HawaiiThreads 5th Birthday Picnic at Hawaii Geek Meet - April 19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawaiiThreads 5th Birthday Picnic at Hawaii Geek Meet - April 19

Hard to believe, but HawaiiThreads.com will be celebrating its fifth anniversary in just over a week. (First post, April 4, 2004.) Time flies when you're having fun! And that means it's time for a party. A meetup. A picnic.

After all, our traditional Christmas gathering was scrubbed by heavy rains and flooding... we're more than overdue for a get together!

On April 19, 2009, I'm organizing the second annual "Hawaii Geek Meet" at Magic Island, picnic area #39 (courtesy our very own Helen!). And you, the beloved members of the HawaiiThreads.com 'ohana, are among the guests of honor.

The "Hawaii Geek Meet" is a potluck, outdoor (!!!) celebration of all things geeky, but more generally, online communities and people who are passionate about technical and creative endeavors. HawaiiThreads.com is one of Hawaii's best communities, IMHO, but from Twitter to TechHui, people in Hawaii naturally connect and do great things online.

So! HawaiiThreads.com represent! Please join the fun. There may even be prizes! As for the potluck, I'll bring a tent, a small grill, and cold canned drinks! Will you be there? What can you bring? Let everyone know!

Re: HawaiiThreads 5th Birthday Picnic at Hawaii Geek Meet - April 19

I put it on my calendar but won't be able to rsvp 'til closer to the date. I have a job scare around that time but it's not firmed up yet. Sounds like fun as was last year's.

Comment

Dang. Cannot.

Will be waiting for the pics, though.

Comment

It's only been 5 years?

That's it????? I thought you had been around a lot longer.

Have fun at the picnic! Take lots of pitchurs for those of us who cannot go...K?

Comment

Ditto what Tutu said. And if I’m still a vegetarian by April 19th, you know what potluck offerings I won’t be bringing.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
          USA TODAY, page 2A
          11 March 1993

Comment

Sunday. Bummer. Sundays are bad for me.

Comment

Aww, I always wanted to come to one of these. Looks like I'll miss this again, since I'll be on Oahu on the weekends before and after.
              Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                It's only been 5 years?

That's it????? I thought you had been around a lot longer.
                For HawaiiThreads yes. However there is HawaiiStories which has been around since March 2002, which had at least 4 gatherings before HawaiiThreads became into being.

For this gathering, I am going to bring the paper plates.

Comment

sweet I think i can make this one!!!
                  website - http://www.brianhancock.com
                  blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

I will be there, complete with allergic-to-sun garb, sketchbook in hand. I will probably bake something.
                    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
                    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

Okay!
                      I missed the last "Geek Meet" and won't let that happen again.

I'll bring some fruits. Easy to transport, doesn't need ice, good for you, etc.

Since I work that afternoon, I have a plan...
                      the day before I'll take an extra uniform to work so I can leave from Magic Island and go directly to work.

See ya's there!
                      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

It would be great to see you again, MM! It's been forever.

I know you have the CITO event on May 3, but is there any chance there could be a geocaching contingent at the Hawaii Geek Meet? Last year there were half a dozen, at least, including a couple of out-of-town visitors. I'm sure you could get people in this tech-friendly crowd interested in geocaching!

Last year, the Hawaii Geek Meet was an "event cache" you could get credit for attending, but I was told this year it can't be accepted since it's not only for geocachers. Still, again, I'd love to see some GPS gadgets and cache containers on display!

Comment

Okay Pzarquon!
                          I'll do a simple talk on the wild and wacky world of Geocaching...
                          Bring some printouts of cache web pages...
                          Most likely photos of various containers...
                          May think of other things and see if other 'cachers will come too...

And most importantly there is a geocache on Magic Island named...
                          Island Magic
                          So will bring my Garmin 60cx GPSr unit and lead those interested in an actual 'hunt'!
                          Last edited by Menehune Man; April 2, 2009, 04:33 PM. Reason: Add of course!
                          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Thanks, MM! I'd love to see you and others spread the geocaching love, and I'm happy to already see some HTers crossing over to participate in CITO. In addition to your gadgets and displays, bring some CITO flyers!

Everyone else, please join us. We haven't had a HT meetup in ages, after our New Year's dinner got flooded out! Many of you have been here since the beginning, and HT for me is one of my favorite of an "online community" truly having an impact in "the real world" here in Hawaii. Bring your family! (I will!)

If you can come, let us know, and let us know what you can bring! It is a potluck, after all!

I'm tied to several different groups coming down, so my contribution will probably be spread pretty thin, but it'll basically be a tent, a table, a cooler with ice, and lots of drinks (water, soda, juice).

Comment

Kalbi and whatevas.

P.K., Antonio, Kiana and Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X