Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Apple Announcements

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    Not really a frustration? Whatever. Tell that to the Android owners who have gotten excited whenever their favorite media service/game developer hypes the upcoming release of a new Android app,..... only to be disappointed when the new app comes out and they discover that their particular handset offers only partial or zero functionality.
    Like I said, all mindset. I have now switched over to an Android phone in the past month, I'm not the slightest bit frustrated as I anticipated the pitfalls and pluses of using open source vs proprietary.

Anyone who makes decisions based solely on hypes will usually be disappointed, just like all the Apple fans expecting an iPhone 5 that would be much more than the iPhone 4S.

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Like I said, all mindset. I have now switched over to an Android phone in the past month, I'm not the slightest bit frustrated as I anticipated the pitfalls and pluses of using open source vs proprietary.
      Bully for you. But for other people whose standards are, shall we say, a "bit" more rigid than your overly forgiving one, it can lead to real problems. Problems that don't simply disappear by changing one's mindset.

PCMag.com

What's wrong with fragmentation? We've vented many times in the past, but DeGusta does a fine job of explaining how fragmentation screws over Android owners in terms of security and app development.

"If a security or privacy problem popped up in old versions of Android or its associated apps (i.e. the browser), it's hard to imagine that all of these no-longer-supported phones would be updated," he says as one example.
      For those of you who are concerned about security and privacy issues, then you had better be worried when the time comes that your Android handset is no longer updated and supported. Or,.... you can adopt the "mindset" that the problem is all in your head and pretend that hacking threats don't exist. Take your pick.

On the flipside, he notes that Apple iPhones are updated on day one of a major iOS release, simply because Apple enjoys a direct relationship with its phone owners. On the other hand, Android has to dig through unmotivated cell phone manufacturers and conservative carriers send an update.

"In other words, Apple's way of getting you to buy a new phone is to make you really happy with your current one, whereas apparently Android phone makers think they can get you to buy a new phone by making you really unhappy with your current one," DeGusta concludes.
      Food for thought, especially for those of you who are buying a smartphone for the first time. When comparing handsets, don't just focus on the basic features, like you may have done when you were shopping around for regular cell phones. Look at the company's history when it comes to providing long-term support. When it comes to any device that hooks up to the internet, the updating of the OS/firmware is an often overlooked, but very important component.

Here is a chart that Michael Degusta of The Understatement made, comparing the update history of the iPhone and the Android devices that have been out since July of 2010.

And before anyone shoots off their mouth, claiming that this chart is the work of some Apple fanboy, offer evidence first which shows Degusta's data is inaccurate.

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
      Anyone who makes decisions based solely on hypes will usually be disappointed, just like all the Apple fans expecting an iPhone 5 that would be much more than the iPhone 4S.
      Apples and oranges. (Pardon the pun!)

When people shelled out money to buy the iPhone 4S, they knew exactly what they were getting and paying for. This is not the same as what I was talking about earlier (i.e. people paying for an app from the Android Market which promises to do this and that,... and then finding out the darn thing doesn't work as advertised after you install it on your particular handset).

Morevoer, Apple never made any promises about an iPhone 5 coming out in 2011. That "hype" was in reality, speculation and rumors coming from sources outside of Apple. If you or anyone else bought into those unfounded rumors, then one needs to only look in the mirror to find the party responsible for having feelings of disappointment over the iPhone 4S.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Samsung Passes Apple, Nokia In Global Smartphone Shipments

Apple may be seeing some success in the courts when it comes to its war on Samsung, but Samsung has the upper hand when it comes to sheer shipment numbers. According to market research firm Strategy Analytics, Samsung shipped 27.8 million smartphones globally during the third quarter of 2011, up from a mere 7.5 million during the same quarter in 2010. That’s an increase of 370 percent year-over-year, allowing Samsung to leapfrog both Apple and Nokia.

Apple, by comparison, shipped 17.1 million handsets during Q3 2011, up from 14.1 million in the year-ago quarter.
        The above is from a non-Apple source.

Since I don't own or intend to own any type of cell phone I find all of this back and forth just interesting from an academic point of view (whatever that may be)....

Surely I am an Apple fan, but my use of iOS is in Apple's niche product of the iPod Touch which has no phone and almost no other competitor in the hand held mobile market that is not a smart phone or a tablet. iPod Touch is just the best portable computer (to me) that doubles as a music and video player, still and video camera and does most of the same apps that iPhone and iPad can do without the monthly cell phone charge. And that I like.

But folks carry on with the back and forth. It's interesting reading for when I am bored... kind of reminds me of the old DOS vs. Mac arguments of years gone by.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          Since I don't own or intend to own any type of cell phone ...
          That sort of surprises me, since you're pretty tech-savvy, Mel, as well as an independent businessman. Yet I can respect it, because I held out for quite a while myself, until I found it valuable to have one, during a period when (a) some family members needed to reach me at any time, and (b) I was working a contract job in a studio that had no phone.

