New Years Eve 2011 events list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Years Eve 2011 events list

Thought it might be fun to start a list of events for folks wanting to celebrate NYE and looking for something to do. Please add any you've heard about that sound fun and don't cost the usual arm and leg like the high priced hotels; some over $200. per person. Here's mine!

Al Waterson and Garry Moore/Little Richard/Sammy Davis/ad infinitum under one roof; the Hale Koa Hotel's Banyan Tree Showroom. Military and non-military revelers welcome! There's no doubt in my mind that this will be one heckuva great show. These 2 guys are crazy fun!

Only $69.95 per person and the price includes a fab buffet dinner, show, party favors, hats and a champagne toast at midnight. Additional drinks can be purchased at reasonable prices. Dinner service is at 7p and the show is from 9p til 12:30a. Validated parking is across the street at the Hale Koa garage.

Active military, retired ID card, current or retired DOD NAF/APF employees, please call 955-9546 to make your reservations. No military ID? Call Nancy Bernal at 947-5736 to provide your name and Nancy will obtain an F & B Card for you to make your reservations. For more info you can also email Nancy at NancyBernal@aol.com.

Re: New Years Eve events list

I'll most likely be attending a free event at off my building balcony and watch or count how many illegal fireworks or aerials go off (all of it is illegal this year, so if people are honest and good, that count should be "zero") ... and maybe take a picture... and then after that go to sleep and wake up early for the first sunrise... and take a picture of that.

Less than $69... less than $20.... probably a dollar to drive my car back and forth early the next morning to find a good spot to take that sunrise photo.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: New Years Eve events list

Originally posted by mel View Post

Less than $69... less than $20.... probably a dollar to drive my car back and forth early the next morning to find a good spot to take that sunrise photo.
      Spoken like a true Pake. LOL

Comment

Re: New Years Eve 2011 events list

Thank you for your input, Mel, but this thread is for those who enjoy going out on New Years Eve and may not have enough money to spring for the big ticket shows.

Comment

Well there are a couple of free fireworks shows... one in Waikiki and the other near Aloha Tower. Find free parking on the streets and you're good to go. There is one out in Ko Olina but you have to pay $20 for parking... but all still cheaper than staged musical events... there is a staged even at Aloha Tower but to see the fireworks you don't have to pay to go to the musical event.

Me, I'll stick with my cheap PA-Ke event... sunrise... free... almost.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Me, I'll stick with my cheap PA-Ke event... sunrise... free... almost.
            And if you share the photo with us here (as you often generously do), we all benefit. Happy New Year, Mel.

Comment

Well my New Year's eve day was wonderful!
              Don, Goldie and I sailed Kolohe from Keehi to the Ala Wai.
              The rebuilding of Keehi Marine Center's marina will start soon.

Flickr set

I was actually asleep last night by 10pm.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                And if you share the photo with us here (as you often generously do), we all benefit. Happy New Year, Mel.
                And here it is...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=585

Happy New Year to you all.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  Don, Goldie and I sailed Kolohe from Keehi to the Ala Wai.
                  Heavy winds, yeah? And I noticed no boom vang, and only one set of reefs in the mainsail. Is he going to add a second set? And I hope he stores the liferaft down below so it doesn't get lifted.
                  I saw this story posted yesterday and knew it wasn't you guys:

"Firefighters rescued two people on a sailboat today after their motor stopped working and they started drifting south of Oahu.
                  "The boaters called for help about 4:30 p.m. when the motor on the 22-foot sailboat failed, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. He said they didn’t know how to operate the sails and couldn’t stop the boat from drifting."A fire rescue boat towed the vessel back to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor about 5:15 p.m. No one was hurt."

Some people.
                  Glad you all had a great day! Nice set of photos, from you and from Mel.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

And here it is...

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...&postcount=585

Gorgeous - thank you, Mel. Was that crowd photo at Mokapu near H-3?

Comment

??? Mokapu is on Maui. If you meant Makapu`u, it's nowhere near the H-3.

Comment

And here it is...
                        Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                        Heavy winds, yeah? And I noticed no boom vang, and only one set of reefs in the mainsail. Is he going to add a second set? And I hope he stores the liferaft down below so it doesn't get lifted.

"Firefighters rescued two people on a sailboat today after their motor stopped working and they started drifting south of Oahu.
                        "The boaters called for help about 4:30 p.m. when the motor on the 22-foot sailboat failed, said Honolulu fire Capt. Terry Seelig. He said they didn’t know how to operate the sails and couldn’t stop the boat from drifting."A fire rescue boat towed the vessel back to the Ala Wai Boat Harbor about 5:15 p.m. No one was hurt."

Some people.
                        Glad you all had a great day! Nice set of photos, from you and from Mel.
                        BEAUTIFUL sunrise photos Mel!!! Taken from one of the Diamond Head lookouts I believe.

Very light breezes but a lovely time! Goldie's very first sail and she was cool.
                        Yes Likanui... no boom vang yet, but on the wish list. Also another set of reef points for the main will be done asap. I bought a 13' heavy-walled aluminum pipe and we built a better reaching pole recently. We emptied Don's storage room so he no longer has that bill. Everything is either in the camper or on the boat. Hope no one messes with the life raft, no room below for it.

We heard the call asking to see if someone would tow them back in on channel 16. The Coast Guard asked them to switch to channel 22. So we did also to listen in.
                        Yes they were newbies that didn't know how to sail. A sad and awkward situation for sure. Glad they got help and home.
                        Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

??? Mokapu is on Maui. If you meant Makapu`u, it's nowhere near the H-3.
                          No, I am speaking of Mokapu, the subdistrict of Kailua. Maybe Aikahi would have been the better term to use?

Comment

No, I am speaking of Mokapu, the subdistrict of Kailua. Maybe Aikahi would have been the better term to use?
                            That area is actually called Aikahi Park. And Mokapu Boulevard is called Saddle Road by everyone over here. It runs from Kaneohe Bay Drive to the rear entrance to the Marine Corps base.
                            Anyway, there's nothing at all in that area that looks anything like Mel's crowd shot. I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
                            I figured you just had too much champagne last night, Leo.

Comment

I agree with MM that it's one of the Diamond Head lookouts, somewhere near the lighthouse.
                              Right you are, according to Mel's Flickr account. I wondered why he would have been Windward side, since he's town side...

(I confess, it was the AF's guess.)

(Oh, and I was drinking sake instead of champagne, though I prefer Prosecco...)

Comment

Working...
                              X