Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for a re-introduction

Aloha everyone,

My name is Carolyn and I am currently hailing from Salt Lake City, Utah. I came on here about a year ago when my husband and I were trying to decide whether to relocate to Oahu. I did a lot of lurking and even dared to post a few times. Then it didn't look like the job opportunity was going to work out for him so I drifted away...but suddenly everything has worked out and he accepted an offer this week. We'll be moving to Hawaii this July!

So I am back, hoping to make a few connections and get caught up on island life. I have wanted to jump into some conversations but thought it might be nice to reintroduce myself here first.

I look forward to getting to know you all!

Re: Time for a re-introduction

Well that's great for you! Enjoy your moving and arrival here!

Comment

Right on! Wish you all the bestest.
      I could show you some real cool spots around the island.
      Into hiking? Swimming? Or...
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I cannot *wait* to explore! Our family (me, my husband and a 3 and 4 year old) loves camping and hiking. If memory serves me, most of the trails on Oahu are too challenging for preschoolers so I'm hoping I'll be able to get out there on my own a bit. We love wildlife and plain old exploring. We'll be bringing our off-road capable Jeep (we like responsible off road exploration, on established 4WD trails). My husband loves to snorkle and is looking forward to taking up surfing. Admittedly, I am a complete chicken in the water and am content with letting the waves splash my feet, poking around in tide pools, trying to spot sea turtles, watching the surfers etc. (One of my big resolutions this year is to make progress to get over that fear and eventually actually learn to swim).

We also love learning about new cultures and trying new things, especially when it comes to food, and especially Asian cultures (starting to see why we're moving there?). I love cooking and growing as much of my own food as possible. And ornamental gardening too. In the warmer months here, I almost feel like my house is a waste because we spend so much of our time outside

My kids, of course, are mostly excited about the Pineapple Train.

Comment

Congratulations! I hope you have a smooth transition and a great time out there. I think it's cute your kids are excited for the Pineapple Train. Make sure to get them Pineapple Ice-Cream while you're at Dole, too!

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Yeah, wait until they find out we won't be riding the Pineapple Train every weekend...

Comment

Originally posted by spookrepitus View Post
              I cannot *wait* to explore! Our family (me, my husband and a 3 and 4 year old) loves camping and hiking. If memory serves me, most of the trails on Oahu are too challenging for preschoolers so I'm hoping I'll be able to get out there on my own a bit.
              Try the Makapuu lighhouse trail. It's paved so the kids can go along and it has great views. They might even see a whale.

Comment

Yeah, we did that a couple years ago when we were still in the stroller phase with both of them (I'm tough! ) Awesome views for the effort! It seems like a lot of people take their morning walk up there.

We are big hikers so they are used to having to do some walking - I am pretty sure they can do Manoa Falls, for example, without having to be carried (whether they will on any given day is another story...). For now that is about their limit, but they will keep growing....until eventually they can do "big" hikes or stay home by themselves!

We have relocated several times and one thing I love about being somewhere new is finding all the cool stuff...sometimes on purpose and sometimes by pure serendipity.

Comment

Aloha and welcome!! I hope you love living here.

Out of curiosity, what's behind your screen name? Spookrepitus is rather unusual.
                  ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I am surprised it took this long for someone to ask. The short answer is that Spookrepitus is my cat's name, and since it's a made-up word I use it as an internet handle all the time (no Carolyn2783 hassles for me). We usually call her (the cat) Spooky, tho.

But I know you're now going to ask why on earth my cat is named Spookrepitus....or at least I would. She's a black and white kitty we adopted in late September/early October...so Spooky. But we thought the name Crepitus would be cute because she was recovering from a leg fracture when we adopted her. Crepitus is the crunchy sound the ends of broken bones make when they rub together. Ok, so maybe that is more morbid than cute. Long story short, we just blended them.

She's getting old, though, and starting to have health problems. I can't help but think it's going to be bittersweet to be using her name all the time when she's gone....

Comment

Originally posted by spookrepitus View Post
                      I can't help but think it's going to be bittersweet to be using her name all the time when she's gone....
                      Of course it will, but its also a way to remember her fondly and often after she's passed. My avatar is of my beloved pet Ninja, who died almost two years ago, and I'm sure I'd never want to change it.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                      X