Comment

I'm one that absolutely needs a smartphone.

Working 11-hour days six days a week, and highly dependent on commission sales, I can't be sitting at a computer generating or waiting for email. That coupled with being the IT Chair for the Hawaii Lions statewide, I use cloud-based computing a lot.

I literally track five very active email accounts including one corporate email that requires constant monitoring for sales leads (hence the need for a BB smartphone that can handle corporate email exchange server applications) that require immediate replies.

Having a reliable smartphone is critical to me on a day to day basis and having it small enough to be able to tuck it away so I can use both hands is a necessity. A tablet computer was considered but then I'd have to put it down during a vehicle demonstration and it's easy to forget it as you are focused on the needs of the customer. Most times it's on the showroom floor. Not a good place to put anything electronic with a glass screen.

One car sale per month gained thru the use of my BB will pay for the monthly data plan many times over. Having a smartphone with a data plan has allowed me to expand my sales abilities while updating the Hawaii Lions and the Waiakea Lions web/blogsites. I've burned out one Palm Treo and one Blackberry Storm I smartphone and pretty soon my Blackberry Storm II smartphone. Definately a well-used business and civic tool.

This is why I need a smartphone that works well and my dillema of function vs personal integrity. Man that iPhone 4 really works well (except for the corporate email part) and I truly wanted to get it, but my moral compass continues to point me away from it.

What's making the iPhone 4 (not the 4s) even more inviting is that Apple just announced this week that they are dropping the price of the iPhone 4 to $99 and the iPhone 3Gs will be offered free now that the iPhone 4s is now available.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Bully for you. But for other people whose standards are, shall we say, a "bit" more rigid than your overly forgiving one, it can lead to real problems. Problems that don't simply disappear by changing one's mindset.
              How is that I'm overly forgiving when I've set my expectations at the appropriate level? There's plenty of reviews and discussion to make an informed choice on what to buy.

For those of you who are concerned about security and privacy issues, then you had better be worried when the time comes that your Android handset is no longer updated and supported. Or,.... you can adopt the "mindset" that the problem is all in your head and pretend that hacking threats don't exist. Take your pick.
              So can I address the vulnerablility with malware via pdf as discovered by a German security agency, especially on the older iPhones? Or how about that hidden unencrypted file on the iPhone that collects data on user movement? Only when confronted did Apple say it was an "error" for it to retain the volume of data and not let a user opt out. Does the iPhone use AES encryption like BB does if security and privacy is your #1 priority? It certainly is for enterprises which is why they are still hanging onto BB.

Food for thought, especially for those of you who are buying a smartphone for the first time. When comparing handsets, don't just focus on the basic features, like you may have done when you were shopping around for regular cell phones. Look at the company's history when it comes to providing long-term support. When it comes to any device that hooks up to the internet, the updating of the OS/firmware is an often overlooked, but very important component.

Here is a chart that Michael Degusta of The Understatement made, comparing the update history of the iPhone and the Android devices that have been out since July of 2010.

And before anyone shoots off their mouth, claiming that this chart is the work of some Apple fanboy, offer evidence first which shows Degusta's data is inaccurate.
              So if I bought an Apple iPhone 3G in June 2010, can I load iOS5 introduced this month? Also, does that chart take into account Android rolled out many more version updates than iOS has?

Apples and oranges. (Pardon the pun!)

When people shelled out money to buy the iPhone 4S, they knew exactly what they were getting and paying for. This is not the same as what I was talking about earlier (i.e. people paying for an app from the Android Market which promises to do this and that,... and then finding out the darn thing doesn't work as advertised after you install it on your particular handset).

Morevoer, Apple never made any promises about an iPhone 5 coming out in 2011. That "hype" was in reality, speculation and rumors coming from sources outside of Apple. If you or anyone else bought into those unfounded rumors, then one needs to only look in the mirror to find the party responsible for having feelings of disappointment over the iPhone 4S.
              How does all this refute my statement? When someone simply makes a decision solely on hype, regardless of source, they will most likely be disappointed. Does research and cross shopping not mean anything?

I guess people who shelled out money to buy the iPhone4 knew exactly they were buying a phone that dropped calls when holding the phone in a certain way bridged the antennas right? Or the camera on the iPhone4 producing a green halo under certain conditions that never existed on the iPhone3GS?

Apple has a great niche, they make things user friendly and it's an important point for those that are less tech savvy. But it comes with a hefty price. They cost more, period. If subscribing to a 2 yr contract, they may appear to be on par, but let's not forget taxes are based on MSRP and they have a higher MSRP. They also don't have 4G capability which in turn also affects battery consumption on Android devices, (avoid using 4G and the battery life on these Androids can literally double or more). If you don't want contracts, as mentioned, their MSRP is way more than a typical Android device with comparable specs. With the money I'm saving using a month to month contract, I will make up for the difference in cost of my Android phone at MRSP vs contract in 4 months. Throw in another 5 months and I'll essentially have recouped the cost of the whole phone. Not gonna happen in 9 months with an iPhone. I can then simply choose to buy another at that point if I really wanted to.

