Best Purchases of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Purchases of the Day

i know there's eric's electronics bargains thread, helen's dvd purchase stories thread, and a thread or two on black friday purchases. but i didn't see one where we could all share about something that we've bought and really enjoy or are glad we spent the money on, no matter what the category or price.

plastic bags seem to multiply like tribbles in our home nowadays, even if we re-use them as garbage bags. so just now, i ordered a bunch of greenbags from ecobags.com for us to use when shopping. they come as cheap as $2.15 and are much roomier than the canvas bags grocery stores sell with their own logo on them (they're 13.5" tall x 12.5" wide x 8.5" & hold as much as two grocery bags). i got one of the skull design so eric doesn't feel like he's carrying a girly tote, three of the "love this planet" design and five of the original greenbags because i plan on giving some as gifts.

recently, i bought a microfiber hair turban from sephora. i have very long, fine hair--and lots of it. 350 days of the year, i let it air dry since blowdrying it is labor-intensive when compared to the rest of my hair/makeup regime. this turban cuts my drying time drastically and keeps me from getting that humid aura around my face as i put on my make up (our bathroom isn't air-conditioned). i like that i put all my hair into it, twist the end of the towel at the top of my head and bring it down to the base of my head. there's a nifty loop that goes around a button so that hair and towel are neatly tucked. it's the best $20 i've spent on a beauty product in a long time since it literally keeps me from being a hot mess as i try to get ready for the day.

please share about your favorite recent purchase, whether it's a really tasty grocery item, an article of clothing, a car, a trinket or a plant. during these days when we have to be especially mindful about how we spend our cash, maybe we can help each other out with a gift idea, time- or money-saving item or other cool gotta-have-thing that is either under the radar or truly deserves the hype!
    superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Re: Best Purchases of the Day

regarding your "greenbags". if you are not a member yet, join the customer rewards program at http://downtoearth.org/. i'm pretty sure i got 1 bag free and when you use it they give you a 5 cent rebate. it was strong enough to carry some of my groceries i purchased in chinatown yesterday (can't always afford organics). made the day of it. lots of fun.

my favorite purchase recently was the "bioset" from johnnyseeds.com. it comes with 3 different sprouts that take app. 4 days to harvest. all you do is water 1-2x per day. that's it! for lunch today, i'll be enjoying either chinese red radish, mung beans or broccoli sprouts on either a tuna or all veggie sandwich.
    Last edited by kani-lehua; May 10, 2008, 10:35 AM.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

My favorite purchase, altho' not really recent, is the Foodsaver handheld vacuum sealer with accompanying cannisters. It allows my one person household to buy Costco size bags of salad and the fresh, cut up fruit platters...with no waste. It works!

While searching for a source URL it appears this product is now a bit elusive. Regardless, I love it and highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
        my favorite purchase recently was the "bioset" from johnnyseeds.com. it comes with 3 different sprouts that take app. 4 days to harvest. all you do is water 1-2x per day. that's it! for lunch today, i'll be enjoying either chinese red radish, mung beans or broccoli sprouts on either a tuna or all veggie sandwich.
        THANK YOU for posting this. i was looking for an herb garden like the one in the website you provided, to no avail (checked two walmarts & home depot, as well as the king st star market garden store). i thought this thread would be helpful; didn't realize i'd be the first one to be helped! yay!

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        My favorite purchase, altho' not really recent, is the Foodsaver handheld vacuum sealer with accompanying cannisters. It allows my one person household to buy Costco size bags of salad and the fresh, cut up fruit platters...with no waste. It works!

While searching for a source URL it appears this product is now a bit elusive. Regardless, I love it and highly recommend it.
        eric and i second that recommendation! we don't have the model you have, but the foodsaver has saved us money the same way it has you.

makes me wonder if mel has one!
        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
          [...]
          eric and i second that recommendation! we don't have the model you have, but the foodsaver has saved us money the same way it has you.
          [...]
          I also have the larger, vacuum bag version. I love that for freezing AND for safely sealing and storing artifacts...such as my dad's high school yearbook, class of 1935!

Comment

recently, i bought a microfiber hair turban from sephora
            Oh I should get that for my wife. She's always complaining about how long it takes for her hair to dry. Thanks!

One of my happiest surprise purchases, also $20, was a PaperPro stapler. Don't laugh. This thing rocks. You basically get the power of a staple gun in the form factor of a common stapler. Punching through 25 sheets of paper feels as effortless as a single sheet. The elegant power in your hand is delightful. Trust me. Use it once and you'll love it.

