

Quote:
Primary election day was not without the usual assortment of glitches. At least four Oahu voting machines malfunctioned. Some voters tried to cross party lines. And others scrambled just to find the right place to cast their ballots.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
USA TODAY, page 2A
11 March 1993
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Ali`i

Regarding "crossing party lines" in a primary election - I remember doing this in another state when I was younger. If you desired to vote for the candidates of a party other than your own, or if you were registered as Independent, you could sign a statement at the polling place that you were changing your party registration at that time. Then after voting, you could sign another one, changing affiliation back to whatever you were before. It was perfectly legal.

Does Hawai`i permit something similar?
Old September 20th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

The pledge is unnecessary here. All primary ballots are issued on the same piece of paper (this wasn't always the case; you used to get a separate piece of paper for each ballot; you'd choose one and the rest would be discarded). In the voting booth, you choose which ballot you'll vote on and membership in a party is completely irrelevant.

This confuses a LOT of voters who don't quite get the concept of a primary election.

I considered crossing over because there was only one Libertarian candidate on the ballot, and that was for Congress. However, once I stood in that booth with my pen in hand, I reminded myself what a vote on that ballot meant. I voted Libertarian. Go, Lloyd Mallan!