If you want to keep cross comparing, at least do it on all fronts. As I said early on, buy what fits one's needs.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                This is why I need a smartphone that works well and my dillema of function vs personal integrity. Man that iPhone 4 really works well (except for the corporate email part) and I truly wanted to get it, but my moral compass continues to point me away from it.
                Well Craig, your rationale is straight-forward and no-nonsense. Hope that whatever smartphone you end up purchasing works out well for your business.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

So a highly regarded cybersecurity expert finds two security vulnerabilities and Apple gets sore.....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45213777.../#.TrnndfQr27s

Comment

I'm definately not the first to accuse me and I won't deny being one but I am such a f*cking hypocrite!

The stars lined up for me and I made a purchase:

Star #1: I wore out my BB Storm 2 to the point where I had to turn off the "radio" function that controls the 3G reception and the cellular function then turn it on again to receive calls and messages. Lost three sales because I didn't respond fast enough and those customers bought elsewhere costing me about $1,000 in commissions.

Star #2: I did get an unexpected sales bonus this month, nothing big only $50 for being such a good employee.

Star #3: My wife was in such a giving mood and I could have asked for the Moon!

And last but not least...

Star #4: Walmart had the iPhone 4 (not the 4S) on sale for $88

I had money, I had a reason to replace my BB, I had my wife's blessings, and I had the opportunity to get a phone cheaper than getting another BB.

All that was left was that integrity piece...that my wife justified for me getting the iPhone. And that was this one simple statement: Pastor Sheldon (from our church) has an iPhone and he's okay with it.

Now that I've owned an iPhone 4 for a few days now and getting used to it, I can make one very important statement for those of us who depend on email A LOT!!! And that is, the BB is wayyyyy more intuitive, effective and faster than the iPhone. There are a lot more effective tools in a BB that allows for extremely fast response times when emailing clients. Even BB's text features allow you to directly phone dial out from a text message that is typed into a text body, an email letter, Facebook post, even a Word or Excel file displaying a typed phone number.

That is very important to me and unfortunately the iPhone can't do that.

email messages, FB messages, any internet-generated message gets to my BB faster than my iPhone.

Now the question to all of you who are iPhone users...how do I get my ringtone I made exclusively for my wife onto my iPhone? I don't want to buy a ringtone but I can't figure out how to import an mp3 ringtone over to my iPhone.

Comment

All that was left was that integrity piece...that my wife justified for me getting the iPhone. And that was this one simple statement: Pastor Sheldon (from our church) has an iPhone and he's okay with it.
                      If Cecilio Rodririguez gets convicted for sexual abuse, are you going to stop listening to C&K recordings?

In light of the scandal surrounding Rupert Murdoch, are you going to stop watching all NFL games telecast on the FOX network?

If one can only purchase products/services provided by people with perfect morals, then the pickin's are going to be mighty slim.

Now the question to all of you who are iPhone users...how do I get my ringtone I made exclusively for my wife onto my iPhone? I don't want to buy a ringtone but I can't figure out how to import an mp3 ringtone over to my iPhone.
                      The instructions contained in this article worked like a charm for me.
                      Last edited by Frankie's Market; November 11, 2011, 04:32 AM.

Comment

If one can only purchase products/services provided by people with perfect morals, then the pickin's are going to be mighty slim.
                        Amen. Clean hands are hard to find in the world.

Comment

call me wishy washy but I gave my wife my iPhone 4 and bought a Blackberry Torch for Verizon. This one doesn't have the slide out keyboard like the AT&T model. And guess what! Defective right outta the box. Now I gotta drive all the way back to Kona to return and get another one from Costco. Saved $50 by buying thru Costco, spent $36 bucks in gas to get it, now gotta spend another $36 bucks to return and replace. So much for saving $50. Oh well it's a good excuse to do another Costco Run from Hilo. Costco is around 129 miles from Hilo to Kona then another 129 miles back.

Comment

The markets are being flooded with stuff that has built in limitations and being paraded as the kewl next thing.
                            Electronics are fine, in their rightful place, but a big flat panel TV is the next opiate for the masses as others have commented.
                            Computers have an addictive nature akin to gaming machines.
                            In an earthly paradise like Hawaii there is no need to mope indoors staring at screens that Helco charges for by the minute.
                            Consider the fact that the foxconn factories where some apple products are built have a suicide fence around the upper floors of the building to stop anguished employees hurling themselves to their death.

Comment

In case you didn't catch it, here's a link leading to video coverage of Apple's press conference yesterday.

While much of the buzz has been focused on the iPhone 5 and the features of iOS 6, there were several other new products that were introduced, like newly redesigned models of the iPod Nano, iPod Touch, as well as a revamped iTunes software.

Comment

It sure was a yawner.

Comment

Working...
                                X