You can easily find it at Office Depot:
            http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...sktop-Stapler/

If you bring it to work, be sure to write your name on it, because people will "borrow" it
            "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
            "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
            "
            Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

johnnyseeds.com is a very interesting site. i got turned on to it by watching, yes, you guessed it, martha stewart.

the vacuum sealer that has been mentioned sounds like a good idea. however, it wouldn't work for me, or would it? i've become the "vacuum" of the family having to eat leftovers no one wants--the meals that hit the 3 day mark. after that, they're tossed. well, if i froze the stuff, then, yes it would work. something to think about.
              "chaos reigns within.
              order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                [...]
                the vacuum sealer that has been mentioned sounds like a good idea. however, it wouldn't work for me, or would it? i've become the "vacuum" of the family having to eat leftovers no one wants--the meals that hit the 3 day mark. after that, they're tossed. well, if i froze the stuff, then, yes it would work. something to think about.
                If you and your family will eat frozen leftovers then the price of the Tilia is worth it. Another advantage to the vacuum bag sealer is that, with all the air out of the bag, food can be kept frozen quite a bit longer...and with no freezer burn.

When I cook......I cook in bulk then freeze my own "TV dinners"! This can be done with leftovers, too. Makes for a very quick meal. I did this a lot when my kids still lived at home because my work schedule then was just as chaotic and unpredictable as it is now.

The canisters can also be used with the bag sealer but the bags can't be used with the handheld device. I leave the handheld sealer (it's also a wine sealer with the Foodsaver wine stoppers) on the countertop 24/7 and use it at least 3 times a day.

Comment

i've been fighting off a cold this last week. the aching head and stuffed sinuses, i can deal with. it's the super raw, sore throat that has been a pain.

cepacol's dual relief sore throat spray was my rescuer. the relief that the spray provided really lasts. a sore throat like the one i have can be so painful that it wakes me up at night. the chloraseptic one i used before would have to stay on my nightstand so that i could spray several times thru the night. not with this cepacol one--it helped me sleep rather soundly. additionally, it made talking while at work relatively bearable.

i think it cost me just under $5 at walgreens. i've also seen it at walmart.

Comment

Yesterday...CFL bulbs! I had $6. worth of coupons from HECO. City Mill unexpectedly gave me an additional $8. in coupons. $14. knocked off my total. Very cool...'cept one bulb has already burned out! Back to City Mill...

Today...two $1.00 side salads from McDs!

Comment

best recent purchase: cress seeds that i have in my bioset. started it yesterday and they are already starting to sprout.
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

eric and i bought 5 t-shirts, 2 short sleeve polos, a pair of dressier slippers, and a camisole at steve & barry's in waikele today. everything in the store cost $9.98 or less--specifically, the t-shirts were a dollar less. for nine items, we spent a total of $85.75.

i think overall the deals are better for men than women. the clothing quality is also a little spotty. i saw clothing with obvious sewing and/or fabric flaws. the women's & girls' t-shirts are on the thin side--perhaps better meant for layering (something i don't do much in hawaii). additionally, the women's clothing lines lean more towards junior in styling and size. polos and t-shirts for women all had cap sleeves, which i don't always care for. in contrast, the cotton weight on the men's t-shirts was more substantial, and the polo shirts were better constructed. definitely, if you shop there, make sure you scrutinize your choices carefully!

the clothing is kitschy, and if you're a fan of sarah jessica parker/sex in the city/laird hamilton/venus (or was it serena? can't remember) williams, steve & barry's is the store for you. besides what we bought, they also carry jeans, casual pants, shorts, workout clothing, and footwear.

i asked the cashier how long the $9.98 sale was going to be and she said that they didn't know. it would last however long corporate told them, she supposed.

i haven't bought anything from the website yet, but a girlfriend sent me an email saying that eyes lips face (elf) cosmetics is selling most of their stuff for a dollar because nordstrom is going to change the elf logo to nordstrom or something like that. i absolutely do not need any more cosmetics, but lip gloss with SPF 15 for a dollar is mighty tempting! anyone familiar with the brand?
                        Last edited by cynsaligia; June 8, 2008, 10:04 PM. Reason: forgot about elf.

Comment

agreed, cyn. good basics, but definitely keep your eye on the quality. i found that the shoes ran small. they didn't have my size jeans when i went there so i didn't get anything. also, it's venus' sportswear you speak of.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

recently, i bought a microfiber hair turban from sephora....
                            was it from the store at ala moana or did you have to order it online? (thanks for mentioning it; i think my wife would like it....)
                            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

at the amc sephora. you can call there or pearlridge to make sure it's in stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X